Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  12:17:38 PM  Show Profile
It's been a few days since I've been on here...but it's been busy!

Kim, congratulations on your new vehicle! I want to get a newer one, but considering how much I actually drive a vehicle, I'm not sure it's worth it for myself...we'll see. Sounds pretty nice, though. And I'm so glad that you & your husband are going for counselling. I'm a huge believer in counselling & talking things out. At least getting it into the open. Good for you guys for taking this huge step!

Happy (belated) Birthday TeaLady Tammy! Hope you had a great day/weekend!

~~~~~~~
On Friday I had a dr appt, then I had to go to my "aunt's" funeral. She took my dad in when he was a teenager & she was a most amazing woman! I haven't really talked to her for a long while...but she is someone who will always be dear to me. My Mom, sister & her two kids were down for the funeral as well, and we went to the Santa parade after supper. The kids thought it was great & that's all that matters. And the best part is, I'll get to see her in heaven! (I just finished reading Heaven is For Real, and it's making heaven seem so much nearer & better than anything anyone has ever said before, I totally recommend it but be prepared to cry!)

Yesterday we had an early birthday party for me b/c as my nephew put it "Aunty, you don't get many birthday parties...so let's have a party here tonight!". So we had some Cranberry-Apple & Sage pork chops (one of those Club House seasoning mixes) & rice. Then we had birthday cake!!! I haven't had a birthday cake in years! I even got some birthday presents (usually I end up having to wait for Christmas) - 3 pairs of earrings & a bracelet! I also got a pair of slippers, some Starbursts, & some homemade sweet orange soap (that my friends' sister makes - www.greenfieldsoap.com or http://greenfieldsoap.wordpress.com/) It's wonderful stuff :).

Today, my nephew came to church with me & he was wonderful! Very well behaved & polite...so nice :). It made me very proud that he was so well behaved & respectful. They left today, which kind of made me sad, but I know they have to go home, and my place isn't big enough for 4 extra people all the time :).

I got my sister to help me make some things for the Grey Cup (CFL football) party later today - we made some candy cane nanaimo bars, lemon slice (Mom made that one), oreo cookie balls, & I have some pomegranate chocolate truffles that taste like cherry ready to go. Not sure how much I'm going to need, but it's all good. Sitting out on my patio in the cold so they are ready to go later. Just have to cut them up. Ya'll can have a taste - they are yummy!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  12:30:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I said goodbye to my son and his dad about 2am. Missing my son already. But it was nice to have him here. Work is kicking me hard. I don't know how much longer I can do it. I do all right at work but then I'm down all day in pain and pretty much unable to do anything else. I work every other day so my school day is my recovery day. Plus the hours are getting longer. Instead of 4 hours I'm now up to 6.5 hours. At 5 hours I can't hardly walk anymore. Not sure what to do but I need the money. I have been looking for something else but there isn't much out there right now. At least I have all day today to do homework.

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  7:02:25 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly...Glad you weren't officially MIA girl...we were getting worried about you...but now we see you have been busy busy busy! Congrats on the Counseling. I am so glad that have someone that both you and your husband know and respect...makes a huge difference! I am so proud of you for listening to The Spirits prompting. ~ Also, congrats on the new car. I can't believe our little Truck Mama...is driving something "normal". My friend has that same car and absolutely loves it.

Miss Maranda...well, was the ring still there? Did Josh like it? Maybe a Christmas Presant?? ~ How did your bread turn out? Sounds good? If I made home-made bread like I use to I would be 5ft 2" both ways!

Pam...sounds like your nephew was the Perfect Gentle-man. Isn't he about 10 or 11? Seems to me we saw a picture of you two together sometime back. Am I right? ~ How fun that you got a Birthday Party too! I never got B-day parties when I was young, and so my family
has always made sure I had great Birthday's as an adult. And I always gave my kids great B-days too.

Bunny...I am so sorry that your Fibro is affecting your work...but I know exactly what you are going through. That is just too many hrs. 3-4 hrs is even pushing it. Praying for you girl. Have you ever thought of Medical Disability?

