Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  5:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Farmgirl Friends!
First, Thank you to Heather for the yummy sounding teas. We are going for an overnight to Kansas City tomorrow (funeral) I'm taking that tea with me for comfort. Your tuckins are so cute. I have made small tea cozies; but, your larger one is perfect for these larger bags! And that little tea bag/cup is adorable! Hmmm, wonder if I can figure out that pattern. Your effort is appreciated.
We have skunks, raccoon and opossums all the time at our woodsy place. More skunk in the Springs though. We can smell the spray. Haven't been a target YET. lol.
Bunny, Sorry to here about your kitty. We're just never ready to lose our sweet pets. Hugs. I'm doing a happy dance for you about your SF opportunity. Hope it works out. Also, another one for your 5 sales! Whew! Am I worn out from dancing!
PG Tammy, Since my summer illnesses we haven't been eating meat at all, maybe a little fish. I think out grocery bill has gone down. It will probably go up again this winter though since we like organic veggies.
Shannon- I can remember the days of canning that many tomatoes. I can't believe between myself and extended family we actually used it all. Memories..now we are 2.
Judy- FYI I am sending you invisible hugs every day. Still praying for you and Patsy and Momma. We just turned our heat on in our house. The nights are definitely getting cooler here in Iowa.
Hey, Darlene...are you on hold?
Peggy- I'm so glad you had another wonderful retreat with your friends. Now, back to reality! I'll be praying for your son, and then of course your little grandboy's face will slip into the picture.
Well off to Kansas City tomorrow. Then on Sunday we will pick up DH's aunt and uncle again in Des Moines to travel to Illinois to visit another uncle. Seems like we are on the road a lot lately. At least I'm not laying in bed with the fibrom like the last 2 days.
Talk at you all later.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  5:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,
Heather thank you for the wonderful tea. Very delicious.

It has been busy here. We have parent teacher conferences on Friday so I get to share how my butterflies are growing and where they need a bit of clipping their wings so to speak. For the most part I enjoy these but there are a few that I say prayers about.

The weather here has been beautiful for fall. I just love it. Crisp mornings, warm afternoons, and cool evenings. Beautiful artwork in the sunset so life is good.

well need to finish up my bible lessons for tomorrow's bible class with my gal pals.
yall have a lovely evening,
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Whispers of Morning
http://todayanewday.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  9:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Coming to check in on the porch before heading to bed. I hope all is well with everyone.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  06:05:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! Can I join you? There is an awful lot to go back and catch up but I'd like to join the chat from here on out!!

I have been absent from MJF for a year or so now (maybe two?) but have decided to come back, I need the encouragement and inspiration. I'm working on starting a chapter here in Bavaria Germany! (Will be mostly army wives). So that is exciting, I've had a good bit of interest too.

I am doing a therapy program with my middle daughter that may be the death of me, or at least result in a lot more gray hairs. Its intense and she doesn't cooperate which makes it more intense. Hopefully we find a good groove soon before I loose my mind.

Look forward to getting to know y'all!
Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  08:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina, welcome!! There is always room on the porch! This is a good place for encouragement. Everyone is very supportive and we love to meet new farmgirls!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  09:50:03 AM  Show Profile
Sure has been quiet on the porch here lately! I have a bowl of frozen strawberries that we picked earlier this year... anyone want any? Yup - we are warm enough to eat frozen fruit, lol. But it is getting nice and chilly at night, in the 40s and 50s :)

Today I am working on making and canning some chicken broth. Throughout the year, when we use a whole chicken, cut up in parts, we always throw the backs in the freezer. After I get a collection, and canning of produce is done for awhile, I start making broth for the year. By the time I am done, I should have a good 12-18 quarts of broth :) And then I'll take a week or two off and then do it again, lol. I try to spend a week doing canning, then the next week crafty stuff, etc, to kinda break it up a little. I have some swap items I really need to get to work on!

Peggy - most definitely praying for your son! Have things improved at all? And what an "event" you had at the DMV. Why in the world was your birth certificate not good enough????

TLTammy - Your butterflies are growing beautifully I am sure! How wonderful that you pray for them! It is those that will probably have the greatest progress in their lives!!!

Sabrina - welcome to the porch :) I love visiting here and "chatting." There are almost always seems to be someone here, though recently it has been oddly quiet!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  11:31:19 AM  Show Profile

My Motto This Week...as My Birthday is Saturday!!! Some times it is hard NOT to FREAK over the Age Thing. LOL

Hi My Porchies...

