Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  12:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Good Evening My Porchies....

Yes, we got snow but just a couple of inches. It was pretty and the dogs and I had fun running around in it. But now the rain is taking it all away. Kind of how I like it actually. Snickers our Scotty was so cute in the snow. His first time as he just turned one this month. He would use his nose like a snow-plow and make a snow ball and then he would pounce on it and bite into it. So cute. He also got away from my hubby this morning and ran off and had a little site- seeing adventure on his own. If you are familiar with Scotties at all, then you know they are runners if they get loose. We had to get in the car and pre-tend we were going somewhere and when my DH opened the door then Snickers jumped in. You couldn't be mad at him...because He was just so happy to run free for awhile.

Bunny & Megan & Ruthie...My Fibro has been kicking my backside with all this crazy weather...and I have had a number of pajama days. Today I was suppose to have a tooth extracted but they closed the Dental Office due to the snow. Which Cracked me up. I grew up in Montana and Spokane and we had SNOW there. People from there would laugh at how a little snow shuts down Western Washington and Oregon. It still makes me laugh and I have lived her 26 yrs. now.

Ruthie...I hope you get a handle on that pain. How many times a day do you take that herbal remedy you bought?

Bunny...Glad you got a pajama day too girl. I am sure you got more snow in the Gorge than we did here. Bunny hope you opted for sewing over homework. LOL

Angela...don't you just love The Kindle Fire? I got one from my youngest son for Christmas. It is amazing! My favorite Christmas Gift by far. ~ I continue to keep you all in my prayers.

Dana girl...it is so good to have you back on the Porch today. Man we miss you. How are your little girls doing? Are you still working?
I suppose I need to resend my address to you...since I used your old email address today. I will do it once I am done here. I also had sent you Pam's (kittykill) and Darlene's. I will resend those too.

Leslea...WELCOME TO THE PORCH! we are happy to have you join us. Everyone is great on here and we just share everyday life together.

Megan...hey, I am glad you finally got some snow too. Did you go sledding??? Sounds like you had a good weekend. Glad to hear that the boyfriend is still on the scene. I will send you my address to and b-date.

Julie...how is the little one doing? My middle son, did the same thing when he was five. But he broke his arm and we had to be in the Hospital for 28 days. He was in traction that whole time. It was a nasty break just above the elbow...the bone broke through the skin. We had to do a lot of physical therapy at home once he was out of the hospital. The dr said he would never be aable to completely straighten out his arm for the rest of his life...but prayer and my working with him...proved Doc wrong. He has full use of his arm.
When he did get out of the hospital after laying in a bed with his arm in the air...He lost all the muscle strength in his legs and we had to teach him to walk all over again. He kind of walked like E.T. for awhile...side to side instead of forward. ~ Your bee adventure all sounds so fascinating. We have a lot of Honey suckle around here too but I don't believe I have ever seen Winter Honeysuckle. I will have to look that up.

OK...want to go read for awhile.

sweet dreams,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 19 2012 12:13:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  06:12:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies!

Wow - I can't believe I've reached my 1000th post! Yikes! So, I thought it might be fun if I did a little give-away among us "porchies". If you e-mail me, I will put your name in a canning jar (how farmgirlish is that) and I will pull a winner on Tuesday morning, January 31st, which is my momma's 83rd birthday.

Hope to hear from everybody!

Big farmgirl hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  06:22:32 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Porchies. I've been here, mostly lurking/reading, but not posting much. A lot is going on right now, so it's a little stressful. Can't really go into it, but it's a lot of changes. And our weather is crazy cold right now, too. It's -27C this morning with a whindchill of -39C. Next week is supposed to be warmer - let's hope! And only one more week without our one worker (she took holidays), so it will be nice when she gets back.

Sorry I'm not going to post in response everyone's previous posts....but I did read & pray for all of ya's. Hope your day goes well ladies.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  06:59:25 AM  Show Profile
Leslea, Welcome to the porch. These are a bunch of supportive and loving women. You're going to love it here.

Peggy, At last, some one who gets it. It snowed here and the next thing I knew everything was cancelled. REALLY? I'm from Northern Canada so I've seen my share of snow and I've never let the weather stop me from going anywhere I wanted to go. I don't think I'll ever get used to it either. :D

Julie, I think you'll find that anywhere. People think they know everything and no one new could possibly teach them anything. Personally, I believe I can learn from anyone. No matter what your age, if you know something I want to learn I'm going to listen.