Love and Hugs,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  04:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, I haven't worked enough for Medical disability. I was a stay at home mom for 10 years and self employed for 12 after that. Plus,I know I could do an office job with no problems. I just need to find one. I'm kind of stuck right now as I don't have enough money in the bank to quit. I do have some days of making gift baskets working 4 hours. Hopefully that will help. I was able to work the quilt shop for 8 hours a day. But I was able to sit down quite a bit when I was working on the computer and sewing. I just need to get off my feet! I feel a bit deceived with this job. I was never told the hours or that I would be working by myself. I think they know how hard the job is and knew if they were truthful I wouldn't have taken it.
Anyway, I'll do the best I can for as long as I can. I at least got my homework done and have Saturday and Sunday off to do homework then. That is the most important thing.

Well, it's 4:20am. time to get ready.

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:48:05 AM  Show Profile
Hey Peg! The ring was still there. I don't exactly know if he liked it... men are funny some times. Makes me bonkers. I know it won't be a Christmas present, though.

The bread turned out better than last time, but still not quite as good as I used to make it. I think a lot of it is, I am overworking the dough. That, and I think I need to adjust the recipe just slightly. The dough doesn't seem wet enough. I know I have had to increase the amount of moisture I put in my pie crusts, so it would stand to reason I'd need to do the same with my bread.

Back to the grind today... early start, as I am not working Saturday. It's kind of a double edged sword. If I am not working Saturday, I have to get up much earlier. If I am working saturday, I get an eight hour day condensed into four hours. And, everyone strolls in within the last hour wanting to do major things like new accounts and loans and such, then get mad because they have to wait half an hour because four other people in baggy shorts and concert teeshirts came in before they did.

Meh, guess I am just grumpy this morning. It's monday, I'm still sleepy and cramps are starting. Maybe the day will turn out better than I am expecting, though!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

http://www.tawnycow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  08:29:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi -

All this talk about baking bread leads me to a question. I keep trying to make bread, but it never seems to rise very well. It tastes fine, but the loaves are small and kind of flat - any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I let it rise, punch it down and put it in the pans, but it doesn't rise very well the 2nd time.

Thanks!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  09:46:42 AM  Show Profile
That was actually my issue yesterday and I have discovered 1 of 3 things. I doubt that it was an issue with killing the yeast, since it rose the first time. The next option is I may not have had it in a warm enough place, as it got rather cold and windy here yesterday. The third, and most likely, is overworking the dough. We see people manhandle dough and come out with beautiful bread, but I think I manhandled mine a bit too much. I kneaded either too firmly or too much and it did not rise enough. At least, that is my best guess so far. Next time I bake bread, I will try a couple of things differently and update everyone.

Sitting here waiting for lunch so I can go destress and work on some beads while eating left overs. I think we're all pretty stressed out at work... not enough people in some departments and the left hand's not talking to the right hand all that well. Maybe making a few rosettes will make me happier!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile
Luanne...are you putting a wet moist tea-towel(light weight kitchen towel) over it and then putting it in a real warm spot? I use to turn my oven to like 250-300 and then set my bread bowl on top of the Oven (vent) top burner of the stove. Obviously using a glass bowl not a plastic one. Worked great for getting the bread to double in size. The second time after you put it in the pans set it back on the stove top burner to rise again. Will not double in size but should be a nice round mound above the top of the bread pan. I do not use the moist towel the second time around. Hope that helps!

Bunny...Sounds like a lot of work girlfriend. Don't you have a stool or chair that you could sit on to do the cutting of the fruit? With Fibro you need a job with short hours and where you can sit, stand, and walk. Keep trying to move and not just stand in one place. I would also ask if they would allow you a stool or chair. Do you have customer contact or are you just off all alone by yourself? I do not know how you worked 8 hour days at the Quilt Shop...even if you were sitting more. Do you have Chronic Fatigue with the Fibro? Where you hit a wall sometime between say 1-4 in the afternoon? I have that and I have to sleep...there is no getting around it. If I push through and don't sleep (which is near impossible but I have done it) then I end up spending nearly all day in bed the next day. So, it isn't worth forcing ones self to stay awake...when your body needs that restoritive sleep. Anyway, praying for you girl...if it's not one thing it is another huh?

