Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2015 :  3:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine...good to have you back on. We all have those times...you are quite right. For me It has been a
hectic week and I am so tired...just trying to recuperate. It takes me so much longer with the Fibro.

Judy...thanks for crying with me. That is when you know you have a great friend...when they are willing to share
both your tears of sorrow and your tears of Joy. Thanks Sweet Sister.

Well, Elijah dressed up as a Minion for Halloween. He looked so cute!!! The weather here was awful! We got 2 inches
of rain just yesterday a lone. So everyone took their kids to the Malls for trick or treating. And my kids said that
it was so crazy and packed-out it was worse than the Christmas Season or Black Friday. It was just hot and stifling and they couldn't get out of there fast enough. So, Our house was their last stop and so they spent about 45 minutes here.
I gave Elijah a big Candy Corn Colored Plastic Bucket filled with Fruit Snacks and then a Minion Bank with some Coin
he could put into it. He must have filled it and then got it back out and filled it again...about 10 times. It was a
Hit.

Since we live in an Apartment we don't do Trick or Treaters. Just our Grandson.

Going to be another busy week for me and then the following week I head to Seattle...if they are all well up there.
I am NOT going if they have colds or flu because they got us all so sick last year right at Christmas. So, Keeping
my fingers crossed that they stay well and me too.

Ok...I will be on here more this week. Take care and I hope you all had a Great Weekend!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  1:39:37 PM  Show Profile
Peggy - What wonderful news. 4 years is so much better than 34! And what a wonderful surprise from your son. I would love to see a picture of your minion if you have one :)

I had a bit of a crazy weekend. Thursday night a cow got the milker hose tangled around her head on the way out the door. It's happened many many times before. Usually it results in the milker on the floor or the hoses come unhooked. Not this time. Somehow the hoses held tight and our glass milk line was shattered in 2 sections and 6 fittings were broken. We didn't get in until 11:45 pm. Friday I went to Michigan for my brothers wedding. Everything was nice, but a long day. Saturday was the wedding - cold and raining all day. Fortunately the bride is very carefree. We just added umbrellas to the outside pictures and all was well. At least until I left to come home. Some how I got headed the wrong way on a back country road and ended up in Grand Rapids (about and hour and half west when I needed to be going east). So my 3 hour trip home turned into a 6 hour trip home and I didn't get back until 3am. Also my favorite cow had her calf but it was d.o.a. so no pictures. The last on is due in 2 days. Hopefully it goes better. It's a beautiful 73 degrees out today. By this weekend when we go to the Christmas open houses it's supposed to by back into the mid 50's. Perfect weather for all the cider and cookies the stores will have out.

Milking time gotta go.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  2:40:18 PM  Show Profile
OMGosh Heather, you just confirmed my Ohio 'Black Hole/Bermuda Triangle' theory!!!(yes we do have one)
Yesterday was so gorgeous(yes, it has been lovely weather for Ohio hasn't it?)that we decided to go to Wooster to our favorite used&rare book store,"Books In Stock," and also one of their nice restaurants. It was getting dark when we decided to head home so Dave decided to go the way we usually do instead of some different route, which we sometimes do just to mix it up a bit. WELL.... long story short, we got lost. We were in "Deliverance", I think...if ya'll remember that movie from the 70's. hahaha But, no, it wasn't funny. It was creepy. At one of our stops to read the map we sat in the parking lot of a redneck bar watching folk in pick-up trucks and motorcycles being rowdy and giving us the "hairy eyeball,"wondering what we were doing and who we were. We were just lost and reading our map. Mind you this place was in the middle of nowhere and the neon lights of the place just added to the 'Deliverance' atmosphere. If I'd have heard a banjo just then...I would have peed myself.lol
We drove for an hour that felt like a day, in no-mans-land and somehow ended up back where we started at a gas station reading the map BEFORE we got lost. We took a road opposite the one we took the first time and I kid you not, 1 minute that direction took us to the freeway...where we wanted to be in the first place. It was like "Twilight Zone." It was a BIG Black Hole I tell ya! Creepy!
So Ya...we aren't going anyplace the rest of THIS week. We are sticking to our own neighborhood, Heather. After hearing your story to confirm it...it's just a weird time in Ohio! hahahahaha

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  6:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi My Porchies...Oh, my goodness Heather and Judy...remind me never to go on a ride with either of you two. ROFLOL
I don't like taking the Scenic Route especially on the way home from somewhere. I usually want to get home to my
bed. LOL

Heather were you driving by yourself or did you have someone with you? I would hate to get lost by myself. That
would be so creepy especially at night.

