Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  11:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Bunny, that's awesome! I'll pray that you get that job!
Elaine, it does seem like my visit went really quickly! I'm glad that things are going well in your classroom.
Kimberly, welcome welcome! I hope you find a comfy spot here on the porch everyday! How old are your kids?
Julie, post pictures please! I've always been interested in taking up sewing. Someday soon!
Penny, I definitely had a good time!
I made it home safely! I'm glad to be home, and now I need to spend some quality time with my Mom. So that's what I'm doing! I hope everyone has a great Friday!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  07:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Tracy - THe Haz Mat suit idea is hilarious.

PeggyAnn - Basically that's what it came down to. His radiator cracked in his Blazer and the first thing df said was I'll help you when you get your room cleaned up. IT's clean, but who knows for how long.

I'm feeling better today. Migraine lasted 4 days. I got my layoff notice from the company I'm contracted with which definately didn't help. Received a call from one of my coworkers who had spoken with the Army liason. From what she was able to find out is the contract has been awarded to another company BUT they're cutting the hours to 30 hrs/wk. We're supposed to be contacted by close of business today if the new company wants to keep us. Haven't heard from them yet so I'm a bit concerned they might decide to dump those of us that have been here a while so they can hire cheaper labor. They never bother to think about the loss of knowledge when they do it, it's all about the money unfortunately. We shall see.

Tonight we're going to an adoption celebration/bbq. Df's sister adopted two of her foster kids; 11 yo boy and 14 yo girl. Today their adoption will be official finally. I give them credit, I don't think I'd be adopting kids when I'm in my 50's and a grandparent already. Should be fun to hang with the family for a bit.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  08:19:05 AM  Show Profile
Julie, a great way to make your seams match is to iron the seams on one row to the left and the next row to the right. When you match up the seams they should buddy up to each other. You can peal back the edges to check. Then put a pin to hold each side of the seams down. Pull them out as you sew. You will find your seams match up much better that way. If you decide to do the quilting yourself, purchase "warm and natural" batting in the size you need and a basting spray called "505" a small can will last you a while. Lay the batting down first and lay the backing on it. Fold it back half way spray the batting and fold back. If the quilt is large, get some help. Then fold the other side and spray. Then flip it over and do the same thing with the top of the quilt. If it gets a fold in it.. you can pull it back and try again. Also, use a clear nylon thread for the top (only in the top) and stitch a 1/4" on each side of your seam. If you use warm and natural you can leave up to 7" unquilted. Tying a quilt is quick and easy but doesn't hold it together very well. I can also put you in touch with a "long arm" quilter that could do the quilting for you. It does get costly for large quilts but a lap size quilt can cost about 60.00 to have quilted. Let me know how it goes. Note: Walmart has a basting spray that is terrible! If you can't find 505, maybe order it from the internet. It is worth it's weight in gold. It doesn't have a bad smell and works!
That's your quilting lesson for today.

Elaine, I have thought about doing webinars, but I don't think I have a very good camera and I don't have anyone to hold it for me. I wish there was a class at the college for that. I would love to take it.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  09:48:17 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the warm welcome! It's so nice to "meet" ladies all over that are old fashioned farm girls too. I look forward to getting to know all of you better.

My children are 5 and 3 1/2 years old. The lights of my life and the reason for my exhaustion. :)
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  4:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh Bunny! Thanks for your suggestions. You know that's exactly what I did about the seams. I also hand sewed it in that spot to make sure nothing would slide. I wouldn't say it's completely perfect but not too shabby for the first project. I am doing the quilting myself on this one because this massive quilt is about 14 inches by 14 inches I will remember about the spray. For this I just bought regular old batting but I did see the one you're talking about. I didn't get to work on it today because I did other projects.

I posted about a badge check off list in Across the Fence. I also posted about turning my hallway into a craft room on Keeping in Touch.

Megan- I'm not sure I can post pics of me sewing. Those usually consist of me cursing at the sewing machine (Darn you dumb machine!) I will post my finished work when I get to that...hopefully next week.