Miss Miranda...Men are funny about jewelry and all things that glitter and sparkle... I agree. My husband and I shopped together for my 25th Anniv. Wedding Set and after trying on 3 sets...we both really liked the 3rd set...but I wanted to keep my options open and look a bit further...and the next thing I knew my hubby was paying for the rings. I said, "I really wanted to look a little more." and he said, "Why, we both liked it and it looked great on your hand, why look further?" I just shrugged and gave into his male logic. LOL I do love the set...but it all happened so fast I didn't even have fun in the experience. I didn't get to ooowe and aawe as much as I wanted to.

Well My Porchies...I have laundry going, and I need to get working on my Bible Study Preperation, and my Mail-Art...that is my to-do list for the day. Short but time consuming. I will check back later...Have a Wonderful Day!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  11:36:00 AM  Show Profile
Peg, my Daddy was the same way and Momma reminded me that one of the biggest arguments they ever had.... was over an iron. Yes, like the kind you press clothes with! Daddy wanted some big fancy Black and Decker for Mom, but she hated it. She wanted small, light weight, and simple (I love my 7 dollar Shark for that reason!). He insisted on the B&D and couldn't figure out why she didn't see it his way. I said "It's kind of like Chelsea (best girlfriend) reminded me about the ring, who's going to be the one wearing/using it anyway?". I'm very particular about jewelry, especially rings, because I have small hands, small fingers, and I use my hands a lot. I don't like big gaudy things and I don't like prong settings because they get caught on everything. This one is lovely with an Art Deco style square set.

But, I think it's also partially because it's a wedding set and I know he's scared to get married just yet. Mostly, I suppose I just wish he'd tell me what he's thinking more often. He wants me to tell him what I like so that he knows once he IS ready, but then he doesn't say much when I DO show him something. I showed him a couple rings early on, but he didn't like thim. This one is my favorite since the first one, which he didn't like at all. Men are frustrating some times! But I'll keep him. He's worth it!

As for the bread... I had not thought about putting the bowl directly on the stove to take heat from the oven! That's what I will try next time! I use these WONDERFUL brown earthenware bowls Momma had in her china cabinet. She was considering getting rid of them until I said I wanted them. So, that would work PERFECTLY!

I'm also quite embarrassed to admit that I forgot about using a damnp towel to keep the bread from drying out. At least now I have notes to pencil into my book!

Looking outside it looks so pretty, but a cold blast blew through and it's cold in various parts of the building, too. Our manager won't put her heater on, so the breakroom is chilly, and the ladies room... It's enough to make you cry! One coworker says we need long johns just to go in there! It's not as cold here as it is in other states, but it was in the 80s just last week!

Ah well. It's back to the grind, again. Hope you all have a wonderful rest of your day!

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  1:40:56 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, no stool for sitting is possible. I'm pretty much running and standing the whole time. Cutting then putting it in a bowl. I'm just going to have to hang in there for a few weeks more. I told the manager I didn't know how much longer I can do it. The rest of this week should be a little better and the beginning of next week I'm doing gift baskets. Two days at 4 hours each. Then back to fruit cutting. They keep saying things will slow down for winter. I'm looking for something else. At least I know I don't want to work in a grocery store anymore!
I do hit a wall at about 2pm. I usually sleep from 3pm for a few hours. It would be nice to just find a job I can actually do well. Too much pain right now.

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  1:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! Worked the weekend. I have a little more to tell you about Black Friday. Around lunch time DH decided he did not want to stay home and wanted to get out of the house for awhile. We went and ate lunch and then went to Lowe's. They still had a few of the fire/waterproof safes on sale so we got one of those. We decided to go to Best Buy and look at the leftovers, not expecting to find anything worth buying. We were looking at different things and DH picked up a box, read it and talked to the sales guy for a minute. I wandered off to look at other things. Then DH comes up and says we have to go to the register NOW! And he's dragging me and telling DD to hurry up. He had accidentally come across the last laptop for $299. We have been wanting a new one but weren't expecting to find one. DH said since the price wasn't on it people had probably been walking by it all day and overlooking it. So we got our new laptop and I've been busy downloading programs and setting it up.

