Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2013 :  07:50:43 AM  Show Profile
Up again at 3am. went to the gym again. That's out of the way.
Now to explore how to get books on Amazon. I just finished reading one from Amazon which needed an editor so bad it wasn't even funny. Plot was ok characters not so bad but past and present tense all messed together. I felt so bad for the guy I sent him a private email rather than review the thing on Amazon. I mean I am not wonderful by any means but this needed a big scoupcon of help.
Hopefully I can get Amazon taken care of before SS money hits the account about 9am and I begin the online bill paying frenzy. I pay everything first. That way there is no temptation to fudge.
I put together another cover on the old kitchen table for the new book Death Wish. Got it onto Smashwords. Onward and upward!!! 4:30 am about a week ago.

New Cover

Blog http://cherimemacfarlane.wordpress.com
Cherime
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  1:56:22 PM  Show Profile
So I'm trying to figure out blogger.. I'd like to put buttons on it that sends people to my pinterest page and FB page but can't figure it out. Any ideas. I love the idea of showing my ideas like my craft wares and homeschool things that the kiddos are enjoying. I'm wanting to put other bloggers buttons on there too. I'm boggled. Well, I'm fixin' something with chicken tonight I guess I'd better go figure it out. Hope everyone is having a good day!!

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  2:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Good luck RoDonna, I'm having a difficult time just getting a wordpress blog functioning correctly. ;)

Cherime
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2013 :  2:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone,

It is awful about all this cancer talk and I will post anything I think might be helpful. If you want me to shut up I will but an informed person is a wise person.If we can help each other we should. These are a few things that might interest you:

A 20 yo girl got a very aggressive breast cancer. Any idea why? They associate it with putting her cell phone in her bra! so keep it oo your pockets also!

A 32 yo friend of my daughter has breast cancer and the tumors, 2 of them, were very large. The surgeon had her scheduled for a bilateral mastectomy. I said do you have an oncologist? No. Get one first because she may want to give you chemo first. you also need to know your tumor markers and genetics. She saw an oncologist and she sent her for genetic testing and started the chemo. She said absolutely no mastectomies. Now here is the kicker! Her geneticist told her, her cancer was not genetic but environmental. Mine was also. This is what she was told. Change your diet- eliminate red meat, Eat fresh veggies, eliminate STRESS as much as possible. He said it was a major factor in developing cancer.

Cans that are lined in white, avoid if you can. Sometimes you don't know until you open them.

Check where everything comes from. No china for me either.

Olive oil-check where it comes from. I prefer to have it fom Italy and Greece if I have to. Not Tunesia ETC! There was a show on Dr Oz that said they put motor oil in so the profit is higher. Dr Oz says put a little in the fridge and if it solidifies it's pure. If not it isn't.

I have been creeped out by meat too. Fish is even scarier. Dr Oz again-we are importing fish from polluted waters of China and Viet Nam. Haven't bought a bag of shrimp, fish since I saw those countries on the bag!

It's scary to think of what we are ingesting, Breathing in and rubbing on ourselves. Read, read, read those labels and post here if you know anything to help make us aware.

Now that I wrote so much I forgot who posted what!

Bunny,for you for selling those dresses! Talent girl!
Peggy, Hope you feel better by now. How many pages did you read?
Cherime, You are quite the author!

Have to run going for the 2 oldest GKs for the weekend. Amusement park tomorrow. Husband flinging out orders! As usual!

Be well and try to cut down on your stress levels!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  12:13:57 AM  Show Profile
Evening you Pretty Things....

Bunny...I am so happy for you that you are seeing your creations pay off. And very wise that you are doing bigger sizes besides just for skinny girls.
The average size of a woman in the USA is 14/16.
That was smart thinking to get one of those foam play mats for standing on.
I know I can't sit or stand too long. I have to frequently rotate to keep the leg muscles from killing me...and my feet. Like if we go to Barnes & Noble...I will get a coffee and sit for 20 minutes, then I tell DH I have to go walk around for awhile, then I come back and sit again...then I go walk again. That is one of the reasons I couldn't hold down a job if my life depended on it. Besides the Dr. for The STATE said that I could still work but I would have to take a 10 - 15 min. break every 30 minutes if I were to continue working. Seriously!!!???? I wouldn't even hire myself let alone expect someone else would hire me. I think that comment a lone pushed my disability through.