Pam, hope everything is okay. I hate stress, don't handle it well. I'll be praying for you. If you have a healthfoodstore available to you there are some different essential oils that help you deal with stress.....

We went sledding yesterday. Kids had so much fun. Hoping to go again this afternoon. Today we're going to make those snowmen too. Gotta get all our snow fun in before it disapears on us.

I started doing my exercises again yesterday morning. Aiming for five mornings a week. We'll see how that goes. I really need to get my core strengthened so that my lower back will be better protected. Plus I'd really like to lose some weight. :S But I'm not sure my body will let me do it. If it annoys the muscles and starts those spasms.......

Megan, you sound so busy! Do you ever get a chance to just breath??? Sounds like you are enjoying it all though.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  08:23:44 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning
Well we have rain today so the snoe is almost gone. It will be gone by the afternoon. They are predicting rain for several days. At least it is not freezing rain!

Angela give your Hubby a big hug from us. we are all glad you will get to stay in touch. Still praying for you and your family. I am glad that there are options. At least now you can do something.

Kimberly enjoy the snow wiyh your kids. I miss those days, but the memories are very special to me.

Ruth Ann so glad you are feeling better and way to go on the shopping. You sound like my GF she is always on the hunt for a good bargin.

Dana I was not in on the swap but I know how you feel. I had a box of wheat weaved ornaments that I made. We stored them in a box. Next year I went to get them. A mouse )that we did not know we had) found them. There was not much left. I cried the whole afternoon. :(

Pam bunndle up and keep warm. I hope you get warmer weather soon. -27 is waaaaay too cold!

Peggy and Kimberly I am with you. I can not believe that they close everything down. My DH and I always laugh at the news when they say they had an inch of snow and closed down the city. what?! 1 inch! It takes about a foot to come close to closing anything here.

I am looking out at grey skies and wishing it would snow again. Snow brightens everything up. Rain is just depressing to me.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  10:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Dianne, it's cuz we have no clue how to drive on icy roads. We're a danger to ourselves and others cuz we get very little practice. When I lived in Eugene (Ore.) I did learn how because every couple of years we'd get a foot or two. But that was ages ago.

Our problem yesterday was such high winds that trees were falling right and left, and also, people were losing control by being blown by the wind, hence crashes. The Yaquina Bay Bridge (Newport, Ore.) was closed for several hours because a box truck was blown over into the path of a pickup in the other lane. Noone hurt much. Then I think the truck blew over. It took awhile to clear because the crews couldn't work in the wind.

Oh what exciting times we live in.

God bless all of you, praying for you.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  11:12:47 AM  Show Profile
Girls be careful, please. I'm watching all that weather on the Weather Channel. Keep us posted.
I haven't been on the porch in a while. I see it is as busy as ever.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  11:30:49 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everybody! It's snowing!!! Don't expect much but it was coming down at a pretty good pace for a bit. It will look pretty and then go away. They're predicting temps back up in the 40's by Monday. It's driving me nuts with these up and down temps. The yard is a mud pit and the dogs are tracking mud in faster then I can clean it.

PeggyAnn - Have you considered taking him to a dog park so he can just run? I think running is a trait most terrier breeds have. Thankfully Oreo isn't like that, I really lucked out with her being a Jack Russell. She's definately got the terrior stubborn trait in spades though LOL

Angela - Contrats on the Kindle! That was so sweet of him. Hopefully the rest will work itself out. We're having similiar problems regarding dietary issues with the man's mother. She's in stage 3 renal failure and the doctor's told her if she doesn't change the way she eats she'll be in stage 4 within a year and on dialysis. His sister admitted that she opened her freezer and it's still filled with microwave meals - she's not cooking for herself like she needs to be. At 84 yo it's doubtful they'll okay her for a kidney transplant especially since she won't change her diet to prevent getting to that stage. She's also having dementia issues that nobody in the family wants to admit are occurring because that means they'd have to do something. She really should not be living by herself to say the least and definately shouldn't be driving. Her car is all dinged up from hitting things but everybody ignores it. I get furious because she could seriously hurt or kill somebody while driving because they refuse to address the issues. She's not my mother and as far as the family is concerned I need to stay out of it. The man's tried to bring stuff up and now we're no longer invited over to some of the gatherings. The way they baby and coddle her drives me insane. That's great your grandbaby is doing better. Take a deep breath, take a long hot bath, and read a good book so you can relax :O)

Megan - congrats on the driver's license! What a stepping stone for you.