My week continues to be a busy one. I guess I am enjoying it but need to sleep more to rest from all the
activities. Growing Old...Aint it Grand. God keeps reminding me Not to Complain, many people don't make
it to my age. He is Great At Putting Things Into Perspective isn't He? LOL

WELCOME TO THE PORCH SABRINA...We are a Crazy Group but we'll grow on you I promise!!! No, really this is
a Safe Place to come and share (good or bad) what is happening in your life. Or just to come and kick
your boots off and climb onto the Porch Swing or a Rocker and just spend some relaxing time getting to
know each other better. I love the fact that you are going to start a MJF Group there in Germany. You Go
Girl!!! That will be fun!!! You can share with us how it goes. So, do you just have one child? Sounds
like she keeps you busy.

Anyway Girls, I am leaving some home-made Maple scones on The Porch for Every One with a
Pot of Cranberry Tea (my new favorite) and/or a Pot of Coffee. Take your pick. The Coffee is Moon Pie.
Oh, yes...I don't drink plain Ol' Anything. LOL You know me!!!

We are finally having Fall Weather...the last two days. The leaves are falling from the Trees and it is
cool and wet outside. I still haven't turned the heat on yet. I think I will make it to my goal of November.

I got my VW Bug back last night. It is fixed but still has issues. Like the Tranny is starting to slip on
occasion. I am so ready to sell this lemon and be done with it. We paid 7,000 for the car...have put 2,700
into it and still it isn't running up to parr. I am just soooooooo done with it. I didn't even want my
husband to put this last 1,700 into it...but we can't sell it without it having been fixed and running so, I
guess it was smart. Now I have to go re-license it. We got a 6 month waver because we weren't driving it.

Thanks for the prayers for my son. A blessing happened that while the Family was trying to scrounge the money
up to help him with his rent...one of his Neighbors handed him a $1,000 dollars and told him that He did not
have to pay him back. Wow...does God answer prayer or What??? This is my middle son Pat who is a confirmed
bachelor at 36. He thinks God had nothing to do with it...but he is sooooooooooo wrong!

Well, DH is up so I guess we are off to do more errands and then I have to go to BnN and start my lesson on
Heaven...that I am teaching on Thursday Nights. It is Not an easy Study at all...but we are learning so much!

Hi Bunny, Catherine, Shannon, TL Tammy, Darlene, Judy and PG Tammy and all The Rest Of Our Missing in Action
Porchies. I am ready to send the Posse out looking for a Few of You. LOL

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 22 2014 1:29:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  3:37:39 PM  Show Profile
Oops! I thought I had better make a showing before Peggy sent the POSSE after me!!

Heather.....thanx for the tea and the cutest ever mobile tea keep :) And the lovely bookmark. Never have enough bookmarks and always lookin' for one!! The tea selections....terrific.....pumpkin spice is my favorite of all time! You were quite the busy bee getting these tea packages together......again Thanx So Much!!!!!

Peg so nice that your son did receive a blessing from a friend.....not enough of those kind of folks around! But of course he will still be in my prayers! Hope things work out for your kiddo! I am so sad for your problems with the Bug! I know how excited you were when you first took possession of it! Hope you can sell it and get something more dependable.

Sabrina.....welcome to the PORCH....we always like new visitors who want to be porchies! How did you end up in Germany? I have a high school friend who has lived in Germany for decades....he met his wife when he was in the Army and has been there ever since. How many kiddos do you have? Again welcome!!!!

Shannon.....how are feeling? Surgery wise!! Broken any more stitches ? Tsk Tsk!! Be good! You exhaust me.....with all you are constantly doing! I am a bit of a lazy bum! LOL :)

Good news for Texas....51 people dropped of the Ebola watch!

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  4:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
My post just flew away again! I'll try this again.

No, I was not on the phone all this time. LOL!

My Aunt and a friend both died on Saturday. Tomorrow is my friend's service and Thursday is my Aunt's. My fried had ovarian cancer and suffered horribly. My Aunt was 98 and had a stroke. Peaceful in Jesus's arms now!

So ready for my dining room to be completed. I am to old for any construction, destruction or any other rehabs! The floor should be ready to lay down next week and then all the furniture placed and then the house can get back to normal. Hopefully no leaks this winter and all will be well with the world!

Still haven't caught the cop killer.

Pumpkin pie and pumpkin spice tea for your enjoyment.

