Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:31:29 PM  Show Profile
Peg,
Sorry for your loss, losing our dear friends is difficult. When I lost my last fourlegged commrade, I really greived for a while. Took a long time for me to get on with life and even think about getting another pet.

Hugs to you. Jennifer

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  2:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Pam, Angela & Lin...I have your great suggestions for names down.

So, far I have one favorite from each person...this is going to be fun!

Bless You All,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  4:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I like Billie too!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Boisesue
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Susan
Boise ID
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  5:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies, May I join you on your porch? My favorite place to be is on the porch. Any room for a new sister?
Boisesue
Farmgirl #1731
Go to Top of Page

Boisesue
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Susan
Boise ID
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  5:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Hello Peg, I'm really new here and just asked if I could join you ladies on the porch. Then I went to this last page of posting and read that you lost a beloved member of your family. It's very hard to lose a pet. My husband and I are still not over having lost our dog and it's been over two years. They are always giving us such unconditional love. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Consider this message a virtual hug of comfort to you.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  6:57:47 PM  Show Profile
Susan... Welcome To The Porch. And Thank You For The Virtual Hug! It has been a hard day...and I really needed that hug too!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  7:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Megan...think of another name for my Three Wheeler. I know you said you liked Billie too but If you want a chance to win the prize for best name you have to think of your own.

Blessings,
~Peggy

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  7:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Susan, welcome to the porch!
Peggy, I'll come up with my own name!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  7:21:30 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Susan, there's always room for one more! It's such a comforting place!! You were so considerate to ask about joining.......I think I just kind of barged in! Sigh....anyway, they're all wonderful!! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  7:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Susan! This is a very large porch! There is always room for one more!

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  09:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Well I have topic, some of my friends on FB have been discussing how we "gift" at Christmas time. This gifting is to family/friends/grands etc. Can I hear from some of my farmsisters on what they do for gifting? Jen

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  09:29:43 AM  Show Profile
My aunts christmas party has very strict rules and they make it a gift to everyone. We all have to make a side dish to bring no less than 4 weeks before and freeze it. No one is allowed to dress up, jeans or sweat pants only. Any gifts must have been aquired free at least 4 weeks before or made at least 4 weeks before. No discussing schedules or money connected to the holidays. If anyone is fussin or fightin with anyone else at the party a truce is in effect for the party, spouses included. I know it seems strange and has a lot of rules, but it is the most peaceful 3 hours of the whole season! My aunt and I don't really get along, but at this party no one is judging or snipping and we can laugh together and share recipes and ideas. It's the best present of the season. Plus, we go home with lots of cookies, dessert breads, jams, and relishes that everyone made. It gives you lots to set out when guests drop in for surprise gift exchanges, and something to grab to give them!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  10:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Angela, that sounds wonderful and how ingenious to have come up with that idea! I wonder about gifts though...who gives to who? And how many people are there?

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!

Edited by - Lin on Jul 06 2010 10:29:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  11:49:50 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn,
I would name your bike "RubyRae" I just like the sound of it.
Connie

LULU
farmgirl sister #1369
"Scattered Prairie Gals" chapter

Take care and write soon.
When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  1:24:29 PM  Show Profile
At the party there is usually 10 families. Therefor, each person brings 9 gifts for the other families. There are also 5 young children, who always recieve new scarves and mittens as their gifts. Each person who knits chooses a color and makes for all the little ones so they have several colors to match different outfits. Sometimes people will make a batch of brownies or cookies and box them up special for the little ones as well. It takes all the guess work out of tryin to buy for each person. You just pick one thing and make it for each family.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  1:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Angela, I'm a little confused(probably because it's summer and my mind is not in the right place:). So, say one family would make 9 batches of brownies, and then another family would make, say, 9 sets of dishcloths or something like that? It sounds fun never the less!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  1:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Connie...got you down for Rubie Rae.

blessings,
~PEGGY

Lady In Red

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Peg,How about "Gertie", short for Gertrude...when she's acting out you can give her a shout out" GERTRUDE"! When she's rolling nice, she's Gertie, let's go play!!!!

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:03:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! Our porch was on page 107 when I left for vacation! I had to read 6 pages to get caught up on the week!

Our vacation was fun. My side of the family has been having reunions since the 1950s. My dad was one of 10 kids and I have over 60 first cousins! It used to be that everyone came to the annual reunion. Now there are just 2 of the 10 original generation left alive. This year only 5 families were represented and at that by only one family member for some. I wonder if the annual reunion will continue after the 2 aunts pass away?