Judy I could hear that Banjo playing just reading your story. I don't think I would have liked having to sit in
a Biker Bar Parking Lot reading a Map either. I bet they were trying to decide if you were Rednecks or not. LOL
I'm just glad you got out of there and home alive before the Banjo Music transitioned to the Twilight Zone Music.
I'm glad that you have decided to stay home for a couple of days. Maybe just stay there and watch old re-runs of
Alfred Hitchcock or something. Tee Hee Hee!!!

Well, today I went to my sons and watched my lil' Man. His mommy took her mom to the Hospital for her eye-surgery
and my son had to work. So, Elijah and I did stickers and he made a card for his Grandma Patti. Then I cut his
hair and made him lunch. I was suppose to be at their house at 8:00 o'clock this morning...so guess what time I woke
up on my own? 4:00 am and I couldn't go back to sleep. Then I get home around 12:30 and was ready for a nap and my
husband wanted to go to BnN...so finally I made it for a nap about 4:00 and I crashed hard. We were suppose to go to
lunch tomorrow with my husbands BIL and his sister but Larry canceled it because he is suppose to be fasting for a
blood draw tomorrow and I just said Thank You Jesus! I teach Bible Study tomorrow night and 2 things in one day...
everyday this week was becoming too much....I just didn't want to have to set an Alarm one more morning this week.
Know what I mean?

Don't be shocked but I actually baked a Pie this week. It was an Ice-box Pumpkin Chocolate Pie. It was so yummy. I
saw it on Pinterest and just had to try it. I took 1/4 of it to my son this morning for his Lunch. Haven't heard if
he liked it or not.

Next Thursday I head to Seattle to see the girls...and my oldest son and DIL. Can't wait!

Well,I need to go make me something to eat. My husband is on a Diet so he is fixing his own meals (which is so nice
and easy on me)...so, I am eating less not having to cook for him. I lost 5 lbs last week not even trying to. LOL

More Later Girlies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  7:39:25 PM  Show Profile
...oh...and did I forget to mention that page 50 in the Ohio atlas we were using was missing? MISSING!!! What? We use this atlas all the time. How could that particular page be MISSING? Accckkkkk!!! We looked all over the Jeep for it! Gone! Peg, I still hear 'Twilight Zone' music! *shiver*
A pie Peg! Wow! Weren't you just feeling all domesticated? A regular Suzy-Homemaker!haha
I'm sure your son was loving his treat. Haven't met a son yet that doesn't enjoy the spoils of his mothers creations, no matter what flavor it is!
I bought 2 dishtowels at a kitchen store yesterday and thought of us, Porchies!
One said: "Of course I want to grow my own foods, I just can't find any bacon seeds[!"
The other said: "All I need today is a little bit of coffee and a whole lotta Jesus!"
Aren't those cute?
One I saw but didn't buy said: A household full of noisy children is chaotic but a household full of quiet children is suspicious!"
On that note I say, Good-night Porchies!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2015 :  7:50:14 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I've been MIA again. I'm finishing up my tuck-ins and hope to have the November teas out next week. I haven't forgotten you! I hope to be able to get on and catch up this weekend (crossing fingers).

Patsy - Got my teas! Thank you.

I can't remember if I posted a pic of the finished rug so here it is. Sorry if I already posted. I have another picture on the wood floor that pops the colors better but of course I can't find it (sigh). I have another rug, a flannel one this time, in the loom now.

Over the past couple weeks I've cleaned out the spare bedroom, got rid of bed and have moved my desk in. The start of my sewing room is forming. Matt moved his old tv in there so I can watch tv while sewing. I bought a Roku 1 to hook up to it so I can watch Netflix or listen to Pandora. I need to find my power plug and pedal to my machine so I can get sewing. I have a dozen cloth menstrual pads cut out ready to sew once I get the machine set up. Did I post a picture of the finished desk? I think my pictures are on my tablet so I'll have to post from there to upload. I still need to do the chair and finish the door.

Matt and I are taking the week of Thanksgiving off to put in new flooring in my office area. He needed to use up the last of his vacation time since he can't carry it over and I get to take one day off for my birthday so I'm taking that Monday off, using 2 days of vacation and then Thursday and Friday are holiday pay for me. I'll still work my shifts at W*lmart.

We went to the annual Buffalo Feed in Streeter Friday night. The food is always so good - all homemade mashed potatoes, gravy, pickled onions, cranberry salad, pickles, vegetable soup and buffalo roast. We went 2 years ago so knew what to expect. The entire town (approx. 300 people) feed something like 2000 people. It's their fundraiser for the year. Everybody in town helps out. If they have a roaster they're cooking the roasts. Everybody bakes pumpkin bars for dessert. It was $16 if you bought them early or $18 at the door. Not bad for an all you can eat, family style meal especially with buffalo roast being served.

