Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  5:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Penny- I make the laundry soap in large quantities since I sell it. I only keep a gallon at my washer. Your skirt looks so cool. I think you'll have no problem making an apron. I say go for it!

Judy- I had to laugh about your cat. I always thought giving a cat a bath was dumb since they lick themselves all day. Well, now we have the wee kitten and here I am giving her a bath in the sink and talking to her like a baby. She loves taking a bath and loves to sit on the edge of the tub when someone else takes a bath.

Peggy- and everyone else...thankyou for the apron compliments. It is a cheerful thing. DH thinks I should wear it with nothing else, but that is another story!

Kimberly- Your house sounds great. I wouldn't worry about anyone who doesn't like it. They would never be satisfied anyway. They are fault finders. Some days I'd like to take a bull dozer to my house and just clear it out from one end to the other. My easiest way to garden is to cover the weeds with cardboard or weedcloth and kill them off. Once I'm growing something I use lots of mulch. It definitely keeps the weeds out. Your kids are gorgeous! Scrumptious little cheeks.

Well praise the Lord that I am home. Today was the start of tax free shopping. I took DD to the outlet mall to look for some jeans, shirts, and shoes for DH. We fought the crazy traffic, found some great deals and got everything we needed. We finished up with shopping for groceries. I let DD make most of the grocery choices like all the fruit and things for her school lunch. She was receptive to understanding that she needed to pick a 100% juice instead of a juice blend or tropical punch.

I'm off to the kitchen now. I'm not hearing a lot of progress being made toward dinner. Time to rally everyone to get busy.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  5:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
FarmDream, if I sold it I would make it in that size too...just wanted others that mentioned it know it didn't have to be made in 5 gals...lol...I wish I could sell some too...would be nice..glad you are helping others out by doing it. Thanks for the compliment on my skirt...just don't know what kind of apron to make.

FarmDream and Pam, sounds like ya'll had very busy days...bet it is good to be home and rest a spell.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile
FarmDream - Thank you. My head knows that to be true but sometimes I have to remind myself because it hurts when others are unkind. I tried to mulch but this native stuff is stubborn! I'm going to try gardening a little differently next year. Instead of long rows I'm going to do plots and then mulch around them. I think it might help. Obviously, my corn and such will still be rows but the carrots, beets etc could be done the other way. I'm going to research it this winter and come up with the "perfect" plan.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  7:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Hello porchies,
I see we have been quite chatty! But I had tea and am now caught back in the loop of the latest porch happenings!

Welcome to all the new porchies! We love having you and you will find us always here with a hug.

I have been busy putting the final touches on my classroom for my new little butterflies. I am just about ready. We start on Tuesday. I can't believe summer has gone so fast. My twins started high school this week and have adjusted well. They are getting back into the swing of things. They have their dad for one of their classes. I chuckle at that as they had me when little. But I am glad they are liking it and doing well.

We are also looking into buying a different farm acreage that is closer to our work and family. Driving 25 miles is about to do me in and especially with the boys getting their license and being so busy I practically live in my van. So could yall pray that God will open this door. We have found one we like...beautiful house..felt like home when we looked at it. We would of course have to sell our current farm...which we are making ready for selling. I have been praying on this for a year and I am trying to wait patiently but the whole process will take a while. thanks ladies.

Well I am giong to have some tea, take a warm bath, and relax. I left you some warm banana bread and chocolate cream tea. Enjoy ladies.

love to you all
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~The View From Within
http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  8:29:35 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly... I have given up on the row style of planting. I plant in wide rows. It's plot style, only longer. I put several different plants in a row, since it's so wide I get lots of plots put together. I have found 3 foot wide lets me reach the middle for weedin and such without bein too stretched out. It also allows for a lot more produce from the same amount of garden space. Research square foot gardening and think wide rows instead of squares. It's really mind blowin stuff! I just don't go quite as intense as he suggests since it would require too much feedin in my pitifully poor soil.

I see lots of pretty pictures on here! I love the pretties!

I still haven't gotten my sewin machine replaced, but I am thinkin christmas might bring one! Then I'll be able to learn and will be able to put my own pretties on here!