Last week I decided to put in some more seeds. The next 2 days we got some good rain. Hopefully they will sprout. One row was radishes which I really hope come in. The package said it was a 24 day crop. Crossing my fingers for some good luck.

Waiting for DH to get home. If he brings butter then I can make some chocolate chip cookies.

Peg- Hope your doggy is ok. I now know what your sticky notes are. This computer has them. I read about all "your" crazy black Friday people and I can tell you that it has motivated me to get some pepper spray. If that lady could get away from a mob, although I disagree with her reason for using it, it could be something very handy to have, just in case.

Kim-Congratulations on your new car! You're gonna love it. Hope the counseling thing starts working for you guys soon.

Bunny- I hope you can stick with your job through the holidays. It seems like it would slow down after that. School should be on break soon, too?

Luanne- My solution for making bread dough was to buy a breadmaker. I got mine at Goodwill. It has a "Dough Only" button. I just pour all the ingredients in and let it do all the work. Once it's done I divide it into 2 loaves and put in the pans and bake. Works great!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  3:31:12 PM  Show Profile
Julie, after our armed robbery at work, I went to the local gun store and bought peper spray. He gave it to me at a slight discount when he found out why I was purchasing it. I get it from him because he carries a super potent variety and TRUST me, if I decide to use it, I want it to work!

A coworker and I were discussing bread makers and our only concern was that our recipes are super old... mine is 70 years old (at least) and her daughter's(?) is about 100. Plus... right now, I have no more room for gadgets. The day of our robbery, a former coworker brought me a George Foreman she bought for her daughter who was getting one from her mother-in-law and Josh has brought home from work/customers the following: 2 barstools (one broken, unbeknownst to him), doggy steps (since the bed is 12 feet off the ground and the rat terrier is a runt), a cut glass punch bowl (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, anyone?), a crock pot, and I KNOW there is something else but I don't remember what it is at the moment! Kitchen is not small, but I have almost no storage, since it's a modular home There is that ONE cabinet that I have to crawl into to grab pans out of... I ought to put the punch bowl back there, but I am liable to forget it when we move.. HAHA!

32 minutes before the doors closed and I am just praying no one else comes in. Had a crazy fella earlier who argued with me for 45 minutes about our policies because our competitor does not have that policy. At least dinner is, for the most part, done when I get home! Yay Josh, turkey, and the smoker!

Well, I'm going to go occupy myself for another half hour. Hope you all have a wonderful/safe evening!

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  4:07:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies...my 12 year old son decided to make a cheesecake this afternoon so if anyone would like a piece, it is delicious! Not quite sure where his little baking side has been hiding all this time.

I'm a bit bummed right now. One of my favorite piano students just dropped. I'm not completely surprised, but I've really enjoyed my time with her. She said she just isn't loving playing flute and wants to do more with dance. I know that having students drop is a part of teaching, but I feel like I've somehow failed her and maybe other students. I need to find more ways to get them to love playing.

Ok, off to try to figure out some new things.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  7:28:50 PM  Show Profile
Miss Peggy,
inquiring minds...ok my inquiring mind would like to know what you are doing for bible study? I am always interested.

All this bread making is making me hungry.. May have to make some this weekend. I was back to work and the little butterflies today. I have decided they have forgotten everything we learned. They couldn't add, read, or anything todya. I believe the turkey went to their poor little butterfly minds. HOpefully tomorrow will be better. We are also getting ready for our Christmas program and cookie walk.

Well ladies I hope yall had a great day. I am heading to my book and tea and then to bed.

love to you all,
tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~The View From Within
http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  07:45:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks all. The car is nice and maybe I'm getting over my fear of them now..... after I got hit by the drunk driver all cars looked like coffins to me. But this baby has more airbags on it so in reality we'd probably be safer in it than a bigger vehicle.