Praying for all your needs and peace for your souls.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  7:47:19 PM  Show Profile
Mel and Darlene...I bet you heard the Posse coming!!! LOL

Mel...glad to have you back on, don't stay away so long girlfriend.

Darlene...how did I miss the Dining Room Remodel??? Oh, you are so brave.
I went nuts last Spring when my Kitchen was remodeled. 3 weeks of dust and noise
and smells...but in the end it was Worth It All! Hope you feel the same way.

Girls The Posse may be galloping your way...as I speak. So get your booty back here!!! LOL

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Oct 22 2014 1:32:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  05:42:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi all -

Not much new in northeast PA - just rain, rain and more rain. We have been dry all summer, now it seems like we are making up for it. Still looking for the sniper in our woods - sure wish they would catch him. Schools were closed again yesterday because there was a possible sighting in the area.

Other than that, trying to catch up after being on vacation and working on knitting an afghan as a gift.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

My blog: finallyafarmgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

country treasure
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

judy
SK
Canada
452 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  05:45:33 AM  Show Profile
HI Friends!
Goodness it feels good to sit for tea! I have a early baking order so the house already smells good & hubby loves the leftovers so he says it's a win win situation. LOL
We finally took the weekend off which was soooo over due! We went to a farm auction & found some great savings for us. But the best part...anyone that wants to can join the fun of a pot luck supper after the auction. This time there was a bon fire & someone played music. There's a lot of talented folks with instruments around here. I baked up Sharon's mincemeat & green tomato pies & everyone enjoyed them. The table is always loaded full with such yummy food but farmers do know how to eat!!!! LOL Sunday was another NO work day that's pretty rare at this time of year so we soaked it in! Monday sure was hard to get back at it!!!!! LOL
The weather has been a real treat lately. We're able to get extra jobs done before snow flies.
We just heard this morning that the kids won't be able to fly home for Christmas which honestly brought tears to me but our daughter was sooooo disappointed that we smoothed it over. SOOOOOOO close but work took over again! BUT>>>>>>hold on to your pants.....that girl is on a plane early Nov & the ticket is bought so no turning back this time!!!!!! The bad part is Pete doesn't get to come so will have to spoil him with treats. Love airport "Hellos" but sure hate letting GO at the airport! Oh well, won't think about that yet! She's coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope everyone has a great day
Hugs Judy

ps.......Peggy, you're not getting older.....you're getting better!!!!!!!!!!!

country wishes!
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  06:29:19 AM  Show Profile
Peggy - Happy early Birthday :) I am horrible about looking at certain ages as I approach them, and panic at the number. When I turned 25, I cried because I was "a quarter of a century old." How pathetic is that! Looking back now, I just shake my head!!! My sister turned 40 this past summer, and she really struggled with it - I will definitely be sharing that photo's saying with her! Sorry to hear about your Bug! It is so frustrating when you spend so much on a Lemon and then have to spend so much more to fix it to sell yourself! We have a suburban that I adore, but we are outgrowing. If we are blessed with more children, we are going to have to invest in a 12 or 15 passenger van. I am dreading car shopping again! We've had our suburban for over eleven years! We did end up putting a new engine n it a year or two ago, but what a fantastic, albeit gas guggling, vehicle! As for your son's neighbor - oh how I love how God answers prayers!!!! Continuing to pray for him!

Mel - welcome back to the porch ;) I am feeling pretty well since the surgery! My incisions have finally healed enough that they are staying together. I started off on two blood pressures and was able to quit the one, and am only on a quarter of the amount of the other. With how I am feeling today, I'm thinking I will be stopping it in the next day or two. The doctor had said to quit it if my blood pressure is consistently in the 120s over 70s... right now though it is in the 110s over 80s. I'm going to shoot her an e-mail and see if I can quit it, as it is making me really really lightheaded, which is how I feel right before we have been decreasing it. The best thing though that has happened is thay I have not had to take ANY more potassium (I was on 200 mEq a day!) and I have not passed out since the morning of the surgery! (I was passing out a minimum of one or two times EVERY day!) As for my busy-ness... trust me I have my lazy moments!!!!! However, with six kids home all day, and trying to survive off of my hubby's military pay, I HAVE to keep busy! I am hoping to start making more of our clothing to help reduce our clothing costs, along with trying to bake more breads (we are gluten free, so I need to do some playing!)

Darlene - I am so very very sorry for your losses! What a tough week this has been for you!!!! Will definitely be praying for comfort for you over the next couple od days especially!!!