I'm fixing chicken noodle soup tonight - homemade of course. I'll leave some on the porch. Bye for now.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  11:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Afternoon Porchies,
Hope everyone is staying safe and warm. Hoping for all that your day is filled with with hapiness and positivity. That all your stress has vanished. As for me I'm staying inside out of the cold enjoying a cup of tea and a piece of cake. Were bracing for a large snow storm tomorrow starting at noon. Calling for up to 9 inches with wind chill in the single numbers below zero. Later today I'm getting out to get a massage. Good reason to get out.
Peggy you ask how herbs I'm taking well I'm taking as needed up to 3 a day. Since I feeling better I only took 1 yesterday. I've decided to the max. dose for awhile. Hoping that the inflamation will leave soon.
Hope all is good
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  12:40:57 PM  Show Profile
Good Morning My Lovelies....
It is pouring buckets of rain this morning. It is like The Monsoons have hit or something.

Pam...praying for you...the Lord knows your circumstances...so he will best know how to help you deal with all that is going on.

Kimberly...isn't the whole snow thing just silly here??? Good grief I learned to drive in Spokane where we had record snow fall that year. I remember my dad out shoveling snow
(he was 6 ft tall) and you couldn't see him...for how high the snow was in our front yard. And our house sat on a small hill. ~ I don't mind driving in snow...what I do mind is the crazy drivers here who panic at a skiff of snow on the road.

Dianne...yes, you would know exactly what Kimberly and i were talking about with the snow. In Spokane it took 12-24 inches of snow before the schools closed and then only for a day....just long enough for the snow plows to hit the major streets. The rural areas may have stayed closed longer.

Nan...I saw the pictures on the news last night of the wind blowing that semi-truck into that white pick-up on the bridge. I am so glad no one got hurt and that the semi wasn't blown completely off the bridge. That happened one time in The Gorge. The cab was actually dangling off the the side cables of the Bridge. Frightening!

Luanne...thanks for doing the drawing...how fun! And Congrats on your 1,ooo post!

Marly...WELCOME BACK TO THE PORCH! Hope you plan to stay now that you are back.
You are right...The Porch is always busy, with lots of fun, laughter, tears, stories, life, and just living in general.

Bunny...another pajama day today??
I got up and got dressed but am going back to my p.j.'s and bed. It just am in too much pain.

RFM Tammy...I haven't taken Snickers to a dog park...I am sure he would love it. Bella on the other hand is afraid of Big Dogs...but she will go after one in a heart-beat to protect Snickers. She maybe a small Shi tzu but she has the heart of a pit bull. I would have to leave her at home.

Ruthie...if you can relieve your pain with Herbs, that is sure better than taking prescription pain-killers. I tried White Willow Bark for my Fibro Pain...but it didn't do anything for me. I was so hoping it would.

OK lovely ladies...stay warm and dry and think about something positive. I read a quote on my Flower Calendar this morning and it made me yearn for Spring but I liked the quote. It said:

"In all things of nature there is something of the Marvelous"

Nice thought for the day...so, I leave you with that until later...

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 19 2012 12:45:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  12:47:51 PM  Show Profile
I learned to drive in the snow in Vermont, so I too am amazed when school is closed, roads closed, etc. and only a few inches of snow - but I guess it is all what we are used to!

Don't forget to e-mail me to put your name in the drawing!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  1:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon everyone. Well, I got up this morning and went to school. But during the lunch break we got a freezing rain and they cancelled classes for the rest of the day. So, I'm home, in Jammies. Fun! I don't have a problem driving in the snow, I'm always worried about everyone else. In the mountains, so what if you do a little sliding. No one is around. Here, big difference. I don't do a very good job at trusting the other drivers. So I drive a little slower and put it in 4 wheel when the road isn't plowed. My mother says they never plow the road in front of her house. Only the major roads in town. Of course when I got home today, the road was plowed and I had to ram the burm to park. Nice to have a big truck!
Amazing how everyone was complaining about no snow or much weather. It guess mother nature got tired of us complaining. Seems everyone is getting hit from something. The freezing rain is kinda cool when you don't have to drive or walk in it. I loved the pattern on my car windows this morning from the frozen sheet of ice.

Everyone stay safe and Warm!!

