Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  8:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Alyce - yay for Ric getting the job! That's exciting :).

Peggy - Snickers is so cute! Even though I'm not a "dog person", I still think some of them are so cute!

Judy - Thanks! It has been awhile....

RFM Tammy - Good luck getting the job! It sounds like it would work pretty good for you!

It has been lovely here today. This week was rather up & down in regards to weather, but we survived. I kind of wish I had done laundry tonight, but it will wait til tomorrow. Maybe if I get up early enough, I can do it & hang it up before church....

I ended up making 2 batches of cookies - both the molasses & the thimble cookies (blueberry & raspberry). Now I just have to remember to take them with me tomorrow morning!

I think I finished my friend's cookbook/recipes. Not quite sure. But I'm going to see if I have anything else to add to it. I saw some page protectors in the States today & didn't pick them up :( b/c I thought I had lots. Nope. Crazy how they only give you 10 in a package, yet the recipe cards, they give you 36. Why can't they make them the same #?? Oh well. I had to change some of the "categories"...to me, the meats/poultry/fish should just go in "mains", and then they should have holiday & cakes/muffins & pies/pastry/tarts. So I switched it. Not as pretty as what they had, but oh well. It's a little more organized. I may even make a "homemade" section for the cleaning stuff. Not that I have a lot of cleaning recipes - I only use about 3 or 4 recipes.

I finally picked up 3 boxes of baking soda (the large ones) in the States. Would you believe, that for some unknown reason, I cannot find large boxes anywhere up here? And our small ones (500g/0.5kg) are $1.79 for cheapy store brand, $1.99 for Arm & Hammer. The large box (1.81 kg) of Arm & Hammer was $2.34. What a rip-off. Same with the 4L of vinegar. Up here, I think last time, I paid $5 for cheapy store brand. I got a 4L down there for $2.38. And yet the government wonders why so many people go "south" for shopping. Maybe if there was a better variety/sizes & comparable prices, it might be worth it to stay up north. Same with some other stuff. I picked up some Walmart "rogaine" for $10 (for one month), off the shelf. Up here, I need a prescription & last time I bought it, it was $120 for ~3 months. Oh! I also found water dis-solvable labels for jars & such! I was quite excited, since the ones I did use stick to everything really bad. And I found a "squisher-thinger" aka dough scraper for $1 lol.

Well, I think I better go to bed now. I hope I can sleep in somewhat tomorrow. At least until 7. Today I was up at 5:30 & got up out of bed at 6:10 (on a good note, I found a new band that I quite like -
The Nylons). So I swept & scrubbed my kitchen floor, did dishes, and mixed up the 2 batches of dough for the cookies. Went for a shower & went out the door lol. Let's hope I can sleep tonight!

Happy Mother's Day everyone! Hope you have a great day!

Oh, a little "funny" I saw today: The most important vitamin for a Christian is B1. Made me smile. And my "fortune" was "faith is a law". Interesting....

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  9:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Just a quick note tonight, it is after midnight and need to get up early, my son is taking us out for breakfast in the morning. I was outside most of the day again today, got the rest of my herbs planted, so now all I have left to plant is tomatoes and green peppers, which I cannot plant for about 3 weeks yet here. By that time, my other seeds should all be coming up.
I will get the picture on here tomorrow of the swap from Ruthie Ann. I just love it!!!
Have a great evening, and a Happy Mothers Day!!!!

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  11:41:26 AM  Show Profile
Happy Mother's Day Gals!
Hey Pam, try a feed mill or water softner store. I got a 40# bag at our local feed mill for $10.00. That reminds me, I need some more. Used the last of it to make more laundry soap. I get my washing soda/soda ash at the local water softner store where we buy our softner salt....and it lasts&lasts&.......lol
We are cool/breezy/gray/damp-ish today/63. Good for writing letters,reading and watching movies. The birdies are being so verbal again today. Love watching them at the feeders, especially the colorful ones...grossbeak,rose finches,yellow finches,cardinals&bluejays!
Happy Mother's Day ...again! Enjoy YOUR day! My kitty gave me a card&candy! Ain't he just the purrrr-fect son!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  12:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
Happy Mother's Day sisters!