I'm off to get the last of my list done so I can go to bed!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  9:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone!
Angela, I hope that you get your sewing machine!
Tammy, I would love some banana bread! I hope that everything with getting a new farm!
Peggy, thank you! I love going to the mall, even if it's just to look! And, yes, school is less than a week away! Ahhhh! But I have stuff to do even before then. I have a student recruiter meeting, a Campus Ministry meeting, and I have to be there for Freshmen Fun Day to help present something. Put all that on top of rugby, and it's already a full schedule! I hope everything's well for you.
Penny, that is a darling skirt! It turned out really cute.
Kimberly, you have two cuties:)
Today was a great day! I babysat in the morning, then tonight I went to the first football game for our "brother" school with all of my friends. We had a great time, and now I'm home relaxing, waiting to enjoy my last weekend of freedom! In between everything today, I actually lost my phone! It fell out of my pocket while I was riding my bike, but someone found it, so it's back in my possession. I learned my lesson! I hope everyone has great weekends!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  12:27:20 AM  Show Profile
Penny...your skirt is darling. Looks like Spring Time and I love the colors. Thanks for mentioning the smaller quantities on the soap
making. I first typed soup then changed it...I think I would be better inclined to sticking with making soup instead of soap. I am most
interested in making some nice bar soaps though. That would be fun.

Kimberly...I can't believe those beautiful little Angels of yours would be making messes in your house...as they make memories. LOL
They look so cute in their aprons.

Madame Butterfly...I will add your new Farm wishes to my regular prayer list. I don't blame you for wanting to move in closer to work and where the kids have all their activities. That continual driving wears a body out. ~ Thanks for the banana bread and the chocolate cream tea.

Julie...when I lost 50 lbs last year, my hubby bought me this adorable sexy black apron...that I just love...for cooking and being in the garden...but I think he was thinking like your hubby. Uhuh! We know these men of ours and they aren't always thinking about filling
their stomachs with food. LOL

Angela...I hope you do get your sewing Machine for Christmas. That would make a lovely gift. Don't know when you would find time to sew with all your gardening and canning and such...but knowing you...you would work it in there somehow. LOL

Megan...Look at you girl...you are already busy with school stuff and it hasn't even officially started. Does that Surprise any of us...No!
We know that you are a little brainiac, athlete and social butterfly. Enjoy it all darling...it goes so fast.

Off to read and have a cuppa chocolate tea...myself. Sweet dreams Ladies and again...just a little reminder about our dear Darlene. Tuesday
is her Breast Cancer Surgery. She is trusting God and feels relaxed about it...let's keep praying that...she remains optimistic and sheltered underneath his mighty wings. We have to be her support group because she doesn't have much of one at home.

blessings,
Peg

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  03:45:59 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I had a lot of reading to do to catch up here! I finally got rid of the dust in the house. It just faintly smells like varnish now. Not bad - sort of "clean" smelling if you know what I mean. The moulding goes up on Monday and hopefully the painting will begin shortly after. We have had some prety bad storms here so my garden has taken a beating. I'll go check it out today.

I had my teapots to pack away - I have them lining the top shelves in my kitchen and all in my hutch. They kind of "bleed" into my living room as well. I think I have about 50 or so. I have been collecting them for over 25 years and find it difficult to part with any of them. I have a few from my time living in London (after college I had a job with UNICEF over there) and just looking at t hem brings back so many happy memories!

When everything is back in order in the house I will take lots of pictures and post. Right now it looks like a hurricane blew through.

I should be finishing up my classroom soon. I will take pictures of that as well. I think it is looking pretty good.

My mom and dad are coming back from Maine on Sunday. I can't wait to see them - they have been gone all summer. I usually go up and visit but with DD's health problems and interviewing for the job - I couldn't this year. Definitely next summer though! I am going to roast a chicken and leave it in their refrigerator Sunday morning so they have a meal in the house when they get home.

Darlene will be in my thoughts and prayers, not only Tuesday but everyday. She has a battle ahead of her but such a positive attitude and strong faith! These will help see her through.

