Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  12:00:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies. Been a long day already.

peggy- I love your idea of the joy box.

luanne- I'm sorry for the trouble with hospice. It seems some in society silently support euthenasia.

bunny- you lead a very exciting life! That tells you how boring mine is. Sorry about your date.

pam- there's so many good people everywhere. Sometimes we have to get refocused and not dwell on the bad ones.

dana- your plan sounds great. We cut off our satellite over a year ago. We still have netflix and internet. We're going to cut the landline phone off though. It's been a journey discovering what we really need and what are luxuries. We're currently trying to sell one of the cars, too.

elaine- your Monsieur Rascal (and you) have inspired me to go work in my garden today. Time to plow under all the dead plants and look forward to fall planting.

angela- beautiful poem. I didn't think it was silly at all. :)

megan- Good Luck on your 5k. I did one last year and it was very rewarding. I was mostly happy I didn't come in last. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. I will pray for things to improve. Sounds like it's time to tell the principal it will be taken to their superior and the police if the school is unable to handle it. In the real world we are not allowed to harass people like that and children aren't excused either. The responsibility for such actions falls on the parents and so do the penalties. I've read of other parents starting to take this action (suing) and they are winning.

penny- nice to meet ya! Happy Anniversary too.

Yesterday was a pretty nice day. Yes, my daughter is a hoot. 5 year old logic will always crack you up. It's usually about how beneficial it is for me to get her candy. Please girl..

I spent some time getting the car extra clean to see what Carmax would offer us. What a let down. At least I know where I stand. I need to tweak our car ad some and post it in a lot more places. We only owe one more year on it and then it's ours anyway. I was just hoping to get out from under it since it really is an extra vehicle. We're trying to get out of debt and this would help a lot.

I was reading an article earlier about lonliness. It really hit home. It wasn't talking about short term lonliness. It was talking about long term lonliness and the media portraying socializing as something very easy and effortless to obtain. It talked about connecting with people on the internet doesn't diminish that feeling back in real life. I want to read the book they talked about. I feel I fall into this category. I wish there were some farmgirls close by me because it seems I don't have enough in common with other people I know. Meaning I have some things in common but not enough to make getting together seem worthwhile for longer than 5 minutes. Does anyone else feel this way? I've been thinking of trying to have a penpal.

O.k. looks like I'm off to the garden for a bit. Hope you ladies have a nice, and not too hot, day.

I watched a movie last night on Netflix which I LOVED! It's called Dean Spanley. You'll love it if you like English settings and actors that can tell a good story. I was spell bound and drawn completely in. And if you like dogs you'll love it.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  2:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Julie... I felt the same way for a long time. My aunt told me something one day that changed everything. She pointed out that 'socializing' is a modern term and a modern idea. She told me that the sale of antidepressants began to be popular when socializing did. For most of history only the rich held dinner parties and teas and they tended to go crazy and kill themselves. If you worry about havin others to give you approval and acceptance you will never be happy. They won't approve or accept you till you ARE them, then you won't be happy. She pointed out how stressed I get when my house isn't spotless and I know company is comin over, and how any other night I would just go to bed with the baby's toys on the floor and a few dishes in the sink. I have slowly come to see that she's right. I am much happier and more relaxed when I'm livin my life for my family and me, not everyone else who I feel I have to impress. I have learned that other people find great joy in sittin in judgement and 'fixin' others lives. That's why I love this site. These women here are here to avoid those very things! Here is acceptance without judgement! Here is aproval without impression! This is all the friendship and socializing I ever need. I know that I am ok with my life and my family is ok with the life I am givin them. I don't need anyone outside our circle to tell me we are ok.

I hope you can see that everything I have said was said in love. I love you and all the beautiful women on here. I only want peace and joy for you all.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  4:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Well said Angela

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

So Keep Smiling!
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  4:15:19 PM  Show Profile
Hello and welcome to the porch Penny - you will really enjoy yourself here!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com
http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
http://embchicken-thechubbychicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  6:30:47 PM  Show Profile
welcome to the porch penny
hugs deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  6:47:05 PM  Show Profile
evening porchies
its a hot humid day so off to the beach i went.
i found a knitting club right here in town so come fall i'll jump in..
my garden is so overgrown but its so hot its hard to weed in this heat.
plus the mosquitoes are killer...ugh! but alittle each helps..
Elaine i was down in your neck of the woods (sea girt) cute little beach..
Luanne prayers for you dear
angela what a wonderful poem thanks for sharing
pam so so sad people stupe so low..
bunny sorry but what a mean thing to do..i hate being stood up be inconsiderate people i know and just don't make plans with them again.. there really is no excuse for bad manners.
unless he got in an accident.
well ladies prayers and hugs for all
blessings deborah