Right now we are still seeing no rain. We are counting down the days till school starts. It's been a long summer and frankly I can use the break of having DD at school. Give Momma some peace and quiet! It'll give me time to focus on ramping up business stuff for the fall.

Gotta work the weekend, so I'll pop in here and there.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  4:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Bunny.....find a college kid that's interested in film and photography, willing to film for you just for the experience! It's a win win situation for both of you! :)

Welcome Kimberly......glad you could join us here on the porch......there are moms, grandmoms, singles, marrieds, widows, divorcees...young, old........an absolute plethora of knowledge and experience. If you have a question.....someone on the porch will probably be able to answer it. Kids...boys or girls?

Darlys......totally gorgeous quilt.

Julie...congrats on the first quilt.....I'm going to have to find a pic of my first quilt!

Megan....what day do you start school?

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  5:26:13 PM  Show Profile
Mel... the five year old is a rambunctious, never stopping, rough and tumble, compassionate boy. The 3 1/2 year old is a darling, diva, drama queen, precious, adorable girl.

It's wonderful to see so many people quilting. My mom quilts and so does her cousin but me and sewing machines are not on friendly terms. Mom taught me when I was young but I hated it so much she gave up. So I know the basics but I can be in the best mood of my life, sit down to a sewing machine and in about 5 minutes be ready to destroy the innocent machine. So I leave the sewing to my mom, who does an excellent job and pray that my daughter who is a mini of my mother becomes a seamstress.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  7:54:33 PM  Show Profile
It seems awhile since I was here last...been kinda busy. Last weekend was my cousins' wedding & so I had my mom, my sister, my niece & my nephew here for the weekend (til Monday morning). Then I spent all of Monday cleaning b/c there were people coming to look at all of the apartments b/c they are interested in buying the building from the current owners. I figured even if the rest of the apartment was clean, my room should be cleaned too! So I took things out to the dumpster, tried to reorganize some rubbermaid containers (haha - good luck with that one!), took things out to the car to take to my parents' place....and didn't stop all day!

On Wednesday, I got to visit with one of my dear friends whom I haven't seen since I probably met her (she was my camp counselor when I was young)... it was a good visit. I wish we lived closer. Then the rest of this week was just busy trying to stay ahead at work. Kind of hard to do since I didn't get any planning time last week & I'm not good at random, on the spot thinking! Today I stayed later so that I could sweep the floor & vacuum the carpets & wash out the garbage can (since no one can make sure that the bag is up properly!). But it's all cleaned & ready for Monday morning now.

Two more weeks until I have some holidays - woohoo! I'm going to go camping, do some crocheting & probably some embroidery/quilting....get a massage....and just relax!

Have a good night all!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  8:49:32 PM  Show Profile
O man, I'm tired. I took Mama grocery shopping today. She hasn't done that since.....uhhhh....well....a long while. She can't deal with heat&humidity, so we were waiting for it to break. And she can't hardly hear anymore and her sight is really bad since an eye Dr. botched her cataract surgery a couple years ago, and, and, and.... Ya...I'm too pooped to pop! We had my poor 'lil Beetle loaded down, trunk, back seat, back floor....hahaha.....she needed everything. Poor Mama! I just have to pick up a couple more items for her that we couldn't find, and she'll be set for quite awhile!
Tracy, I had bronchitis back in November. No fun at all. I still have a cough, especially in this humidity and I'm still using an inhaler(that thing is a Blessing), but the antibiotics and codeine cough syrup really helped. I still have some of that syrup. I only used it at bedtime of course, so it stretched a long ways. Feel Better Girl!
Welcome to the porch Kimberly. Pull up a board and join us anytime.
Well, I'm all done for today. Sorry, not very talkative tonight. Ma talked me out! lol
Nity-nite!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to all the new porch ladies. I'm starting to have a hard time keeping up with all the names! I'll work on it bit by bit.
A very interesting thing happened today. My old boss called. I had been thinking about the best way to get her to pay me the money she owed me. I was a bit worried she would bail on me. So, I thought... kill her with kindness. I sent her an email telling her I knew we had not parted on the best terms but thanked her for the opportunity to work in her shop. That it had helped me meet people in the community and earn much needed income. I told her I didn't ever burn a bridge when possible and I hoped if we ever saw each other again.. and I knew we would, that we could be supportive of each other.
Well, she called today to tell me she was trying to raise the money to pay me and would I be interested in teaching at her shop in the fall. I of course said yes. I figure I can schedule my classes on the weeks she doesn't work. It will of course be determined by how soon I get paid after a class.. but I figure it can't hurt. So thankfully she took the high road and we are OK and at least on speaking terms again. I figured this town is just too small for us to have issues.