They had some vendors set up in an old building that we checked out. There was a Young Living group there and I got to try out a bunch of things. Ended up signing up to be a distributor. I only have to buy $50 a year to stay active. I spend WAY more than that on essential oils a year. Great part is I got the Essential Starter Kit with diffuser and she throws in a free reference guide ($60 value) that I've been wanting. I've been playing with some of the new oils LOL It's nice to have right now. We're having cold, damp weather and I can tell my body is fighting a cold or something. I've had a stuffy nose and head all day so I just put some Thieves, RC and Peppermint in the diffuser and I've already stopped sniffling :O) The Thieves was one I'd been planning to try out as I've heard a lot of people swear by it so I was happy to see it was in the Starter Kit. It's funny as most don't think guys get into these but Matt was all about me trying out the new diffuser that night and has commented repeatedly he thinks we're both sleeping better with it. I use Eucalyptus and Lavender at night. The diffuser is cool and has a 30-second setting that allows it to run about 8 hours. I've been using an old fashioned tea candle style oil burner for my oils so this electric one is awesome.

Okay, have to run. It's bedtime and I need all the sleep I can get. Have a great week everybody!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGypsyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  09:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Judy...I love those hand towels you were talking about. In fact just yesterday a Farm Sister sent me a new one
for my Birthday and it was the "All I need today is a little bit of Coffee and a whole Lotta Jesus!" I loved
that one (with my coffee addiction and all). But I haven't seen the bacon seeds one. I laughed out loud when I
just read your posting of that Judy. Gotta get that one!!! This Farm Sister also sent me a Daphne's Diary
Coloring Book. Love It!!! And I bought myself a Johanna Basford New Coloring Book "Lost Oceans" for my B-day
Present to myself. So...I got some great Coloring Books.

Prairie Tammy...Cloth Menstrual Pads?? Now that is taking your Farmgirlieness back a century or two. LOL I am
afraid that is an area that I wouldn't want to go back to the Old Ways...Or the Good Old Days...for Hygenes sake.
Love the Rug...so pretty!!! You are going to have a lovely Office, Sewing/Crafting room!! Good for you. Wish I had
one of those myself. Is it ok if I'm a little jealous and envious? ~ Looking forward to the Tea Pkg.

My Porchies I will be Posting a 2016 Sign Up sheet for The Tea Swap...probably at the end of the Month. January and
February are spoken for already (which is good because these are the two hardest months to fill)...so be thinking
which month you want because it is always on a First Holler Out Basis...LOL!!! And just think of it this way girls
"You can count on receiving at least ONE NICE piece of Mail in your box each month...mixed in with all those bills
and junk mail!" That in itself is reason enough to join the Tea Swap.

Oh...nobody has mentioned any good reads for awhile: If you like Susan Branch her new book "Fairy Tale Girl" is a
good one and Tess Thompson's "Tea and Primroses" (book 2) and I can't think of the Title of the first one in that
series but It is good too. For you Tasha Alexander Fans she has a new one out in the Lady Emily Series called "The
Adventuress", and I also just read "Auld Acquaintance" by Ruth Hay and then just ordered the second one "Time Out of
Mind". Remember...we always love to hear about YOUR GOOD READS too. ~ And if you are like me...I always LOVE reading
Christmas Stories (helps get me in a festive mood and prepares my Heart for Celebrating the birth of Christ). I
bought the New "Chicken Soup for the Christmas Soul" 2015 Edition. Quick/Heart Warming Stories. OK...those are my
recommendations for this Month.

OK...I need some breakfast, so I better go make some. More later My Lovelies!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  1:19:40 PM  Show Profile
Peggy - yup I was all alone on the back roads of Michigan. I was fine for a while, but when I realized I was lost I started getting a little freaked out. Your pie sounds good. I'll be wanting a spot on that tea list but I'll wait until you're ready. I just don't want Nov or Dec - too busy with Christmas gifts. I had to "hide" my kindle so I wouldn't start a new book. I have a very hard time putting it down in the middle of a book and I have way too much to do to get caught up in a good book. I do love Christmas stories though. It'll be a way to extend the Christmas season and relax afterwards :)

Judy - love the towel sayings. It's funny that you got lost over there. A few years ago my husband and I took a day trip to Holmes county. We ate at Mrs. Yoders, went to the cheese place and then hubby wanted to drive around the country and see the Amish farms. I was all for it. We turned off the main road and took turns deciding which way to go at every stop sign. If it was me we'd have ended up in PA or something. But, with my hubby's luck - after a couple hours we ended up right back at the spot we turned off!!! We couldn't have done that if we tried :) That missing map page is kinda weird!

Tammy - I have to agree with Peggy on the cloth menstrual pads. Sounds way too messy for my liking. Beautiful rug! Your sewing rooms sounds like it'll be wonderful.

I wanted to post some pictures last time I was on here so here they are:

My brother and new sister in law

My 2 sisters and me

My 2 sisters, me, and my mom
Our dresses were all different, but it worked. My sister in laws sister was the maid of honor, but I didn't get any pictures of all of us with my camera.