An update on my neighbor whose husband left her on their anniversary. He has been living at his mom's all summer and spending like a fiend. He told my friend that he won't be back in October and doesn't know when he will be back. (In October he has to start paying $800 rent). They have been going to a counselor but it just seems like it is all about him. They have two sweet little angels, DD is 6 and DS is 4. It just breaks my heart to hear them ask her if she is going to need to take a "break" from them also. She just hugs them and reassures them and loves them up. It is going to be hard starting in September, she is a teacher in our local HS, so the logistics of getting two kids out the door and herself to work at practically the same time will be hard. I had a mommy moment of pride when my DD stepped up to the plate and said that she didn't have any classes in the early morning and would be more than willing to help in any way. Brought a tear to my eye!

Well my lovely porchies, I still have some packing for the painting to do and then I am going to finish up some swap projects in the craft room (my sanctuary). I hope you all have a blessed and peaceful day!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  04:53:56 AM  Show Profile
I woke up at 6am - not fun! I could have "slept in" til 7:30 at least...but nope. I'm tired, but when I woke up, I wasn't. And now on Monday, when I do need to get up, I won't want to & will stay in bed til 6:35 & almost be late for work :s. Blah.

I'm trying to make a list of things that I want from the store. I'm going to attempt to find the stuff for clothes soap. I know there was more stuff that I wanted but I don't know where that list is or what was on it.

It's my niece's 4th birthday party today. I'm not able to go. I was going to go with my sister & her kids, but she can't go now either. My car is slowly dying (I need a new converter on it & am hesitant to pay the $500 plus it will cost with the mechanic. My dad can pick one up for lots cheaper, but I'm not sure when he's going back to that place.) & so I'm not sure I want to take it that far. My mom & dad can't go either....so I think my brother & his family should just make a trip up here to see everyone. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  06:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Morning Porchies,

Thanks everyone for the kinds words about my skirt...first thing I've made in years.

Tammy, will keep your farm dream in my prayers...hope it works out for you. Thank you for the banana bread and tea...so sweet of you to share.

Angela, Hope Santa brings you the machine you want for Christmas. My Mom loved her sewing machines and sergers. She left one to me and one to my sister when she died. They were an Elna and Phaff. I have always been intimidated by those sewing machines. I got her Phaff. I remember the day she bought it and how excited she was. She said, I can't believe I really spent THAT much on a sewing machine...then she would grin that sweet grin of hers...I have a pic I am going to post. It is my favorite and the one I carry in my wallet and also the one that is in my locket too. I think it was 2003. She was already sick, but still a good pic.

WOW Megan, you are going to be so busy. But just the little I have learned about you in the last few weeks, you can handle it...NO PROBLEM!!! lol. Enjoy your last week of freedom.

Peggy, I will keep Darlene in my prayers and send her "a little pretty" that is what my Momma used to call something you gave someone just to make them smile and let them know you care.

Elaine, You sound like a wonderful daughter doing that for you Parents. Your teapot collection sounds wonderful. I have always wanted some great teapots..always liked them. Please include them in your pics when you take them of your house. I really would love to see them. Maybe even a story or two of them, like the ones you got in London. I will keep your neighbor in my prayers, bless her and her children. Her husband has no idea the damage he is doing to their children. So said that they are afraid their Mom will "take a break" from them too...

Pam..Isn't funny how we get up early when we don't have to but struggle when we have too...good luck Monday with that..lol..If you have an ACE hardware around, that is where I found the fels naptha bar at. They also had the washing soda and borax too. My grocery store has everything but the bar.
Maybe your brother and family will surprise ya'll with a visit.

Well, here it is another Sat morning. Remember the friend of 30 years I told ya'll about awhile back..well anyway. She wanted to know if "WE" DH and me wanted to meet to ride motorcycles today. Told DH to call her BF because I'm not making plans with her anymore just so I can be hurt when she cancelled. If he wanted to make plans I would go but at least she wouldn't be breaking them with me. I know sounds petty but she has been doing this so much this year...that I don't want to get excited about getting together just to be let down. They live 2 1/2 hours away so it's not like we see them alot. I am one that believes if you make plans you should stick to them...I think the "change" has screwed with her head...oppps sorry, guess that wasn't nice but dang she is 6 months younger to me and just acting weird lately...ok enough of that will let ya know if she STICKS to the plan this time or not...lol...have a great day and hope you enjoy the pic of my Mom...see that smile...melts me every time...