Anyway, not much else to report. Sewed all day. Ended up ripping out everything. I didn't like the thread color on the quilting. Tomorrow I'll have it down.

Anyway, have a great weekend!
Later farmgirls!

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2011 :  10:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Judy, it's okay if you're all talked out!
Pam, sounds like it was a good week for you!
Mel, I start school on the 24th! I'm pretty excited.
Julie, don't scare me off from learning how to sew! Is it truly that hard to get started?
Tammy, I'm glad you're feeling better!
Today was a good day. I had a doctor's appoinment with my orthopedic surgeon, and he said my knee looks a-ok! All ready for rugby on Tuesday! Then we visited my cousin, who had his adnoids and tonsils removed on Tuesday. He's only 5, and he's been really uncomfortable. But it was a good visit, and I'm going to spend time with my middle cousin tomorrow. I always love spending time with her. I hope everyone has super Saturdays!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  12:23:36 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly...WELCOME TO THE PORCH and Pam welcome back! This is the BEST place to come...because it is a SAFE PLACE to open up and share.
You will see the more often you come and get to know the different women. ~ Kimberly I think you and I are Kindred Spirits when it comes to sewing and sewing machines. I have a sewing machine phobia...I wonder if there is really a name for this illness???

Bunny...good for you being a fence (or bridge) mender! That takes a lot of Woman to extend the hand of courtesy & forgiveness to someone who hasn't earned it. But then it wouldn't truly be forgiveness if they deserved it would it? I really respect your style Farmgirl!

Megan...Three Cheers for your healed leg!!! Rugby here she comes! Now don't go getting it injured again....be good to yourself!

Judy...come on...You talked out? I don't believe it! You can't kid a kidder girlfriend! Now...the shopping might have worn you out!
I never thought I would ever get tired of shopping but I have learned it is possible! LOL Joking aside...come some rest girl!

Mel..great suggestion about the college student for filming...for Bunny! Great Idea!

Pam...it sounds like your Holiday time is going to be packed full of fun things to do. So, packed you may need a vacation from your
vacation. lol Isn't that always the way!

Well My Lovely Porchies I am headed off to my bed and a good read. More Later...

Here is a beautiful thought to sleep on:
The love we give away is the only love we keep! ~ Elbert Hubbard

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Aug 13 2011 12:26:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  05:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Bunny - do you match your thread color to the material when you're quilting? I was told when I made my first quilt (it was a 5th year 4-H project, so I was about 13/14 at the time) to always use white. So that's what I do now. Easier to see the stitches if I have to take them out, and easier to remember "white" as compared to color names or numbers on the thread, if I have to get more.

Peggy - I'm going to be doing the crocheting/embroidery while I'm at the lake. Especially if I go by myself, I'm not a big fisher (I don't like baiting the hook, trying to take the hooks out of the fish, & I can't clean them anyhow), and there really isn't a whole lot to do. I may go swimming a few times, but the camping is more or less about sitting & relaxing when I go by myself. (Let's hope the bears stay away!)

Megan - I have to get my tonsils out - I'm hoping about the week before Christmas so that I can get 3 weeks off (we get the week off between Christmas & New Years, and I want to take the week after that off as well). I haven't heard when I get them out yet.

I think today is going to be a relaxing kind of day. Well, after I get all my stuff done: dishes, laundry, tidying up (thankfully there isn't a lot to tidy up).....