Cherime and Darlene...I absolutely agree with buying nothing for human or animal consumption from China. But i seriously try to buy nothing from there at all...but it is hard.

Usually if I can't sleep...I figure God wants me to do Night School for awhile...with Him.
If I still can't sleep I will read...then before I know it I am out again!

Another Beautiful Picture!!!

Hi RoDonna...it has been a little while since you've joined us. Nice to have you back on The Porch.

My Tomatoes didn't get very big this year but they sure are taisty! I love to eat them right when i pick them with a little salt...all sunwarmed and yummy!

I also have a hard time with widgets, buttons and links for my Blog. Drives me
crazy too.

Hi Lorena. Great Magazine huh???

Darlene...those are all great tips and goes right along with the things I have been reading too.
Why is it that most People diagnosed with Cancer go to an Oncologist after
their surgery??? That is what my mom did...both times. I don't get that.

Still feeling bad from the Fibro.

One of the Step-Grand daughters is coming tomorrow for 8 days. Looking forward to that. She is going into 9th grade but is just turning 13 next month. She seems more mature than that. She is a lot of fun.

I'm with you...I love Greek Olive Oil...it costs more but it the best...same with the Italian. I had NOT heard of the Motor Oil thing...that is just gross!!!

I love Dr. Oz and trust his advice!

Ok...as of today I am half way through my LOOONNNGGG Novel, but I have to share with you that I am actually reading two different Novels. I go back and forth each day...reading from both of them. LOL

Have FUN with your grands...Leave DH at the Amuzement Park. LOL I know I can say that to you...and you will laugh!

Gotta get to bed. So tired.

Lots of Hugs and Squishies,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

"Believe in yourself and let the glitter fly!" P.Smith Mail Art Hostess
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  07:32:15 AM  Show Profile
My next door neighbor takes his boat out often he brings me fresh caught Alaska fish. And the shrimp he gave me, excellent. The only good red meat is moose because you cannot farm moose up here they mainly eat willow and marsh grass. Good stuff. Since I can't get it most of the time I don't eat a lot of meat.
As for not buying Chinese, it is hard. They even sell honey these days not to mention all clothing seems to be made there or in the far east somewhere. Even the material to make clothing often comes from there. Best stop before my fertile mind starts seeing conspiracies everywhere. They just do not care who they poison, look what they did to their own kids. AH well!

Cherime
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  1:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Cherime, how I miss moose meat. Grew up on it. Also love elk, mountain sheep, buffalo..... my list is long and tasty!!! I've been rebelling against made in China for a long time. Inferior and even dangerous products. Just can't get away from them 100% no matter how hard you try.

Went house hunting yesterday. Exhausted. Found two possibilities but honestly with all the stuff that's blown up on me I just don't know any more. Maybe I should find a really nice big cardboard box and start decorating it!!! I'm being silly, I know. God's got it under control He's just been shutting, more like slamming the doors, and I'm hoping that maybe one of these will be the right one and the door will swing open!!! One of the houses is ADORABLE but only has one acre and close neighbors (I'm a private, give me my space gal). The other has over 5 acres but the house is small and needs a lot of work. I could be happy in either I think. Just waiting for God to swing the door open so I go through the right door.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories

Sister #4045
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  7:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Kim, nothing like fresh off the hoof game. If I can't talk someone out of moose this winter I may go ptarmigan hunting. Blessing on the house hunt.

Cherime
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2013 :  9:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Ladies of the Porch,

There you go Cherime your next book can be the Chinese conspiacy theory! LOL!

Peggy, We had a wonderful relaxing day at the park. The boys had so much fun and were so good. All was well with hubby until we got in the car. You're right, should have left him there! LOL! He can't seem to be nice for long. No self control with his mouth! The oncologist is the Doc that runs the show. They prescribe all treatment, tests, medications and follow you for 5 years. I am seen by my surgeon, oncologist and radiologist on a regular basis and they rotate it so I am seeing one of them once every month or two. I have all female Doc's and they are such a Blessing. As of this month I am 2 years clean as long as my mammogram is clean in Sept. When I get it they make you wait until the Radiologist reads it and if there is anything suspicious they start testing immediately. Any cancer patient that does not have an oncologist better get one!It could literally be the difference between life and death!

