Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  1:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Me too Cherime, I want to know more about Plantain oil. I use Essential oils but I'm not familiar with Plantain.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  4:09:27 PM  Show Profile
Plantain is a funny looking little plant that grows wild up here and it is sort of like rosette splayed out on the ground and puts up one little stalk with a kind of q tip looking thing. It is wonderful for bites, mosquito or no-see-ums. Grab a leaf and chomp it a bit to get the juice flowing and plaster it on, you can rub it in and it works to take away the sting.
I think this should work http://www.google.com/search?q=plantain+weed&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=L5M&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SFeCTt2zKqnSiAKPwbnyDA&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=904&bih=753

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  4:13:27 PM  Show Profile
The oil is good for skin eruptions and such. I intend to use mine for when the occasional spider finds me at night this winter.
Thanks Peg. I plan to get the ceiling and the wall under the stairs done. I have a stair in my bathroom that goes to the 3rd floor where my plants and sewing are. Maybe you need to look into the implanted teeth a bit more. I hear that they can use stainless steel. I also understand that Mexico is the place to get all done as the price is mucho cheap.
Off and away again ladies.
Darlene, Blessings and prayers for you.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  4:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Luanne...I was on here early and responded to your post but I guess the computer god's didn't like my suggestion to you...since it didn't post it. Please keep us posted about boyfriend. He sounds like most men either extremely bull-headed and stubborn or just plain stupid when it comes to their health...I don't know which! LOL

Judy...I loved your dream...how fun we would all have together huh? Just laughing our silly heads off and eating to our hearts content! I hope there was chocolate in that dream too. lol I think we should all have
a pair of those footie jammies for our Farmgirl Retreat too don't you! I loved those and I have seen them in adult sizes too. Fun dream girl...I love it!

Cherime...I have seen that plant around here too. How do you make your plantain sauve or whatever? Or do you just dry the plant leaf and then chew it as needed?

More later...
peg

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 27 2011 4:32:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  4:43:15 PM  Show Profile
Cherime - I'll get over to the the stitching & crafting forum to check out your things asap.

Today, I've been on the phone almost ever since hubby went to work at 9 a.m.. DS just came home with flowers and a milk choc butter biscuit for me. (mmmm) I have had more attention this year than I ever remember having on my birthday. My sister called (from GA) a girlfriend (from UT), youngest DD from Santa Barbara, Gr.D, Gr.S, another Gr.S. and a local friend. Hubby is taking me out to dinner this evening.

And! I am floating on air - being lifted up by all the farmgirl birthday wishes. Thank you all - so much. I have received cards and momentos from so many ... (and, Peggy, you and my daughter ... she said my card is still sitting on her dining room table). We laugh - I will just keep on celebrating! Celebrating more than my birthday ... this year I am celebrating all these incredibly wonderful new friendships! You have actually brought me to tears with your sweetness, your kindness and your goodness. Thank you again. All of you!

Julie, you are thinking of El Cid ... where the Mexican food is so good and you can watch the birds off the encloseed "porch" in the back. I think it will be there forever. If you and your family make it back to our neck of the woods one day, please plan on checking in with me.

Kimberley, the Heritage Days sound like a lot of fun. So sorry though about the wasps! You have such a good attitude - giving thanks for the good German food at the end of the day.

Bunny, Chocolate Soup is still there in Mariposa - and I was shopping there on Saturday, too. Got some candles, cards and a few little "goodies" for Xmas presents ... and a pair of handmade earrings for me.

Angela, you are talking about implants - but not the individual type. I have both. Since I had 18 implants it was a long process for me - almost 2 years (I had to have bone grafting done - from my skull to my jaw.) But that was a few years ago now. (I talked about them on the Over Fifty Forum.) They are like my natural teeth - only better. And I now only have to go to the dentist for teeth cleaning. We joke about "no new cavities." And, yes, I can eat all the good stuff you were talking about.

Well, my day has really been my day. I have done nothing except talk on the phone and try to read "the farm" and post a bit. I'll be more productive tomorrow as, I believe, the phone will quiet down and I'll look at all that I've put off. Oops ... another call coming in from my other son. Back in a bit.

Time to just sit on the porch, rock a while, smell the jasmine, listen to the crickets and wait for DH to get home to take me out to dinner. Ahhhhhh

Thank you all, again, for a wonderful day. Love you bunches.