Luanne - the fact they have STILL not caught the guy is frightening! I would really like to learn how to knit. I learned to finger-knit and arm knit, so I guess I need to try the real thing ;) Hmmmm maybe some time when I have "free" time.

Well today I have more chicken broth going, and I am really hoping to can some dry beans - I detest cooking them, so I cook them during canning :) And of course there is always school to do with the kiddos, as they are certainly not independent yet!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  06:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warm welcome!!

A little about me....well lets see, I have 3 kids and one on the way. Ages 9, 5 and 3 and baby is due in Feb. I homeschool so we are pretty busy with that. I think I finally found a solution that will work for all of us after trying out so many different curriculum I've lost count!! Hubby is in the army and that is why we are in Germany, we are stationed here for 3 year total (we leave early 2017). This is actually our second tour here but we were in a different area last time and didn't have children so its been quite a different experience.

The weather seems to have just turned colder here, last night something blew in and the temperatures dropped. Its happened a few times in the last month or two so I'm wondering if its going to actually "stick" this time.

Shannon-I love the idea of canned chicken broth, I usually just make mine and freeze it but I like the idea of canning better because then I don't have to remember to thaw it!! I need to invest in a pressure canner. On the other hand I guess I'd have to freeze the bones to have enough to justify heating up the canner! I really want an instapot but haven't been able to justify buying one when I have stuff that does most of what it does but I read somewhere you can pressure can like 4 qts at a time in it, anyone know if that's true? IF it is it might be worth it :).

Darlene-so sorry to hear about your losses.

I'm off to find Christmas ornament ideas for a service project my 9-year-old wants to work on. We need to make small ornaments for 12" trees and they need to be in the mail by Nov 1st so we have to do it with stuff we have or can find easily (we are pretty limited on things that are considered easy to find in the states!).

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  2:26:05 PM  Show Profile

HAPPY FALL MY PRETTY PORCHIES...

Well, I see The Posse has rounded a few MIA Farmgirls up. Yahooh!!! Ride 'em Cowgirls!

Today we have gotten a River of Rain! Yes, it is literally flowing down the streets like a river. We are
suppose to get 2 inches today. Yuck! I woke up with terrible back pain at noon. I had to take a Tylenol 3
last night (so I guess that is why I slept so long)...but anyway, I got right up and headed for a HOT shower
to warm my muscles up. Which really helped. But I declared it a PAJAMA DAY...and plan to just sit here at my
kitchen table and work both on and off line.

I fixed a total comfort food Lunch...An Elvis Presley Favorite...Peanut Butter/Banana/Honey Sandwich! And oh,
it tasted soooooooooooo good!!! My dog even begged for some but I didn't share. He made me feel guilty though
so I fixed him a piece of Toast with Lots of Butter on it. He loves that for a Treat once in awhile. I think
he loves the butter and could care less about the Toast because if you give him dry toast he won't eat it. LOL

Husband just left to run my car through DEQ. It should pass with flying colors after all that work on it.
Still haven't made up my mind on selling or keeping it. Pretty soon it is going to be a Brand New
Bug with all parts replaced. LOL

Darlene...I forgot to let you know that I do pray for your losses. It is hard when people around us start dying right
and left. Maybe having been a Nurse you got use to that a little bit more than most of us would have but it still
has to hurt.

My Country Treasure Judy...I read that your kids weren't coming home for Christmas and I just let out a big OLD SIGH OF
DISAPPOINTMENT for you! My heart actually plummeted down to the basement...I was so sad for you. UNTIL I read on and saw
that your Daughter was going to make it!!!!!!! Then I jumped up and Danced a Happy Dance for YOU!! Oh, YES I DID!!! (+:
Happy Happy Happy FOR YOU and Walt. Big Hugs Girlfriend! And yes, I am Aging Like Fine Wine or Cheese!!! LOL

Luanne...I cannot believe that they haven't captured that guy yet. It just goes to show that he is a True Survivalist.
That is Scary!!! But I know the pressure is on those guys to keep up the Manhunt until He is either captured or killed.
We continue to PRAY! ~ You will have to post a picture of your Afghan when you get it done.

