Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  09:10:42 AM  Show Profile
hello ladies,
I thought I would pop in real quick before my day got going. Spent the past four days at the county fair. It was bittersweet to see my sons show their animals for the last time. I was also in love with my new grandson who I got to spend the last several days with. Oh my goodness he was a doll. His big brother and I spent some time getting his things ready for kindergarten. He starts tomorrow. Such a grown up little guy. Just love them so dearly.

Later this week my sons leave for college. So we are getting things organized and ready for that. Hard to believe it is that time of year already. They are bit unsure as all kids are when they take that next step but I think once they get there and moved in and begin classes on the 24th they will get things figured out. I am not sure what Jax my sweet dog will do. He loves those boys.

I begin school tomorrow with my new little butterflies. I have 17 this year and only 4 of them are boys. I also will be still teaching some 5th and 6th grade classes when my class is with another teacher. We only have a half day tomorrow. Thank goodness for that. After four days at the fair, I could use a few days to rest. So I am looking forward to getting to know my new butterflies.

well I best move clothes to the dryer. We went through a slug of clothes the past four days.
love to you all,
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Purple Skies
http://mypurpleskies.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2015 :  7:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Evening ladies! Tried to post on my lunch break but it went poof and disappeared while I was typing (sigh). I wanted to share how far I've gotten with my rug. I had hoped to have it done but unfortunately life and job isn't cooperating lol For some reason I can't get the picture to upload. I keep getting an "internal server error".

Peggy - Yes, Tip is aging. The last couple months have really taken their toll on him. Yes, they are such a comfort to me. I can't imagine a life without my furkids.

The toothbrush needle is a bit different. Matt says I look uncomfortable using it although it doesn't feel uncomfortable. I doubt it will work for blue jean material though so I'll have to look for a needle with a larger hole in it.

Lorena - Sorry about your mom. It seems so many here have had a rough year.

Well bed time. Take care and hope everybody has a good night!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGypsyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  11:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Tammy many people have been having trouble across MJF on getting pictures to unload. Brian at
The Office has been on Vacation...so maybe when he is back we can get the problem fixed.

I have a young friend who lost 2 dogs and one cat this summer due to aging. It has doubly hard
on her as she also has two young boys who she has to console too. Loving animals is much like
loving people...it breaks our hearts when they have to leave us.

Your needle does look interesting. Please keep trying to post pictures. I tried the other night
really late when the Internet would be slower and I up-loaded 5 pictures on another thread and
it took each picture 3 or 4 minutes to up-load but I accomplished it. It was for a Swap...so I
had to get those pictures up. Every Farmgirl was complaining about not being able to post pics.

100 degree day today...so staying inside and working on projects.

Hugs to All,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  8:54:04 PM  Show Profile
Hello my sweet sister porchies!! My goodness soo much going on with all of you. I think I've caught up with everyone. I don't get to sit on the porch much as I used to. It's been crazy here as always. I've been canning up a storm lately. I will be finishing up our corn that we got so far tomorrow. Today, I canned tomato juice for us and my parents. So far though I have canned cabbage, spaghetti sauce and bread and butter pickles (DH requested LOL), I have frozen zucchini and bell peppers, and I will also make some deer jerky tomorrow (also at the request of DH). There is still more to do before winter hits. I've heard the Farmer's Almanac said that it's going to be really cold and snowy. I feel like there's so much to do and not enough time to do it all in. Then again, that's every year. :)

My Dad had surgery today. The left artery in his neck was 70% blocked so they went in and cleaned it out. When my Mom called he was in ICU until tomorrow to monitor his breathing but was doing good. She is staying down there with him until he comes home. I'm not going to get to go to see him because it's hard to find someone to watch the kiddos while I do. So I'm holding down the fort and checking on the house and getting the mail everyday.

I've also decided to take on the little sunday school class. My two youngest is in the class. The teacher before wanted to step down for a while. I understand that. Sometimes it gets overwhelming with littles. I'm excited to teach them and see them learn. They're a fun group.

The state fair is starting on Thursday here in KY. We are going on Sunday after Sunday School. My daughter is excited to see her friends' cows that they are showing. I like our state fair better than the county fairs. It's a lot more fun to me. I like seeing the animals and exhibits. We are starting 4-H in the livestock club afterwards. The kids want to show goats. Good project for homeschooling too. We'll be starting our homeschool after all my canning is done.