Today we got a wonderful surprise :

Not one, but 2 calves. I think that's a great way to end the calving season.

This one's a little girl. Like always she wasted no time in getting up and exploring.

And this little fellow is doing what the bull's usually do - laying around for a while before any exploring :)

I wish we could have had 2 heifers, but at least they're both doing well. I'm surprised that she didn't have them sooner. She was due tomorrow and twins usually come a week early.

Well, I better get around for milking. Hubby's unloading a semi load of hay so I'll be on my own for a while. Oh, Judy - if you see me blowing by tomorrow reach out and grab me (giggle). It's supposed to be stormy and very windy. Good thing the hay came today instead of tomorrow.
If I don't make it back here tomorrow everyone have a great weekend,
Hugs,

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2015 :  2:18:22 PM  Show Profile
Got my long-handled 'hook n' crook' ready to grab ya Heather. hahahaha Wow, do we have some eerie travel stories to tell or what?*giggle* The other gals will NEVER want to travel here. hahahahahahaha
Great pics...as usual. I always enjoy the farm pics and the beautiful "Smiling-Sistas' was just an added bonus! Thanks for sharing!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  12:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Heather...Love the pictures!!! Looks like your Brother and Sister In Law had a Lovely Wedding.
I noticed how each of your dresses were cut differently but all looked great together.
~ And you had twins!!! The four legged kind...how precious are those guys?! Love those Pictures
you share. I am going to try to post my Little Minion on here as you asked for a picture.

He looks so little in the picture...I think it is just the costume on him. But he was so cute and
he loved going Trick or Treating.

Judy...I think you and Heather have convinced me to never come to Ohio. I think it must be like the Bermuda
Triangle or something. Roads just go missing as well as the people driving. LOL That is a scary thought! Or else
you two are just making this all up...because you don't want people to Move to your State. Portland OR use to
do that...they had a commercial that said basically "Please vacation and visit here but don't plan on moving here."
They really didn't want people relocating to the PNW because we like it sparsely inhabited. LOL But of coarse Californians didn't listen and they moved here in record numbers and still are. So, don't be trying to pull the wool
over our eyes. LOL It is safe to say that I don't want to move to Ohio, you have me convinced.

Well, Bible Study went late tonight because both Beth Moore and I talked on to long. But it was good! A great lesson on allowing God to parent us.

Ok, girlies I'm off to do dishes and go to bed.

Love and Laughs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  07:21:22 AM  Show Profile
What a cute minion! Nice pics of the wedding and cute calves Heather!

Things are going the same here. Baby is crawling which gives me a bit of space. I have a few more weeks of crazy schedule then a break. I'm cutting back a bit next semester on outside in hopes that it gives me more time for my own personal projects like crafts and my blog, which I finally launched!!

I got this great book I started reading yesterday. It is called Refuse to Choose by Barbara Sher. It is about/for people who are what she calls "scanners" (others have called us multipassionistas, multi-potentialites or renaissance souls) in other words people who are deeply interested in many different topics and can't pick just one focus. She really has me pegged but gives some very good tools and ideas to make the most of this personality trait! It is great. If that resonates with anyone I highly recommend it. I feel a bit more normal after reading!!

I have started working on Christmas presents, I'll have to take a picture of the knight "helmet" I crocheted for David. I'm working on a "chain maille" shirt to go with it (crocheted so not really maille).

Peggy, I think I need to pass on the tea swap this time. It was really fun but there are some BIG unknowns in our future and this could be a really crazy year for us.

Hope you are all doing well!

Sabrina

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com

Norwex www.sabrinascheerer.norwex.biz
Usborne Books and More! https://j4070.myubam.com

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  07:59:58 AM  Show Profile
Peggy - What a sweetheart!! I just want to squeeze him and kiss that little face. I'll bet you do a lot of both!

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
'The Simply Lived Life' blog http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/blog/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  12:54:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Wanda...those cheeks are so kissable!!! I am always teasing him that Grandmama is going to
put her lipstick on and kiss him...and he runs and hides. LOL We just discovered something funny...
actually Elijah's daddy did. When ever I or the other Grandma go to leave their house and we ask
Elijah for a kiss goodbye...he just all of a sudden refused to give us kisses and we couldn't figure out
why? My son said that he thinks...Elijah believes that if he doesn't kiss us goodbye then we won't
leave. So he refuses to kiss us. I think Shane is right because once we move to the door itself and
he knows we really are leaving then he will give the kisses. Funny how those little minds work!

Sabrina...thanks for the heads up on the Tea Swap! We will miss you but I get it.

