Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  10:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Angela, hope you feel better soon. This weather has a lot of folks down for the count. Sorry to hear about your greenhouse. We want to put one up next year and are trying to think of what veggies we want to keep over winter in the place. Keith wants to grow a "cash crop" but I want flowers and herbs. Any suggestions?

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Nancy~ You can "cash in" on flowers and herbs too. Lavender and basil are just a couple of thoughts.

Angela~ Sorry the greenhouse was a bust, but sounds like you hit the mother load on supplies for the chicken coop!

I have been at it all morning, painting the kitchen. Good thing my mom wasn't here. She would have had my head for some of the ways I was dangling off that ladder trying to paint the high spots. LOL No fears. It's all done and I didn't even come close to falling off. I've a bit of a problem, the new can of paint doesn't match the old. Poop on it. I painted behind the hutch with it anyway. One of these days I pulling the ugly drop ceiling out and it will have to be redone again anyway. But I'm not sure what to paint my cabinets. I'm toying with a couple of color ideas. What do you think gals?
This is a creamy yellow color.

And this is a spongy brown/black

This is the part I have put back together so far. I still have quite a bit left to do as far as dusting and putting the knick knacks back.

Hugs~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  5:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Love the yellow and the hutch but not so much the black and brown. I'd have to see that in person to appreciate it. As for the cash crop...I've thought about growing lavendar on our meadow land. Keith says it will be too much work for us. We'll see. I like growing herbs and making dip mixes. They're easy and can fill up the piggy bank quite nicely.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  5:56:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi porchies! It's been quite busy around here the past few days!
Kimberly, welcome to the porch! You'll find lots of joy and company around here, and the women on here are just fabulous!
Melanie, all the pictures look great! Your house looks so cozy!
Angela, so good to see you on here again:)
It's been a quiet couple of days for me. Just doing homework and chilling out. No forensics meet for me for a couple of weeks, so it's been nice not having to worry about that! But otherwise, no change. It snowed a little on Friday, but alas, Mother nature loves us here and it all melted! I hope everyone had a good weekend!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Sacredwind
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kimberly
Osage City KS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  7:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Sacredwind a Yahoo! Message
I have to agree with nabrown, love,love, love the hutch and yellow but i think the brown paint job would be something you would have to see in person.

I printed out the badge list requirments and I have been going through and writing down ones I could start working on. I pulled out my kniting stuff from a long time ago and pulled out the teach yourself to knit book again....yeesh kniting takes a longggg time, after 3 hours I have a 2 inch by 12 inch strip done, how long will it take me to just complete this large pot holder? Maybe I should try crochet? I hear its much faster.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  05:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks gals! The hutch belonged to my grandma. It's solid maple and weighs a ton. It was loads of fun to pulling out and pushing back in.

It's back to school for the kiddos. Spring break is over. I'm feeling kind of bummed this morning. I did some figuring last night and came up with so far I have put $1500 into the house (this isn't counting the roof). That doesn't sound so bad, but what that covers is some electrical work, minor plumbing and a bedroom for Caitie upstairs and of course Cousin Bob's time for doing the work. I know 1500 is still a good price cause it would have cost me a ton more with anyone else. The problem is, the house fund is running out and I still have three bedrooms and a furnace to take care of. Then I said asomething to my guy about it last night and he didn't say anything at all. He could help, but I won't ask (it's just something about me I can't stand asking for help and I know I should get past this) and he hasn't offered to help. I'm sure Cousin Bob will be upset, but I'm going to tell him that I'm going to have to cut back. I really wish he would just do the wiring and I can do the rest. But he looks like he's going to pop a blood vessel everytime I suggest it. Ok enough of my pitty party.

Today I just have one client to clean for. Should only take a couple of hours then I get to come back home and hopefully finish my kitchen. I think I'm really going to like it when it's finished.