Peg....I will be praying for you. Dealing with all that can be stressful. I'll make some more tea and we'll listen to the crickets chirp.
Girls...pull you up a rocker and let's just sit a while. Fall will be upon us soon. I'm excited for the smells and colors of fall. Then we can treat ourselves to pumpkin anything.

Sleep well sisters!!

RoDonna

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.marykay.com/rcarson4
www.pinterest.com/kymomma4
www.facebook.com/onthehomestead
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  12:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi My Lovely Porchies...

Oh, my goodness it was a great day for getting projects accomplished around the house. Dealing with my Aunts
stuff...my place has been neglected like crazy. I am doing some more down-sizing...not a lot but every little
bit helps. I have a philosophy that if your bring something new home (even if it is just new to you) then
something old has to go. For example...I brought a small black bakers rack home from my aunts with the intention
of using it on my Porch for plants and decor. Which I did...but that allowed me to get rid of two older wooden
tables that were looking a bit shoddy...and freed up some Porch space. My Porch is small. I have also been doing
that with coats, knick-knacks etc. Unlike my Aunt who kept everything and just kept adding more and more and more.
I refuse to do that to my kids someday...when it is their turn to go through my Apt and get rid of my stuff.

RoDonna...how nice to see you on The Porch. Oh, all your canning sounds so good and yummy. I miss those many years
when I did all that. Food never looked prettier or tasted better than back then.

We don't have a state fair here but Oregon does and I think people would agree with you that the State Fairs are
bigger and better and a lot more fun. I use to really love our County Fair but it just doesn't have as much neat
stuff any more. But the prices are have really gone up for parking and food and rides etc.

I had to laugh at your mention of Fall RoDonna...as we have had one of the Hottest Summers in years and it isn't
looking like it is going away any time in the near future. We are suppose to have a warmer winter here too...which
just means less rain and probably not much snow on the Mountains. They have had a bad 2 Winters up there and don't
need another bad winter. We Usually have maybe 12 90+ degree days here each summer and so far we have had 25 with
more in sight. We have broken all records since they have been keeping records for Hot summer days. So, thinking
about pumpkins and harvest and fall sweaters just doesn't seem right at the moment.

Well, my lovelies...another hot day tomorrow but I have to go help a friend do an Apartment walk-through and then
go watch my sweet Elijah so his mommy can go meet with other Fitness Coaches. She is a Beach Body Instructor. So,
I will chat with you all tomorrow.

Big Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  8:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Evening ladies. Thought I'd take another try at uploading and it worked!!!! It's not finished yet. I was able to work on it tonight and got several more rows on it. I'm working on another dark pink row now.

Peggy - you're right, it's like losing a family member when we lose a pet. As horrible as it sounds I'll probably be more upset over my dogs than my own mother, we're just not close and never have been. At least my cat is only 8 so hopefully she'll be okay for several more years. Jordon even mentioned how white Tip's getting around his eyes and how old he's starting to look.

Well they brought the baby down Monday night for a couple minutes while Jordon picked up some mail. He's still using our address for mail. His dad sent him a check for $1000. If she has her way I'm sure it will be gone in a heartbeat on junk. She was saying the doctors are trying to figure out why the baby is so small even though it was full term. I don't know if I posted but he only weighed 4 pounds 12 ounces. He's a scrawny little bitty thing. Considering she only ate junk and always claimed she couldn't eat anything else it's little wonder. The poor kid will probably have health issues it's whole life because she was too selfish to eat what she needed to while pregnant. She also claims that the baby didn't like the name Emmett so they changed it to Jasper. She really needs to get over this Twilight fascination.

I ended up calling off both jobs yesterday due to a migraine. Haven't had one in a while and I'm guessing the wild weather shifts we're having probably triggered it. I still could feel it lurking this morning but the meds have been keeping it under control thankfully. I hate migraines and the after affects of having one.