My poor sissy had a hard time posting her pic and asked me for help, so here's her pic and comment ..*crosses fingers*

You can see how big the cups are next to the pasta machine. Now THAT’S a
cuppa tea...or chai! Yum! hahaha
They’re like DH coffee cup I got him from Gilmore Girls.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)

Edited by - craftbug on May 13 2012 2:05:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  1:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sissy, I have no idea why I can't post pics right now. Weird! Next time...you watch...no problem.lol

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Lady B
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Cindy
Harvey NB
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  4:59:33 PM  Show Profile
May I join? I can take some pointers on the socks I'm knitting. :)
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  6:12:53 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Cindy! Of course you can join us. I'm working on some socks myself, it's my 5th pair.

Hope everybody had a good Mother's Day. My oldest son called today. Apparently my gift won't arrive until tomorrow so I'm going to assume it's flowers. It started out rainy but turned into a beautiful sunny day.

I got a call from my friend and she said she talked to her friend and they're planning on me starting training on Tuesday! I'm excited. It will be so nice. I'll be by myself to work at my pace. I'll have to get some ear buds to use with my phone so I can listen to music or whatever. It was a wonderful present to get the call today. She said her friend would be calling me tomorrow to finalize everything. It will help so much financially.

I went to the knit together yesterday and finished the hat!!!! Finally. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow and post it. It got a lot of ewwws at the knit together lol. I've been working on the man's socks since I got the hat completed. Got the heel put in last night and the gusset to discover I had to pull it all back out because I'd dropped 2 stitches - so everything I did last night had to be pulled out and redone today. Always depressing but I'm a little OCD in that way even though I could have probably woven some yarn into the gap to fill it in. I also got the Montana cleaned out today so it's ready to list for sale. My son may use it while he's home.

Well it's time for me to start winding down and get ready to get some sleep. I've been yawning all day.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1414 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1414 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  8:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Well got up early took Little One to the dog park. Enjoyed the birds singing and the sun rise. Went home to my favorite carry out breakfast . Along with a wide varity of gifts. How sweet was that. I worked on lesson plans for the day care. Took alittle nap. After my nap we made a later afternoon meal. I also dyed cotton ballls for a craft project I included in this weeks lesson plan.
Then my day took a turn for the worse as I know it would when we finally stopped at my mother's. Of course nothing nice to say to my family just stuck up for the drunk. My brother. Well we waited for him to leave before we went over there. Didn't wait to deal with the drama. She asked why we came so late . I responsed we just didn't want any drama mom. Her response was you always start the drama. Story of my life with her told me when I was 12 I was old enough to take care of myself that she had to take of my brother now. That's what she's done ever since.
After my trip to mother's came home and played games with Katy and Dean. We had alot of fun . We just laughed and laughed. What a nice way to end the day.
Happy Mother's Day!!!
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  11:46:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies...Hope everyone had a lovely Mothers Day!!! Mine was so nice. My youngest son went out of his way to make my day Special. First off he and Sadie picked me up and took me to the Portland Saturday/Sunday Market. Which I hadn't been to in years. I found a pretty little silver flower ring I liked so my son bought it for me. Then after all the fun down there he asked me if I wanted to cash in my Prime Rib Dinner that he had promised me after I got my Dentures. I said, "Absolutely"...so we called DH to join us and we all went out for an early Mother's Day Dinner. Must admit that mine looked better than theirs and it certainly was well worth all my anticipation. I brought half of it home and will have it for lunch tomorrow. Other two sons called. One will drop by tomorrow with a card and gift (he was a bit put-out that youngest son hadn't invited him to join us for dinner.) Brothers! They get along better as adults most of the time but not always! :+)
Then oldest son said his gift was coming next week. I like stretching out any Celebration for all it's worth. Hubby gave me enough money yesterday to order the rest of my yarn for my afghan. So, I feel thoroughly spoiled. My oldest step-daughter called tonight also to wish my a happy Mom's Day and I didn't hear from the other two step-kids but their lives are kind of stressful at the moment. So, that might not have been such a bad thing.

Judy...I have trouble sometimes posting pictures too. It is so infuriating. I have been trying to post some YoYo's on our swap and like you, neither day would they post. Crazy how that happens sometimes.
But thanks Patsy for posting her picture for us.
That is such a cute little Pasta Machine.
Smaller than the ones I've seen before. Does it make tiny pasta? lol

RFM Tammy...that is neat that you are getting that other cleaning job! I am sure the extra $ will come in handy.
The liquid iron would probably be a lot better than taking the tablets. Absorbtion would be quicker and better.
Your yarn and spindle picture is cool. Hope you are enjoying that. Looks like fun to me.