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

Edited by - Acelady02 on Aug 20 2011 06:06:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  10:31:50 AM  Show Profile
Penny...you and mama are both beautiful women! You both have the same pretty smile and twinkle in your eyes and you can easily tell that you are mother and daughter. Lovely Picture. I see why you miss her so much...she looks like a warm and friendly soul. Sweetheart for sure.

Elaine...I too wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of your teapots also. ~ I think your neighbors husband is a toad. It makes me angry...what he is doing to his children. Kids always blame themselves for their parents seperation/divorce/actions whatever. I don't
care how old or young they are. She needs to tell them often that they did nothing wrong that daddy just left because he doesn't love mommy
any more but he still loves them (whether he acts like it or not).

Pam...sorry that you are having car troubles. I think most cars suck money faster than they suck down gasoline. Sorry you can't make it to the birthday party...family times are so special.

Well, I got up and walk both dogs, took a shower, ate breakfast and now I am getting tired all over again. Think I might go rest a bit.
Hubby is still in bed so...why not!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  3:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly- I do raised beds because I'm too lazy to dig. I put 4-6 inches of mulch on top after plants have sprouted, etc. I like the square foot gardening method. I also went to smartgardener.com and got a free garden plan with layout. It's kind of fun to play around with it.

Tammy- I hope your new farm wishes come true. I hate those long commutes.

Megan- Get plenty of rest with that busy schedule. Glad you got your phone back. What a hassle that would've been.

Peggy- Haha! Isn't that the truth about men. However, DH and I have never been as chaperoned as we are now with DD5. Can't wait till school starts and we don't have to worry about hearing the pitter patter of little feet at an inopportune moment.

Elaine- I'm sorry your friend is still going through such hard times. Single moms I've talked to have always said organization is key. If the kids can eat breakfast/lunch at school then she should let them so it's one less worry until she's comfortable with having a job and the kids on her own. Also having clothes ready the night before helps. I've taken other hints from single moms like having a schedule for when dinner, bath time, story time, and bed time will be. The kids know what to expect and when.

Pam- I hate car problems. They are such a pain in the you know what. You should be able to find clothes soap stuff in the laundry soap aisle.

Penny- I love your pic with your mom. So sweet.

Today I took DD to a children's museum where they were celebrating kindergartners going to school. She got a free t-shirt, face painting, a balloon animal of her choice (a dog on a hat), a shoe tying workshop which she still can't do , bus safety lessons, hand washing, and teeth brushing.

Afterward we met up with DH and went to the pool. This is special because we have a river right next to the pool that is free to swim in so we've never gone to the pool. She loved it and I was impressed with her swimming skills. She does a very nice "CANNON BALLLLLL!!!"

I've been put on call for work tomorrow. So I will most likely have the day off unless someone calls in sick. If I'm free then I will just catch up on stuff around here and get ready for the big school day.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  5:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Got my clothes soap made! Amazingly, I found all of the stuff at WalMart (I wasn't sure, after reading comments on various sites about finding all the stuff). I'm not sure I really super like the smell of the Fels Naptha, but the clothes smell cleaner. I may try Ivory next time, or the Snow bar (I think I saw that somewhere). It was all super cheap, compared to the bottled stuff (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda @ $3.24, Borax @ $3.36, Sun Oxygen Cleaner @ $1.96 & 2 bars of Fels Naptha soap @ $0.97 each), and I have tons left over of everything (except the soap, but that's alright!) so it will last for a very long time, I'm sure! I also added some grapefruit essential oil, but it doesn't seem to add any smell. Maybe the Fels Naptha smell is just too overpowering for essential oils. The hardest part I had was grating the soap (I used a microplane grater), then mixing it all together in the magic bullet (2 scoops in there seemed to work best) twice, just to make sure it was all mixed up real good. It didn't take all the stains out (but most of the clothes have been dried in the dryer & the stains aren't really noticeable on the outside, just on the inside). Wishing I had a clothes line to hang stuff on, I would love it! As it is, they are on a "portable closet rack"...so I guess it's not too bad.