Have a great day!
Hugs~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  07:05:39 AM  Show Profile

Hi My Porchies...thought you might like to see "Snickers". He is doing so well for only having been with us for one week. He is the easiest dog I have ever had to puppy train, I am happy to say. I think
that God is just being kind to me in my old age. lol

Melanie...Is your honey man going to be moving into your home when you get married? Seems like he should be helping out financially if he is. I know it might be a hard thing to talk about...but you need to find the courage and bite the bullet. ~ I too love your hutch and the pretty golden/yellow color on the walls. What colors were you thinking of for your cabinets? I can tell that you aren't afraid of "color" which is a good thing. Having rented a good part of my life I get pretty sick of white or beige walls. I am a huge fan of adding lots of color to those walls with pictures, all kinds of Art-work, bright rugs over the ugly rental beige carpeting etc. So...go for the color girl...just because you can. Make it your happy place!

Judy...when I read your last post...I read it wrong and thought you said that you were 17 when you woke up. I just wanted to know what you drank before you went to bed. ha ha

Kimberly...I was going to suggest that you downloaded all the Merit Badge Stuff, glad you figured that out. I did that when I first joined MJF...but quickly found that I liked doing Swaps and Barters more than earning Badges...so I switched over to more fun things...badges seemed like too much work...besides I felt like I was going backwards in my crafting skills having to do beginner projects. You should be able to just jump in at your skill-level and do advanced badges not work backwards then forwards. Listen to me whine, whine, whine! lol

Lida...are you going to be able to make it to your sons graduation ceremony? I hope so. Also praying for you to find a PT Person for the Re-sale Store...so you don't have to handle all that extra work load. It seems like with the economy the way it is people would be beating your door down for work opportunities of any kind.

Nancy...are those heart shaped Japanese Walnuts edible? I love heart shaped anything in nature. I collect heart shaped rocks. When I find them...I always feel like God is just throwing his love at my feet.

Staci...any news on hubbies job interview? I'm praying he gets it!

Angela...hope you are feeling better now and pretty much over that flu. Sorry to hear that the Green House was such a wreck and not worth hauling and fixing up. But sounds like you are still running into some great deals on others things. God is good to his children! Keeps the blessings flowing!

Miss Happy Megan...You are like a little ray of sunshine, even if your life is just normal and routine sometimes. We love that about you. You brighten our lives! Have you done any more volunteer work at the Soup Kitchen lately?

Well, I am off to track down the puppy and see where he is hiding out. I need a little more sleep. The rainy weather exhausts me. So, the dogs and I are going back to bed for awhile. Leaving you all some apple crumb muffins and pots of coffee and tea on the Porch. Enjoy...I already had mine. They were yummy!

Quote for today: "To create makes me feel alive!

Love and Hugs,
~peggy

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 28 2011 07:16:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  07:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Morning porchies! Another cold morning here. It dropped into the single digits just north of us. Spring is sure taking its time getting here. I've been MIA with my son home and it took a while to get caught up on everybody and everything, but I think I've done it lol.

Lida - Sorry to hear you're having problems getting workers for the store. I wonder how much the cost of gas is factoring into people not applying.

Angela - Sorry you have the flu. It's been a horrible year for it.

Melanie - I love the yellow and cabinet. I'm not a big fan of the sponged look, but that's my personal thing.

Kimberly - Welcome to the group. Knitting is something that picks up speed once you get use to it. Crochet does work up faster, but the look is totally different. A dishcloth normally takes me roughly 5 or 6 hours to complete depending on the design and size. You might want to check out youtube videos on knitting techniques to help pick up speed. Also, continental knitting is supposed to be faster then throw knitting, so you might want to try both and see which feels more confortable. Don't give up!

Saturday we went to Ikea for the first time. All I can say is WOW. We went for a tv stand but ended up with a bed frame that looks like an antique iron bed and a hanging umbrella for over the picnic table. Now we just need to figure out which of the tv units we want. Sunday was our first day in weeks to relax. The man got the bed frame together and did his fantasy football drafts (sigh). I took several comforters to the laundry mat. Before I left for the laundry mat I put a pot of stew in the oven and by the time I got home it was smelling quite delish. After I got back we kicked back and watched the rest of Doc Martin season 1 (british series). It felt so good to just relax.