Sister #3284 - on her Tippie Toes - oxox, Darlys

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  5:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Darlys -

Sorry I didn't notice sooner - Happy Birthday Farmgirl !

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  6:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Luanne ... and thank you ... I, by the way, love your signature & tagline. The calls keep coming ... my other son (from Jackson, Ca) called and was interrupted by another Gr-daughter (SF) checking in who was interrupted by another Gr-son (Eugene, Or). This has truly been an "elephant ear" day. I am so blessed! Hugs back atcha, girlfriend!

That is the best ... to laugh with someone because you both think the same things are funny.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  6:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Kim - thanks for the uplifting thought about my kitchen! I'll have to remember that :). Sorry to hear you got stung - those things are nasty!

Judy - did your apple butter turn really dark, like almost burnt color? Mine did, I'm not sure if it was b/c the applesauce was really pink, or the addition of the spices combined with cooking it in the crockpot or what...but it tastes alright. So I guess we'll see how it holds up in the freezer.

Happy Birthday Darlys! Hope you have a great evening to go with your day :).

Well, I got slightly energetic tonight & made some taco soup (which would likely benefit from some tortilla chips, but I'm not going up to the store to buy) & some biscuits. Question - when making biscuits with whole wheat flour (I don't have plain white), should I be decreasing the amount? I'm never sure. They turned out alright though - I had to add more milk to them. Good with the soup. I'm leaving some of each for all of ya. Hope you enjoy it :). I should really put clothes away, but I think I'm going to relax for a bit. So maybe tomorrow.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010

Edited by - 22angel on Sep 27 2011 6:22:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  6:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Darlys! Sounds like you are having an incredibly wonderful birthday. So glad. Add my happy wishes to your list.

Hmmmm, so I've been seriously considering having honeybees and having my own honey but I'm wondering if it's a good idea now..... anybody on here familiar with honeybees and their care? Maybe if you work with them correctly and wear the correct clothing stinging isn't such an issue? I've been under the assumption that they aren't as aggressive as wasps and aren't looking for an opportunity to sting you. I'd love to have my own raw honey.

I think I'm finally coming out of whatever had me down (the venom or the allergic reaction). I'm starting to feel like me again! Even got some housework done with the help of the kids. Jackson (5) loves to help, he's a real helper and so he helped clean up the messes and vaccuumed some of the floors. I've got a pot of Basque potatoe and cheese soup on the stove. Feel free to serve yourself some and let me know if you like it!

Thanks Cherime, I'm going to look that up for sure.

The pickled eggs were a hit. So if you were interested in them, I'd encourage you to try them. Still haven't tried the pickled potatoes but I'll let you know how they turn out. I need to get busy with all my tomatoe stuff but honestly, I'm tired of preserving now.... sad huh? Still so much to do, just gotta get myself at it. I may need another pantry if I keep this up, it's getting full. :) Maybe that's what it will take to get my root cellar built.

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  8:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Darlys, so glad that you've had a great Birthday! Good for YOU Girl!
Yes Pam, my apple butter did turn out really dark and like you, I was worried about it. But you're right, it tasted wonderful.I love that I put it all in the crockpot at night and ~~presto~~ had warm apple butter for morning toast&tea! And did the house smell all preeeety....you bet it did! mmmmmmm.....
Kimberly, I know what you mean about being tired of preserving. It wears a feller out doing all that work, usually during the worst (hot spell) of the season too. Again, I wish we all lived close together somewhere so we could help each other out, ya know?
hmmmm....I'm still trying to wrap my mind around pickled potatoes......lol
Nite Porchies!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  04:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kim -

My boyfriend is a beekeeper, and for the most part his bees are not aggressive. Occasionally they get in a "tantrum" when you go into the hives to work on them, but not too often. He and I both wear full bee suits when working the hives. They are pretty easy to take care of, although in WA as here in PA you might have to hand-feed them over the winter depending on how severe the weather is there.

Good luck with them if you decide to give it a try!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  07:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies,
Just came out to rest in the glider and listen to the chatter. Miss being here again, will be praying for the needs and enjoying the stories of blessings.