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  7:29:11 PM  Show Profile
Angela- I was not writing about approval and acceptance. I was writing about the difficulty in finding others with common interests in my own neighborhood and town. Your aunt gave you good advice. My house is less than anywhere near perfect and it never will be. Most people completely understand if there's a kid in the house. From your writing you have a larger family than I do. I grew up with 2 sets of grandparents, 1 mother and 1 father, 1 aunt and 1 uncle, 1 brother. No cousins. The only living relatives I have are my brother, who doesn't contact anyone and says he likes his life just that way, and a father who is unable to be left alone with children. Everyone else has died. So my only close family are my husband and 5 year old DD. Since neither of them knit or can food or any other farmgirl hobby, I would love to be able to find someone near me with those interests to speak with face to face and ask questions and share stories with.

I enjoy coming to this site and reading everyone's accomplishments, funny stories, and problems. It helps to know you're not the only one out there experiencing these things. I also can't help the way I feel. I do feel a bit lonely some days when I leave the site and have no one to share recipes or tea with in person.

I talked to DH about it and he said that since the things I'm interested in aren't considered "mainstream" that it would be harder to find someone interested in talking about their compost pile, for example. He said until the farmgirl way of life becomes mainstream I would just have to be content and talk to people in the forum. We looked at some things from our church and found this: “LONELINESS is not an illness",“Loneliness is a healthy hunger . . . , a natural sign that we are lacking companionship.” Just as hunger moves us to take in nourishing food, feelings of loneliness should move us to seek out good friends. And it cited Proverbs 18:24.

I hope this clears up what I was writing about.

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  8:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters!
Oh my goodness Peggy, I must've been really tired last night! My bad! Oh boy... Now I'm laughing at myself! Well, Angela, the poem is very good! And Peggy, please post pictures of your beautiful family!
Luanne, I'll be praying that your situation gets better.
Elaine, Bunny, Peggy, and Julie, thank you for the positive thoughts. My aunt was telling me this, and I thought, when I was in third grade, we were still playing house at recess!
Deborah, I wish there was a knitting/crocheting club around here! It sounds like such fun!
Julie, I hope that you're able to find more farmgirls around where you live. I know how it feels to be a little out of place. It's how I felt at the beginning of high school, but after a bit of searching, I found some great friends!
Bunny, don't give up on your dream of school! I think that'd be so great and inspiring!
Elaine, I wish I lived near a pretty coast! I live near Lake Michigan, but I don't think that's nearly as pretty as the East Coast.
Penny, welcome to the porch! I hope you feel welcome here, because we share everything! And Happy Belated Anniversary!
Well, today was my 5K, and it went pretty well. My goal was to finish in 40 minutes, but I finished in 48:20. So, a little slower than I wanted, but still good! I was just glad to finish. My friend was with me, and before we were actually able to warm up with a running group from our grade school. I thanked the girl in charge for letting us warm up with her, and she said that she was guessing we wouldn't have warmed up if we weren't with her! She was right. But anyways, it was great fun, and afterwards my Mom and I walked around GermanFest (that's the festival the 5K was through) with my friend and her parents. I'm glad my Mom was able to do that. Since my dad left, she hasn't really been able to keep up with friendships, and my grade school friend's families didn't want to "take sides", so that means usually I'm only invited and neither of my parents are. It was good fun! Thank you to everyone who wished me good luck, I think it worked! I hope everyone has joyous Fridays!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  11:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I completely know how you feel about being lonely. I feel like I'm broken or a misfit sometimes. Like I was born at the wrong time in the world. I have learned to be content by myself mostly. But I agree there is nothing like having a friend over for tea and knitting and talking about life. I have moved to a new town and it's even harder here than before. People say "find a club to join... but I'm not much of a club person. All I can say is hang in there and find things to do that make you happy and feel connected to something. My quilting helps. I sometimes feel I am out of my league. There are so many others that are making money and getting attention. But I do it for myself as much as anything. So keep up with the special things in your life. It sounds like you have a wonderful husband that at least listens to you. And keep searching or find a way to start a group that does what you want. You may find there are many other women close by feeling just like you do. I have thought about it myself but really don't want to bring anyone to my mothers house. I know I'll find my way and you will too.
I wish there was someway to be closer to the wonderful ladies here on the porch. But for now the written word will have to do.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost.../
Plan to improvise
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  08:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Julie, Bunny I have that feeling of not fitting in and have had it all my life. Truth was I didn't fit into the norm at any point. I like to sew, make thing with wood, work in the garden when I can have one and have always felt as if I was a generation or two out of time. So, phewey on the mainstream. Like Popeye used to say "Iyam what Iyam". God loves me, most of my kids love me, two out of three isn't bad, my bosses love me after 20 plus years, one of my sisters love me and as for the rest of them, they have missed knowing an interesting person, their loss. It only took me 50 years to get to this point. I was so shy growing up it is painful to think back on. I talk to God a lot and find that helps me to get through the days. I miss my DH but, one of these days.....In the meantime I will do what gives me pleasure and enjoy this lovely world.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  10:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome to the group, and @ PeggyAnn, thank you for the kind words. I so understand how you Julie, Bunny and Cherime feel...I also feel that way. I get lonely and crave a female friend. The one friend that I do have and have for about 30 years is so different than me. We haven't lived in the same town for 25+ years. We do get together sometimes but don't share much in common but time. And lately I think she has resented my new marriage. She isnt happy with her life and she feels my hubby is taking me away from her...it's not true but in her eyes it is. Anyway we hit a bad patch this week and now once again she isn't speaking to me...you would think after this many years she would accept me for me..but she hasn't. She is one of the type that loves to be in control and she lashes out when she feels she isn't. I love her and always will but it is hard sometimes to put up with that. Anyway TMI I'm sure. The reason I am even saying anything is because this thread has made me realize that there are other woman out there that feel alone too at times. I really wish we all lived closer to each other so we could share the thinks we like together. I really think I was born to late..lol..I love my garden, baking from scratch, canning and so much more that makes me a Farmgirl. I am lucky to have finally found the love of my life. After many tries I had almost given up but GOD knew what he was doing and waited for me to appreciate the man he sent me at the age of 51. We just celebrated our second anniversary this past Monday. We spend almost every hour of everyday together. We don't have much and money is tight but we are happy. I thank GOD everyday for sending him to me. He taught me how to love, and how to mostly love myself. Thanks everyone for listening...I also believe GOD led me to this site to, so that I can share what I love with others. Penny

