Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  06:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi everybody. Seems like I haven't had time to sit for a while. The weather has been beautiful, but windy, here so I've been working outside every chance I get. Got the spring clean up fever. I'll just grab a rocking chair and crochet a while before starting ironing and cleaning the house.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  07:56:49 AM  Show Profile
I just got a package I've been waiting for! It's an older canner that will hold 16 quarts at one time! I have always wanted a co-op canner. This is the smallest of the co-op models but it's perfect for my family and the group canning we do from time to time. With this one and my smaller one I can do a whole crop harvest in one day when I'm workin alone. It will way cut down on work at the group canning sessions too. It's beautiful!

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  07:58:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I love spring vacation, but I am so bored! I have things to do, but it just gets a little boring sometimes. At least I have the forum!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:18:04 AM  Show Profile
There is nothing more inspiring than a new canner! I just purchased a 23 qt pressure canner. It's so shiny and beautiful I love to just look at it!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:22:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping that my wild plum trees bear a heavy crop as well as the various wild apples around here. I'm looking forward to learning canning!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:32:39 AM  Show Profile
I started with jelly. After about 8 dozen jars I got brave. I tried apple butter. My family is not big on really sweet things, so I adjusted the recipe a little. Then I started mixing things and trying new mixtures of high acid fruit. It worked out. Now I will try any jelly or jam recipe I can find. This will be my first year to try pressure canning for real. I have a group of family that I have 'canned' with, but I have always been assigned blanching or chopping. This year I have two pressure canners. I get to can!

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  11:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh Megan! How can you be bored?!?! I have so many things I need/want to do that I would love to have another spring break again! lol So enjoy it why you can because it goes by so fast!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  11:37:19 AM  Show Profile
I do appreciate the time to do whatever I want, Channah, it's just, I can't find anything to do!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  12:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh I see. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  5:23:41 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to get my garden out as well as help my sister do hers. She hasn't gardened in about 20 years and then she was only weeding and watering mom and dads. I am havin a hard time gettin mine done inbetween rain storms. I am begining to think I took on too much with both gardens. Thank goodness she only wants a tiny little patch this year. She's gettin nervous about it. She's called me three times today with questions. I can't help but laugh! She's the oldest and I finally get to tell her what to do after 30 years of waitin!

On a side note... Karrieanne, you have created a monster! I have gotten four phone calls today to inform me that a family member has a whole yard full of violets. They all want a jar for lettin me come pick them. My jelly really got something started around here! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  5:31:03 PM  Show Profile
a very warm hello to all you gals
and i do mean warm or should i say hot it hit 90 today and though i love the warm weather
i think mother nature just got mixed up and skip srping and went to the dog day summer..lol
not that i'm complaining its just last week heat in night maybe air conditioners on..ha ha
but boy are my plantes confused the peas are literally jumping out of the ground i had to water all the plants but i think rain is on the way friday but i made a huge pitcher of
ICED ginger peach tea, to hot bake today so its just fresh strawberries w/ whipped cream.

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  5:59:29 PM  Show Profile
(giggles at the Violets craze....) ...um don't blame moi.... eyes over to February Violet, pppstttt sheeeee started it! (gigggles)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  8:38:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm hiding on the porch tonight. My phone won't stop ringing! I now have requests for dandelion, rose petal, rosemary, and of course violet jellies. I don't even know how to make the first three! I found a dandelion recipe on farmgirl kitchen. Does anyone know where to find the other two? I'm gonna sit in this rocker and eat the easter candy my DH gave me. I love after holiday clearance! I got reeses eggs, dove chocolates, and robins eggs malt balls. Have at girls!

Go to Top of Page

wellswillow
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcie
Branchport New York
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  06:01:51 AM  Show Profile
It is nice to finally have a few minutes to myself to come sit and chat with you. We have been busy getting the gardens in shape. I'm ready to go get some mushroom soil to give the gardens a top dressing, but probably won't do it till we come back from visiting our son in Virginia Beach.
I am so enjoying seeing the spring flowers come into bloom. We planted a 6 foot flowering crab yesterday that the nurseryman says will bloom for us this year. It has beginning leaves right now.
Have a cuppa of your choice and a blueberry muffin. We have set a second batch of eggs in the incubator. The first batch we gave to some friends wanting to increase their flock.
Marcie

I enjoy chatting with my friends.