Thanks Alyce...I love Snickers...he has so much personality.
I don't know if you have ever been around Scotties but they are the most unique dogs. They have so much charm. Last week we took him for a car ride...which he loves...and of coarse he had to have his body half way out the window. A guy pulled up next to us at a stop light and he said...I have had four different Scotties and I would never have any other breed. I have to say...I'm in full agreement with him.

Hey Pam...did you make enough cookies to leave us some on The Porch. LOL I love Molasses cookies.
I am not sure why Canadian prices are so much higher on somethings than our State prices are.
I remember when I was working at the Christian Book Stores, we sold CDs for $9.99-12.99 and you guys sold them for 23.99.

Jan ...hoped you had a nice Mother's Day Breakfast with your son.

Judy...you have a nice kitty...if he gave you a card and candy!
I wish we had cardinals in our part of the Country. Maybe that is why I like pictures of them and figurines of them because we don't have them.

WELCOME CINDY...
We always love getting a new farmgirl on The Porch. Pull up a rocker and sit a spell.
I knit...but not socks.
Takes too small of needles for my arthritic hands. But I have a friend who knits gorgeous socks.
I love all the pretty sock yarns that are out there. And once in awhile I pick her up some....because she does so much stuff for me.

Ruthie...darlen, your mom sounds like my mom. My mother liked my brother better than us twos girls. I think they were quite a bit alike in their interests. My brother tied of cancer 3 yrs ago...and he always bought mom the sentimental (mushy) Mother's Day Cards.
My sister and I always buy the least sentimental card on the rack. The two-liner ones. We joke that she must really miss Bill. I did call my mom today...she lives in Spokane.
She said that she had gone to see my sister today. My sis is 3 1/2 yrs younger than me but she is close to death too. She has thyroid cancer, lung disease, fibro, and rhumatoid arthritis.
We thought she would pass a couple months after my brother...but for what ever reason God has kept her alive. She weighs in the low 70's and is bent in half worse than someone in their 80's. She has not been out of her house in 3 yrs nor out of her bed in 2 yrs. It is sooooo sad!

I have wondered how my dog would do at a dog park. Is your dog park an off leash park? Scotties have a tendency to run...and keep going...if they get off a leash. He is just over one and we never took him to obedience school...so I worry about that.
He loves other dogs and children...so, I think he would love going to a dog park.

Ok girls...I am leaving you all some Choc/Carmel Ice Cream Cake on the Porch tonight. Come get it before it melts.

Well, off to go curl up in bed and read. The house hasn't cooled down much tonight. We were in the high 80's today...it was so nice. But I didn't leave the air-conditioner 0n while I was gone, which I should have.

Sweet Dreams,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on May 13 2012 11:53:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  05:37:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bunny- hope you're feeling better. Glad your teacher got straightened out. I think you'll like volunteering with the animals.

Netty- great idea with the carrots. I remember reading that somewhere, too. I'm thinking it was in a Mother Earth News or Grit magazine. Do you can? If I had that many cherry tomatoes I would can them. How is ole Nebraska?

Debbie- that's so nice of you to take those kids in and help the mom. My DH stayed with a family in Georgia for a whole year when he was little while his mom did whatever she was doing. The family took him to a gospel Baptist church every week and he has always loved gospel music to this day. I would help someone out if they needed it, also. You're a real blessing.

Miranda- Hello! Wow, did we get some weather last week. And I hear there's more rain to come in the next few days. One day we got 3 inches. For awhile the front yard was a pretty lake. It sure does feel wonderful outside again. More like spring. I was worried when we were already hitting 90's in April. Glad you found your friend.

Judy- I'm so glad you liked the video. They are a joy to watch and so funny. They are still so wobbly when they walk. They look like they are drunk. It won't be long before they are being naughty and getting into everything, though. And they all sound like squeaky toys when momma cat comes around. I do love pushing that mower for a few minutes every day. The grass looks so nice and natural, no mower lines in the grass. Except for the durn dog running up and biting the wheel and barking at it...he has a screw, nut, and bolt loose.
Pam- Congrats on the new niece. I have worked with an online cookbook called Tastebook. There's several others online. You just collect your recipes and then make a cover for your book and then they put it together and send it to you. It's expandable so you can add things later. It also lets you add pictures and stories about different recipes.

Alyce- Ouch! I'm such a crybaby if anything hits me in the face. I could never be a boxer. Anywhere else and I'm fine, but the face, I'm out for the count. Good news about Ric's job. Too funny about your oral surgeon.