Shannon...you have six kids and you want more? God Bless Your Heart! That is True Love for Motherhood flowing through
your veins girl. I have a His, Mine and Ours situation...and have six kids but three of them did not grow up under
our roof. Just Holidays and Summer Vacations. All are grown and out of the House...but have gifted us with 9 grandchildren
and 3 great-grandchildren. Our Quiver feels Quite Full!!! ~ If you have more kids you will need that 10-12 seat-er Van
alright. ~ Thanks for the Birthday Wishes!~ Your home-made broth sounds good! I use to do all those canning and dehydrating things when my kids were still home...but now I just bite the dust and buy them. But there is nothing more beautiful than
all those Jars of Canned Food Lining the Pantry Shelves.

Sabrina...You are Another Dedicated to Motherhood...mommy! Did you come from a large family yourself? The reason I ask is
it seems like people from large families tend to want large families. Just a personal observation. I came from a family of 3 kids and I had 3 kids. So, you and Shannon have a lot in common...both married to Military Men and both having good sized
Families. You two should become penpals. Oh, wait...what was I thinking...you are both way too busy for that. LOL I have a
MJF Pen-pal I just love...so, I think everyone must want one too. LOL

Well, girls...I have work to do and I have already been on here far too long.

Have a Wonderful Day...and Remember to Bless Someone Today...even IF it's yourself. Sometimes we need it just
as much as someone else. Take some "ME TIME" if you need it.

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  7:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Peggy - I'm here! Don't send the posse LOL

I've really been exhausted. M*'s new work schedule is kicking my butt :o/ 5am is WAY too early for this girl especially since I'm "supposed" to be retraining the dogs to sleep in later, which means I'm supposed to be staying up later. Needless to say it's not working well. I'm having to take long lunch breaks (TG for flex schedule) so I can take a nap. Some days the pups and I will get up at 5, go out, I'll feed the furkids and then we all go back to bed lol. Other days I'm wide awake.

On top of his work schedule I found out Monday morning that one of my girlfriends in Michigan tried to commit suicide Sunday night, which just seriously knocked me mentally. She took 80 Klonopins and then posted she'd done it on FB, so it was really a scream for help, and thankfully they found her, she was hospitalized and is now in a group home. Supposedly they're releasing her Thursday. Doesn't that seem insanely soon for somebody that tried to commit suicide? I'd tried to reach out to her on several occasions this summer and she wouldn't answer my calls or respond. She has a daughter that is 18 and another one that's 5. Her name is Kristine if you'd add her to your prayers and thoughts.

On the positive side the weather has been beautiful here. We had a little rain this afternoon so the morning and afternoon were gray but the evening was nice. The leaves are pretty much down and my lawn is covered in layers of varigated yellow. It's beautiful. I went to the early yoga class tonight and she kicked my butt. I'm use to Hatha yoga which is slower and calming but this was a power yoga class which is faster and more intense and I was sweating like a fool. As I was driving home I glanced at the sky and was in awe of how beautiful it was. North Dakota has some of the most beautiful skies I've ever seen. The shades of aqua and pink are so spectacular it's beyond words.

Heather - got my teas! Our minds think so much alike it's not funny. I almost did a similar bookmark lol Glad I decided on another project.

Sabrina - Welcome! I've always wanted to visit Germany. My grandfather came over as a young man. My half sister has done research into where our family on his side is but I don't have any info. Need to look into it one of these days. I'm crossing my fingers my son gets stationed over there so I have a really good reason to visit lol. I'm prior Navy myself and I worked for the Army for 6 yrs before moving here to ND. I use to homeschool my kids when they were kids. Loved it! What method do you use? I started out intense and then evolved to more of a relaxed unit/unschool type.

Peggy - saw that leaf jar craft you were describing in Capper's Magazine. I didn't like the jug they did but a small Mason jar would be nice.

Books: Money Secrets of the Amish by Lorilee Craker. The Healing Quilt by Wanda Brunstetter (Kindle special for $3.99) and The Oldways 4-week Mediterranean Diet Menu Plan.

Podcast: I found a podcast called Amish Wisdom. Sara Gore was the last one that hosted it. I'm blanking on the name of the first host. It's no longer being produced but there are about 2.5 yrs of weekly blogs so plenty to listen to. Peggy you might like it as the host has different authors, photographers, quilters, etc. discuss their books and the wisdom they've gotten from the Amish. I listen to it online at the Apple Store while I'm working.

Well I need to go get some zzz's. Unfortunately 5 will be here way to soon for my taste.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGpysyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  05:02:51 AM  Show Profile
Ugh its raining and dreary again today, I guess I better get used to it since if I remember right this is pretty much what German winter consists of-plus ice and snow (I'm originally from Texas so those are not things I'm used to!).