Kim, don't rush into anything. Your house will be waiting for you and you will know it is for you.

Tired so I'll check back tomorrow.

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Edited by - HealingTouch on Aug 16 2013 9:38:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  12:15:15 AM  Show Profile

Hi My Porchies...Oh, you are all correct...no matter how hard we try we can't totally get away from
"Made In China"...but there is a big difference between something you wear and something you or your
animals EAT and that is where I absolutely draw the limit. That is my LINE IN THE SAND!

Kimberly...don't get discouraged honey...you will find what God has in store for you and the kids.
I could see you starten' to paint that Cardboard Box really pretty though! LOL

Darlene...glad you had fun with those Grands! Love mine to death and even all the Step-Grans are Sweethearts.
I have Hallie (pronounced Holly) here now. She got in this morning and we went shopping, then to Barnes
and Noble, Then we came back and she went swimming in the Pool and I read in a lounge chair, then we took
Snickers for his Stroll tonight and we just enjoyed ourselves. She is such a smart and good girl. She turns
13 next month (I thought she was 14 or 15 already) because she is so mature for her age...and she is going
into ninth grade. Top of her class every year in The Christian School she attends.

Well, Grandma is pooped but had fun. Will get on here again tomorrow and until then...

SLEEP WELL MY LOVELIES,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2013 :  06:15:33 AM  Show Profile
Darlene might be a story there. You never know. ;)
Another successful road trip to Seward. Escaped the law and got where we were going on time. Got to spend quality time with DD and was able to make sure she ate on time. Win Win
Peggy, it is so nice when you have grand kids to enjoy.

Cherime
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2013 :  06:00:58 AM  Show Profile
Morning ladies. Thought I'd drop in before I leave for work this morning to say hello. Another busy week with training and the company picnic was Friday night. M*'s brother stopped Thursday night on his way back to Michigan and spent the night. We had an enjoyable evening. He doesn't cook so we made steak tacos and homemade guacamole for him for supper. He brought some beer from Utah that he'd gotten called Moose Drool so they drank some of that. I don't like beer so I didn't try it.

I managed to get to the farmer's market yesterday. I'm planning on doing some dill pickles and salsa when I get off work. Today is my 4 hour day so I'll have most of the afternoon and all evening to work on it. I also got some carrots that I want to put up - just not sure if I want to can them or freeze them. I'm going to get more cukes Wednesday and make some bread and butter pickles. Sweet corn is starting to show up so I may try my hand at canning that or freezing it this year.

Kimberly - I'm so sorry you're having problems finding another place. I've given serious consideration to rv living myself. It's amazing how many people are living out of rv's. I follow several blogs about living in rv's.

Cherime - I haven't tried elk yet but one of the local restaurants serves elk and buffalo steaks and burgers. I typically order the buffalo burgers when we go there. I may have to try one of the elk ones soon. M*'s brother mentioned eating elk steaks when he was in Utah and said it was awesome.

Well I need to go jump in the shower and get ready for another day of work. Hope everybody has an awesome Sunday.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
True Blue Farmgirl

516 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
516 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  07:00:36 AM  Show Profile
Good morning porchies!! Hope your weekend went wonderful! I spent yesterday cleaning out the corn..we took what ears was left on the stalks and we're letting them dry so we will have seeds for next year. I found nine, maybe ten cantaloupes growing. The other veggies have been harvested except for those and the green peppers. They're still growing and producing. I believe I'm going to have to go to a farm to get more cabbage though. I canned eight quarts. Four for me and four for my parents. Not enough! I love cabbage in the winter. We've already decided that we are definitely doing raised beds for the rest of the veggies next year. Those that were in beds did extremely better than those not. Good thing my uncle has a lot of old tires and we have some old wooden slats.