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  09:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi all,
Well as before my girlfriend back out of our lunch date...will I ever learn, doubtful we have been friends almost 30 yrs...guess I will never learn. Anyway, its ok...I had more time to finish my yo yo's..I have 4 more then I have to put buttons on the ones that wanted buttons. I'm so proud of my self...lol...learning something new. Last night received an email that had a woman doing felting...never knew what it was but she makes dolls by doing this...got me very interested...After our next real estate sale, I might have to buy one of her kits with the dvd's and see if I can do it...looks like fun..

Megan, glad you are home safe. Take it easy playing rugby..don't want to hurt yourself again.

Tammy, so glad your migraines have gone away. I used to get them and they are no fun but mine weren't has bad as yours. Hope you don't get anymore. I hope things work out about your job..that has to be stressful not knowing. Hope you had fun at the adoption party, I'm with you, can't imagine doing that at my age either..congrats to them.

Bunny, I hope you do the webinars, I sure would like to see it...it is nice of you to help us newbies..thanks
I am glad to see that your old boss has come around...see she realizes she needs you to help her..isn't that the way things go...be proud of yourself for taking the high road.

Kimberly, I love the way you described your children...you should be so afraid of the sewing machine...maybe you tried to doing a project that was to advanced, try something very very simple and I bet you will like it.. my Momma was an expert at sewing...she could make anything. One of the first things she taught me to make was a bag which was so easy after that she taught me to make a square bottom bag, and so on, it made me love to sew. It was someting to see the fabric turn into something useful.

Pam, I'm not sure we have met can't remember since I'm new and have enjoyed meeting everyone. I love going camping but haven't done it in years. But DH says since we moved here to the deer camp it is kind of like camping everyday... We are lucky enough to have a pond so I get to go fishing. I can put bait on and take off all fish except catfish..but since that is mostly what I catch I have been trying to do that too..just don't like it when I get stuck by the little boogers... Enjoy your time either way. I still have my tonsils so I don't know what you will have to go through but I do wish you the best on it. Sound like you have the time worked out so you will have time to recoup...

Judy, it is so good of you to help your Momma out like that. I sure wish mine was still here. I'm sure she enjoyed being able to talk to someone...so guess both of you are TALKED out...My FIL cataract surgery was messed up too. He has a lot of trouble seeing out of that eye and now they want to do the other and he says NO WAY. Bless your Mom...

Peggy, I have 4 more yo yo's to do...couldn't have done it without you...thanks again. I love the quote you posted...thanks for sharing.

I'm off to finish my yo yo's and then get my swap box together...I found some great things to put in it. Have a great day porchies...leaving some homemade lemon ice cream to help cool off the hot day.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  09:12:25 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone.
Peggy, ok if you and sewing machines don't get along. You do so many other awesome things. We each know what moves our creative soul.

Pam, I don't always match my thread. You really don't see it. The only thing is I don't use white thread on black or really dark fabrics and black thread on really light fabrics. Otherwise, use whatever. I find a nice middle of the road grey works good on everything. I agree with you on the fishing. I don't have a problem with the hook. I just don't really like to eat fish. I know people that say they do catch and release.. what torcher on the poor fish.

Megan, I'm so glad you enjoy your cousins. I got my tonsils out when I was 5. I remember lots of coloring books, my favorite stuffed animal and lots of ice cream. I'm so glad your leg is healed. Now go out there and have fun!

Judy, I know how much mothers can wear you out. Nice to get it all done in one day! Shopping with my mom wears me out as she has to go to all the discount grocery stores first, then the dollar store. We probably go to 5 different stores to do grocery shopping. Then I bring it all in and put it all away. She is going to have shoulder surgery in September and I'll be doing everything except bathing her. I told her she had to find someone else to do that.

Welcome Kimberly. Don't feel bad about not getting the sewing gene. I have seen it skip generations many times.

Thanks for the idea on the student film maker. I'm going to be taking classes so I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open.