I found a small cooler for $9 that is so cute & adorable! It's blue with polka dots on it :). I also found a new wallet for $4 & the card game "war" for I think it was $4 too. I bought some canning jars (Ball quilt design 8 oz jars) that I'm probably going to freeze stuff in (they say "freezer safe") since I now have a deep freeze (yay!) and I'm not too sure of the whole canning process by myself anyhow. Besides that, all the canning stuff is at my mom's & I don't have anywhere to put it. All in all, it was a pretty good day :).

I hate car problems too - and really my car is old enough that I should replace it...but I don't think I drive it often enough to warrant getting a "new" one. If I was to move, then yes, I would have to get a new one. But I probably wouldn't be able to afford both a house/farm & a new vehicle. I think my car is alright for now, but I still don't trust it that far.

Penny - that picture is great! I'm so happy you have an awesome picture like that :).

Julie - I hope you get your day off! In my experience, whenever I was on call, I always got called in :(. I really didn't like it. And it wasn't like you could do much of anything, since you were just waiting for the phone to ring (this was before cell phones were the norm).

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  6:53:45 PM  Show Profile

Stacie...I got the adorable Christmas Ornament today. So clever using the Christmas in July Theme with uncle sam and santa. Looks so cute
with my other Farmgirl ornaments. Thank You! I also loved your Tea Story about your Grandmothers. You are a very expressive writer and I
just so enjoyed the little bit of Family History. I didn't really know my grandmothers very well...but what I did know...they were not very warm and friendly women. Nobody that you would want to immulate as you grew up. So, once again I love hearing about strong female bonds in some families.

Pam...Good for you on the soap making.

Julie...for my DH and I we are chaperoned by our dogs. LOL They are worse than children.

Well...my stomach is protesting for some dinner, so I am off to grab my left-overs from dinner out
last night.

I am leaving you some Cheesecake Cookies on the Porch and some Peach Iced-Tea.

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 21 2011 12:49:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  8:15:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi sisters!
Peggy, I will be sure to be cherish all my fabulous moments this year! And I'm glad that we can be here for Darlene during this time in her life.
Staci, I also received your ornament today. How cute! It was a delight to get it in the mail today!
Julie, I definitely will get some rest:) And I'm glad that your DD loved swimming! I know I do.
Penny, you and your Mom make a good-looking mother and daughter!
Elaine, it sounds like your daughter is a sweetie!
Today was a relaxing day. Nothing much else! I hope everyone else has a good Sunday!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2011 :  10:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Hey LadyBugs! I've missed you all soo much. Things have been way beyond busy around here. Kids are back in school. My oldest is in marching band this year so I'm running her to practice 3x's a week. My son is still in scouts. The cleaning service is completly booked. I started cleaning the church last week and I love it! Mary Kay is taking a flying leap off the ground. I held two parties today and have another tomorrow and one on Monday. Plus I may have my first recruit.

Peggy~ I have been thinking about what you said about my upcoming marriage. Haven't had time to sit and yap. I don't think it's so much that I'm unwilling to give up my independece as it is I'm not so great with change. I'm not saying that I can't deal with change, it just makes me nervous. I get in a routine and get settled and then when something happens it sets me in a little funk till I learn a new routine. I'm looking at 2 more members being added to my little family so that means 2 more to feed and all else that goes with that. Plus it will mean an overhaul on the budget and a new schedule for bill paying. Nothing I can't handle, just makes me nervous till I get situated. It will really mean new routines for all of us. DF and I talked about it some the other day. It was kind of sad how the conversation came about. We had been chit chatting about everyday things for maybe 10 minutes and I dozed off while he was mid-sentence. He of course found it a little amusing at first that I drifted off that fast and was snoring. Then he wanted to know why I was so tired so I explained, really explained everything that I have been doing or trying to do. Guess he didn't realize how much I have on my plate. We did some talking about household chores and things and some expectations. I'm sure there's still more to discuss, but it is a start.

Well girlfriends it's really late. I better go get some sleep.