Well need to get back to work. Hope everybody has many blessings throughout the day.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  07:59:44 AM  Show Profile
Tammy...I'm sooo jealous you got to go to IKEA! The closest one to us is in Cincinnati (spelling?) and I get the catalog but you can't have things shipped to you. That's a bummer or maybe not. I'd probably end up broke since they have so much neat stuff.
Melanie, The other gals are right...if your sweetie is a real partner, he'd be pitching in in every way to help you complete your home. It took me three husbands before I got the courage to speak up and now I'm blessed with the greatest helpmate possible in every way. Feeling like you can't discuss an issue as big as finance is not the way to build a healthy relationship. Sorry to put in my 2 cents but I'm almost 70 and have lived long enough to be allowed to offer an opinion or two. And you've lived long enough to decide if my opinion is worth taking. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  7:46:34 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, I don't get spring break for another three weeks! Your kids are lucky!
Peggy, Snickers is so adorable! You are lucky to have two poochies to spoil and love! And thank you so much! I haven't been to the soup kitchen lately, but hopefully soon!
Just a regular day today! I have started writing fan fiction, so I've been keeping busy with that and crocheting hats for another farmgirl charity project. I can do it while I do other things, so it's easy for a busy gal like me! Love to all my sisters on the porch!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  05:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Cute, cute, cute!! Peggy, Snickers is adorable! I know you and Nancy are right about honey man. We'll see how this goes. I have the strangest feeling that in the long run it's just going to be me on my own fixing this old house, raisin the kids.... Not that I'm afraid of doing it on my own, but it would be nice to have someone to share a life with. You know not grow old by myself. Ahhhh well anyhooo......

The gas man was here yesterday. We had these ancient gas space heaters still hooked up in the house and I wanted them out. Now messing with gas is like messing with major electrical, I don't touch it. First couple weren't terribly bad. The last one in my mamaw's old room (where she probably spent 90% of her time) was horrible. You should have seen all the grit and junk come out of that pipe. The gas man had me look at it to show me how bad it was. And out of curiosity I asked him how bad it would be for someone who spent most of her time in this room and this heater was her primary heat source. He told me it would be bad, really bad. They would have headaches, nausea and sleep a lot. Hmmm that summed up my mamaw. It's awful to think that so many of the problems she had were preventable and her doctor never asked her about her "home life," just kept precribing her meds. At one time she was on 13 different pills! But I learned a lot from the gas man yesterday. He's even going to get me a quote on a new high efficiency system and installation.

Well ladybugs, I'm off to take the kids to school and go to work for a few hours. This week is going to feel like a vacation. I have almost nothing going on! Yippee!!

Have a great day!
Hugs to you all~ Melanie

Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  05:22:52 AM  Show Profile
Morning porch sisters!
Peggy, Snickers is tooooo cute. I'm glad that he is easy, that's always a blessing.
Lida, I hope you're able to get help at the thrift soon. I know the shops around here are extra busy right now with customers so I'm sure that keeps things moving, too.
Melanie - the creamy yellow gets my vote, too. Cheerful!
Kimberly, you got me thinking about the badges again. You can review some of those and past experience and projects count toward them. I went through a couple of the catagories and earned all 3 levels just for things that I've already done. Have fun.

We have another track meet today, my son is a jumper and I think he just likes the season for socializing with his friends.That's ok. He graduates in a few months and I want him to enjoy the time he has left. My DD is a sprinter and much more competitive than her big bro. Today should be a little warmer than last week, so maybe she can lose the sweats and pick up some speed.

I just began the process to be on Farmmade.com that PattiAnn started. So, today will be getting photos and info gathered up and still getting ready for the show next week. I'll let you all know when I have something on the site. I had considered etsy but to start out, this seemed like a great fit and I love being connected to other FGs.

Prayer alert my DH has a follow up meeting today at 1:30 with the owner of a company that he would really like to work for. Please ask for God's favor in this and that he will make good impression. Thank you all so much for your continued support!