Tammy- Nice spinning! Now did you mean you got a lot of "oohs and ahs" over your hat or did you mean a lot of "ewws"? heehee. Can't wait to see a pic. Are you sure you're supposed to have that much iron? I'm asking because my DH and DD both have a condition where they have low iron but are not supposed to take additional iron as it would be harmful. We always have to make sure we tell the docs about it so they wouldn't want to treat them wrong. DD also has low hemoglobin as part of it, too. It's called betathalycemia minor. Some sort of Mediterranean genetic thing.

Cherime- Hi! Is it finally spring up there? We are almost into summer now, ha ha.

Peggy- your Snickers is a cute little man. We have a dog park here with separate areas. There's one for very social dogs that like to play and run. The other section is for small dogs and some that need to stay on their leash. Usually that's for the new dogs until they get the hang of things.

Well, ladies, I'm off to get the house in order. It's going to be an interesting and challenging week here. I'll tell you about it on Friday. I think I'll be sewing a lot since I got all the nice patterns at Hobby Lobby. I have an apron cut and will start putting it together today. I really would like to be a better sewer, so I'm working on a lot of easy patterns. Nice weather here today.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  08:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. Sounds like Mothers day went pretty well for everyone. Unfortunately I spent the day in bed with a terrible headache. I was suppose to do homework with a friend in the morning but just couldn't. Both my boys called me so that was nice. The missionary boys from my mom's church insisted on cooking us dinner. They did a great job. They are both nice boys. They were excited to leave though. They are only allowed to call home twice a year and Mother's day is one of those times. They couldn't wait to call their moms. They get to Skype them so they get to see them too. It is sad the church is so strict.
Anyway. I have to play catch up this week for all my homework missed. I can't wait for summer. I need a break. Each class has a minimum of about 5 hours a week of homework.

Say a prayer for my friend Heather. She is having a kidney transplant tomorrow. I'm so happy for her and hope it all goes great. She is a special person.

Farmgirl number 3738

My blog: www.bunnyrose.com
My shop: www.bunnyroseco.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  08:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Morning all. Sounds like Mothers day went pretty well for everyone. Unfortunately I spent the day in bed with a terrible headache. I was suppose to do homework with a friend in the morning but just couldn't. Both my boys called me so that was nice. The missionary boys from my mom's church insisted on cooking us dinner. They did a great job. They are both nice boys. They were excited to leave though. They are only allowed to call home twice a year and Mother's day is one of those times. They couldn't wait to call their moms. They get to Skype them so they get to see them too. It is sad the church is so strict.
Anyway. I have to play catch up this week for all my homework missed. I can't wait for summer. I need a break. Each class has a minimum of about 5 hours a week of homework.

Say a prayer for my friend Heather. She is having a kidney transplant tomorrow. I'm so happy for her and hope it all goes great. She is a special person.

Farmgirl number 3738

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  08:16:25 AM  Show Profile
Sorry for the repeat again. My iPad acts like nothing is happening so I refresh and ....end up doubling up.

Farmgirl number 3738

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  08:57:08 AM  Show Profile
This is a picture of the wood basket hanging that I recieved form Ruthie Ann is the 500 page porch swap. I just love it so much. Again Ruthie, thank you so much. I wish I would have sent you more now than I did.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  09:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi All
Debbie it sounds like you will be very busy. I remember those days when the house was full of children. I miss it sometimes.

Judy way to score on the pasta machine. i make homemade egg noodles. My family loves those.

Pam I have often wished for a dish fairy. LOL Let me know if you find one.

Peggy I never made it to Moonstruck Chocolate. I tried but there just was not a lot of time. We let our DD take the car so her BF could see the ocean and walk on the beach. He has never seen the ocean. We thought we were this close it would be a shame not to let them go. We did stop at Multnomah Falls on the way home. We hicked all the way to the top. Took this old lady a while, but it was fun.

Tammy Love the spindle yarn. I was told that if I could learn to control the drafting with a spindle that it would help when I went to learn on the wheel. I am working with the spindle and getting better. It is hard when you don't have a lot of time. I worked with mune while my DH drove to Portland. It was a little slow in the car but it kept me busy.

Alyce Hope you are all better soon.

Peggy i forgot to tell you how cute Snickers is. He is adorable. I am glad my DD did not see him she would want one. LOL

Bunny what a rotten way to start Mother's Day. I am glad you feel better. I will keep Heather in my prayers.