Night, night,
Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  12:43:50 AM  Show Profile
Melanie...Exactly what you needed to do... you just have to have those hard discussions that are brutely honest conversations about expectations...and household chores, and money and raising kids (His method of discipline verses your methods)and all those things that come along with a marriage and blending of families. It is harder with a second or third marriage than with a first. With Blended Families...there are more stressors and I have yet to see there not be issues with disciplining the other persons child or children. And the ex-spouse always comes in to play. It is like when you marry your DF you also take on his child, and his ex-wife and he yours.
Anyway...I am sure it will all work out for you just fine...as long as you communicate well on these subjects before you tie the knot.
And you are getting busier and busier now with your new church job, and your new Mary Kay business...be sure and make "ME" time for yourself. All work and no play...makes for falling asleep in mid conversation. LOL

Megan...It seems like we were just singing..."Schools out for Summer" with you and here it's already starting back up. Where did the summer go??? Have a Blast girl and keep sharing your busy life with us. You are a complete joy and blessing.

Short but sweet tonight girls! I am tired too Melanie.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  08:26:31 AM  Show Profile
A lot to catch up on here. Kim those little guys are a couple of cuties. Also you might get a jump on spring if you spread over the areas where you want to garden anything that could knock down the grass and weeds, old tarps, rolled roofing that way when spring comes you sort of have a head start on destroying it. Couple of years ago we put a garden in where there was massive wild stuff. Used those cherry wood timbers for raised beds and got a really good harvest from that community garden.
Well ladies off to church for me and I am making strawberry rhubarb jam with all fresh out of the garden stuff for later. I'll bring some along and hugs to all.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  09:43:04 AM  Show Profile
Staci, I got your farmgirl mail yesterday too. Thank you so much for the cute ornament and tea. I can't wait to try it.

Pam sorry about your car problems. I just put two used tires on my car. Couldn't afford new ones. They told me I needed new rear brakes.. cost: $300.00. Not going to happen for a while.

Melanie, I'm glad your cleaning work and Mary Kay are doing so well. Good for you for talking to DF. I made the big mistake of not doing any of that with my second. It was a terrible marriage all the way around. Sounds like you need some me time.

Penny, I envy you with your mom. You guys look so happy in that picture.

Kimberly, cute picture of your kids. I bet they keep you busy! Wonderful of you to have such great helpers.

I joined our local quilt guild yesterday. Lots of ladies to get to know.
I have 6 kids in my class on Monday. They had so many sign up requests that they decided to teach an afternoon class. But they didn't ask me to teach it.. bummer. I could have really used the money. The owner and another lady that works there are going to teach it.
Not much else going on. Sewing as usual today. Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday and good start to the new week.

later Porchies!

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  12:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Happy Sunday Gals!
Peg, it was the song I was Twisting & Shouting to! LOL But I like all his movies too. He was a good actor as well as a singer!
Ummm....what's texas turtle coffee like?
Penny, love that skirt fabric!So lite&Pretty.Your Mama sounds like mine, she could(when her eyes were good)make anything, even when we weren't home to be measured. She would just take something out of our drawer and use it as a pattern, Now THAT'S a great seamstress! LOL
I love your pic of you and your Mama! Such lovely ladies, both!
Kimberly, our old house is for living in, not picture takin'.lol ...and we love it that way. We even have a "basement" not a rec.room! We have one dirt room left down there too. Your kids are so adorable. Is that a cowboy apron on him? I love it. Need another pic of it.
Julie, so...you have a "water-cat" like we do. That's what we call him because he loves to play in water. Since he was a kitten we've had to keep the toilet lid down, and he loves to sit on the bathtub rim and watch humans splash in a tub. lol But if you sprinkle water on him....~~zoom~~ he's gone! Go figure! I think he knows that it means Mom & Dad are mad at him! hahaha
Your husband sounds like a typical man...and a real corker!! hahaha
Tammy, I'll keep your new dream-house in my prayers and also the sale of your present home!
Chocolate tea...Davidsons tea? I'll have to check for that one.
Elaine, You are a good daughter to make food and have it waiting in the fridge for your parents. That is so thoughtful. What a wonderful daughter you raised, she gave me goosebumps, offering her time like that. She reminds me of our oun sweet Megan. Young Gals with BIG hearts! May God Bless them both!
Mel, good for you getting things said NOW, when it's really importantHe needs to know your concerns. It's a shared deal after all, marriage, raising kids!
Staci, really liked that tea. Got 2 mugs out of it. The aroma was wonderful. I have been off my teas during summer, so now I'll be starting to drink some since fall is coming on. I go thru cycles ...spring-summer/coffee...fall-winter/tea...dunno why!
Well, we had t-storms at 6:30 and 8:30 this morning and a couple of hard rains this afternoon, so all smells fresh and clean and temps are 82/constant breeze...all in all, a beautiful Sunday, in my opinion!
Make it a great day Gals!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  2:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Well, I went out to my grandpa's farm & found that there were no crab apples left :(. I think the deer ate them, b/c there are hardly any left on the ground either. And there is flat grass all around the trees. There are some jelly crabs, so I may attempt to make some apple juice with the few I did get. There weren't that many though. I'll have to go out to my cousin's place & pick hers soon, before they're all over-ripe & not good anymore. We'll see what tomorrow brings. There weren't any chokecherries either, not that I can do a whole lot with the chokecherries, since whenever my mom or I attempt chokecherry jelly, it's always syrup instead :s. Oh well.