The kiddos have decided they want to do a unit study on farming. So I'm looking for things for them to learn and do. There are some farms around here that will let the kids come and tour their farms. We have a sheep farm not too far. They found an old Dutch one room school house, pulled it apart like legos and then put it back together on their farm. She sells their woolen wares in it and she demonstrates spinning wool.

Well soon we'll be headed off to the library. The kiddos favorite place besides the game farm. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
www.marykay.com/rcarson4
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  09:06:10 AM  Show Profile
Good morning sweet porchies,
It is my official last day of summer. Tomorrow the butterflies and I begin school. I will take pictures of my class and butterflies to share with yall. I cleaned my house this morning, yesterday we had our school golf tournament fundraiser which was a beautiful day, and we cleared out some dead trees this weekend and so our little home is continuing to become ours.

Cherime received your tea..thank you

Peggy we are beginning our new bible study tomorrow so I am excited about that. You and I are a lot like...I like my homework. Hope you are enjoying your granddaughter.

Judy where the heck are you. I am going to have to put on my Velcro flying wings and come get you missing your joy

Kim hang in there...God will provide and when you least expect it.

Bunny so glad to see you back and glad to see your beautiful work is selling. How is school? Are you back in it yet?

well time for me to skedaddle got some laundry calling my name
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~If Teacups Talked http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  12:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Porchies!
Just jumping on for a minute again. I have to check on what you all are up to. However, rarely do I have the energy to keep my eyes open long enough to add to the conversation.

Cherime, your poem made my day. It is just lovely and a little haunting. You are eloquent in expressing yourself. Thank you. Of course, I love that English Breakfast tea, and the tropical green tea will be relaxing too. Good choices for this gal!

TLT - Best wishes for a wonderful school year. "Onward and Upward!"

Bunny, I think you are so smart to make some larger sizes. I have always been a runt of the litter. So, I made items that would fit me..Well, a bell finally went on in the old brain..most women are not a itty bitty size..So, I crocheting larger items, etc.

Have a nice time on the porch, ladies. I'll just leave these zucchini, chocolate muffins for you.
Hugs, forgetmenot

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  6:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey all! Blueberries (Maine wild ones) are down this year. Finally got some haying weather. Tried the zucchini fries...AWESOME! Excited about id-ing wild elderberries. At least I'm 90% certain. I need to get a real good book. Id - ingabout id -ingalls

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  6:19:53 PM  Show Profile
Id -ing wild berries both edible and poisonous. Going to make choke cherry jelly.that. one I'm 100% certain of as well as wild raspberries and blackberries.

Have a good night all.

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2013 :  8:26:24 PM  Show Profile
ugg the gremlin struck me tonight! How frustrating to have everything I typed POOF and disappear. So, let me try this AGAIN!

Cherime - I received your teas today and I'm excited to see English Breakfast. I've been wanting to try that one but haven't wanted to buy an entire box and then discover I don't like it. Thank you!

Lorena - I so miss Maine wild blueberries. They have chokecherries here but I've never actually seen one. Guess I'll have to do a web search and find out what they look like. What do they taste like? Tart? Sweet? Sour?

I guess I wore myself out yesterday between working and canning. I was totally exhausted today. I planned to make chicken piccata but couldn't muster the energy to pound the breast out to make it so we ended up going out to eat. I did manage to get 12 - 1/2 pints of salsa and 4 pints of dill pickles done yesterday after work. Didn't get the carrots done though, maybe tomorrow. I also chopped up some green peppers into strips and froze them for future use. These peppers are HUGE that I got at the farmer's market. Hopefully I can pick up some more. I made Philly cheese steak stuffed peppers with some of them last night and that was tasty. Definitely will make that again.

The weather today was HOT. When we went to go out to eat the Jeep said it was 79' and that was about 7pm. Just took the dogs out though and there's a nice wind blowing and it's comfortable out. Sat outside while they sniffed around enjoying it. The whole week is supposed to be in the 90's (uggg). I did convince the man to shut the AC off for the night. I'm not big on sleeping in AC for some reason. I much prefer the windows open.

Okay, I'm off to bed. Everybody have a great evening and stay cool!