The counselor we have is fantastic. He's a little tough on you, but fair. We've done counselling before so although I'm more than willing to work on it I'm not actually real hopeful. I feel like been there done that, didn't work....now what.

Miranda, armed robbery = SCARY. I saw a tazer the other day....man those things would give a person a little confidence! I used to carry pepper spray all the time. Never had to use it, thankfully.

Julie, congrats on the computer! So glad you found your steal deal.

Pam, sorry you had such a rough time between funerals and doctors but so glad you got to have a fun birthday. Your nephew sounds like a great guy.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  08:36:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi all. Just popping in for a minute. Blessing to all, will leave some of DD's white chocolate fudge with apricots. man can that girl bake.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  09:53:15 AM  Show Profile
Afternoon everybody. The weather here is rainy again and they're predicting it will turn to a mix of rain and snow somewhere around 9pm tonight. Definately not looking forward to the morning commute tomorrow. This morning was nightmarish with all the flooding from the rain but to add snow and slippery roads plus people around here just don't know how to drive gives me anxiety attacks. Temps have been in the 50's but they're predicting a low of 19 tomorrow night. Looks like I might be pulling down the down comforter soon.

I took a break from the knitting yesterday. I finished off the second dishcloth Sunday so I decided I deserved it :O) Got an order for 4 more dishclothes today so guess it's back to work. Still need to look and find a pattern for the hat with ear flaps. Need to get a pair of socks done too.

We've been having problems with our oven not cooking thicker veggies like potatoes and carrots. Doesn't matter if there's liquid in the pot or not. The man thinks its because I typically use a clay roaster to cook them in so last night I decided to use my cast iron dutch oven. Worked like a charm - carrots were roasted to perfection as was the chicken. Yum. Has anybody else had problems with things not cooking well in these type of pans/roasters? I got mine through Pampered Chef and can't remember having a problem until I moved into the house with him.

Kimberly - you're lucky he'll try counselling. My man won't consider it - feels that anybody that works in these fields are the lowest humans on earth. Probably has something to do with the fact he's a Taurus and won't be told anything anyway. My ex went for one visit on two different occasions and got the same thing told to him. He didn't like it so he refused to go back for any further visits. You'd think if two counselors in two different states told you the same thing you might want to listen.

Tammy - I'm sure it's the holidays affecting their little brains. I homeschooled my crew and to combat this problem we just basically did craft and homemaking skills the entire month of December. Unfortunately you don't have that ability. We'd watch a ton of classic Christmas/holiday movies, bake cookies, breads, and make candies, sew, knit, or whatever. I'd have them read a book of their choice too. The girls as they got older were asked a lot to help other families with kids so the parents could get shopping and such done.

Speaking of breads - has anybody seen the show with Chef Brad on BYU Cable Channel? I didn't even know I got the channel until about a week ago I was scrolling for something to watch and after clicking on a movie started seeing commercials for the channel with BYU constantly mentioned. Checked the guide and sure enough a new channel. We have Comcast cable. There's also a show called Menu Nanny. Chef Brad last night made an artisan bread using ground black bean flour and black quinoa. It looked so good. The man and I both like watching cooking shows and even he thought this bread was interesting. Chef Brad is about using grains which I'd like to do more of so this was a good find for me to learn.

Okay, back to work. Everybody have a great day and stay warm :O)

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  10:18:12 AM  Show Profile

Bella waiting for Santa...under our little Christmas Tree!

Good Morning Porchies...I did not get any of these posts notices last night...I thought it was odd that everyone was quiet on The Porch. Like just plain strange!!! LOL Cyber Monday must have been messing with the emails and boards.

Miss Miranda...That Art Deco Wedding Set sounds lovely. I love that whole era and a lot of the Jewelry from that time period too. Also a lot of the Art work appeals to me from then too.