Sisterhood Member 1114
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  06:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

I haven't stopped by the porch for a while! I hope you saw me waving and I ran in and out of the house each day!!

Any yummy food today? Anyone want a slice of this carrot cake I just baked? It has lots of cream cheese frosting on it of course!! Yummy!

Nora had her 3rd birthday! Can you believe it? She is becoming such a big girl! I am so proud of her!! She is learning and growing so much! It's unbelievable!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  08:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Alee, it so exciting when kids start to grow and learn! My little cousin just turned four, and it seems like just yesterday I was visiting my aunt and uncle in the hospital when he was born! I hope all you have lovely Thursdays! I have to get my tooth fixed today, so hopefully I don't cry.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:49:15 PM  Show Profile
ok i'm going to sit on the porch because it is cold in michigan-maybe frost tonite. my poor little goats are not going to know what to do. i finished my baby washclothes for my girlfriends new baby-due in july-and i'm going to work on the baby quilt for another friend due in june. seems like everyone is having babies-glad it's not me i'm getting to old. hope you gals had a good day maybe see you tomorrow

whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  4:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh I need to sit down for a little bit and rest! I've been on the go since 6:00 this morning and haven't stoped till now. lol I brought some Orange spice tea with me if anyone would like a cup!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  7:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Wow ladies, new canners I am so jealous!! I love canning!!
I have been so busy , but every spare moment is spent with all of you great ladies on the porch.
Enjoy your time together.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  01:11:06 AM  Show Profile
I have been busy, busy, busy today! I have a stock pot sitting in the fridge with 8 batches of violets steeping for tomorrow nights canning session. Thank goodness my DH likes to help with the canning. He finds the whole proccess fascinating. So does my middle daughter. I think Mikey Jo is gonna be a farmers wife if she has to be the farmer too. She loves all things growing and she can't wait to raise her own food. At church last week her class was talking about animals and the teacher held up a picture of a deer. She asked the class what they thought of when they saw the pic. The usual cute, soft, and I want to pet it answers were given. When it was Mikey Jo's turn she replied "Yummy!" The whole class about fell over laughing! My DH just smiled and said "That's my girl". She is such a wild card and I love it.

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  03:33:22 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful to have such a well rounded girl. I have one DD that will help in the gaarden,can, butcher and so on. But has no clue how to care for babies or how to cook. Another DD is a girl!Want to shop and text or talk all the time, but can cook like nobody else and is great with kids! If only to combine the two!
My hubs will help with canning and the garden! I love it!
After yesterdays cold winter like weather I truly need a hot cup of coffee, some fresh baked bread and some great jam and ofcourse some companionship from all of you ladies.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  04:39:39 AM  Show Profile
Angie, My oldest DD is all girl as well. She is learning to cook, mostly from her younger sister. My 9 y/o is teaching my 15 y/o to cook. It all seems a little backward to me. I've got at least another 6 1/2 yrs till the youngest tries to claim her spot in the kitchen. It seems to be the busiest room in our house. It's kinda funny cause the living room has the big tv but we all hang out in the kitchen with the smallest tv in the house. I guess my little family has some strange habits but at least it's happy here.

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! I made some chocolate chip cookies last night, so dig in! Angela and Angie, it sounds like you two have very well rounded daughters. I love doing a bunch of that stuff, too!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  10:41:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you. I was pleasantly surprised today by my oldest daughter. Actually I was nearly knocked off my feet! She is very matierialistic and would be a habitual shopper if we let her. Her boyfriend commented that the stuff I had laid out for them wasn't exactly what they had talked about. She turned to him and said, "In this house we work with what we have. This is what we have so work with it." I was so proud! So now I am gonna sit here with some iced tea and enjoy my moment.

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Yum! Cookies! I made a tea brack yesterday, if anyone would like a slice.
Angela, let us know how the canning went with the violets. I so want to make some violet jelly. I had never heard of it before. I asked my mom if she had ever heard of it, she said 'Oh sure, your grandma use to make it all the time.' Where have I been? I have a wonderful patch of very fragrant violets, that next spring will find their way on to the pantry shelf in jelly form!
I think I will make a cup of tea and sit here on the porch a bit. May I have a cookie please?

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
http://www.glitterandgrunge.com/ (turner hill studio)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnerHillStudio/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page