Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  6:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Girl that's no lie I like the peaceful company of greatful animals and friends. The television is just so depressing out of sight out of mind. We watch movies our cable isn't even turned on, I know that the children are going to be exposed to the bad of the world but they don't have to watch it all the time on the TV. We have a lot to do with the animals and the kids sports to the point we don't have time for it. Boy it's nice out here tonight with such a soft breeze that's swaying the limbs.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  06:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I sure am glad I am on this nice warm front porch with friends and good food! If I was back home I would have to be thinking about getting ready for work and the 10 inches of snow that is supposed to fall in my corner of the world!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  06:42:28 AM  Show Profile
Nancy- I have that good old coffee with chickory in it! Enjoy!
I will also bake up some cornbread for the gumbo.
I feel the sunshine and can hear ya'all laughing and telling stories. Can ya see the beautiful flowers that border my garden? It is a beautiful site!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
hey ladies, i'm making apple strudel today, i'm sure some of ya'll would love to sample it with me! I'll bring enough to share!

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Check out my ETSY store too! I'm loving it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claudiascraftshop
Go to Top of Page

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  09:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes the flowers. Just love the soft colors of those first flowers. Kinda like the the colors on a butterfly's wings as they first emerge. I see we had a soft rain last nite, not like back home where it has been pouring for six days. Who knew we would get tornados in So Ca. Rain is good, just not all at once. Well got my morning coffee, enjoying those flowers, listioning to you ladies talk. So peacefull. Hey Annika do you think Tia would sit with me for a bit? My kitty won't get off the bed lol. Maybe she has the right idea.

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  11:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Good Day Ladies,
The day is just so wonderful and the soft wind is that's blowing, I have to say it really is that way for the moment here, but I have to much house work to do so I opened my windows cause there is rain heading back our way in the forecast. But I couldn't help myself I just had to get a glass of tea and come join ya on the porch I must say the view with the flowers and the birds and the butterflies are beautiful, and so relaxing. Please someone tell me I don't have to go do house work. Any body. Well I guess break time is over and now I must return. Talk with ya ladies later. By the way I think some jalapeno hushpuppies would go great with the gumbo, but even at that I'm thinking on making some red beans, look I've done went and added to my list of to dos. Later
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  11:15:43 AM  Show Profile
Marla, Tia would love to visit with you, she is such a sweetie =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  11:54:25 AM  Show Profile
Angie, pass me a big mug of the chickory coffee, please and some light cream, too. Yummm, that sure smells great! Did you get more ice this morning? We did and many of the schools either delayed starting or closed all together. It's stayed around freezing but the roads seem to be ok now.

Today is our wedding anniversary. Number 11 for my love and I. I never thought I'd ever be this happy at my age (67). Life just gets better every year.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  12:36:58 PM  Show Profile
well i would love to make brownies except we have no electricity due to ice storm. I am work right now and hoping after two days I will be able to go home. So when I am home brownies I shall make with no frosting. :)

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

friotowngirl
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Cynthia
Pearsall Texas
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Send friotowngirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone,
It is sun shining and 81 degrees with a good breeze! I've cleaned house and mopped my floors (alot of mud from all the rain) and am resting on the porch. I have a rap around porch and rocker benches. Alot of cats and they always come to visit. I am drinking water (because I'm on a diet too) and relaxing after all the work. Perfect end to a busy day. Anyone can join me here but I am not mopping your floors before you get here, sorry ;(. Looking forward to seeing you here.

Simply Thankful,
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  4:45:28 PM  Show Profile
My sweet, fun farmgirl friends, I am so full. If I don't get off this porch and do some exercise, I'll put on 10 pounds! LOL. Sam, welcome to the porch. Isn't this amazing? We have been on and off this porch for months, and not one of us has had an arguement. These farmgirls are just wonderful. Sam, my little sister lives in Kerrville, Texas. Every time I visit, I hear whipperwill's singing in the late evening. So beautiful. Maria, I agree with you about Teresa's writing/memories about her dear hubby. It makes me, too, want to grab life each minute, each second at a time, and to constantly tell and show my Sweetie (hubby) how much he means to me and how much I love him.
Dawn, did you really rope Sam????? It was her first day on the porch. LOL. Girls, what a beautiful day it was today! See y'all later.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  6:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I have enjoyed reading the posts! It was a beatiful day in Mississippi. I made 8 loaves of bread and I could smell the bread from my porch! I love Community coffee with chicory in it. This is such a nice idea, and I like the no cleaning necessary too!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  7:55:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle:
Was that the bread you were baking that I smelled today? LOL. I love Community coffee but without the chicory. Welcome to the porch. Come sit with us. We all come and go, some of us cook, some bake, but we love to chat, pray, and once in a while, we all go for a walk. We had an absolutely beautiful day today. Whope to see you later.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  9:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Girls, well today has been a wonderful one on the porch and at home the weather was beautiful both place but I will say the company is much better on the porch.LOL And Yes Marly, Dawn did rope me I was high stepping and she must have been watching my feet fly cause she caught my head. haha But I'm not complaining that's the most exercise I've had in awhile she made me work up a sweat. ;} Now girls I have a really dumb question to ask and please don't laugh but what in the world is "chicory" stop laughing? I like coffee and I drink it a lot of ways but I've never heard of that one. And yes I am from WAY OUT IN THE COUNTRY HA HA. I don't do Star Bucks I concock my own flavors the one I'm hooked on right now is coffee with a little creamer, 1 package of hot chocolate, and a broke up peppermint. Oh and Marly, I heard what I always believed to be the first sign of spring besides the turtle doves and the whipper wills and that was the bull frogs from the pond. Isn't it odd how some sounds just hit us the right way and seem so soothing and just relaxing. Well girls I'm going to turn in after all of this talk I have moved one of my swings to my front porch and got the coffee pot ready for morning so I can take my cup and go watch the sunrise. Oh how I love to watch The Master crate His masterpiece. Good Night from Sam
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  06:44:32 AM  Show Profile
I got a Tupperware cookbook my grandmother got when she hosted a party in 1969! It has a recipe in it to make 8 loaves at a time. I will need to get a bigger bowl to rise it in for sure! It'a a plain white recipe and I add onions, or cinnimon and raisins to it. I also use it to make dinner rolls or pizza crust. Ahh, it's great to be able to live the farmgirl life!!!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  07:03:49 AM  Show Profile
Here is a really goos explanation of chicory...Common chicory (Cichorium intybus) is a bushy perennial herb with blue, lavender, or occasionally white flowers. It grows as a wild plant on roadsides in its native Europe, and in North America and Australia, where it has become naturalized. Common chicory is also known as blue sailors, succory, and coffeeweed. It is also called cornflower, although that name is more properly applied to Centaurea cyanus. The cultivated forms are grown for their leaves (var. foliosum), or for the roots (var. sativum), which are baked, ground, and used as a coffee substitute and additive. Common names for varieties of var. foliosum include endive, radicchio, Belgian endive, French endive, red endive, sugarloaf or witloof.[wikipedia]
I know it has been used as a replacement for coffee forever! I like to mix chicory and reg. coffee. Chicory is caf. free. So it good for you, but I still love my coffee, so this is my answer! I hope that explains it.
I would never laugh. I would only help you find the answer.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  07:21:28 AM  Show Profile
Angie this is great information! I didn't realize endive was in the same family as chicory and that it's caf. free. If I wanted to grow it would I look for blue sailor seeds or can I use the roots of endive or radicchio? This is very cool!!!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

MarionCountryGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marla
Hemet Ca
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  08:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Wow Angie that was a mouthfull lol. Thanks so much for the info. I knew it was a plant and could be used for a coffee type drink but wow! You gals are always full of suprises. Well looks like a little reprieve from the rain. So hubby is taking me to an antique fair today. They are sooo much fun. Maybe I will find a treasure today. So I will have to leave you gals for the moment. Wow the sun just came out for the first time in over a week. Everything is so bright and clean. Think I will enjoy it before the next storm hits. Well you ladies have a great day. Maybe I will come back with a good story on the great treasures I find.

Every Day is a gift from God, Rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  08:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Angie, that helped a lot I really had no clue what it was and the laughing part well my hubby was snickering at me this morning that I didn't know it or have even heard of it. Any how I'll have to start looking for that while I'm out now that I know a little more about it I know what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

Now so much for my seeing the sunrise this morning there is nothing but clouds around here and well what happened to my sunrise well any how at least I have you girls and the coffee is good. I'm thinking on getting a brownie those special ones that have the walnuts, chocolate chips yea those sound good and fattening.
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  10:20:23 AM  Show Profile
I was just sorting out a box of linens that were my mother's before she died last summer. In the bottom of the box I found the first sampler I ever made, around 1959 of "Now I lay me down to sleep, I ask the Lord my soul to keep." I can't believe she kept it. It has never been mounted so I'm going to have it done. The fibers are just as soft and clear as they were when I made it. Talk about a blast from the past. So many things hold precious memories. I'll try to send a picture of it when it's finished.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  1:53:59 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad I could help all of you learn a little something. As I understand it the kind used for coffee would be Common chicory (Cichorium intybus)or is also known as blue sailors, succory, and coffeeweed. It is also called cornflower, although that name is more properly applied to Centaurea cyanus. It is the roots that are used. They are baked and ground into coffee. I do understand there is also a variety that is used for grazing. I was just reading on that. Here is some more on chicory...The young leaves can be used in salads, and the root can also be boiled and eaten like a vegetable (it's related to endive and radicchio). It's also grown for cattle food in Europe. The flowers are blue-purple, and will open and close at precisely the same time every day.I do not think Endive or Radicchio are the samething, justa related to it. I also understand that coffee can be made from roasted acorns,yams,other graind and nuts. Add these to chicory and you have old time coffee. I love the flavor. It is unilke anything else I know.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  3:26:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!
I don't do chicory in my coffee. I like my coffee super strong, light sugar, and a bit of cream or milk. Sometimes when my Sweetie (hubby) makes the coffee it is so strong I get the shakes. LOL. Once, I crocheted an entire hat after two cups of his coffee. LOL.
Nancy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I bet finding that stuff brought lots of memories. How about all going outside, off the porch, to see the sunset.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  04:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I am so sorry for your loss.
I agree... lets step of the porch and enjoy the sunset. I know it will be great [if only the sun would come out around here, none for a while].

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile
I said I did the sampler in 1959. It was actually 1949! Lordy, I'm getting old!

Mom is much better off where she is now. She had lost her sight to macular degeneeration and was living in terror all the time of falling. Now she sees only sunny skies and all the flowers she loved so much in life. That knowledge makes grief much easier to handle.

Angie, we live near each other and so we're both seeing only drizzle and gray skies. At least the snow is melting...just in time for more tomorrow. I don't know about you, I'm getting weary of this Winter.

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  11:16:26 AM  Show Profile
I just did 8 pints of tomatos and am working on drying 2 racks in my oven. I am taking a minute to sit on the porch! It's misty rain here but it makes the field around my house look beautiful.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page