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Jamestown, ND
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  01:36:46 AM  Show Profile

Hi My Porchies...I won a Farmgirl Hen House Drawing last month and won my Official Farmgirl Necklace
with my Sisterhood number on it. I was so darn tickled when I got it Saturday in the Mail!! Just had
to show it off. I thought it looked rather Farmgirlish laying in my tomatoes I had just picked.

Speaking of my Tomatoes...I had two of the Heirlooms today and talk about the most fabulous flavor!!!
I planted some two years ago and all the growth went to the Plant and no tomatoes. This year...I kept
pruning them back and low and behold that is all they needed. They are so yummy...and I don't have 8ft
tall tomato plants this year.

BUNNY...I need to know that you are OK and not chased out of your home by the Fire. I can imagine that
the whole town is choking with smoke though! How is your sewing class going?

Cherime...got my tea today. Great flavor choices! And I loved your poem!!! Thanks so much for your beautiful wordsmithing.

You all are making me hungry for Berries!!! I would love a Huckleberry Pie right about now or a good
Blackberry Cobbler. yummo!

Judith...chocolate zucchini muffins...Oh, I love you girl!!! Hope you are feeling good! When I am hurting
I remember all my Farmsisters with fibro/chronic fatigue and pray for you all too.

Teacher Tammy...yes, we are really enjoying having Hallie with us. This week is going to go all too quickly.
She is such a good christian girl and such a truly sweet girl too. She is smart and witty and has quick come
backs. Loves to sing and it was beautiful to have her singing next to me in Church on Sunday. But she sings
all day every day. She has God's Music in her soul.

Well, can't wait to start hearing your Butterfly Stories. Praying they aren't as "testy" this year as last
year. Hoping you see a little maturity over the summer months.

Let me know how you like your new Bible Study.

JUDY...where are you girl??? We know you are being run ragged helping Mama...but come on...we miss your
humor something fierce girl.

I talked to my mom tonight...she had her first Canadian Radiation treatment today. We should know by the
end of this week how her body is going to handle it. All I know was she was "Feisty" tonight. Lord help
her Cancer Team is all I can say. She delights in giving every one a piece of her mind...even if they don't
want it. I tried to be compassionate and ask good questions tonight to show her that I was really interested
in what she went through with this new treatment...and all she could do was tell me how demanding and opinionated she was with everyone. Geesh!

OK...I am off to bed. Finished my 630 page book last night...and it was so good. I just loved it. So hope to
get back to the other book I am reading tonight.

Hugs and Loves,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  07:56:18 AM  Show Profile
Glad the tea and attachments are all getting to the right places. This mornings blog post.
I had planed to make a small batch of bread and butter pickles from the pickling cukes I got from the UPick farm. No dice. My cook stove is out of propane. Natural gas is up the hill about 2 acres in distance. It might as well be on the moon as they wanted $11.75 a foot to run it down here several years ago. Couldn't do it then and can't do it now. My next door neighbors are in the same boat. It's cheaper to use fuel oil as we can come up with the money for that not the initial advance costs for natural gas.

When I remodeled the kitchen, I put in an apartment size stove. Plumbed in the propane line and built a little covered shelf to hold two bar-b-que sized propane bottles outside. One goes to the other half of the house, the other is mine. As I have neighbors now I had to use a really long drill bit to get through the wall to install the copper line for the gas. When we first moved here years ago we could not afford a long drill bit. So my husband used his .357 pistol to shoot a hole through the wall for the line. Worked just fine for years until I move the kitchen to the other room. On the new stove I shut off the pilot lights to all but the oven. That saves fuel so the small bottle lasts me about two months. But drat if they don't always run out just when you are in the middle of something.

I wanted to make a nice potato salad which I plan on eating for a couple of days but no, down to the gas station for propane first. This is where Phooey comes in as I do not want to fool around in the rain with carrying the bottle over and hooking it up. But no nothing without so I guess I gotta or no potato salad. Those lovely fresh out of the ground potatoes are calling me. Again phooey.
Blessings all

Cherime
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  09:51:06 AM  Show Profile
WOO!! Jane stop this crazy thing! (Or, Mary Jane? teehee)

It's been insane the past few weeks... this past weekend, for certain.