Hugs to all, you are so special!! I'd try to list the names but know I'd forget someone, so glad that the porch has so many sisters.

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  08:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, Snickers is adorable.
Melanie, it certainly is true that doctors these days just seem to be pushing pills. The doctor, title used loosely, had my DH on 3 different heart pills before he died and it wasn't his heart at all.
Staci, praying for that job to come through.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  09:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Cherime & Melanie - totally agree. Doctor's are poorly educated in common sense any more and over educated in how to write prescriptions by the drug companies. It would be nice if they'd rise up and start a revolution in medical reform themselves to be able to give their patients the best possible medical treatment.

Peggy - Snickers is adorable. They are so cute at that age.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. I can see everyone is busy as usual. Not much going on for me. No news on the job front. I finally got a kittie door for my bedroom window so they can go out. It was a bit stressful for me. They are doing fine. They sniffed every inch of the backyard. I'm getting everyone collars and tags today.
I took a chance and dyed my hair yesterday. It looks wonderful. It is a dark burgundy/brown with purple highlights. I love it. I kept my grey streak as I'm pretty happy with that and it is natural.
My mom drove her car for the first time yesterday. Yea! No more chauffeuring her around. I'm sure she will like the freedom again too.

Melanie, I think the yellow for the cabinets is too much if your walls are yellow. I would paint them white against the yellow walls and add color with curtains, pictures, table cloths etc. Just my two cents worth. Either that or paint your walls white with yellow cabinets. As far as the money and help around the house from honey man... girl you better deal with that before you get married. I just assumed everything with my last husband and it didn't go well. He resented any money spent on my kids or me personally. He even hated spending money on his kids. Anything to do with gifts... was my responsibility. I should have known but choose to ignore it. I paid for it later. Please sit down and work out the financial arrangements soon. Are you doing any marriage counseling with your church? They know to deal with that in the sessions. As far as help around the house.. that too needs to be addressed. It will cause tension later on.

Peggy, Snickers is very cute. I bet he is a bundle of energy. Hopefully he isn't too much for Bella.

Staci, I hope the meeting for your DH went well. I know how stressful these can be. Good jobs are so hard to find. I'm in the process of looking too.

Megan, you are such a busy girl. I wish I had had as much energy at your age.

Well, I met a new friend yesterday. The lady that dyed my hair is a family friend ( she did it for free). We are suppose to go to dinner tonight. I'm thinking of asking her to take me to her church this Sunday. I hate church hopping and haven't found one I wanted to go to yet. So, hopefully I'll meet some new people that way. She also knows someone that works at the optical place I applied for.. she said she would put in a good word. She is my sister's best friend and has heard stories about me forever. It is who you know not what you know in little towns like this.She knows everyone being a hair dresser.

Later for now, everyone stay healthy and warm!

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  12:46:30 PM  Show Profile
Melanie...you are going to get sick of everyone's opinions on your honey man...but like Nancy said, we have lived longer and been married several times. For me it took 3 marriages before I finally asked my current husband (of 25 yrs now) "What he planned to bring to the marriage?" I knew from past experience that I brought 250% but I quickly grew tired of being the only one giving in the marriage. I would rather live alone and do everything by myself...than live with a husband who made me feel like I was still living a lone and doing everything myself. That is totally spoiled and selfish on his part. My husband now...had the right answers by the way, when I asked him that difficult question. The problem was...I had never asked it of my other two spouses(big mistake!) So, think real hard before you say "I do"...because if he is just going to act like a boyfriend...not a partner...then I would keep him as a boyfriend. Even good marriages like mine...have highs and lows...and take lots of work to make them successful! So, don't start out with strikes against the relationship from the get-go. OK...I promise to not give you any more marriage advice...but if it helps, I was a Women's Counselor before I had to medically retire.

Staci...just sent up an extra prayer for hubbies interview. Sounds promising though huh?