Ps...I think this was the kicker...this spring after I spent many days planting the garden, I would walk the garden every morning with my cup of coffee in hand...The garden was bare but all of a sudden I had a little squeal that scared my husband(I think he thought I saw a snake or something) but it wasn't it was one of my little seeds that sprouted...I had my first plant...then every morning I continued to walk the garden and everyday I'd squeal again and make DH come look..then one day I let out a big scream, I was so excited...my plants had started producing. Anyway..I KNEW I was a farmgirl when DH said I was like a giddy little school girl when it came to my garden...really I just felt like a new Momma, planting, waiting and watching everything grow...I love my life and proud to be a farmgirl...

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...

So Keep Smiling!

Edited by - Acelady02 on Jul 29 2011 11:32:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  12:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I've had a lot of reading to do since I was on here last.Where to start.....
For those of you who like to (float) in the ocean...moor yourselves to land will ya? We don't want you disappearing! hahaha
Staci, Happy Belated Birthday my dear, your card is on it's way. So sorry. At the first of the month, I got out 4 b-cards for b-days. Somehow, in my tidying up, I put 2 in my desk drawer and there they sat. I saw that my niece had a b-day the 28th and then I saw your name and said, hmmmmm...did I send hers out? So the search was on, and there it was, in the drawer. I'm sorry. It's coming...honest!!
Megan, I loved the Gilmore Girls and have all 7 seasons.DH copied(burned)5 of the seasons for me.I bought the other 2 at Border's. I hated when they canceled that show. If I would have had children, I wanted to be like Lorilei! I'm kind of like that with my 2 neices!
Prayers for your cousin. Where are decent parents these days? Who would let a 3rd grader watch a horrible movie and then act on it terrorizing other children.What's wrong with parents? Do they think giving birth is the end of parenting?