Well, I feel so much better after a good nights sleep. And the weather is gorgeous today. I want to get
out and do something but hubby is still in bed. He told me last night that he is going to apply for a
PT Job at a Quick Stop near our home. The owner goes to our Church and is a really nice guy. But I'm
thinking nobody is going to hire a guy that sleeps until 1 or 2 in the afternoon because he stays up late
all night every night. LOL We could use the money but I don't know girls...I'm not holding my breath on
that one.

Have a Beautiful Day My Porchies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2015 :  1:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Peggy- a lot of little ones do that, with kissing or hugging goodbye! The other thing I think is really near with how their minds work, is when they squeeze their eyes shut... With the mentality of if they cannot see you, then you cannot see them. A lot of little ones wil do that when starting to play hide and go seek, or if they are in trouble and do not want you to see them, lol. Love the costume by the way!

Heather - wow you have had one crazy week or so, between a wedding and family, getting list, a milk line shattering, the loss of a calf, and beautiful twins being born. I never knew the difference between the behavior of male versus female newborn calves! Craziness! I would so love to come meet you and visit your farm some time.... Even if I do get lost ;)

Judy - I think I might need to find one of the last towels you talked about... A quiet house is DEFINITELY suspicious!

PGTammy - LOVE the rug! And I too enjoy the cloth menstrual pads... Or mommy pads as we call them, lol. For you naysayers, I think they are much better for you than the chemicals and bleach being against your skin, though I also use a diva cup. Wow... It just dawned on me how personal this board gets "hahaha"

Sabrina - I may have to read that book! Glad you are getting a chance to breathe a little, though it seems impossible your little one should be crawling already! My poor Emi is ten weeks old and it still not eight pounds! Looks like she is going to be on the small side!

Things here are absolutely crazy! I am pulling my hair out trying to catch up, and am failing miserably! Good news is, our house is suppose to be closing today :) Originally closing date was yesterday, but it got pushed back due to the lender.

I posted on the main forum, but in case any of you have any suggestions... The kids and I are trying to learn about traditions from different countries (including foods) for Christmas traditions. If you know any, please share!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2015 :  3:41:37 PM  Show Profile
Hello fellow porchies...been a while. Things are still crazy here at the funny farm. Peggy, I feel for ya about being lost. My sister and I ended up on the local indian reservation just outside of Rapid City SD while looking to get to the Bad Lands. We did have a map, but little did we know that the route numbers in the shape of arrow heads are on the reservation. I told my sister, when she discovered where we were, to turn around and go back, but, like the rest of our family, her bullheadedness set in, and she refused. We did make it off the reservation. After my visit with my sister and bro in law, my bro in law really got upset with my sister because she and I could have gotten into trouble, even though we were just passing through.

So, my mom does indeed have lymphoma, B-type follicular. It has not spread to any organs, but she is receiving a more aggressive treatment of chemo. Provided all goes well, she should complete it by March. Just for your own reference, if you or anyone you know have purplish acne like lesions on the torso that do not seem to go away with general hygene and skin treatment and your doctor or dermatologist seems to blow this off, insist on a second opinion with an oncologist. This is how my mom's lymphoma started. Once lymphoma is diagnosed, there is no cure. You may go into remission and be there for a while. But this has to do with your B lymphocytes which is part of your white blood cells that help fight infections and illness. It is one of those cancers that once you realize you have it, it could be too late.

My house is finally back together from flea infestation. Gardens are in. I'm battling bronchitis right now. One of my winter projects is to make a table cloth from a bed sheet. The sheet has those big roses on it. It has a pink back ground. It shouldn't take much to make it. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Also helping my little man earn his bear rank in cub scouts. The requirements have changed. He's completed his whittling chip and his elective. We're working on other things as well.

We haven't any snow yet. The weather here in Maine has been quite mild. My son and some friends went trick or treating with no coats on. That is how mild it is. Feels more like September than November. Wonder if our horrible winter prediction is an error.

TTFN
Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2015 :  4:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Why does it Always have to rain on the Weekends???? Missed Church again today and hubby said it was Awesome.
Of course it was! LOL But if I have time this week I can watch it on my computer. They post them on-line on
Tuesdays. I will be getting ready to go to Seattle on Thursday.

Lorena...I am so sorry about your Mom. That is so sad that she wasn't diagnosed properly. I will be praying that
the Chemo will put her into remission. Glad to hear that it hasn't spread to her organs...that is hopeful huh?

Good thing the Indians weren't on the Warpath!! LOL Just joking!!! And good thing your sister just kept driving.
Sounds like you are keeping busy girl. I think this time of year we are ALL Busy!!!

Shannon...I just took a picture of my little guy after I gave him his last hair cut...and there he is with his eyes
squeezed shut and he is yelling No Picture, No Picture, No Picture!!! And yes he thinks because he can't see me
neither can I see him. LOL Funny Kids!!! Too Cute Huh? ~ Yesterday he was so funny...he was being the Baby Boss...
telling both of us Grandmas where we needed to sit in the car, in the restaurant at the table etc. He has
a plan for everything and you better not do it differently or he will have a melt down. He knows all his colors and
all his Super Hero's and He loves to tell you all about them. And now he is into telling very long drawn out stories
too. He just amuses and delights my heart so much.