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  6:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Good evening all...just wanted to stop by to say be careful out in this weather......my son is till in MI and won't be moving back till the 27th. I know the snow and ice is bad in the north right now and just want everyone to be safe. I'm on day 9 of not smoking and want to thank everyone for your love and support and mostly prayers....I hope to check in again tomorrow...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  6:55:35 PM  Show Profile
YEAH Penny!!!!! Keep it up, I know you can do it!!! I remember my Daddy's struggle with quiting but it's so worth it. I'll be praying for you. *hugs*

Enjoying being "snowed in". Not really but got no where to go so staying home. Love seeing the snow outside. The freezing rain isn't my favorite but it's not a problem for me because I don't have anything that it affects. None of my animals have to paw through looking for food so I don't have to worry about cut up legs.

Did I mention that I started working out? UGH I'm so out of shape it's horrid. I'm doing the easiest level and dieing. But so far no spasms or crippled up laying in a puddle of pain so we're doing good. :D

Peggy & Ruthie, have either of you tried essential oils for your pain? I personally can't take pain killers, bad things happen, so I use natural or I suffer through it. I've found essential oils really helpful for a vast amount of things. I even made a recipe for labor pain and MAN did it work. I have a book with recipes in it if you think it might be worth trying. I'll help in any way I can.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  6:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Penny, day 9 is great!!!!! It will be 8 years for me tomorrow. My hubby and I go out every year to a fancy place for a nice dinner. That is my reward. To keep from smoking, I would keep telling myself that I am stronger than a cigarette, and I was not going to let a cigarette run my life. It worked for me, plus sucking on alot of pretzel rods. I smoked for 37 years and quit cold turkey. You are doing a wonderful job. Am so proud of you!!!!
Janet

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  7:14:39 PM  Show Profile
Penny...YOU GO GIRL!!!! So, proud of you. And I agree with Janet...you are stronger than a cigarette!!

Kimberly...I did try Essential Oils for my Fibro and it made the house stink so badly that my husband
and son forbid me using it. And I was in complete agreement. Let's just say there are different kinds
of pain and that was not a good trade. I just used a little tiny sample packet and it took days to get
that smell to leave the house. Very unpleasant!

Welcome Janet...hope you keep coming back!

Bunny...freezing ice is so much worse than snow. Especially when you have to drive daily over the 205 Bridge to go to work in Portland everyday...like I use to have to. BUT again because I learned to drive in inclament
weather...I was always the one that made it into work (Christian Supply on Division) at that time and
non of the Portland employees which lived so much closer never made it in. Some times I would turn back around and
drive home to Vancouver because no one else was brave enough to come into work. Crazy!

Dinner is in the Oven and it's pretty good considering I had to stay in bed all afternoon. Went back to
bed about 12:30 I think and didn't get up until 6:00. I will never understand that need for restorative
sleep when you are having a fibro-flare.

OK...off to set the table.

Living Loved,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 20 2012 9:20:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  7:40:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
I have received many addresses and birthdays, I will get that list out this weekend. If you want to be on the list, just send me an email!
Julie, it's okay that you missed the first one, it wasn't a very promintent part of my post!
Peggy, it is funny how some places shut down for a dusting of snow while here in Wisconsin, we need at least 7 inches to even consider a possible snow-day. My uncle who lives in Atlanta was in law school last year, and they had a snow week for about 2 inches of snow. I hope your fibro gets better. And I wasn't able to go sledding, soon though!
Penny, congratulations! That is a great feat, and I hope you're able to continue.
Kimberly, good for you for getting into shape! I hope you don't get too sore anytime soon!
Luanne, congrats on 1000 posts!
Bunny, I agree Mother Nature got tired of everyone complaining! There's definitely a lot of weather going on now.
Dianne, I hope you got more snow:)
Well, I definitely have good feelings about this second semester. I'm enjoying my classes, and I feel like there's enough people I like in all of my classes that it will be fun to be in all of my classes. Tonight my Mom's going to dye over the blonde in my hair, I'm over it, and I want to go back to my natural color. I'm excited to be a non-blonde again! I hope everyone has great Fridays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  11:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Penny, good going! Keep it up. I know we are all rooting for you.

Got a call from my old cranky boss lady from the quilt shop. She was sounding like my lost best friend. Just calling to see how I was doing. She said she had been thinking about me and wondered how I was. I told her I was doing great, going to school and getting all A's. I think she is a bit touched in the head. Can't figure out why she would call. Either wants me for something or is hoping my life has fallen apart even more. Glad to let her know everything is just fine!

Tomorrow is a big homework day and running mom around town. Fun! Maybe I'll get lucky and the weather will be really bad.

Nite everyone.

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  07:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Penny- You are doing great! When I quit there was a state website that would add up all the money I was saving and also tell me what health benefits I was now enjoying. Drinking juice also helps with cravings. Sounds weird but works. And telling yourself that you are a nonsmoker. Proud of you girl.