Tammy, I'm so sorry about the migraine. 4 days is toooo long. Bummer about the job too. But I think you were prepared for all this.. are you still thinking about moving to North Dakota? Funny that you were able to work a good exchange for helping your son. Maybe he will figure out when he needs something, his room needs to be clean. He just needs a little extra training.

Well, I need to get my morning in gear. I had to sleep on what to do with the quilt from yesterday. I think I have it worked out.

Enjoy your day everyone!

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  3:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello Porchies!

Welcome to our new gals! You are going to love it here on the Porch! Such a wonderful place to come and sit a spell. Whew !I had to read up to see how everyone is doing.

Tammy~ 4 days of a migraine? That is suffering girl! I don't know how you did it.

Bunny~ I am glad that you reached put to Boss Lady (although no one could blame you if you didn't). You seem at peace with it - so I am glad for you. Hopefully she will come through with the money she owes you. And if you can teach some classes in the fall and make some extra money - more power to you!

Megan~ Believe it or not I am almost 46 and I still have my tonsils! For years they have been threatening to take them out --but I am a big chicken.

Today is my 23rd Anniversary. It was a nice day. Our gift to one another was getting our wooden floors redone so we were packing up things and moving furniture. They are going to start on Tuesday so we are trying to get evrything out of the way by MondayPM. Our garage looks like we are getting ready to move! My DH, DD and I went to dinner at PF CHang's. It was so tasty, and just a nice night. Now - I feel stuffed to the gills and it's making me sleepy! And it is only 6:30pm here!

Well Ihave a few more teapots to bubble wrap. I guess I should get started! See you all tomorrow.

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  5:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey Porchies! Hope everyone is having a great evening.

I have a favor to ask. Some prayers for a very special friend of mine. She had a DandC in June and thought that was the end and two days before she was to fly to Germany to see kids and grandkids she was told she has Endometrial cancer and Monday she had a total hysterectomy. They said the enlarged node they removed was negative and then on Tuesday Doc called and said she will have to have chemo and radiation. She knows it's in Gods hands but all the prayers she can get will sure help.

Thanx all, didn't mean to bring anyone down!

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  6:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Happy Anniversary Elaine!!! I'm only on year 8 but Lord willing we'll go into the 50s or 60s. My parents celebrated 40 a couple of years ago. I love big anniversary numbers.

Mel so sorry for your friend's terrible news. I'll be praying for healing and peace through it all.

Tammy I used to get migraines so I feel your pain. Hope you're doing better now.

Bunny I really do wish that I enjoyed sewing because there are so many beautiful things I'd like to make. But I'm blessed that my mom and her cousin Diane are superb seamstresses and so my home is filled with their beautiful work. I'm praying my daughter will be a seamstress too then once my mom doesn't want to sew any more my daughter can do all my sewing. Sounds like a sweet deal to me! But truthfully I have a love affair with material and I'm always tempted to try again. Like I really want to make myself a feminine dress to wear around the house with a victorian apron (my mom has made me some aprons for daily use but I want a pretty one now!). And today I was at the fair and saw all the beautiful handiwork and I just want to do it too! I think next year I'll enter some of my photography.

So I'm all excited today. We went to the fair and I got my little worm farm. It's just another step towards being self sufficient and taking care of my family and my land. Probably sounds pretty silly but I'm happy about it. My rabbit is doing well and should be having a litter the end of this month. So excited to see the kits. It will be my first time having baby rabbits. At the fair the kids were excited to see all the animals. I told my husband he's screwed because the kids inherited my animal gene so he's going to be surrounded by animals for the rest of his life. :P The most exciting thing today at the fair was seeing one of the ladies from our Heritage Home Arts group (I'm a member and love it) spinning on her spinning wheel. Oh I want to do this so badly. Then she mentioned that someone was trying to get rid of some alpacas.... if my pasture was just ready I'd be the proud owner of those alpacas right now. I want so much to work with fiber. I want to do it from start to finish. Raise the animal, harvest the fiber, card it, spin it, clean it, and then use it. This lady that was spinning there was really helpful and explained things to me. She told me of a guild in the area so I might have to look into that and maybe join up and learn more. She even does weaving and I want to do that too!!!! Sorry I'm rambling but it was just so exciting.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