I hope they have improved pepper-spray over the years. When I lived in Spokane back in the late 70's there was a serial rappist going around...so all of us women armed ourselves with pepper spray. The only time I used it was on a vicious dog in my yard...and all I can say is no one warned me to check the wind direction before you sprayed it. lol I sprayed the dog and the wind blew it all back on me. I was so mad...but my anger must have scared the dog away because when I looked around he was gone.

Bunny...bummer girl...about NO chair or stool. You are going to find the right job by power of ellimination...it seems like.

Julie...congrats on the great laptop find. No wonder hubby was hurrying you and dd along.
You will find that sticky notes are a life saver...when using a laptop. I never had these kind of typing problems on a regular PC.
I don't know if we had any laptops that low of price around here on black friday...that was just a great buy.

Hi Wendy...thanks for sharing DS cheesecake with us.
My youngest son was about that age when he surprised me one night and made egg nog scones
(I had never even made scones back then) and they were so delicious...that I talked him into making another batch for a Christmas Party I had to attend a couple days later. lol
That was the beginning of many cooking episodes for him. But he is kind of like my hubby...they are both good cooks but they mess up every pot, pan and utensil in the kitchen and then they don't want to clean up afterwards.

My step-daughter teaches piano in Spokane. She rents a studio rather than doing it from her home. I know she always hates to lose students too.

Madame Butterfly...for you inquiring mind...I am still teaching through the Bible called "The Story" put out by Max Lucado and some other prominent Pastors. It takes awhile to work through the entire Bible...I probably have at least another year to go.
No hurry...and it is really great teaching this way again.
Tis The Season...for little butterflies to lose their minds...with anticipation and lots of sugar! LOL Hopefully you will have some days better than others.

Kimberly...I am with you, I think I would rather have a tazor than pepper spray. At least by my past experience. Ha ha!

Did you go to this same counselor before? It is good that he is a little tough on you...that is what makes a good counselor. But he must be mutually tough on both people. I have seen some counselors that will favor one or the other person...and a marriage takes two to make it work.

Glad you are liking the car.

Cherime...oh, white chocolate fudge with apricots sounds interesting. I was looking at a white choc fudge recipe last night trying to decide if that is what I wanted to take to a Christmas Party next week or not.

RFM Tammy...you and I were posting at the same time. Most men refuse counseling...I have seen it over and over again. And most men don't think they are the problem...so it has to be the woman they are with, so why go to counseling. Sorry but that is just an assinine excuse and a cop-out. BUT that seems to be the mind-set of many! Too bad because with that attitude...they are destined for failure in relationships.

I have seen Chef Brad. Yummy stuff!

Well, I need to do my Mail-Art...didn't get it done yesterday.

Later Porchies....
hugs and smiles,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Nov 29 2011 10:32:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  11:08:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! Well I baked me some bread and chocolate chip cookies yesterday. Yummy! Today I'm in a Fall cleaning mood. It's a pretty day here and I need to get some things done outside before we have those cloudy cold days. The garden is looking good. Lost a couple of plants to freezing temps but all the lettuces and chard are happy plants. Does anyone have the pasta maker attachment for the kitchenaid? Does it work well?

TLTammy- I'm studying a book with a another lady for Bible study. Sorry your little butterflies are flying like turkeys. It's hard to concentrate and learn with so many breaks at this time of year.

RFM Tammy- Haha..sounds like your Pampered Chef pan doesn't like it's home. I don't have one of those pans. I do love cast iron though. I even remember having a doll size set of cast iron dishes to play with. My DH goes to counseling every 2 weeks now. It took a lot to get him to finally go. If his family knew they would think he was weak and a sissy. It's kind of ironic that the whole reason he needs to go is also the reason that kept him from going. His cousin is even a therapist but but I would never go to her, her moral compass is terrible.