Peg, my mom has those inspections like you do.She worries every time she has one coming up.I said, don't worry in advance, they'll tell you if they don't like something. Why fret twice.
My Dad was on a tube feed for his last 3 months because he was having trouble swallowing. They had him on the (constant feed) style. My Aunt was only fed at mealtimes. Didn't know they had different types. Anyhow,Daddy's got infected and he went into the hospital one afternoon and he died that next morning. He had the strangest smell about him. We wish now that we would have taken him off the tube feed after about a month and tried to let him eat again. He was bright and alert up until he went in the hospital and they started giving him morphine...and I don't know why. I think that trip there was a mistake, now that I look back.But he was in a nursing home, and they felt that he needed to go in to see why his temp was so high.His floor nurse was off that day, and even she didn't understand why he died so quickly.
I have a "Memory-Box" with lots of (keepers) that make me happy too!
As for mirrors, I took the full-length one out of my bathroom ad put in a small, head-high one that let's me see my face. I've learned to smile at myself and don't linger. We just start tearing ourselves down if we stand there and look for faults!When bathing, it's easy to see too many problems in a big mirror and we miss the real person that we are inside, where God sees us! Yes?
Pam, so sorry about your troubles. BIG ((((HUG)))) Girl!
Bunny...one guy told you he had a big bed??? WHAT!!! What's wrong with men? Just looking for one-nighters I guess! SAD!!!
Dana...Ahhhh, to see things thru the eyes of a 4 year-old. What an experience!
Angela, that was a beautiful poem. I loved it!
Penny, welcome to the group and Happy Anniversary!My Sis lives in N.C. and has lots of humming-birds there too. We have very few here in Ohio. I see one at my feeder every once in awhile. Please tell us more about your place. I find it very interesting!
Julie, I think a lot of us feel lonely and wish we had friends close by. That's why this site spoke to us. Here we have a lot of Sisters. And even though we can't sit with them in a chair, across a table or on a glider with a cup on our knee, we embrace each other as if we could. I even have 2 penpals on here whom I enjoy very much. It's fun to get a letter instead of a bill or advertisement.
MJFarm has been great for me.
Well girls, I need to quit writing a novel and do something that doesn't require a chair...ooooo....my (butt-bones) are sore!lol
Love yuns!Make it a great day!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"

Edited by - herblady55 on Jul 29 2011 7:56:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  3:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I was glad to get that off my chest. Your encouragement really helps a farmgirl to keep her chin up. DH says that I'm no quitter so he doesn't see that I'll just lie down and give up. I decided DD would be my farmgirl friend today. We went to the hair stylist and got her hair done and I had my eyebrows done. I can't see well enough to do those myself anymore. We went to one of those trailer eatery places. I don't know if you have those but they are popping up everywhere. The one we went to has 4 different trailers. They have grilled items and sandwiches. We ate at the one that had only cupcakes. We sat at a picnic table and talked about our hair and our cupcakes. Then we went to a second hand store and bought a lot of nice jeans for working in the yard.

Next week I will try to make it to the KnitWit club. I went once about a year ago and didn't like it because the teacher never showed up. I'll give it another try.

Penny, your garden sounds perfect. You can always tell when someone's garden is lovely because of how much they like it.

I can't remember if I posted about my latest canning project. The farmer at the farmer's market gave me all their "reject" vegetables they couldn't sell. I made vegetable soup and ended up with 5 quarts. Unbelievable that it would've been otherwise thrown away food.

It's bath time around here so I better go. I found another murder mystery series called Midsomer Murders. It has about 10 seasons.

Happy Weekend! Hoping for rain.

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  3:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip Julie.I'll look it up on my Netflix. I just love mysteries. I'm really getting into the Quincy,M.E. Sure wish it was streaming. These hot days are great for movie watching. I liked the Ann of Green Gables books and series and found another series by the same author on Netflix.It's called Emily of New Moon! Cute little girl in it too! ;-)

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Penny...Welcome! I'm sorry I'm so late chimin in on that! I'm a little slow here lately. LOL! I loved your post about walkin through the garden with your coffee in the mornin. I posted almost the exact same thing last spring! I love my early mornins in the garden with just me and my coffee and those little babys peekin out of the dirt at me. I love to pet and smell my plants too. My Hubby gets kinda irritated sometimes with me draggin him out there almost daily, but he loves to see me excited about it.