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  07:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Luanne,

I was thinking, don't know if I'm thinking right, that I might take enough honey for my family and let the bees have the rest. Would that work? This way they are getting the food they worked so hard for, the food God intended them to eat; and my family is still getting good, raw, healthy, yummy honey. Would that work? Or am I terribly mistaken? How many hives would I need for a family of four who love honey? I've also been looking with interest at the Warre hives. Supposidly it's less work for the beekeeper, less honey but better quality and more of a natural way for the bees to make their honeycomb and honey than the squares they're usually given. Any take on that? I know nothing so I don't know if what I'm reading is accurate information.

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  08:13:06 AM  Show Profile
I don't know much about the Warre hives, but I know we use just the standard boxes/frames. It is really hard to tell you how much honey you will get from a single hive, because so much depends on the weather, the availability of nectar and pollen in your immediate area (1-2 mile radius), etc. You would be better off finding another beekeeper near you and talking to them about their approximate yield.

We always leave some honey in the hives for the bees, but in this area the winters are very long and very cold, so it isn't always enough. We supplement with pollen patties and a sugar candy made with sugar, Karo syrup and water and cooked down to a fudge-like consistency. It has worked well for us over the years.

Good luck!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  08:33:35 AM  Show Profile
Luanne - how is your BF? I hope he was just stiff from his fall and that nothing serious was wrong.

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  10:30:02 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon ladies. Work is slow today so I thought I'd jump on and catch up with everybody. Glad to see most of you are doing well.

Matthew was flown to Qatar (pronounced Cutter)on Sunday to have a second surgery on his right leg, surgery was done on Monday. He'll be there approximately a month and then return to his unit. Because of the long recovery time they're apparently not going to allow him to come home in November as he'd planned which I'm a little upset about. I understand the mind set since I work with the Army but why they can't let him come home for his recovery if they're not going to allow leave is upsetting to the mom in me. My youngest dd/21yo signed up for the Army three years ago and then backed out before she was supposed to ship. She's now decided she's going to join again. Not sure how I'm feeling about it right now.

Friday we went out to eat with df's sister who was giving from GA, his mom, and one of his brothers. For once they let us decide and they loved the restaurant we chose. His mom is a little stuck in her ways and he has to use the right tact with her to get her to try new things. It was an enjoyable evening out though with his family. I had two chocolate martinis - the good ones made with Godiva chocolate - so it was a very good night lol. I was going to stop at one but df said after the week I'd had last week I deserved a second one and told the waitress to get me another one. Dang but he can be sweet sometimes :O)

We went to a fiber festival Saturday with two of df's sisters, his mother, and his SIL. It was fun but way over priced IMHO so I didn't buy anything. We ate lunch there and I had the lamb sausages with vegetables. They had a dog agility demo instead of sheep herding demo for some reason and the demo was absolutely pathetic. DF watched it for 2 minutes and said "Let's go". In all the years I've done agility demos I've never seen a demo this badly put on. She had all her dogs on leashes claiming she was still training them. The dogs were so poorly trained she had to keep doing obstacles over and over. Nobody was allowed near or to touch any of her dogs at any time. We just stayed away from it while it was going on - there was plenty of tents and things to look at instead.

We're leaving for North Dakota for our vacation tomorrow. DF has a job interview on Friday in West Fargo and then another one whenever he wants to go in Moorhead. We're crossing our fingers he gets a job offer, especially one that will allow us to move there. There's a Zombie Festival over the weekend and a Scandanavian Festival too. Looking forward to a break because I'm needing it!

Take care everybody and I'll check back in early next week after I get back :O)

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  11:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Staci -

Good to hear from you. BF is really stiff and sore, but at this point I'm thinking he doesn't have anything broken. He insisted on going out on the tractor this AM to pull some logs from the woods - so he must not be hurting too bad. Men are impossible!!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies it is official, picked potatoes are GOOD!

Tammy, so if he was going to get leave before the accident shouldn't he still get it? I mean seriously he was injured in the line of duty shouldn't he be extra deserving of a break? NOT FAIR!

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  2:10:13 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly- I hear bees are pretty easy. I've read some people have a good relationship with their bees, like the bees know if they are a threat or not just by their actions. I try to remember that in the garden because we get a lot of bees, but no one has been stung. Be respectful and they will respect you, sort of mentality. Thanks for the pickled egg update!