RuthAnn and Janet that is a lovley wall haning.

I had a busy weekend but a fun one I will try and post a pick of my younest DD and our Alpaca Amareta.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  09:30:52 AM  Show Profile
This is after the show in Portland OR. the whit ribbon is a 3rd place out of eight from the Pasco WA show. The green is a 6th place out of 10 from the Portland show. She is not perfect but she is cute. The Alpaca I mean My DD is cute and of course I think she is perfect. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Valkyrie922
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Sarah
Philippi West Virginia
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  10:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Ladies. I keep thinking I'm going to get a chance to catch up with you, but I've been sick with a miserable flu for more than 2 weeks. I had mono when I was in high school, but I've never been sick Like This for so long - coughing, wheezing, fevers, headaches, dizziness. I keep saying "My brain is clogged," because I can't concentrate on anything for very long.

I finally did go to the doctor on Friday & got an antibiotic, but I feel worse now! Looks like I will be going back in the next couple days.

I have tried to keep up with everyone, but I haven't been doing a very good job. You are all in my thoughts.

Judy -- I'm so sorry I don't have the my usual exuberant energy but I wanted you to know that I, and my kids!, loved the package you sent. My son asked me if he could have just about everything in there! Some of those teas have come in handy since I've been flooey, and the chocolate covered coffee beans were just what I wanted -- although I do find it hard to believe that you just had them lying around waiting for me to mention my craving!

elysiumeveryday.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  12:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, had a good weekend and it's spring here, NO SNOW! As far as were are concerned that's spring. Pretty much took the weekend off just moved the rhubarb for my house mate. She was concerned that the plant took up the entire postage stamp back yard on her end. Not wanting her to feel bad I did not tell her that the plant will probably regrow from the roots that we did not get in about 2 years.
My vegie starts are looking good. Also went to the small nursery down the road, he is only open on weekends and by appointment and got a couple of tomato plants. He is keeping one for me until next weekend then I will pick it up and hopefully be able to put it outside. There are very few varieties of tomato that grow outside here in South Central AK. as we are cooler in the summer than Fairbanks. So I am looking forward to trying this one out.
Blessings all.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  12:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy,Welcome to the porch. We have a good time here. We share our joys,pains,tears and future hopes&dreams.Pull up a floor-slat and jopin us. *hands you a cuppa&cookie* You won't find a more caring bunch-o-gals!...and of course all desserts&beverages are calorie on the Virtual Porch! *giggle*
Peg,glad that you finally got to chew on some really great chow. How are those new choppers workin for ya anyhow? heehee
NO, the pasta machice isn't THAT small...the cups are THAT BIG!!hahaha
WHAT!!! how sad that you don't have cardinals. We have been cracking up at the new youngsters at the feeder. Their heads are bald and bluish with maybe 2 sprigs on them.
Really comical!
Julie, I had to lol when you talked about getting hit in the face with anything. When I was out trimming my pine tree Saturday,so that I could walk under them,(now they look like palm trees)I was lopping away the dead pitiful-looking branches and mumbling. I'd say, "Take That" and lop it off and grin.Then all of a sudden,out of nowhere,this branch slapped me in the face and I heard(in the back of my,always whirling mind)"Take THAT! *harharhar*"...if a tree could talk that is! lol I was never so shocked! It really slapped me! I won in the end however. Now who's lol?
awwwww, poor Bunny! *gentle hug* Hope it's all better now!
Praying for Heather!
Janet, love the hanging birdies. Very nice!
I'm going to see if I can show my Swap Package...if it will let me post a pic. If not...Paaaaatsyyyyy! hahaha I'm a typical "paininthebuttlittlesister!" hahaha

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  1:36:34 PM  Show Profile
Afternoon Girls...
I just got the dishes done from breakfast and lunch. Still need to sweep the floors. I got out this morning first thing and got the back yard mowed (so much easier to mow this week than last but tonight will tell if it kills my muscles again) and swept off the Porch.

Bunny...so sorry honey that you had to be in bed with a terrible headhache. Was it a fibro headache? Did you get real hot weather yesterday? Suppose to be another great day today. I sure feel better in the sunshine!!!
That was nice that the missionary boys fixed dinner for you.
I have always thought they were way too strict about not allowing those kids contact with their parents while they were on their 2 yr. mission. My son had a friend who was LDS...so, I learned alot from them about their religious customs.
I will be praying for Heather. Hope everything goes well.