Well girls I'm going to get off and drag out my Coloring Books and Pencils and finish watching Football while I
color.

More later gators,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Nov 08 2015 4:17:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2015 :  11:26:44 AM  Show Profile
I do hope we didn't scare anyone away form Ohio at least for a visit. It's really a beautiful state. Especially over in Judy's neck of the woods. It's more flat around me, but still nice. I would love to have you visit some day Shannon. Maybe when you wind up in Wyoming and we're in ND (if it ever works out) you guys could all come for a long weekend on the farm :) I bet your kids would have a blast!

Peggy - it's too funny that you say how little your minion looks. When I saw the picture my first thought was - what a cutie!! My second thought was - wow he's getting big! LOL!!

Lorie - so sorry to hear about your mom. I too will be praying for her. I didn't know you shouldn't be on the indian reservations. We almost bought a property on one in ND a few years ago. If the road doesn't say private property keep out why can't you drive on it?

The Christmas open houses were a lot of fun. We couldn't convince my mother in law to go (I don't know if I mentioned earlier that she has a broken foot) so it was me, my sister in law, and my best friend. The stores were pretty busy, but everyone seemed to be in great spirits. I got a snowman hat and a BIG santa boot (bigger than my shoes!) to add to my collection. I set them both out already so I guess I've technically started decorating for Christmas (giggles). I can't believe there's only 44 days, 9 hours, and 37 minutes left until Christmas!!!!! It's coming super fast this year. Not much else is going on today. It's a drizzly 45 degrees outside - perfect weather for staying in and crocheting. And now that my cup in empty I better get back to it!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  01:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone.

I'm sick today and lounging around trying to let myself rest so I thought I'd pop in! :) I hate feeling like this, this week is a bit of a break from our normal activities so I thought I could get caught up on things but that isn't looking so good now. Maybe I can manage a few but moving makes my head throb so I'll be as still as I can.

Overall things are going well, I'm looking forward to Chrismas break from everything. I'm working on presents and I need to make my kids "Bible character" costumes by dec 1st. My oldest wants to be Deborah, the next one Esther and my son wants to be Joseph (as in Mary and Joseph). So that will be interesting on tope do everything else.

My husband thinks we might move sooner than originally expected so I'm a bit stressed about the house, it is nowhere near as organized and cleaned out as I need it and if I have less time I have to get a move on!!

Shannon, it does seem so soon that he is crawling but he is almost nine months already!! Now I just need to work on getting him out of my bed so I can get some decent sleep! You definitely need to read this book, I think you are totally the type she is writing for. itbhas lots of good ideas.

Lori. I'm sorry to hear about your mom, praying for you both!!

Well I'm going to go try to get my blog post up so I feel like I accomplished at least one thing.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  11:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi My Porchies...

Just got finished re-arranging some furniture. We are having a washer and dryer moved out and in today.
My son and DIL are giving us a two year old washer and dryer that they didn't want to move out of their
old house but the people buying their house don't want them. So lucky me...I get them. They are Red Front
Loaders. Not my favorite but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I like top loaders myself. I guess
I'm old school. But I have heard that these front loaders develop mold easily in the rubber around the
tubs. So I will have to be more vigilant about cleaning those. My dryer currently takes twice as long as
necessary to dry a load. So, the timing is perfect. My Old set was a hand me down set too and must be
about 20 years old. I have had them for 5 years.

I am pretty much ready to leave on my trip to Seattle tomorrow. I am taking the train. It is suppose to be
sunny here and pouring rain in Seattle. It is so hard to know how much clothes to take for a week because
our weather is so wishy washy. I am planning to be off the grid for the week...just to give myself some down
time but if my family all have to work while I'm there then I might be on anyway...just so I don't get bored.
LOL

Well, gotta go with DIL to Dr. Appt. today. One month until baby is due. We are all so excited!!
Take care and I'll be back next week...if not sooner.

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Nov 11 2015 11:20:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  11:22:12 AM  Show Profile
I've been MIA too for a while. Just too darned much going on, and still fighting with unemployment. What a hassle they are! I'd give up, but know I'm going to need the money as soon as my severance runs out. No luck on finding a job yet. Seems like I am either "over qualified" or "under qualified". I think they are really just nicely saying that I'm "too old". Nobody wants to hire someone who will retire in a few years.

Anyway - Peggy, when you get that tea list going, could I please have May or June if they aren't taken already? That is my slowest time of year, it seems.