Went to Bible Study this morning and the nursery workers were not the usual ladies and my gluten sensitive daughter was given bread. Which basically means my afternoon is shot (her behavior is already completely out of control from it). I'm always so exhausted after Bible study anyway (not sure why) and I didn't sleep well last night between pregnancy induced acid reflux and my allergies acting up with the weather change. I'm seriously considering turning on the tv but that is usually a reward they have to earn and it certainly hasn't been earned this afternoon.

I joined some swaps so now I need to find some chicken stuff to make! That will be fun.

Peggy- the short and simple answer is no I did not come from a big family. (There is also a long and complicated answer to but we will stick with this for now lol). Hubby came from a family of 3 kids but his parents came from bigger families. We decided when I was pregnant with our second that we would like a large family unfortunately we have had 4 miscarriages too, so it makes the kids we do have seem like even more of the miracles they are. And yes Shannon and I seem to have a lot in common! :)

Tammy- we are eclectic/unschool/unit study types but like you that has evolved over the years. We started out with a few different things, tried Sonlight, did Classical Conversations for a couple years, tried My Father's World, dabbled in a few others here and there but I think have settled on a really relaxed unit study type approach that will work for everyone.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  08:02:31 AM  Show Profile
Judy - that auction sounds fantastic! One of these days, my hubby and I would love to go to a farming auction. It would be a matter of keeping all the kiddos quiet, though, which can be difficult. I'm so sorry your kiddos won't be home for Christmas, but I am so excited that your daughter will be there soon to visit!

Peggy - My hubby and I have always said we would take however many children God blesses us with :) After my first daughter, we had two miscarriages. I didn't think we would be able to have another! Then we had my oldest son. When he was 8-9 months old, we got pregnant again with twins, but then lost one of them at around 10 weeks (they call it a vanishing twin - as if it is a magic trick - grrrrrr), yet was able to go full term with the other, another boy. We were then blessed with another daughter, though she was an emergency c-section. Our youngest son was born about two years later, sand then another miscarriage. Then Aly came along :) When we said we would take however many God blesses us with, He grew us, in that we also now accept the ones He gives us for only a short period of time. I may have lost those four babies here on earth, but they will forever be with us! I was one of 5, and my hubby one of three. Ironically, however, both of my hubby's parents are one of eight or nine. My dad has three half siblings and my mom only one of three. Add to that, my mom's parents were Amish. My grandfather's family left the faith when he was only 13, so he was not shunned, though his parents were. My grandmother, on the other hand, had joined the Amish church herself, and left at around 19 to marry my grandfather... she was shunned! I still keep in touch with many of my Amish relatives, though not as much as I use to... when we lived in DE, we were able to visit a lot of them, and now we are restricted to writing letters. As for Sabrina and I becoming penpals, that may indeed happen, as I organize the Penpal thread and Sabrina has signed up as well, lol. I look at writing letters as some "adult-adult time, as I am consumed with time with my kids 24-7. Don't get me wrong - I love it, but sometimes I just need adult contact :)

PGTammy - eeks! I cannot bring myself to get up that early! My hubby gets up at 4, and I wake up enough to tell him I love him, and then I am back out for a few more hours! I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, but am thankful she is getting some help! I know down here if you are considered a "voluntary hospitalization," opposed to being court ordered, you can sign yourself out in three days!

Sabrina - is it purely behavioral issues your gluten sensitive child has after given gluten? My kiddos have really bad stomach issues as well! To add to it, my 5 yo daughter runs a crazy high temp a few hours later as well! She probably has celiacs, but I am not willing to give her gluten, or any of the others for that matter, to do the testing!!! My oldest child has no issues with it, but the rest do. It took us a long time to figure out what it was.... By the time my oldest son was three, we took them off of it, and it was then that he started talking and gaining weight. We were also finally able to potty train him. Up to that point he looked like a third world country child.... a pop belly, yet you could see all of his ribs! We had done two or three colonoscopies, yet they never came back with gluten issues (though we were told he had ulcerative colitis), and later found out that they were looking for scarring which often doesn't happen until you are a teenager :/ As for the miscarriages - we are in the same boat! It has taken some time, but I am slowly looking at those as blessings as well, and trying to be thankful for the time we had the babies, rather than mourning the time we will not have. There are definitely times that is easier said then done! We are still trying to figure out the best curriculums for our kids. We are pretty eclectic, picking and choosing which ones we want to use for the various subjects. I am getting more and more easy going and relaxed ;)