Lynette...I have never heard of "Grit" Magazine before. We get Mother Earth News (I have been reading that since the 70's).
I will have to check next time I go to Barnes and Noble and see if they carry it.
Have you tried freezing your green beans? Once I found how easy they were to freeze...I quit canning them years ago. You need to cook them longer than canned but oh they taste so much fresher. I will often put them in the Crock Pot with onions and New potatoes and a squirt of Etra Virgin Ollive Oil, Mrs. Dash Table blend and let them simmer on low all day. OK, now I'm making myself hungry! LOL

Janet...that is the most adorable welcome sign I have every seen. How Sweet!!! Ruthie Ann did you paint that?

Dianne...that is so neat that you hiked up to the top of the falls. I bet it was a great day to do that.
Also, awesome that DD's BF got to experience the coast for the first time ever. Did they go to The Oregon Beaches or the Washington Beaches? Oregon's is so much better.
If you really want to try Moonstruck Chocolates you can always order them on-line. *Smile*
Both DD and the Alpaca are cute!

Alyce...how did I miss that you are a boxer??? I knew you mentioned your face hurting...but somehow I didn't get the connect.
I can endure a lot of pain...but I am not in to Sports that cause that pain. Hope you heal quickly!

Sarah...so sorry to hear that you got that nasty flu. My sister has it too and she leaking out of both ends of her body! She said she has had it for 2 weeks also and with all her other health issues...I am surprised it didn't take her life.

Love all the fun things Judy sent you! She may not be crafty but she knows how to send out FUN pkgs.

Cherime...glad winter is finally over for you. Hope your new variety of tomatoe plants work well for you.
I have been thinking maybe I will stick in a few tomatoe plants (then we will move for sure). LOL
I got a really good recipe for rhubarb from my friend Judy up in Canada.
If you would like it I will share.

Judy...looks like big sis is going to have to picture rescue you again. LOL
My choppers are still kind of a pain to get use to. I keep biting my tongue all the time. One of these days I am just going to think it is meat and bite it off. I bet I bit my tongue 4 or 5 times yesterday. And already once today. Other than that...I am getting use to them. They still don't feel like a natural part of me...but food is at least tasting better than it did at the start. Thanks for asking.
Those baby cardinals sound so cute and funny looking at the same time. Like little old men!

Well, I am off to sweep the floor and then take a little nap.
Have a Beautiful Day Girls....toodles!
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  2:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Wha...? Must have been the pain talking PeggyAnn. I am no boxer; sorry for the confusion! I was lifting a case of body wash when it slipped and hit me in the mouth--hence the need for surgery!

I only WISH my story was as exciting as a boxing match!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  2:27:48 PM  Show Profile

Pics of the celtic aran earflap hat I finished. It's beautiful if I may say so lol.

I got the job! I start tomorrow. Got a call today from a fitness center I applied for a desk position at over a month ago wanting to know if I'd still like an interview. Thought about it for about 3 seconds and think the cleaning job fits me better so I said no thank you.

Ruth Ann - Big cyber hug for you girlfriend. Totally understand what you grew up with and put up with now as I also went through a similiar upbringing. Had to start working when I was 10 sweeping floors at the daycare we went to so I could earn money for my school clothes because she needed her money to pay for my brother and sister. Both are selfish beyond belief. I wouldn't want their karma for anything.

PeggyAnn - I can't believe you've never heard of Grit magazine. I love it! It's one of my favorites. It's funny about the guy that pulled over and said he'd never have another breed of dogs. I love the terrier personality. The man doesn't like Oreo or terriers for some weird reason. I love their cute little wire haired faces. It will be a tough choice when my 3 pass to decide if I want another terrior (probably a mini-schnauzer) or another herding breed (possibly a sheltie or a corgi). I adore being able to do so much with my border collies but know I'll never be able to keep up with another one energy-wise.