Peggy- I agree about men not wanting to go to counseling. I got fed up with DH. I asked him if he was sick would he go to the doctor. If he broke his arm would he go to the doctor. He said yes. So I said if something is bothering you this much and for so long, why don't you go fix it? He agreed but it was still a big hurdle for him to admit he needed that extra bit of help. It's a humbling experience for them. I try to be reassuring and tell him I notice the good changes in him.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  12:54:59 PM  Show Profile
The bread turned into a great addition to Josh's turkey from Sunday. Momma had given us her turkey (since it's just her, it would take her MONTHS to eat the dang thing!) and Josh put it in the smoker sunday night. Much to our suprise, it was still frozen in the middle when he put it in! So... we got some good color/smell/flavor to it and transferred it to the oven overnight at 200. The next morning, it was a wonderous thing. Penny and Pepper Jean were quite happy when I took it out to warm it up last night. They loved me very much, they did.

Kimberly: the robbery was horrendous, and it happened 3 months ago today, come to think of it. All of the ladies at my branch are working on getting their handgun permits, but they are so expensive! You have to take a class, and if you take it using a revolver, you can only carry a revolver. If you take it using a semi automatic, you can use anything. Then, you pay for the fingerprinting. Then, you pay for the registration/application. All in all, it's around $300 to get the license!! I understand why they do it, but good grief! So, for now, I carry my pepper spray. My boss fired hers off in a random corner in the lobby, since she'd never used it. She's a little wacky some times, but hey! At least we know how it works now!

Peggy: About the art deco... *SIGH!* I love it. I've got a few peieces at the house, but it's getting scarce. I love all the old stuff, what can I say?? The inspiration for the dress came from (believe it or not) a Boris Karloff movie! There's a scene in the movie where the leading lady walks him into a room and she's wearing the most beautiful satin gown! I just have to decide if I actually want to use satin... it's what I call a sweaty fiber, and hard to sew... we'll see.

Actually, y'all might know what I could use that wouldn't break the bank but would be a better alternative than man-made fibers! I've thought about cotton sateen or polished cotton, but I'm afraid they might be too heavy. Linen wrinkles so easily and it's so expensive... Any ideas hurled my way would be dodged, then appriciated!

Well, after work I am off to Momma's house for a visit and to pick up a few Christmas things. I plan on getting our tree tomorrow and, since Josh will be off, maybe we'll start decorating. If he hands that honor over to me, I'll just have him do the dishes. But, for now I suppose I should get this check order done and maybe get back to writing. I put my notebook down a while back with all the holiday stuff going on, but I had a flood of inspiration this morning from nowhere.

Y'all have a great day!

Pflugerville, TX

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  1:57:34 PM  Show Profile
Miranda, I intend to get my concealed carry; however, not until I have it drilled in my children's heads that it is NOT a toy and is never to be played with and is deadly. If I had gone through an armed robbery it probably would have already been done. *shiver* I hope you all have had access to some counselling or something incase any of you are dealing with anxiety.

Fabric wise, I like rayon. It breaths, it flows, you don't have to iron it......

LOL I find it so funny. You are all saying that it's the men who don't want to go to counselling. It's my husband that wants to!!! I wanted to earlier and we did, briefly. This time I'm just a little cautious. Yes counsellors can be flaming morons. Gotta choose them wisely.

Okay, I'm cautiously excited. I was talking to a lady from around here and mentioned that I might be looking for part time, at home employment. So she came up with two names of people for me to call to get a feel for what I need to do, where to go, etc. I called today and wow. Here's the deal. This lady says to me, "This might be a God thing, perfect timing" Turns out she's been doing what I want to do. stay at home momma but still working so long as it doesn't interfere with her children. She said now that her youngest is in school she may have more of a permanent position and she'd be looking to maybe drop some of her clients and she might be willing to drop them in my lap!!! So there's a chance that I could be starting up my own very small bookkeeping business and may have a few clients to start with. I'm wondering if God isn't cracking open a door so I can slip through?

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

DEW
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

Dianne
Weiser Idaho
USA
317 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  4:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

Peggy I am sorry your dog is acting up. I hope the vet can help.

Kimberly Good news about the help. Still praying for you girl.
I got excited just reading about your new car. I bet you are still on cloud 9.

Bunny I will be praying for you and the job. Standing for that long is hard on anyone and then add the fibro too it.