Well, I just looked out the window and it's very dark and there's thunder. I might actually get some rain before the drought here wipes out my garden! Yea!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  4:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Judy and Angela, Thank you so much for the kind words...Angela I understand what it is like to enjoy your garden and hubby being just a little irritated sometimes...mine too...but I think he finally decided it brings me so much joy that he has given in. Some days it is very hard for him because in 1985 he had a tree fall on him and break his back. He was told he would never walk again, paralyzed for 5 months. But the story he told me when the Drs. told him he would never walk again just proves to me his faith in the Lord. His quote was "Dr. you are fired" Dr says you can't fire me. "Yes I can because I won't listen to you saying I will never walk again. Because Dr. I will... Dr. I guess you don't know the great healer like I do" And guess what? He walks and as he says it's not pretty but he does it. He has rods in his back, a drop left foot and really bad circulation in both legs. Lots of pain and really, really bad limp but he WALKS. I am so proud of him. He rarely complains about it and there maybe alot he can't do....but I am so blessed to have a man with such faith in the Lord. Dang, Farmgirls, seems it is so easy to talk to ya'll...lol...thanks for listening....I've enjoy my time here reading your stories and sharing mine. Till next time...Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

So Keep Smiling!
Go to Top of Page

Nana Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Camden Missouri
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  5:32:59 PM  Show Profile
aaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuu, mind if I sit a spell. I'm Linda, just a hop skip and a jump away from here. (Missouri) Actually born and raised In Illinois, and we have always been porch sitters, and still are when we go home to visit. Just not quite the same though, we lost our Mom, May 17th of this year. But we still have our Dad and we still sit on the porch. My hubby and I have a little hobby farm of 30 acres here 40 miles outside of Kansas City, Mo. We have cows and 2 goats, and are working on another chicken coop, so we can get chickens again. It has been soooo hot, we can't seem to get anything finished. But we are persistent, we'll get ur done. Well, Grandson wants my attention, so I better color a page or 2 in his transformer color book with him. I'll be back
Linda

Make God Laugh, Tell HIM Your Plan.
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  6:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Linda, I'm new too, only been around a few days but let me tell you that there are really great farmgirls here. I am so sorry about the loss of your Mom, I lost mine in 06 and still miss her everyday. Your farm sounds like a wonderful place. Enjoy it and your Dad...come by anytime and lets rock together. Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

So Keep Smiling!
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  8:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone! I had to go off the grid, so to speak for a few days. Work and the world surrounding me were just too much. So, today I decided to go to the county fair, play with animals and just be. It did wonders. This weekend, more relaxation. I know I haven't been around a lot but you are in my mind.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  8:31:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi ya Linda, it's Judy from over on the "over 50" thread. How ya doin? Of course you can sit on the porch with us, there's no age limit here! lol I know what you mean by not getting anything finished because of this heat. It's awful, isn't it? I feel like my brain is melting.(quiet Claudia&Patsy...I hear the snickers.)
So sorry to hear about your Mom. I lost my Dad 2 years ago, and sometimes it feels like yesterday and hurts all over again!
Pam, I can't wait for our county fairs around here to start. I love petting the animals, and eating gyros, french fries and cotton candy. Yum-yum!
G'night Girls!

Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  8:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Linda!

I'm enjoyin the night even if it has gone terrilbly wrong. It's 74 and rainy here. Yea! I went to town to drop the kids off for a day with gramma and the car broke down! I was stuck at a gas station for 45 minutes with a tired 2y/o. She found a mud puddle about 2 seconds after bein let out of the car and it was splashin and laughin the rest of the time. I had to strip her completely for the ride home, but my sanity was worth it. Hubby rescued us and got the car runnin agian, then sent us home with candy bars and sodas. The ride home wasn't to bad since the baby was busy with goodies she doesn't usually get. She's exhausted and restin in bed now, soon to be asleep.

I was so glad for the rain since it made sittin outside bearable. Plus, my tomato plants and green beans are standin up straight agian. Yea! I think some of the garden at least is gonna make it and we'll be able to replant some of the stuff too. I'm gonna jump off and get started on my shower and see if I can find somethin to eat. I missed dinner stuck in town!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  10:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters!
Bunny, Cherime, and Penny, I really wished we all lived closer! We could have farmgirl get-togethers all the time! :)
Judy, I lovelovelove Gilmore Girls! I have seen every episode at least once, and they've been showing them every day on ABC Family, but know they aren't so watching them on SoapNet will have to do!
Penny, there's no such as TMI on here. We share all of our problems and happiness here. I'm sorry that your friend is not being very friend-like, especially after how long you've been friends with her. I hope things get better.
Linda, welcome! I hope you find it fun to visit here every day! I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I wish I had a porch like yours!
Angela, sounds like your DD is a fun little girl! I hope everything is going well for you:)
Today was very relaxing. I really didn't do much of anything! But I'm pretty much babysitting all weekend, so I guess it was good to take a break! I hope everyone has great weekends!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  06:07:03 AM  Show Profile
It's a beautiful morning out - my idea of a perfect morning - cool, slight breeze, dappled sunshine (a few clouds, and some trees in the way)...I love it! And it's a long weekend, so that just makes everything better, doesn't it? I think it should be mandatory 3 day weekends, and if it is a 3 day weekend, then you get 4 days! Wouldn't that be nice??