Well speaking of school, the middle boy needs some help, so I'm off to work on english with him :)

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  11:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Sabrina and Shannon...you would make great pen-pals. And yes, Shannon I remembered you took over Pen-Pals
but gosh you ladies sound so busy. I guess I was too at your age...but you just go with the flow as I
remember. I had one miscarriage... my last baby and she was the girl I always wanted. But like you both said
she is there just waiting for us to join her someday. Wow...I have never heard of a "disappearing twin"
before. That is strange! And like you, I don't like the name they attach to that. ~ I never home schooled.
It is not my temperament to Teach Kids. I did teach Sunday School to every age group when I was a fairly
new Christian...but once I taught a couple of Classes in The Bible College for Women Only...I knew where
my true calling was. Teaching Women The Word. In fact I teach Bible Study tonight!
And you both just blew my BiG Families have Big Families Theory to smithereens. So What Do I know? LOL

Prairie Gypsy Tammy...I just went on Amazon and ordered the Healing Quilt. Thanks for sharing the Price on
that. She is one of my Favorite Amish Authors. I have almost all her Amish Stories. I will have to check
out that Podcast too...sounds interesting.

OK girls...bad Fibro Day for me (again) so going for a Nap. More Later!

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  12:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Shannon, we just keep having more and more in common!! Yes the issues are mostly behavioral from what we can tell, however in have to wonder if there is a physical side that she just isn't able to tell us yet. I went gluten free when I found out I was pregnant this time as I've heard of people having success with that and since both my daughters and my mom have confirmed gluten sensitivities (the girls confirmed through blood test and my mom now gets violently I'll if she eats it) I figured it was worth a shot, well one day I was sooooo hungry but soooo nauseous I couldn't eat anything but was craving bread so I caved and basically binged on bread, I felt like I had the flu for a week, including a slightly elevated temp. I know it was the gluten, so I do wonder what it does to them physically. My older daughter says it gives her an upset stomach and makes her feel "icky." As for the miscarriages, I'm in a very similar place as you, we had one, then had both girls, when I was pregnant with my second daughter we decided to let God decide our family size (surrender would be a better word than decided) them we had another miscarriage then conceived our son right after that and went on to have him with no issues, after him I had a miscarriage at 17 weeks pregnant then hubby deployed and when he got back we had another miscarriage, early this time. When I got pregnant this time I used progesterone cream,went gluten free and prayed a lot!! I'm 22 weeks now and so far everything is going well. I've honestly been questioning if I can handle continuing to get pregnant and potentially miscarrying, I felt like I just couldn't handle the stress and heartbreak anymore but as this pregnancy progresses I find myself more able to accept the idea of future pregnancies even if they are short and end up with another baby in heaven as well as being able to view the other miscarriages as blessings....this is all a recent thing for me thought.

Peggy, I have fibro too. I've gotten to a place where I don't have many bad days and when I do it's usually no more than three in a row but this pregnancy has been rough on my fibro! Just to say I get how you feel and hope tomorrow is a better day!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  12:13:57 PM  Show Profile
Ohh I forgot I was going to expand on what we are trying now for homeschooling, I need the full keyboard so I'll come back tomorrow and tell you more. Definitely interested in what you are doing too!! For now it's nighttime here and I didn't sleep well last night so I'm off to sleep (hopefully)!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow, so much going on. Just suffice to say I have read it all and will add you all to my prayers.

Not much going on in my world. Just sewing and enjoying the rain. Fibro pain is ok but the fatigue is taking me out way to early in the day. I tried to talk to my new Dr. about it. They seem so stuck on the pain part they don't acknowledge the fatigue. Which right now is my biggest issue.
Sabrina, Preggers and fibro. Tough combo. I can't imagine how you make it through the day with kids.

Oldest son has a new girlfriend. I'm so happy for him. Youngest is on a ship in Norfolk waiting for a two week training along the coast. Sometime next year he will be out for about 9 to 12 months headed for the Persian Gulf. Thankfully he won't be getting off. He is a helicopter mechanic and also does cargo. He said he met the Dutch equivalent to the US Marines the other day. He said "mom, they are kinda big and scary looking". He is use to all his 20 year old buddies. He was the tallest in basic training. He might be a Marine, but he is still just a tall stick. Love him anyway!