I don't know how you do it.

Luanne when my bread did that it was because I did not let the yeast proof long enough. I am not an expert by any means.
But i found that if I let the yeast get really foamy It would help the bread rise. The recipe I use has it raise three times.
You also need a warm spot but not hot. You want your bread to rise slow but steady.

I spent areally busy weekend. DH got the rabbit hutch built so Molly and Dolly have a home now.
I got to rake the leaves and add them to the compost. Fun! Fun! tThen we have this bush I guess you could call it a shrub.
The people who had this place before did not keep it trimmed. It was a big tangled mess and in the way of the raised beds.
So it had to go. That was soooooooooo much fun. Ha Ha
I did get some Bread baking in. Sour Dough is my favorite to make because it is hassle free.

Well I need to get moving.

Dianne (ID)
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  4:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hey all, I don't think I will ever catch up so guess I will just start over from now. I had such a busy week last week, had company come in on Wed night and not leave till Sunday and then 4 others on Fri, Sat and Sun. Love company but so glad when they left. Then woke up Monday sick. Tummy problems and a cold...feeling some better today. Stayed in bed all day yesterday. Got the rest of my swaps and barters out today and not planning on committing to ANYTHING until after Christmas. Now working on scarfs for Christmas and taking a little time out to read it is one of my greatest pass times. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I hope to get back up to speed and start commenting on everyones posts starting tomorrow....love ya all and miss ya too...leaving some sweet potato pies for ya'll

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

http://ourgeorgiafarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  6:42:02 PM  Show Profile
Farm Dream what bible study are you doing with your friend? I am always interested as I love studying it. Peggy I have not heard of yours. Wrote it down so I can look next time I go to Christian store. I love Max Lucado.

Little butterflies were better today. Tomorrow I am taking them on a field trip to see the play Charlotte's WEb. They are very excited. A day out of routine and some fun. I didn't tell them until today so they would be surprised. I do have one little butterfly who has strep throat and cant go. She is so bummed out and one little butterfly is so excited as it is his birthday tomorrow. He said what a way to celebrate. I chuckled. I think his wings were fluttering a mile a minute.

Penny hope you feel better soon. NOt fun being sick.

well my dears I am off to have some tea and good soak in bath.
love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~The View From Within
http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  8:12:12 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies :).

Tea_Lady_Tammy....my kids were a little crazy today...glad yours were better! Can't even blame it on the full moon! Happy tomorrow is Wednesday :) - which means only 2 more days of work after tomorrow. Yeah, my mind is a little weird lol.

Penny, I hope you're feeling better soon!

Idaho Dianne - you had a crazy busy weekend! Glad you got everything all done!

Kim, I hope that this all works out wonderfully for you! Sounds like you're both making an effort & that you're following God's lead.

I have some leftover birthday cake that I'm leavin' for all of ya's. I don't need it...but there's not enough for everyone at work, so I guess I have to eat it. On the plus side, it's cold enough out that I can put it on my balcony & it's the perfect temperature to be a little bit firm :). I haven't been to terribly busy as of late...but I'm going to be! Ugh. I always think I can do everything in such a short amount of time & it doesn't work lol. Oh well. I found a new pattern I want to try, for a "book thong" (http://crochetme.com/media/p/88334.aspx) and I think I might try doing that for my "Handmade-pay-it-forward-2011". I have 5 people to make for, so I figure I can do that no problem! Once I get the first one or two figured out, that is lol. Ok, I think I'm off to bed. If I can stop myself from searching through my craft stuff for beads....haha. I'm pretty sure I don't have any "big" ones, so I should just go to bed & wait until I go to Brandon next to Michael's.

Oh, here's a funny thing I saw on Facebook, hope it doesn't offend anyone:
OK girls Movember is almost ready, and BEAvember is starting! It is up to us to protect the mighty "beaver" from the cold. After all it is Canada's national animal! The furrier the better. Now it is our turn for some nasty hair growth. (We can just kep it secretly covered, and no one will ever know!)

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page