Went for my second Weight Watcher's meeting tonight. Lost 4.4 pounds! My scale said 2 pounds so I'm liking their's better LOL. I was surprised since I knew I blew it yesterday. I was so nauseous I ate nearly an entire sleeve of Ritz crackers to help. Nibbling seems to help with the nausea so I nibbled but at least I tried to keep it healthy and nibbled on nuts and fruit mostly.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGypsyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  11:54:19 PM  Show Profile
Prairie Tammy...Oh, I love the colors in this rug. Also it does look like it is tighter with the new needle.
Really Lovely! ~ That is one tiny baby!! Oh, my goodness! Too bad she was NOT more health conscience while pregnant.
My daughter in Law is amazing while pregnant. She is a Beach Body Fitness Coach and she eats so healthy. I swear
that little Savannah Grace will be born dancing or doing yoga and with a piece of fruit in each hand. LOL

Another scorcher of a day today but the next couple days are suppose to be down in the 80's which will be nice.

Went and watched my little guy today! He is so fun and funny!!! I gave him his second hair cut. Then we played for
awhile and then he took a long nap. He can walk down the stairs by himself (they live in a two story house) and
as we were walking down to the kitchen for lunch he said, "Grandmama...I'm Little but I'm Sexy." My son who stopped
home for lunch and I started laughing but neither one of us could figure out where he would have ever heard those
words before. We quickly moved on to something else and hope he forgets it.

I'm really tired tonight but just wanted to pop on and tell Tammy how much I love the new rug.

Night My Lovelies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 19 2015 11:55:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  07:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm not on here much, but enjoy trying to keep up with what everyone is doing.

Tammy - your rug is beautiful. I love the softer colors in it. And that poor baby is so small - I hope she feeds him properly now that he is born and he can get really healthy. Too bad she didn't take care of herself while she was pregnant. 4 pounds is small, but he can grow quickly with your love and care when you see him.

RoDonna - Good to hear your Dad came out of surgery well. Have fun with your Sunday school class and going to the Fair. Our fair here in Texas isn't until October when it is cooler. LOL!

Take care, everyone.

Peggy - Hopefully soon you can get through all the paperwork with your aunt's estate and get back to resting more and taking care of yourself. I know what you mean about your housework falling behind - lately every time I set aside time to really clean, something comes up and I am gone most of the day. Your grandson must just know that "He's sexy and he knows it!" LOL! Who knows where they learn these things?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  7:04:19 PM  Show Profile
Hello porchies,
Just a quick fly in. It has been a busy week. One son left for college today. He just called to let me know he is settled. The other son's house fell through so for the time being he is going to live at home for bit longer and drive to college. He is hopeful something will come up where the college is and he will not be driving. They both begin classes on Monday.

A picture of my little butterflies. It has been an exhausting week with getting boys ready for college, county fair, and going back to school. These butterflies seem to be a good class and make me laugh. Aren't their expressions hilarious?
well time for Madame Butterfly to finish up clothes in dryer and get ready for tomorrow. HOpe you are all well and enjoying the last days of summer.
love to you all,
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  7:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Nice looking class, Tammy.
Hope your son finds a house soon. Driving to/from school or work is not fun.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  7:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Linda..."Kids do say The Funniest things" I think that is why they are so precious...you just never know what is
going to come out of their mouths!!! LOL Our Fair in Spokane WA when I was growing up was always in late Sept.
for the same reason...cooler and more enjoyable weather. Our Fair here is always screaming hot!!!

Teacher Tammy...Oh, what a bunch of adorable Butterflies you have this year. Nice size group too. You have had an
amazingly hectic week. Hope you find a little time at home to read and relax. Too bad your sons housing fell through.
Hopefully he will find someone who would like to room together once he gets there. Hope he doesn't have to drive
too far.

Today was a more relaxing day around here. I slept in late and went to Barnes and Noble to work on my First Lesson
for Women's Bible Study. I am really going to enjoy this year's study. The gal who Hostesses it is moving into a
small 2 bedroom apartment this weekend. And I just don't know if we will all be able to fit in there comfortably.
The problem is...she can't get out much and I'm afraid if we change locations she won't come at all. So, I guess
we will give her new place a Test Ride and see how it goes.

Had a nice evening walk with my Scotty Dog tonight. The weather was so nice today. High of 80 and a quick cool
down tonight. Lovely!!!