HeirloomMomma
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  6:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi All!
Just wanted to share with everyone, if you can go see a movie in the near future, definitely go and see "The Help". I went tonight with six other ladies in my family, that included my Mom and my daughter.
It was one of the best movies that I have seen in a long time, I left the movie theater with red, swollen eyes from crying!!
Sometimes it's nice to just go and watch a movie to forget about everything else that goes on in our lives.
Blessings to all,
Linda

Farmgirl Sister #3291
http://hoovershomesteadhappenings.blogspot.com
"Leap and the net will appear."
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  7:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies,
Thought I would sit in a rocking chair on the porch and catch up with yall.

Welcome to all the new ladies you will love it here.

Bunny so glad to hear things are going better for you.

Em~congrats on your classroom taking shape. MIne is about ready can now really focus this week with our fair being over tomorrow.

Peggy~what good books are you reading..Madame Butterfly here alwasy looking for a good read.

Ladies, I have to tell you I am one proud mama tonight. Today was the 4-H calf show which is the biggest show of our fair. My one son had a very good steer and would you believe he won grand champion overall with it. IN our county that is a big deal. we are considered the beef county and it is very competitive in 4-H. I don't know who was more happy my son or my hubby. I was so proud of my other son (twin) who was right there helping his brother get his calf ready and he knew his was a good steer and was coaching him and telling him to have fun and it just made me have tears of joy at the end of the day. I am so proud of them. We have had a very good fair with our animals. Tomorrow they come home and then this week they begin high school...kind of a teary moment for this mama too.

I will be busy getting my classroom finished for my new little butterflies at my school but it was just such a great day with family. God is so good and brings us such blessings in our lives.

Well as you can see I am havng some joy and wanted to share it with you cause I love you all like my sisters.

Love to you all,
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

Visit my blog~The View From Within
http://frommyteacup.blogspot.com
Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  7:38:48 PM  Show Profile
Tea Tammy, how wonderful for your son. He must be so proud! He will never forget this year at the fair. Will he sell it or keep it to raise it to an adult?

Kimberly, I envy you with the land. I started getting into that but got side tracked with life. I was hoping to clean mohair for a company and get paid. But I have a feeling it was more of a scam to just sell the wool. But it was beautiful. It was used for doll hair so it was long and very soft. I had to clean it and even though everyone complained about the smell.. I actually enjoyed the process. Nothing like taking really stinky wool and turning it into something so white, soft and beautiful. The spinning takes a bit of work, but I think once you get the hang of it.. it comes pretty natural. I would love to have a farm and raise animals for yarn. I would probably sell it. I'm too wrapped up in the quilting world right now. I can't fit something else in. Especially now that I live with my mom in a tiny house. But keep the dream alive.

Mel, I'll say a prayer for your friend. Tell her to ask about the cold caps for her head to help keep her hair.

Had a great day sewing. Tomorrow the main quilt gets sewn together. Then I have to write the pattern and take pictures. I already have another quilt on my mind. I have to use the new dies that Accuquilt sent me. One was a die with 3 birds on it. I'm thinking of a quilt with either cats and birds or just birds...Maybe call the bird quilt.."the blue birds of happiness".

Anyway, I know it is hot but have some homemade chili and corn bread, and sweet ice tea! Just stay in by the air conditioner!

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  12:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Madame Butterfly...Congrats to your son and the whole family really. I know that it is a total family event. I bet that you are all just
buston your buttons with pride and feel good vibes. And thankfulness! That my friend is just so Awesome! ~ Wow...now your twins are starting High School! I bet you can't believe how fast the time has flown by. Enjoy every moment you can with them becasue High School flies by faster than dry leaves on the wind. My youngest son is now 25 and it seems like just yesterday he graduated H.S.