Bunny...well Church would be a good place to meet more people and establish more friendships(male and female). Sounds like your hairdresser/friend is going to be a good friend indeed and need. Smile! ~ So glad to hear that your mom is driving again and able to help herself a bit, that is awesome. ~ And good for you for getting a new hair color...LIFT! That always made me feel better about myself. Now with my fibro...I can't lift my arms to color it anymore so I just
let it go grey. I always said that I would never have grey hair as long as I lived. "Never-say-Never!"...because sure enough that is the very thing you end up doing.

Megan...do you guys use a certain pattern for the hats you make to give away? Let me know a little more about that (feel free to just email me).

Cherime...you are so right about some doctors and what they prescribe for people so freely. It really is bad sometimes.That is why they are called, "Practicing Physicians" Thanks for the compliments on Snickers. He is a peep and a hoot!

RSF Tammy...We need to rise up and protest what is going on in the Medical Field...because I am afraid that it is only going to get worse. I am 59 and I see people my age and older where the medical professionals just don't want to help...because Medicare doesn't pay them enough and/or The Baby Boomer Generation is just exploding and keeping them overwhelmed with all their medical needs. So, to subscribe a pill or 6 is easier to do...just to get them in and out of their offices. Sure, people live longer these days but it doesn't happen without good medical practices. The older you get...the more the medical industry just wants to make you go away...not help you. So, sad but true. I saw this start happening about 15-20 years ago with my MIL first and it has only escalated over the years.

Well, I think I should go have some lunch and do something useful today, like start on my April Mail-Art or something. Will chat more later girls...

blessings,
~peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

Edited by - LadyInRed on Mar 29 2011 12:57:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sacredwind
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kimberly
Osage City KS
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Sacredwind a Yahoo! Message
MElanie...I agree to a sit down and not only ask what he is bringing to the marriage but also what his goals in life are and what kind of life he wants to live. Make sure you are on the same page.

Bunny... Good luck on the job, and I know how frustating it is to move where you dont know anyone. Chruch sounds like a great idea to find new freinds, Im sure you will find some nice friends soon to hang out with.

Peggy.... I love snickers! so very cute!

FINALY got my milk stand done! IT is so much easyer to milk myself now...lol, no more feet in the buckets and having to wait for hubby to get home to hold them still while i milk. Its been quit a circus at milking times. I am milking 3 and have 3 more due this week or maybe one next week not sure exactly on her due date. Now to sell some of these bottle babys. Its amazing how wierd people think I am, "eeewww why dont you just buy your chicken/eggs/milk at the store like norml people" "I am not eating anything from a chickens butt" yeesh, whre do these folks think their food comes from? Heck I was even called an animal horder, I have 2 little pet tiny dogs and 6 pet rats, everything else is Livestock or LGDs. Sorry for the little rant, had a bad morning at work, brought my own milk and cereal for "lunch" last night ( I work night shifts) and oh boy did I hear all about it becouse I did not want to use store bought milk.

LOOK I GOT MY SISTERHOOD NUMBER!

Kimberly
Farmgirl sister # 2894

Edited by - Sacredwind on Mar 29 2011 1:58:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  3:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Hi all! Wow! Everyone has been so busy lately.

Peggy-Snickers is just too adorable for words. I want to kiss his little face all over!

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  4:30:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
First, welcome to the new porch sisters!

Peggy- Snickers is adorable! I just love puppy breath

Lida-Sorry the store is having problems finding people, it's always frustrating to hear about the jobs market and then hear about your situation

Dianne-thank you so much for the ornament! It's super cute. My only problem is keeping these little treasures away from the kids, they love 'em too!

I've been super busy with life but still love checking in with everyone. I still have a few pages to catch up on in earnest but I've tried to skim thru everyone's posts to try and see how everyone is doing. We had a ton of snow last week and over the week-end and today it's 60ish and will be in the 70's by the weekend. Poor spring is trying so hard to come out. Guess it's time to start my seedlings!

Take care ladies!