Judy...where are you girl??? Get your backside on here and let us at least know that you are alive.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  8:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Peg and Gals. I've been reading just not chatty lately. Patsy's been at her daughters for a month now.
She may come back this weekend. We'll see.
I really like that rug. I'm not crafty but that looks like something I might like to try. With winter coming up soon(the months are flying)I really need a hobby. I did find some grown-up coloring books that I think will be fun. One is pinwheels and is simple but the other is Aztec designs and is harder. I had seen some awhile back and thought, "neat, coloring books for us old fogies!"lol
We've had some really hot days too. But today was mid 70's and wonderful. The breeze and gusts were perfect for doing laundry. Right when I was gathering bedding to carry downstairs to start a load...the power went off...for 2 hours. hahaha So I got some coffee and the newspaper and the cat and went out on the porch to wait. I truly think it was just Gods way of saying,"Hey...look at this gorgeous day I've made for you! Did you see my sky?"
"Yes Papa...I did!...and Thank You for giving us a cooler day and this breeze. If this were yesterday when it was 92,we'd be gasping!"
I have to say...I was a little sad when the power come back on. It was so quiet without all the a/c's running in the neighborhood. I didn't even need to run our fans today, it was THAT nice!
Well, that's all the news from my little corner of the world! Happy now Peg? * giggle*

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

prichmond9
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Peggy
Pelham Tennessee
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  11:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for allowing me to sit on the porch with you guys for awhile. Every day is so busy lately, the months seem to be flying by and it isn't often I get to take my coffee or iced tea to enjoy outside on the porch. I put up a few jars of squash relish and some bread and butter pickles this month. Made the most delicious tomato pies from our fresh tomatoes and put several quarts of shredded zucchini in the freezer for Zucchini pizza crust. My heirloom tomato plants that Mary Jane sent me are just now beginning to flower and I have some little green tomatoes growing. Hopefully, we will see some edible fruit soon. The weather is turning some cooler this week and we have had a good bit of rain. Have to admit I enjoy the lower humidity, it's been hot everywhere. We have a little plot of land here in middle Tennessee and live in a log house we built on my mother's home place in 2007 so I do have a rather big wrap around porch. Mother passed away in 2011 but she did get to spend some time on the porch enjoying the view of the mountain same as she did when she grew up on this land. I think she felt very blessed with the life God allowed her to live, she was 84 years old. I miss her every day. I have included a picture of our porch. Hope we get to sit here often with you. if you are ever in our neck of the woods, come see me. Hugs, Peggy

Farm girl #5880
Consider the possibilities
Wherever I am, that's where I will be.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  12:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Well, Welcome Peggy ...so glad to have you on The Virtual Porch!!! Come often and sit a spell. I think you are
one of the first newbies to come on and actually tell us a little something about yourself right off the bat.
I love that!!! Your wrap around home Porch looks amazing! I grew up with Big Porches like that in Montana. I
had one Porch in Spokane that was the entire front of the House...but from there all our Porches where small.
Which is better than non at all. I have always been a person who loves my Porch no matter the size and I spend
much time out there enjoying cool breezes, watching the squirrels, talking to my Scottish Terrier Snickers,
and reading and sleeping. It is always feels like a mini-vacation out there to me. ~ Sounds like you have been
busy with canning and freezing. I don't do any of that any more. Once it was just hubby and me I quit doing all
that...but I miss how pretty those canning jars of Peaches, Pears, Cherries, and Pickles look on my cupboard
shelves. I must admit that I have never had a Tomato Pie. Not something we make up North. It doesn't even sound
very appealing to me. About as adventurous as we get up here with tomatoes...is fried green tomatoes. Those I
love!!! And Zucchini Pizza Crust sounds really good even though I had never heard of that before. Is that a recipe
you can share??? Is your Porch screened in? It sort of looks like it there on the end...but couldn't tell in the front.
~ So, very nice to meet you...come back often and get to know us. There is always room for another sister on The Porch.

Judy...thank you for not making me saddle up and hunt you down...it's just too darn hot girl!!! You sound kinda lost
without your Sissy. I hope she makes it back to visit this weekend. She should have plenty to share with you after
being gone for a month. I'm really happy that she hasn't just sat at home pining for Jim...but decided to get out
and around family...and share the grief and have some hugs, laughs, good memories together. It would be so much
easier if everyone could do that...for a brief time after they lose a loved one.

Well, off to check my face book and then get some sleep (oh, yeah...a little reading first)...