My cousin is a "bad influence" on me haha. Every time she comes out to my grandpa's farm with me, she says "You should move out here. It's a beautiful yard, it's sheltered, you could finally have your own place....", and then it gets me thinking that I could do it....but I don't know. I would really like to, it's just a matter of being able to make it work. And, too, it's about 20 minutes from work, so I'd have to take into consideration gas, possibly a different vehicle, groceries, electricity, phone, new well, not to mention someone to snowblow the lane in the winter....something to consider, definitely, but not sure it's something I want to attempt by myself/on my own. We'll see what God has in store for me.

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  3:48:57 PM  Show Profile
oooooo Pam...what a great possibility! Exciting! Dare to dream...find a roommate with the same dream. There's a thread on here somewhere, "A Farm of My Own, I think, where people are looking for other people to share(work)farms with them. If I were single, I'd do it...in a heartbeat! I will never(NOT)be adventurous!! Always thinking ahead.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  5:09:11 PM  Show Profile
It would be very cool to be able to do it Judy. I think if I wait for a husband/boyfriend, it may never happen! There is a lot of work to be done on the old farmstead, especially considering that it hasn't been lived on/taken care of for the past 2 years. It's not like I want a huge super duper farm...all I want, really is for it to be self-sustaining & workable, where I can take the summer/fall off & tend to animals/garden & be self-sufficient. I couldn't find the thread that you were talking about, but I'll keep looking :). It won't likely happen for a long time...but dreaming is free, right? I have to talk to my parents about it too, since technically, they can't "sell" the farm until my grandpa dies (which, as my sister says, will be in about 90 years from now!).

Now I really want to go look at houses to move onto the farm....oy. Not sure I want a trailer to move into, or if I would rather have something made specifically for me....or what. It's gonna cost money either way, so.....I don't know. Guess I can dream, then alter it if I need :p.

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  9:28:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi everybody!
Melanie, I'm so happy that things are going so well for you!
Peggy, I promise to keep sharing my days with you! I love coming here everyday! You ladies have so much wisdom.
Bunny, I'm glad that you got a good class size, but also sad they won't let you teach the other class But I'm glad that nothing majorly bad is going on with you! I wish nothing but light to be sent your way!
Pam, that would be so cool if you could move onto the farm! I hope you're able to do it!
Tomorrow is the beginning of the craziness that will be my sophomore year! I hope everyone has great Mondays full of light and happiness!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  9:42:47 PM  Show Profile
Pam, you should check out the tiny house blog. I have been checking it out for a long time now. They blog about small houses... like really small. Some under 400 square feet. I know you do meters.. ummm that would be about 37 square meters. I have seen houses under 600 square feet or a little over 55 square meters that I could totally live it and feel very comfortable. They aren't cheap of course, costs more per square foot (or meter). But still cheaper than a large house. Check out www.tinyhouseblog.com. Maybe you'll find something that will inspire you. One of my favorites is Texas tiny houses and Reclaimed space. Both are in Texas, but the houses they build especially on the inside are really amazing.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page