Bunny- your cranky boss lady is wanting to use you again. She is certainly touched in the head.

Today I have to do all the bills and errands. Get to stop and have my eyebrows done. Weather is foggy today. I hope Megan posts a pic of her new hair.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  08:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, for the warm welcome back, Peggy Ann. The weather is foggy here too Julie. Stay safe is the fog.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  09:56:39 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning

Nan Wow that wind sounds really bad. I have been on that bridge and I would not want to try and cross it with really heavy winds. You could get blown right off the bridge.

Peggy Thats right. The schools if they close are only closed for the day. I guess it is what you are use to.

Nan we have crazy drivers here too. We just have them all year long.

Bunny freezing rain is the one winter thing that I hate. I am glad they canceled classes and you got to go home and get in your jammies.

Penny you go girl!!!
They say it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. You are almost half way there. YEAH!!!

Tonight is chicken noodle cassarole. Saturday is date night! My two DDs got together for Christmas and gave my DH and I gift cards for a movie theater and a restaurant. We are going to use them Saturday. Should be fun.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  10:06:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I'm not even gonna try to play Ketch-up! LOL
Did any of you get those 50MPH winds the other night after the sun went down? It was awful!!!Scary!!!
We had a snowstorm alllll day yesterday. I went out and cleaned the sidewalks last night before DH got in. It only seems to snow the deep stuff when he's working one of his 12 hour days. So naturally I get to clean up the stuff. I don't mind, as long as my back isn't acting up. I just take my time. I filled the bird-feeders while I was at it. They are all happy today. There are lots of pretty red cardinals and 1 "bad-boy"(that's what DH&I call them, because they are so ornery!)blue-jay. I love watching the birds....my Winter-Reward!
Jan R....I still need your home address&E-mail address so that I can get this TeaBags List out. We'll just skip January since it was too soon for anyone to take it. We'll still have lots of great teas to try from the other months!
Well, that's all from me for now.
Stay warm&safe Porch-buds!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Jan 20 2012 10:08:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  11:27:46 AM  Show Profile
Afternoon Porchies,
Hi! I'm on break at work and looking out the window. Looks like the weather man was right it's snowing and were suppose to get 9 inchies.
Hope everyone is doing well today. Everyone stays safe and warm. I'll try to check in alittle later.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  3:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, I'm praying for your MIL's situation. It's awful. She needs help and the family won't.
Praying for all you fibro people, too, that it will flee.

Peggy Ann, that was impressive, the truck on the bridge. All is quiet just now, it quieted down yesterday, and still is. THe flooding is gone from Hwy101, but several rivers are just coming down from flood stage. And they've said we're getting another big storm tonight. sigh. But there's a sinkhole in the west lane of the highway, with flaggers directing traffic around it, so we're one lane. The thing is, I live 15 miles south of Newport, where I do everything including work. And they might close the highway so they can fix it. Which really messes a lot of things up. I could stay with friends in Newport, except for my old cat, who doesn't do that sort of thing. sigh.I'll dump it on the Lord, it's his world, not mine.

I've heard in a herb group (yahoo) that oil of oregano is good for pain. I think you take some internally, not rub it on. But if you did rub it on, then you'd smell like pizza! How bad is that? I'll see if I can find out more.

PENNY-- GREAT JOB!! Don't give up, you can do it. Praying.

I made some MJF chicken and dumplings again, and just reheated the last of it, and cooked it down so it ended up like dumplings in stew. Not bad. TUrns out that the flavor changes depending on what veggies you put in. I'd never had chicken and dumplings before.

I'm using the MJF food things to get myself back into cooking again.

From Farmgirl #3594 in wet, wet Oregon.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  4:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Nan, I hope you don't get stuck. Winter weather can really put a cramp on traveling. It's pretty rotten here today. Freezing rain, cold and just messy. I'm at home in jammies down for the count. Thankfully my mom cancelled her doctors appointment. I was not going to drive on the highway for anything.
I love chicken and dumplings BTW. I add sour cream and white wine to the mix. Soooo Good. You just have to be careful the sour cream doesn't curdle when you put it in. Try it sometime. I always put burgundy in my beef stew too.

Tomorrow I plan on sewing all day. I'm being good and getting my homework for next week done. I'm getting writers cramp from all the papers I have to write. I should be good enough to write a novel after all this experience.

Stay warm and safe everyone. Penny, keeping you in my thoughts! Just think of all the money you are saving!

Farmgirl number 3738

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page