On Wednesday, my husband got word that his Aunt Lou was found at home, no pulse, not breathing. She passed away a few minutes after they EMTs managed to get her going again, but there was no brain activity. It was so eerily similar to Daddy's passing 6 years ago. We made the emergency trip out to Lubbock on Friday, and Saturday had the funeral. It just broke my heart - Aunt Lou and Uncle Junior were the first of my in-laws to take me in, and they made me feel like family immediately. But, all things considered, it was good to be around the family and back in our second home. She was there with us, and even through the tears, there was SO much laughter!

I picked a good amount of pears off my tree last night, but not nearly as many as we had last year. Not sure if it's because we've had a hotter summer, less rain, or what happened, or if it's just because I haven't been picking them and let them mature this year. What I DID pick are ENORMOUS. Think I might have to make a pie!

For those who have wondered, I did not get the job I had been hoping and praying for. It devistated me the night I found out, and I started to lose my confidence, but I popped out of it the next day and started looking again. While we were packing up Sunday morning, my mother-in-law stopped and looked at me, and asked me if I had heard anything... I said that it fell through and she sighed and nodded, then she smiled and said "But, that just means the Lord has better plans for you" and walked out to help DH load the truck.

Lo-and-behold, yesterday afternoon/early evening, I got a phone call from one of the companies I flooded with an email and resume. He sounds excited and I have an interview Thursday morning. It's in a field I have never worked before, but I am a fast learner, and the more I learn about the company, the more excited I get. I'm going to try to not get my hopes up, but I am excited to at least get to the interview stage!! It's not in the Graphic Design field, but I think that I will keep doing that on the side for fun, and maybe the occasional dollar.

I'll keep y'all updated on what happens with that!

Hope everyone is doing well, and for those with things happening in their lives, I will be praying for the good to keep going, and the bad to turn around!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Thrall, TX

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  1:35:12 PM  Show Profile
Hello porchies,
the first day of school is in the book. It was a half day and so glad for that. Organizing 22 butterflies takes a bit of time. Here is a picture of my butterflies.

Tomorrow is a full day so should be interesting. I had a picture of Jax and my classroom before the butterflies came, but wouldn't up load so will try again tomorrow. Jax is being naughty since I am gone. He seems to think I am to stay home..imagine that.
well need to get ready for bible study.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~If Teacups Talked http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  3:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Need a like button for the butterflies.

Cherime
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  6:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Well here's something to make you laugh...my mother in law got her pool up I'm time to basically get it ready to be closed for fall. Long story short...she bought it 3 years ago, got it partially up last summer and completed it the last of July this year .. anyway ...got home from work. Got in my swim suit and went to her house to swim with. Ds. Dh was mowing hay about 10 mi away. I spent about an hour in the pool. Got out to get home and start supper. Mil was with me the entire time chatting with me and ds. She goes in. There was a message from ds. He was in a wet field and buried the Minneapolis moline. And needed me.to come help him get it.out. so I flew down dressed in a tee shirt, towel.wrapped around my waisted and.flip flops. Got to the field dh looked at me somewhat annoyed and asked why I wasn't dressed in something else. So I climbed aboard the other mm tractor and helped pull the stuck one out. Then sat there on the other tractor in case he got.stuck again. So there I sat on a tractor with a tee shirt, towel wet swim suit underneath and flip flops

Choke cherries are very small. With very little flesh and a large pit for it's size. It's tart. The pit does have traces of arsenic so don't eat it.

Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2013 :  6:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Chermime: thanks for the tea and poem. you DO have a way with words. always wanted to try english breakfast tea too.

thanks for sharing all the pics and stories. brings me lots of smiles.

we sold my Daewoo sport car this week. had that thing for 12 years. *my baby* now we have a v6 truck that will haul a pop up camper
we bought. it has rained so much, can't camp yet. average rainfall for NC is usually about 22 inches. we have a total of 52 inches...
so far....sigh... wish i could send some to those who need it!

hubby made a panjoli (cake pan banjo)it sounds so good!

prayers, love n hugs to all!

Thomas Edison: "Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page