Dana-farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on Mar 29 2011 4:32:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  07:20:38 AM  Show Profile
Quick update - my DH is going on a ride along Thursday and 2 or 3 days next week to see if he will be a good fit for them and if he'd like the work. The job sounds amazing!
Just what he would hope to be doing for the rest of his working years. Thank you all so much for the encouragement and prayers - keep 'em up. We both feel that this is the one and that we're almost there. And Bunny - it really can be about who you know - that's how we found out about this opportunity. Hoping the best for you, too.

Hugs all around and I'm leaving some banana nut muffins and HIghland Blend tea.

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Mar 30 2011 07:21:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  08:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Hi Porchies Old and new !

Melanie~there is no way I am not going to offer some advice on your BF. Sit back, get some tea and just read this. Then you decide what is right for you. I have always been right to the point. I don't try to sugarcoat anything just to make someone fell good when I know in the long run they would be hurt. Here goes GF! You seem to have a BF that is actually acting as another one of your kids. Do you want that? If you do then learn to deal with it. IT IS NOT EASY~ you will be doing everything to please him and eventually it will make you be someone you don't know. I know because that is what happened to me. He is bringing his son along which gives you 1 more kid to deal with. Now you went from 3 to 5 kids! I raised my husband's 2 boys, 2 and 4, then had our 2 and him=5! To this day he has never even said TY for anything I did. Just blames me because of everything that ever happened in his life and his 2 kids. I blame myself because I allowed it. DON"T do it to yourself. No matter how much you love him it WON'T be enough. Remember that when you get that ring on your finger 1/2 of your house becomes his if that is what your state says. Who do you want your house to go to? Your kids or him and his. If he isn't helping now then he won't help later, financially or otherwise. Seems to me he wanted to get married after you got the house free and clear. I would just stay GF and BF and don't move them in. Big mistake at this point unless he MAN UPS! Good luck on that one. The only way he will Really love you is to be a partner in everything. Better to be alone than to bring drama to your kids. They have already gone through it once. These things are just meant for you to think things trough. In the end you will decide. God does not want us to fail. He wants us to win. Remember that and seek him. He will always love you. We have been through all this stuff only want for you not to. Had I taken my Mother's advice my life might have been so much more than it is.

Peggy~Snickers is the perfect name for that cutie!

Staci~Prayers continue. God is good!

Bunny~Good for you! One step at a time and God will lead where you should go.

Mediactions and Doctors~ you know I have to spout off here. Too many pills given,REQUESTED and taken. Many people go into the doctor and request all the meds they are given! Ads on TV only entice the behavior. No one unless they are terminal should be on every pill known to man. This hurts, that hurts, pill. Can't sleep, pill. Upset stomach, pill. Costipated, pill. Dizzy, pill. Nervous, pill. Depressed, pill. You get the picture? I have given 21 pills at one time to one patient. Crazy! Side effects of one pill can be many. Now add the rest and what do you get? Then add in the people who have several doctors and don't inform them of the others and the meds they are on! Some is the doctors fault and some the patient. YOU are your own best advocate.Speak Up. I hate to break it to you all but alot of doctors do not like the elderly and fat people. Once you hit a certain age it's all downhill! There are many caring and Responsible doctors out ther if you can find them. Twice when I was in the ER after my car accident the same person tried to give me something I was highly allergic to. My throat and tongue swell and if you do not get an intervention you are dead. Thank God I was alert and refused both times. I could go on and on but I won't!

Almost April! Blueberry muffins and bananna bread in a basket on the porch. Help yourself. Good food and conversation to nourish the soul beats any meds out there! Some Praise music playing in the background. Be still and listen for the Lord!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  09:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Darlene, good advice to Melanie. Melanie, I know you are probably rolling your eyes at all of us. But trust me we do all care and have been there. As hard as it is for me right now.. I would rather be poor and alone than with a man that is a pain in the you know what. At least everything is up to me or from MY bad judgement.
I also agree with the medication issue. I found out my stepfather who is in the local Veterans home is taking $5000.00 worth of meds ... a MONTH. Same thing, gout, bad dreams, make him sleep, heart burn, etc. He can hardly speak over the phone due to the drugs they give him. Yes, he is going in to major dementia and has many medical problems. But heaven forbid they would deal with it through diet and then add medication as needed. Thankfully my mom doesn't have to pay for all of this. But I was astounded at the cost.