I'm just about finished making my dress, although I can't take credit for most of the sewing. I got confuzzled on a step at the beginning & so I took it to my aunts' house for help (she's only 30 minutes away, compared to my mom at 2 1/2 hrs) & have been working on it once or twice a week since the beginning of July & now it's finally almost done! Woohoo! If I start things early enough, they will get done! lol So my day today is going to be: clean the kitchen/living room, do the dishes, tidy the bathroom, get my mail (& with any luck, my thread will finally be here after 3 weeks!), get a few groceries, work on my shawl finally....and watch some movies/listen to some music. I also want to put something in the crockpot since I know I'm not going to actually make anything if I'm working on a project!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  07:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Megan~ How awful for your little cousin! Seems schools are all different in how they handle these sort of situations these days. Some are too lax and others too strict. But in this situation this girl has problems and maybe she is acting out from some problems she having from her parents separating, but that’s still no excuse. She needs a good sit down with the principal and some counseling might be a good idea too. Praying for your cousin and the other little girl. {{HUGS}}

Praying for you Luanne

Bunny~ Well maybe he really did have car trouble. Hopefully he keeps the next date and you two have a great time.

Love the poem, Angela! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Peggy~ My mom knows all to well about the crazy fire inspections. She’s been told enough by them that before they come to inspect her apt, she rearranges her furniture to suit them and then after they leave she puts it back where she wants it. Not saying it’s right, just saying. LOL

Darlene~ Still thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Have a great time at the beach!

Penny~ Welcome to the Porch! You are NOT a bore at all hun. We want to know all about you so chatter away. Hugs!

FarmDream~ I do understand what you are saying about feeling lonely. I had lots of friends in high school, but since school our lives have drifted in different directions. And not that we moved apart in the physical sense. Many of them got into drugs or “wild” sort of relationships that I don’t want anything to do with let alone subject my children to. And of course they see me as old and boring. I love MJF because I can come here and connect with other women who share in the same things I love and I have learned so much from everyone from just being on the boards. But sometimes you just want to hang out with a girlfriend, really hangout. I have the same problem you do, so far no farmgirls are close. Maybe someday we will find some farmgirl neighbors and of course we still have The Porch to sit on.

Pam~ glad to hear you are doing better. {{hugs}}

Seems like I only get to visit on the weekends anymore. ShooWee! It has been one roller coaster ride this week! I'm ready for a bit of a slowdown. Actually the more I think about it the more I really think that is just what I need to get my focus. I got my Mary Kay starter kit Wednesday and did my first skin care class with my mom and sis on Thursday. I spent the week trying to check into a loan for the HVAC system for the house and I thought I would throw my MK inventory on as well. Well I got No's from both places. And you know what I'm ok with that. I was a little bummed with the first no, but now I realize there's a reason behind it. I was going to put my house on the line to secure this loan. Now I don't really know what to make of all this with the government and not trying to get that kind of discussion going, just got thinking that if this country got as crazy as some of the "experts" claim can happen, I really need to keep my house. If it came down to it my house would be the one me and my little family and my mom and if need be my sis and her family could all shack up in. It would be a tight fit and we'd drive each othe nuts but we would have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies.
So anyhoo that also means there's no MK inventory. That's ok! So I start at the bottom of MK food chain. LOL Like I said I've all ready held my first class and I should mention made money at it. I have another class soon and another lady thinking of holding one. My recruiter was super happy to hear I was all ready working. She said she didn't think she's ever had anyone get their kit and hold a money making class the very next day. Ahh well there is just soooo much information coming at me, it's hard to stay focused. So ladies I vote we sit here and share a cup of tea and all the goodies everyone has to share and I've brought some cinnamon buns and just chill out!

Hugs to you all!
Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  10:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Fire inspection???? Tell you what if they decided to do that here in Wasilla, more than half the homes would be condemned. There is a guy who rents places he calls "dry" no running water. He gets $800 for the ones that have some kind of separate bedroom even if it is only a loft. Bet none of them could pass any kind of inspection. The borough leaves him alone because you can rent from him without a credit check and just the first months rent and a cleaning deposit.
Off to clean in preparation for another week.
Have a cupps for me.

CMF
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page