Hugs to you all - I'm thinking of you and reading up on what's going on even if I don't have time to post very often.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

My blog: finallyafarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  04:04:22 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, yes they do mold easily, I didn't like mine at all but as you said can't really beat a free practically new washer!!

I'm feeling a bit better but still recovering. Feeling drained and didn't sleep well last night. The baby is congested too and didn't sleep well. Now Sofia is acting wild which usually happens right before she gets sick so we will see. We have had most of the week "off" but have our coop tomorrow and then Children's church Sunday and a full week next wee so really need everyone to be well!! The following week will be a slow week again and I'm looking forward to some "down time" (won't really be slow just a chance to catch up on other stuff. Our Friday coop has two classes left this week and next week and then we are done until Jan 22. Our Wed coop (Classical Conversations) has three classes left-next week then the two weeks after Thanksgiving then we are out until mid Jan. My Thursday morning commitment has 3 weeks left and I'm not going back next semester. I'm hoping to get more children's church volunteers in place by January so I get some weeks off from that but it really isn't that big of a task. Anyway, as of Dec 10th everything is finished until mid January and my husband is taking a couple weeks of leave in December so it will hopefully be a nice time to focus on some other things I want to do and relax a bit.

Of course I also have my list of Christmas crafts to get done. Wow always so many things I want to do!!

Well baby is screaming, off to feed him lunch.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  08:29:29 AM  Show Profile
Gee! Things happen fast on this porch. So much going on for everyone. I've tried to read back over the time I've missed. One thing I know, there are a couple of gals that I do not want to go on a ride with!

Sabrina - Wow, the book you mentioned sounds like a perfect fit for my cousin. Poor girl wants to do so many different things that she can't finish anything. Thanks. I'm going to share that with her.

Lorie - I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Prayers for you both.

The reason I keep missing so much is because I've been working on the publication of my first book. Quite a few of you have expressed an interest. So have others, but the only two places I 'visit' are this porch and the Welcome Wagon, and I don't think it would be good to post about it there. So, if anyone knows of another place to post this update so those 'non-porch' sisters might see it, please let me know.

The print version is now available for pre-publication orders on Amazon.com, as well as other online book retailers. The release date is Nov. 26. Unfortunately, a technical glitch prevented the book from being converted to eBook format in time to show up with the print book, but, that is expected to be up on the sites shortly.

You can visit the book page on my website - http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/hiding-from-lizards-2/ - to read a couple 'early reader' reviews, which are not up yet on the Amazon pages.
(Note: The Amazon.com link at the bottom of that page is an affiliate link...meaning, when someone clicks on it and makes a purchase, I will receive a small commission. Sorry, but, that information is required.)

Or, you can go directly to the Amazon book page by typing my name into the search bar on Amazon.com

Any sharing of this news is much appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
'The Simply Lived Life' blog http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/blog/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  3:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Peggy & Heather - Actually cloth menstrual pads are so advanced now. With the development of PUL fabric which is a breathable water resistant fabric designed for hospital use, then used for cloth diapers and now for lining cloth pads. Another new fabric is ZORB which absorbs 10 times its weight. I have postpartum pads which are the most absorbent and they're much thinner than the huge disposable pads I had to buy and they absorb better. Flannel has long been a favorite topper for cloth pads but now with Minky (the super soft fabric they use for baby blankets) and you can't imagine how much more comfortable they are. I've developed a sensitivity/allergy to the chemicals they use in disposable pads so had to find an alternative. Thankfully with all the new advances I was able to find some that worked for me on Etsy but they're expensive so I decided to sew some myself after Tip decided to chew a couple of them apart. Care is easy too. You should see some of the cute designs some of these designers are coming up with and the different fabrics they use. There are TONS of FB groups for cloth pads and alternative choices as well as YouTube vidoes.

Shannon - I tried the Luna cup but I bleed to heavy and cramp too bad to use it. It was just painful unfortunately. Do you make your own pads also? This is my first attempt, although I may not get to use them much.

Tea packets will go out Monday. I've been helping Matt get ready for his hunting trip this weekend so didn't get my tucks done. Were there any changes to addresses before I print the labels?

I'm enjoying my day of being a hunter's widow LOL Went out for Chinese by myself last night to celebrate the start of my widow's weekend. Worked on my tucks this morning, took the dogs for a walk, visited with one of my neighbors for a while while the dogs socialized, cleaned most of my kitchen, started the process to reseason some of my cast iron pans (again grrr) and got to watch a chic flick so far (New in Town). I'd planned to try a recipe I know Matt won't eat but not feeling like cooking so I may go grab something.