Sweet Dreams My Lovelies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 21 2015 12:10:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  03:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Morning Porchies! Been quite awhile since I took the time to stop, sit and relax here on the porch! We finally got the old house done and listed the end of last month. We have had ten or eleven showings now, but no offers yet... The right person will come! I finally have the rental set up, with exception of the garage. It is so hot down here, that working in there lasts only a few minutes! A couple weeks ago we went and picked peaches. Canning them this year was harder on me, with my fibro being so bad right now, and being so pregnant. Now we are just waiting for Emi to make her debut. Less than two weeks to her due date! The rest of the kids have been working on a modified school schedule. We aren't doing every subject yet, but rather the "main" ones until after I get things settled with Emi and into a routine. I have also made some freezer meals... I should have a month's worth of dinners in the freezer :) Today I take my oldest to her horseback riding lessons, and then my youngest has a well child... I am suppose to take the kids in once a year around their birthday, but am about two months late with her... Oops ;) well, need to run and get ready to go... We leave in an hour and all the kids are still in bed! Enjoy your day!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  09:12:38 AM  Show Profile
Peggy-hi and welcome to the porch.
I also live in middle Tennessee. Little town called Manchester. Where the weather has been horrible. Well, except for this week. It's rained off and on and been so much cooler.
My tomatoes are still producing, even with split skins. I freeze them to can sauces later.
I pulled out the remnants of my squash plants after freezing their bounty.
Our watermelon plants have overtaken their assigned place & started growing up the back fence...which means that I needed to make slings to hold the getting heavier fruit.
Pumpkins & butternut squash are still growing. As well as my herb garden. I've dried so much that I'll have lots of good smelling bits to add to the laying boxes for sweetness. The girls like to nibble on the dried herbs while they lay eggs.
We started ducks in the spring, but it turns out while we do enjoy their eggs, it's getting harder and harder to keep them clean and fed. We've decided to 'process' them for their meat (which is very tasty yum) then we'll just have the six hens for eggs. My daughter wants to keep one or two of the girl ducks, but I keep telling her "in for a penny-in for a pound". We'd still have the same mess. And, while I love to hear them softly quacking except around feeding time, when they almost honk, they're so loud, and I will miss them, I won't miss cleaning out the ponds and all the extra feed. And we will have 7 birds in the freezer that I know what that ate & how they lived, enjoying green grasses, nummy bugs & extra garden scraps. I'm not sure my compost heap will be able to handle the overflow now!!
Well, I'm off to play with the duckies while we still have them.
Later girls.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile
Howdy everyone! I'm not sure the last time I stopped in on the porch :( This year has been such an incredibly challenging year. It's one thing after another and I've had so little spare time I haven't been able to check in with anything on MJF. But, on the positive side we've been blessed with lots of beautiful calves this year. We've had 19 heifers so far. One is a jersey/holstein cross so she's all black. 3 are black and white and the other 15 are red and white!!! We also have kept a red bull to butcher in a couple years. One of our 12 year old cows had twin bulls about 2 weeks ago. It took a lot out of her, but she's slowly coming around. We only have 3 more cows left to have their babies. One in a couple weeks and the other 2 get dried up in a week so they've got about 9 weeks until they're due. I don't want to complain too much so I'm going to see if I can post a few pictures instead of typing some more. I'm sorry I haven't went back and caught up with everything yet but I'm going to try and keep up more regularly.

Foxtrot (we call her Foxy) strutting her stuff next to her mom Jitterbug

Myrtle

The girls from this spring all trying to get in the picture :)

Crissy trying to get a hold of my camera :) Her mom is our other 12 year old cow.

I used my nieces old boots as flower pots.

We have lots of kittens too! I was worried the kitten I raised on the bottle wouldn't be a good momma kitty since she had a bad momma. It turns out she's the best mommy! She had 3 babies. The next morning she had 9 in her pile. She went around and rounded up all the kittens and kept putting them all together. Eventually the other cats agreed and brought all the kittens into one pile and they all nurse them all. Never seen that before, but I'm sure happy I didn't have to feed any again :)

I love this picture because it's usually the baby peeking out from behind the mom. Hubby called this one baby and it seems to have stuck. Her mom in the background is Carey.