Mel...how awful for your friend. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. I don't get why she has to have chemo and radiation if they removed her uterus and the enlarged node was negative. Do they think the cancerous endo. had breeched the walls of her uterus? What a shock
and it all seemed to happen so fast huh? You didn't bring us down Mel...we want to be able to pray for someone who has such a need. There is a lot of miracle working power in prayer.

Linda...I just downloaded "The Help" on my kindle e-reader. I hear that the book and movie are fabulous...but I always have to read the
book before I see the movie. Glad you concur that it is excellant!

Elaine...Happy Anniversary! That is a great gift to each other getting your floors done. Do you have hardwoods through the whole house?

Kimberly...is your worm farm one of those 4 tier compost bins that can stay outside in the summer and then inside in the winter? I have
been looking on line at those and really want to get one. They are so cool! Some cities here in WA require composting...ours does not but I want to compost for my veggie and flower gardens.

We went to Church tonight and it was a Wonderful time of Praise and Worship. I think I almost danced in the isle...my heart was so full
of love and gratitude to the Lord. I often have to go on Sat. Night because it works better for me with my Fibro. Sometimes is hard for me
to get up on time to make it to the Sunday Services because of the weather.

Well, hope you all have a great Sunday and may you too feel sheltered beneath His Mighty Wings.

Too Blessed To Stress,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  01:22:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Don't worry everyone, I will be sure to be careful once rugby starts!
Happy Anniversary Elaine!
I need to be off to bed! I'm going to Six Flags tomorrow with my friends. It's going to be a long, fun day!
Megan

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  04:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies!

We are finally getting rain! Right now it is looking like a monsoon - but we need it so badly. I'll take it anyway it comes!

Mel~ Your friend is in my prayers. What a scary thing to be going through.

Bunny~ You continue to inspire me with your positivity - "Blue Bird of Hsppiness" quilt! How wonderful!

Peggy~ I know what you mean about dancing with joy. When I was principal at St. Leo's School and we would gather for Mass, the beautiful sound of 600 children singing their hearts out moved me to tears on more than one occasion. Tear of joy! One song in particular "Our God is an Awesome God" with hand movements - they loved to sing that song (and still do) the roof was almost raised with the power of their voices.

Kimberly~ I have been eyeing those worm bins for a while now. Please let us know how it goes!

Tea Lady Tammy~ You must be so proud! What an accomplishment for your son.

Linda~ I have read "The Help" and it was sooo good. I can't wait to go see the movie!

Well, I have more packing up to do. It's time to pack up my precios teapots and tea cups. I'm going to wrap them in bubble wrap, I do not want any breakage! Then I think I will just sit and listen to the rain a bit. Then more furniture moving and packing. Have a peaceful day!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  07:09:04 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Porch Friends,

I looked at and wanted to get the four tiered worm bins but it was pretty expensive and didn't fit into the budget at this point in time. A lady from my Heirloom Home Arts group does this and was willing to give me some worms! So I met up with her and it turns out she gave me the totes and worms and set it all up for me (with me doing hands on learning). I'm so excited because I now have my worm farm and it didn't cost me a dime to start! I'll keep you updated for sure.

Bunny.... honestly I don't have a lot to envy! I actually feel pretty clostrophobic (sp) where I am. In Idaho we had 6 acres which to me was just funny because where I come from in Canada when someone is talking about how much land they own they talk 1/4 sections, sections, and townships. Six acres seemed pretty puny but I was thankful to have it. Now I'm on even less land!!! I don't know how I'm going to graze everything but there might be some land right up against ours that I 'might' be able to use for pasture, we'll see. In the mean time I'm just trying to be content with what I have and thankful for the bounty I've been given.

Tea Lady Tammy.... congrats to all on the wonderful accomplishment! Something to be very proud of. 4H is such an awesome experience for children, I am looking forward to when mine are old enough. You must be bursting with pride that one son encouraged another so.

Well ladies must get chores done before we go to church so I'll wish you all a Blessed Sunday in fairwell.

Kimberly

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page