Peggy - you mentioned good read suggestions. I'm reading The Cherry Cola Book Club by Ashton Lee. I had to buy it for the title alone lol. I recently read My Life as an Amish wife by Lena Yoder. She's an Amish woman that lives in northern Indiana and decided to write a book to allow people to see what her life is really like after she found out about all the Amish bashing shows now on TV. The Plain Choice by Sherry Gore is really good too. She writes about how she grew up around Hollywood and made the choice to become Amish. Leashed by Zoe Dawson is a cute romance around dogs. Also have you seen the movie Mary & Martha? I think it's on Netflix. If you haven't you should watch it. AWESOME movie.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGypsyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  5:03:25 PM  Show Profile
PGTammy - do you have my address as the correct one? In Moncks Corner?

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2015 :  02:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Lorie - I am so sorry to hear about your mom! Know that prayers are being lifted to the Great Physician! It sounds like you are having fun with yourlittleman,which is great! And my goodness I am glad you are done with the fleas! I hear ya with the warmer temperatures... We are normally warm, but not as warm as we have been. Still no frost! We are still having lows I the sixties, though tonight is finally in the forties.

Peggy - hoping it is not raining for you today, and your fibro is behaving. We are going to be missing church again :( I have three kiddos still sick. It is so sad to see your twelve year old WANTING to throw up, as the sits there shivering in a sweater and skirt, leggings, fuzzy socks, robe, and fleece blanket! And your two year old WANTING to take multiple naps, and then cuddle or lie around when she gets up. Hoping your trip to Seattle went well!

Luanne - hoping you figure out the job situation soon! What a trial!

Wanda - so excited about your book! I need to remember to check it out when I am on my computer. Right now I am on my IPad, and it does not like to switch over to links. Silly thing!

PGTammy - my cycles actually got less heavy and my cramping decreased with switching to the cup and cloth pads! Before starting to use them, I was super heavy as well! I actually do not make my own, but rather ordered some from a girl on Etsy. She actually puts snaps on the wings so they stay place beautifully. When I needed to order my daughter some, she was able to make her some with bright color PUL and flannels! It is nice to wear something pretty even for that time of the month. Ironically, I do not get my cycle very often at all.. I do not get it or ovulate until the baby is at least a year old as long as I am nursing, so more often than not, I only have one or two cycles between children, if any at all!

Things here are their normal hectic-ness! The old house is officially sold! It is so nice not to have to worry about our old neighbor any more! And we were able to harvest peppers and eggplants right up to the last week from my old garden. I must admit, I really miss it and my clothesline! We are fighting illness here, as I mentioned above. Honestly, my throat is killing me right now, so I am praying I am not getting it! I have been extremely exhausted lately, and finally realized it is because I am super anemic, so I have been taking some liver pills. Bleck! Brad (my hubby) had his trial spinal cord stimulator put in on Tuesday. It seems to be working great, and will be removed on this Tuesday. Then we have to figure out when he can get the permanent one placed. Getting it placed puts a lot of extra stress on me... And honestly so has the trial one, as he can not shower, lift more than five pounds,bend over, or reach up - but will be great in the long run. He was trying to see how he was doing without his meds while he was on it, which we quickly found pain wise he should be alright, but oh my is he going to have to weaned off the meds! He is indeed addicted to them, having had to take them for years! Cold turkey inns them is just not going to work!

I think I mentioned before that for Christmas schooling this year we are focusing on various countries and how they celebrate Christmas. So far we have looked at Russia, India, phillipines, Japan, china, Pakistan, Australia, and Africa, as a whole. For the latter I made an "Ethiopian feast". We had doro wat (chicken stew), beef with peppers, tomato salad, lentils, and cabbage potato cabbage. (Sorry I do not remember their official names and a nursing Emi). It was a LONG process to cook that food! The chicken stew takes three and a half hours of prep and cooking! Everything took me even longer because I had to feed Emi in the middle! I was suppose to make injera with it, but couldn't get them to work using einkorn flour.overall, the meal was great, but the spices they use are so different! My kids found some of it way to spicy. I had to be careful how much I ate, so Emi wouldn't get too much "spicy milk." I think the food and the crafts are my favorite parts! Thus upcoming week we are looking at France, Austria, Czech Rpublic, and Germany. Super excited about these countries! I love Europe! Sabrina - any suggestions on Germany?

Craft-wise, I am super far behind! I did finish a project for a swap, but I have so much more to do, not to mention Christmas presents! I need to hit pause on the days ;),

Heather - we would LOVE to visit you! We will have to figure something out.. Maybe stop on the way out to Wyoming, or maybe even when we are up in Marylandvisiting, maybe we can swing west before we go south. Hmmmmm.... I agree that Christmas is coming super fast! I am so far behind!

Sabrina - so sorry to hear you are sick! That is so hard with little ones! Is your little man really nine months already? Wowsers! Thinking about it, I guess Emi isgettingclose to three months. She is such a little peanut still! She is still in newborn clothing! Where are you guys hoping to move next? With being overseas,do you guys get to pick your preference?

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page