Darlys you're right! Here's the pic I took from their porch. It was in March and there were hundreds of these little yellow birds.

We also like this Italian place.

I will definitely be in touch with you when we can go back.

Not much going on here. Just reading a book that is making me focus on realizing I can't do every craft or every job that needs to be done. I will just have to learn more patience and be content. Hoping to see my nephew play football tomorrow and maybe seeing a movie on Friday.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  4:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Julie - Yep, you were definitely at El Cid's. Is the second picture taken at DiCicco's? Kind of looks like it.

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  12:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Feeling a mixture of sadness and joy at the same time. Figured I might be able to share it with my Porchies. My bestfriend at home just had a baby boy!! JOY Out of wedlock and not the perfect situation. SAD. I knew she was pregnant but she never told me till a week before she was due because she figured I'd be disapointed and she's not happy with some of the choices she has made. My heart aches because my friend has herself in a situation she shouldn't, I've missed out on sharing this joy with her, and she's so far away. I'm going to town today to get some fleece and make a blanket for her little boy and then I'll mail some stuff up to her. She considers my parents her second set of parents so I take comfort in knowing she has them (her father has passed and she's not getting along well with her mother). When she finally did communicate with me about it I told her flat out that it didn't matter what she does I will always love her. She is my bestfriend and like a sister to me. She is Tante to my children I hope I will be Tante to hers.

Sorry to be such a downer, just needed to talk outloud I guess.

Go to Top of Page

darlystippie
True Blue Farmgirl

410 Posts

Darlys
Cupertino CA
USA
410 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  3:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Kimberley -- you are the sweetest ... the very best. And, btw, your message was an upper not a downer. Even though your friend may not be in the best of circumstances, she has something big-time going for her ... you. Congratulations, Tante!

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  4:15:17 PM  Show Profile
....now.....see there, THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout....THAT's Sisterly LOVE right there in a nutshell!!! Darlys...Good For You!!
Kimberly...Good For You!!
You Do & Say the most wonderful thing at a time of confusion!!!
Good For You Both!!
BIG ((((HUGS))) to ya both!

Julie , Love the pics...thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Tammy, I just don't understand WHY a SOLDIER injured in the line of duty ISN'T getting his WELL-DESERVED and PROMISED break to come home and assure his family(especially Mama) that he's fine and let Mama check him over and give him lots of love. Everyone knows that TLC is the best medicine for an injured soldier....or ANYONE for that matter!! Just WHAT are they playin'at anyhow?? Don't get me started.....
~~whew~~That's out there to air....now....Let's have tea!!!!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  4:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Kimberley - I agree with Darlys! You just show her you love her, regardless of some of her choices - it's not like any of us are perfect or haven't made a few bad choices along the way. And I think sending her some stuff for the baby is a great idea!

It was a busy day at work. I'm really considering going down to just 4 days a week. I don't like the fact that I'm always the one to close now (in the summer it was alternated b/c I was with the school-agers), and although I do have some help, they are still so new that I end up having to do everything anyways, and sign kids out/keep everyone where they should be & busy.

I'm looking at buying a queen size sofa bed for $350. It was on a Facebook yard sale close to where my mom is, so I sent her to take a look at it. Haven't heard anything about it yet, but I figure that's a pretty good price. Even if I have to buy some foam or boards for the mattress, it's not that bad. Then my next challenge will be getting it down here....Daaaaaaaad....can I borrow your truck?! lol (Or rather, Mom can you borrow Dad's truck??) I'm hoping that it's in good shape. I'm sick of my love seat & crappy chair.

I'm thinking I need to make a dr appt for next Friday (my day off since we are supposed to go to my brother's - in ND - for Canadian Thanksgiving). I've had a very mild ear infection since the middle of summer & it's getting worse. As well, I want to check out my iron levels. I've heard low iron levels can make you very tired. And I don't eat that much red meat (once or twice a month). Or maybe there's something else wrong with me haha. Wouldn't surprise me, with my PCOS. Anyhow. I think I better find some energy & go do something tonight. Or just sit on the couch haha.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Hidy
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Heidi
Hoffman Estates IL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  5:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Just watched a fantastic double rainbow form in the clouds...what a great light show!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page