I helped my nephew with his vet science project for 4-H. It was chosen to go to the state fair :) He didn't place at the state fair, but we had a lot of fun discussing the genetics involved in breeding our cows with the red genes. He learned a lot.

Well, it seems the rest of my pictures haven't been uploaded onto the computer yet. I'll have to do that before I get on here again so I can show you the twins. I better get this posted before it disappears! It was wonderful to sit and relax for a bit. Hopefully I'll be back soon!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  12:23:18 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies! Trying to get caught on everyone's posts here. Will keep reading till I do. Hope everyone is enjoying some nice weather. It has been hot, hot, hot here. Staying in the A.C. when I can!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2015 :  1:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Heather...oh, I always love your Farm Pictures. Thanks for being so good about sharing!!! My favorite is
The Girls!!! Too stinken cute! I loved the Kitty Mommy story too. How Precious that she went and collected
all the Farm Kitties...now that is a Good Mommy! I liked your nieces boots as flower pots and the 4-H Project
too. You've been busy girl!!! Don't worry about catching up...just hop back on and move forward.

Denise...same with you. Just start sharing what you have been up to besides trying to stay cool. Haven't we all?
What a Steaming Hot Summer we've had.

Kathy...love to hear your farm stories too. I like Ducks...they are fun to watch! Do they tomatoes split due to
too much sun and not enough water? I always assumed that...but I might be wrong.

Shannon...I can't believe that you are that close to delivering little Emi. Where has the time gone? Please post
some baby shots so we can all ooooooooooooh and awwwwwwweeeeeeee over her. You have had an extremely busy summer
my friend. I hope you take some time just to snuggle in with baby and get rested a little before she reaches that
baby demanding stage. It is good they sleep a lot while they are newborns or mommies would never get any sleep.

Well, my gal who does my house cleaning finally made it to my house. She is moving her parents and so I haven't
seen her for three weeks and my Apartment was needing her desperately. It always looks so much better after she
has been here.

I wrote a long letter to a pen-pal today and other than that have not accomplished anything else. I'm tired as
for some reason unknown to me I woke up and 7 am. I don't do mornings girls!!! So, now my fatigue is kicking in.

More later this weekend.

Hugs and Joy,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 21 2015 1:59:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2015 :  06:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Good morning porchies...

Up date on mom. She didn't have surgery. The anesthiologist refused because her trachea is so small that they can hardly get a pediatric trachea tube in. That being said, she has to go for some kind of nuclear test (injected with some kind of radioactive dye) that will high light the tumor and help determine if it's cancerous or not. Almost like salt in a wound. Just concerns me that if she was in some kind of emergency situation, would the attendings in the er be able to tube her? Any way, I can't borrow trouble as the saying goes. Work is going ok. I'm driving on my own, picking up clients and taking them around. Still have some training to do, but it's minor. Have had a bad flea infestation to the point of getting bombs. I know, I know. But I would rather kill a spider as big as a pie plate than deal with fleas. In a half hour I can go back into the house. I bombed it over night and stayed at my mother in laws nearby. Not looking forward to the cleaning.

Love the cow pictures. Tammy, good luck with your butterflies. They look like a good group. Love the braided rug.

Well it's off to clean, clean, clean. Have a good weekend all.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2015 :  08:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Happy weekend ladies,
It is quiet here this morning and a beautiful morning in my neck of the woods. We have had some rather nice cool days for August. Got the one son settled in college and the other one living at home, I worked on space in basement for him so he has his own spot. The housing we have looked into even with a roommate is still more than he or we can afford. We decided to help him find a car to get better gas mileage and my dear hubby can drive son's truck as it won't cost much for gas since he will be just driving it back and forth to school. His first full week was long he said. Of course he teaches high school and as he said they aren't exactly excited to be in school.

Today I have been doing some cleaning of bedding and things. Just needed to get things in order.
Shannon I can't believe it is almost time for little Emi.
Peggy what are you doing for bible study? We just started a Priscilla Shirer study on the Sabbath. I have also been studying prayer on my own as our school theme centers on prayer this year.