Bunny

Farmgirl number 3738
My blogs:
www.curiousorangecat.com
Handmade stuff http://www.curiousorangecat.etsy.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  6:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Evening ladies. Homemade pizza to share tonight :O) Eat up!

Here's a picture of my yard in it's variegated yellow. We're going to have to get the blower out this weekend and clean it up. I can't find the dog droppings it's so deep lol. Today was beautiful again, temp hit 70'. It was so nice I took the pups out for a short walk at lunch before we took a nap. Oreo hasn't been feeling well, woke up at 4:20 with her gagging and retching under the bed. Not a good start to the day. She's been whining a lot and wants to be held. I'm going to have to break down and take her in and see what's up. It's starting to worry me. I think she likes nap time as I let her sleep in bed with me which isn't allowed by the man (but what he doesn't know won't hurt him lol).

I managed to get Tip to finally sit for a picture. Him and Lacey were being bashful for some reason.

Peggy - I was excited to see that price too for Healing Quilt. I'd found the first 2 in the series on Paperbackbookexchange.com but hadn't found the third. I could have loaned it to you since you have a Kindle as I recall.

Think I'll run and go read a bit before bed. It's just after 8pm and I'm ready to sleep already.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://ndprairiegypsy.blogspot.com/
Etsy: PrairieGpysyCrafts
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  10:16:39 PM  Show Profile
Prairie Tammy...you got leaves girl!!!! It does look like a carpet of variegated Yellow.
So Pretty!!! Yes, I read the first two in the Series also...so was glad to see a good price on book 3.
I probably won't get to this book for awhile but wanted to get it before the price went up. LOL
Your Furbabies are adorable. Oreo does look like an Oreo all right!!

Thanks for the Home-made Pizza! Calorie Free of coarse.

Bunny...happy for your oldest son having a new girlfriend. That always gives mama hope. I got a kick out
of youngest sons comments about The Dutch Soldiers. I am sure that even though your son is a tall drink
of water...he still has some kick-butt skills from boot camp. LOL

The Fibro Chronic Fatigue was my worst challenge until this week and then my pain levels ramped up with all
these crazy systems going through. Rain is so NOT MY Friend. Sometimes I think the fatigue is the worst
part of the Fibro. Just sleep as much as you can. We need that restorative sleep.

Sabrina...sorry that you have Fibro too. There are 4 or 5 gals on The Porch that have it too.

Well, Bible Study was a Spiritual Wrestling Match tonight. This study is intense...and makes Beth Moore's
Studies seem like cupcakes and frosting. LOL I love her Studies don't get me wrong...but this is a real
mental work-out. And my gals keep taking me down rabbit holes and getting me off track. For every question
that we answer together they have 10 more questions of their own. Whew...it is pumping up my Spiritual Muscles!

Tired...need bed...but must read first and give my brain a mini-vacation. More Later My Porchies.

Love and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2014 :  06:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Luckily I don't have many problems with my fibro anymore. I seem to have found the right combo of supplements to keep it under control most of the time. In the past I've felt better during pregnancies than when I'm not pregnant but this pregnancy has been harder. I think it is because I'm under increased stress in general.

I was going to tell Shannon more about what we do for school, we have tried so many things. We have tried boxed curriculum and classical curriculum and lots of different things. Most of them failed miserably. I don't "teach" my younger kids formally at all until they are about 7. We use Math-U-See and Life of Fred for math. My 9-year-old is LOVING Life of Fred (we just started it) and we are debating between continuing to use math-u-see as well or going just to Life of Fred. I used Explode the Code for phonics and liked it up until about book 5, now she is reading enough that she doesn't really need a phonics program. I use Classical Conversations handwriting books to teach cursive. I used start write program to make my own tracing sheets for print. We do the Classical Conversations memory work because my daughter was in it for 3 years and asked to continue. I also just started using Writeshop with her for language arts. Its not a full grammar program but it covers the basics so I can fill in later-not sure how that will go since we just started.

Other than that we have decided that for History, Science, art etc we are just going to use her American Heritage Girls badge work to structure unit studies around. Since we decided to do that we also signed up for Frontier Girls and Keepers of the Faith for additional ideas. There are a lot of overlap but lots of ideas and activities to draw form for any subject they want to learn. Plus the badges/pins help motivate them! I think it will work very well but ask me again in a few months. I am too scattered and busy to plan stuff completely on my own but we don't like being tied to a curriculum either so I'm hoping this gives us the perfect balance of structure, freedom and motivation. She will be doing young cultivator badges too of course :).

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page