The other reunion was my husband's siblings and their families. We have all been getting together for a week at a rented camp on the St Lawrence River for 10 years. It is a good thing that we all love and like each other! Only one nephew who lives in California couldn't make it this year. The cousins are all very close. Each family has to make dinner and clean up one time for the whole gang during the week. The men cook breakfast and lunch is whatever people want to eat on their own. The card games go into the wee hours of the night. Fishing, cards, picture puzzles, good books, good food, great family, chasing kids, the beach, hiking, bicycling, naps. And Quelph! What a fun game!!! The whole gang ages 15-75 stay up all night playing and laughing hysterically! We don't start it until the younger kids have gone to sleep because no one wants to stop playing to tuck them in.

Karrieann- I love the katydids. When I hear them I close my eyes and it takes me back to growing up on the farm in northern New York.

Darlene- In regards to dusting, a few years ago when I returned to grad school as a working mother of 5 a wise professor said, "Dust is a protective layer for your wood furniture- treat it well."

Angie- Glad that your little one is fine now. The player piano sounds great! I have a friend who owns one and it is so much fun to visit and watch/listen to it.

Dana- hope you are enjoying your vacation!

Sharon- congrats on week 3 of Weight Watchers. I lost 110 lbs with WW a few years ago. I need to rejoin because I have regained 35 of those lost pounds. My knees can tell I have gained weight.

Susan- Welcome to the proch!

Peggy- I am so sorry to read about Sterling. Our 10 year old Chow Chow mix is protective of us and aggressive with strangers so we have to be very diligent when she is around neighbors and children, even our grandkids. Hugs to you.

Peggy (again)- I love reading about your "new" bike! I love bicycling. I named both of my bikes; my hybrid is Baby and my road bike is Blue. You might be able to find the fenders and other parts you need online. If you supply the hard-to-find parts the bike shop will probably fix it for you.

Carpe diem!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Yes. If there are 10 families attending, then your one of the ten families, so you would make nine gifts. You can choose any gift you'd like and just make nine of them. We aren't even supposed to gift wrap them. It is so easy for me. I simply start puttin back a few jars each time I make jelly and then set the box of them by the door when we get there. As each family leaves they take an item from each box except for the one they brought. It is my favorite party except for our personal gift time christmas morning. I think the whole no fussin and no stressful talk thing is what makes it work so well. It's a little time away from the holiday pressure and a little peace and relaxation. My aunt even calls all of us the month before to remind us to get our party things done and check on the number of families coming and confirm the date with everyone. She really has taken all the thought out of it for us. It's really nice.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:18:48 PM  Show Profile

Lida...well, if you named your bikes...help me name mine and you just might win the Contest. Come on
give it a try girl!

Glad to hear that you had so much fun at the Family Reunions. You must be
a "Waltens" Family. Any John-boys in the bunch? LOL

Thanks for your comments on Sterling. We are all still grieving even my little dog.

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 06 2010 3:20:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:23:32 PM  Show Profile
I just joined in, and saw this virtual porch sitting, I love that. Earlier this month I visitid my Mom in amish country and I was porch sitting and waving at all the cars and buggys going by-
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:28:49 PM  Show Profile
Forgot that I was going to address the Christmas discussion...though it is hard to think along those lines on our first real HOT day this summer. We have gone to 100% Giving Gift Cards. (I know a lot of people think that is just so impersonal) Really though it is just the opposite...it is the most personal gift you can give. Even for the grandkids (no matter how young they are) That way everyone gets exactly what they want and they are happy. There is NO RE-GIFTING in our family at all. LOL We just started this two years ago when mailing the packages became more expensive that the gift inside the box. I was spending $100 + just in mailing costs. I thought to myself..."This is stupid, you could buy 2-4 more gifts for that price (depending if it was for an adult or a child). My husband and I have 6 kids between us and their significant others and 7 grandkids and we buy for them all. I usually start in Oct (even purchasing the gift cards.) Anyway...it's the modern more cost affect way but it works for us.

KATHY...WELCOME TO THE PORCH! Hope you will come back and join us...we have a great time together and the porch is big enough for everyone.
Tonight I thought I might bring some Peach Iced Tea and Blueberry scones (virtual non caloric food). So, come on back!

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 06 2010 3:34:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Kathy!!!
You'll love the porch!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  3:41:34 PM  Show Profile
thank you for the welcomes!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page