To the new Peggy so glad to have you on the porch. Welcome
Judy so glad Peggy didn't have to high tail after you girlie. HOpe your sweet sissie comes back soon.

well ladies I am off to do some errands and things.
love to you all
Tammy

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2015 :  10:24:19 AM  Show Profile
Lorena...we have been so fortunate this summer...no fleas!!! Usually each year I have to treat the dog and the
Apartment. I blame it on the bark mulch. The fleas love to hide in that stuff and that is always where the dogs
want to go pee. I found a spray at a Local Vets that cost $20.00 a can and I spray all the carpet, kennel, dog
beds and mattresses and it takes care of the fleas. Best thing I have ever used and not toxic like the bombs.
But desperate times call for desperate measures...I get that!!!!

Teacher Tammy...well, maybe that worked out the best with one boy staying at home this year. Not complete empty
nest for you yet. Does he feel cheated by not getting out on his own or is he somewhat releaved?
For Bible Study this year we are doing Children of The Day by Beth Moore the study on Thessalonians. I think you
shared that you had done that study and liked it. I have just started preparing it and am really enjoying it so
far. My Bible Study Group starts back up on Sept. 3rd. And then the first week in Oct. we head to the cost for
our 4 day Ladie's Retreat. And Oh, am I ever ready for that!!! ~ Our kids here don't start school until Sept. 4th
which is a Friday (that seems like such a lame time to start)right before the Major Holiday but oh, well!! I bet a
lot of families will keep them out of School that Friday so that they can have a long 4 day weekend and go camping or
something. You know...that final big Hoorah before fall officially is here.

Ok...my Sweet Sisters. Have an Enjoyable weekend. It is going to be another Hot weekend and week coming up. Fall
looks a long ways away in my neck of the woods. Our State also continues to be burning up with fires. Australia
and New Zealand are sending 71 firefighters to help out and the National Guards and even regular citizens are
volunteering. Our firefighters are weary and exhausted...please keep them in your prayers.

Big Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 22 2015 10:27:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2015 :  4:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Looks like Patsy won't be back for awhile yet. Jim's uncle passed away yesterday morning. He was in the hospital a few weeks ago with heart problems. Only a tiny percentage of it was working. He went into a nursing home and now he's gone. I just met him while he was in the hospital. They called him 'Uncle Chick.'He was a very spiritual man and sweet and smiley. I'm so glad I met him. He did my heart good just visiting him for a few minutes. Patsy loved him and he loved her. She's hurting all over again girls. She said, 'Is there any end to this death and sadness trip I'm on?' I know what she means. Please keep her lifted up in prayer!
Jim had a lot of retired preachers and spiritual men in his family. It's sad to see them go...but they are elders and I understand it's just their time...but...*sigh*...they leave such a hole.Who will fill their shoes?
I've really enjoyed the pics you gals are sharing.Thank you!So good to hear from you who have been gone for so long.
Welcome to the porch PMPeggy!I enlarged your pic to see the chicken planters and the kitty laying there. Love the planters. I too was going to ask if that lovely porch was all screened in. How wonderful that would be....NO SKEETERS!!!hahaha

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
"Hey...Don't Make Me Put My Hands On My Hips!"
"The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it is on my list!"
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2015 :  7:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Peggy -
I had a terrible flea problem in May and June - had to get a flea treatment twice to get them under control.
And then I got a pantry bug? problem - got that under control now, too.
I guess it was the wet weather we got in Texas during April and May. Now we are back in drought conditions again. Go figure. At least the lake levels are up.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2015 :  10:29:28 AM  Show Profile
Was just about in tears yesterday. The plug going from the generator to the house decided to short out. Hence no generator. The bombs did NOTHING for the fleas. Went to my mom's an hour one way to get the shampooer (this is before the generator shorting out). Husband "put a bandaid" on the plug which didn't work. We got another bomb and set it off last night. Didn't work. So this morning, with the help from my mother in law and my 8 yo son, all the carpets got torn out, except for the one in my son's room. The upstairs one was bad. We pitched them through the opened hall window at the base of the stairs which goes to the loft which is our bedroom. The hall way one wasn't as bad. Trying to convince husband to put in linoleum is like pulling hen's teeth. Well he's got something else coming. He's going to put in some plywood upstairs to fix the subflooring or he'll pay for the plywood and I'll do it. Then we'll talk flooring. Living off grid is not conducive to having carpeting in a house and he won't accept it. So we'll see who wins this battle.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page