Anyway, had a wonderful dinner with my new friend. She has known my sister since they were 15. She saw my purses and said she would love to put thiem in her beauty shop. I'm also going to make some fabric headbands with fabric roses for her too. To day is going to be rain on and off so sewing in the basement should be nice.
Later porchies.

Bunny

www.bunnyrose.com

Not all who wander are lost...
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:26:54 AM  Show Profile
I noticed some of you girls mentioned meds for bad dreams and sleeping pills. I had a wonderful doctor when I first switched from my pediatrician to a regular family doctor. My pediatrician had put me on meds for bad dreams, then had to add meds for sleepin, then had to add meds for depression. My regular dr said the dream meds caused sleepin problems, then the sleepin pills caused depression, then the depression pills caused nightmares! I was on a merry go round of side effect meds when all I needed was an allergy med! He even let me transition from the pill to bee pollen and food control. still have bad dreams, but they usually only signal the beginnin of the cottonwood pollen season, which is when I double up on the bee pollen!

I worry about meds and how many people are on meds for side effects of other meds. My mom was up to 32 pills a day at one time and I threw a fit to her dr's nurse. She spent a week researchin her medical history and reworked her meds. Now she only takes 10 and they are needed for sure. I think her havin to take a stomache pill and a sleep aid are needed because her meds upset her stomache and some of her pills disturb her sleep. I feel like 2 for unavoidable side effects isn't bad. I do know she doesn't take the sleep aid everyday, her pain meds usually put her to sleep at night anyhow.

A good nurse is worth the price of a dr's visit or 2 when they listen to you.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  11:07:31 AM  Show Profile
On men. My first husband was a drunk. I got real smart with the second one and married my friend. Best move I ever made. I knew every fault and every good point he had. He had kids that regularly came up to "stay" and made our lives miserable but in the end it all worked out. I did not make a distinction between his and mine and neither did he because I would not allow that. Take me take my kids. Now even though he is dead, the kids still keep in touch with me. However I have NO plans to marry again. I do not think there is another one like him out there and I do not plan to take any chances on getting a lemon from the love tree.
On Meds. NO joke ladies. All those commercials that are telling you to take this or that for something that would not have even thought of as a disease, are a bunch of hooey. If you have to tell you doctor if you have a liver problem, you need another doctor. And they absolutely loose interest in you if your past a certain age and over weight. I am 67 and the gynecologist that I had to see for the cancer crud could not believe that all I took was an occasional baby aspirin or small advill. Ok so my shoulder aches now and again, I burp up once in a while, occasionally one of my knees hurts big deal, I am 67. Lady friend of mine has stage 4 bone cancer and the turkeys are giving her chemo and did not bother to tell her of the side effects. Then she got shortness of breath and they gave her bp meds and the only way that she found out that she was suffering from almost all of the possible side effects was by reading the stuff the pharmacist gave her. Doctors and drug companies, a match made in hell.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  11:33:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gals!
Peg...Caaa-uuute "Pup-Dog" You wondered what (I) was drinking to make me 17 in the morning??? I don't even remember age 17!!! AND WHAT were YOU drinking while you were reading that???LOLOLOLOL Too funny girl!!Nancy...I saw those Japanese walnut trees just this week in a seed catalogue DH and I were drooling over. Cute heart shaped nuts.
RFMTammy...Netflix has Doc Martin. I may have to check that one out. I loooove British shows.
Staci...BIG hugs back atcha! Prayin that that job is perfect for your Hubby and that they like him too!
Bunny...so happy to hear that your Ma is driving again. Gets her out of the house and your hair awhile. I am so tickled to hear that your new friend is going to be a plus to you. Selling your things in her shop is wonderful for you....an employment answer to prayer for you. At the least.... a start!
Well, it's 35/gray/snowy today. YUK!!
Time for tea and a good read!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page