Julie - It was supposed to be oohs and ahhs lol I shouldn't post that late at night. Regarding iron - my doctor has suggested that I take iron supplements when I'm on my cycle due to my excessively heavy during my cycle. I'm going to get a bit graphic here and I apologize but it's the best way to explain. For example I put an overnight pad on before leaving the house last last weekend to go shopping. I was gone less then 2 hours and bled out of the pad and soaked my clothes by the time I got home. I also pass huge blood clots when I bleed like this. I feel like my energy is draining from me drop by drop (I can feel myself dripping blood). My doctor is aware of this. I also have fibroids which contribute to the problem. My only option at this point a hysterectomy which I don't want since I'm only 46. Most months I up my consumption of iron containing foods but when I bleed this heavy the iron supplement is really needed for the heavier months. I'm perimenopausal so I also have months were I do nothing but spot for a couple days too so the light is visible at the end of the tunnel :O) Just don't want to get there too soon.

Bunny - Got your package today. It's awesome!!! I'll post pics tomorrow if I can. How's your headache? Any better?

Lynette - I can't imagine having sheep and not eating them. The local fiber festival we go to twice a year always has lamb available. They also have it prepared different ways to purchase for lunch like grilled with veggies on pita pockets. I wish I had some sheep (so do my border collies lol). Since I don't, I got my roving through the yarn store. I plan to get some more locally at fiber festivals or order online.

Dianne - I find I have a lot better control of my draft with a spindle. I'll be curious how it carries over to the wheel when I try it again. I'm able to get my thread so much thinner. The alpaca is beautiful. Do you spin their yarn? I love working with baby alpaca yarn. How many do you have?

Well the man is home and I need to show off the Sherri's Berries my son sent for my Mother's Day present that didn't arrive until today. Beautiful and delish :O) I also need to decide what to fix for supper - I have chicken breast thawed so that's a start lol

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  3:01:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Porchies!!!

Sorry I've been gone so long. I decided to get a real grip on everything. My house is now clean and organized. I hauled out 9 bags of trash and things to donate. I only have the basement to finish up when I get the shelves and stuff here. I have 3 months of menus made up and have followed the current one for 2 weeks successfully. I am in the process of finishin up the budget. I'm waitin for another weeks worth of reciepts. I do have several things figured out though. I have put together lists of our hygene and other nonfood neccesities. I seen that the kids were gettin far too expensive things simply because they 'wanted' that brand. I put a stop to that! I also found several places where money was bein spent needlessly. I put a stop to that as well!

I now feel more at ease in the house and like I'll have a solid grip on things very soon.

I was like 7 pages behind, so I can't possibly catch up in any one day. I decided to skip it and just jump back in. I am always amazed at how chatty we all are.

I am gonna get a pic of my 4x4 bed and post it. Everything is growin so well out there. I lost all of the tomato plants I bought, but all of the ones I started are growin nicely. I have everything set up to get my community garden plot goin. I will have it planted by this weekend. I am gettin a load of dirt this weekend to get my potato box filled and I'll be usin it to cover the taters in the comgar plot too. I should be eatin salad from my own garden by next week! The arugula and the leaf lettuce is almost ready to start harvestin!

Well, I'm off to get dinner started! It's breakfast tonight! Eggs, bacon, hashbrowns. Yea!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  3:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
ok ok "paininthebuttsister", just for you ...LOL EVEN my puter knew which folder to open, went right to JUDY..ROFL

There’s a homemade Owl Calender...soooo cute and Gorgeous wire&stone Leaf Wall-Hangers,
Cream Cheese Veggie-Mix for bagels,6 Yummy TeaBags I can’t wait to try,4 pks. Flower Seeds,2 pks. Veggie Seeds,
3 pks. Herb Seeds and,of course, a pretty floral card to complete it all!
Thank you Sarah!
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  5:55:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello my porchies,
I brought brownies and strawberry tea. I believe it came from you Peggy. I have gotten so many loose teas lately I can't keep track. Hahahha!

ONly a day and half of school left with the little butterflies. Today we went to the park and had a picnic and played all afternoon. it was such a beautiful day here in Nebraska I couldn't keep them inside. Needless to say I am sure I will sleep well tonight. I will miss my little ones, but ready to have some time off. I am going to do some tutoring in the summer later on. But with school about done and classroom packed up, I can read, crochet, and get into who knows what kind of trouble..hahaha

Bunny I sure hope your headache is better.

Welcome Cindy to the porch We always have room for another sister. But I must warn you if you are MIA for too long Peggy will send out the porch patrol to get your porch butt back here. I do know about these things being I have flown the coop on occassion. So you know you are going to be loved here.

Angela you are one busy gal. I don't know how you do it all.

Patsy loved your picture. cute things

well ladies I have to finish my crochet rows up for my lesson tomorrow and do my bible study lesson as well.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~Teacup Lane http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page