Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  04:13:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies -

Thanks so much for the warm welcome - I'd love some porch time right about now! September is my busiest month, so probably won't have much sittin' time until October!

Darlene - could you please explain a little about the swap? I'm not sure what is involved, but sounds like it would be fun! Oh, and my birthday is October 9.

I worked at a show on Saturday (making home-made ice cream) and then spent yesterday in the woods. We are going to try sugaring this winter/spring, so were trying to figure out where to run all the tap and trunk lines. It was a gorgeous day to be out.

This coming weekend we work both days at a farm show, and then I'm off to Vermont and Maine for a few days.

Hope to meet up with you all on the porch - oh, and I'll make us a shoofly pie and some hot cider to keep us warm - it's starting to get real chilly around here!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  05:50:21 AM  Show Profile
Morning ladies! What a beautiful weekend.... I had a great time at the Uprise Fest on Saturday and spent Sunday afternoon recuping - I discovered that sitting on the ground and getting up and down is a lot harder than it used to be.lol. But the music and company were great.

Peggy - I'm so glad you're back and had a wonderful trip. Your retreat sounds fabulous!!!!
Lea, welcome! I hope you're feeling better today.
Lida - you go girl (literally!) - your adventure run sounds awesome....I'm not into actual running -but the whole nature aspect of canoeing, hiking, biking is intriguing.
Luanne - whew- you're a busy bee (sorry.... couldn't resist). The ice cream sounds yummy and so does the upcoming trip - Enjoy!
Megan - which album date should we be looking at?
Pam - dancing in the rain to Willie...what a blast!
Bunny - yeah! on the sales!
Tammy, I hope the fish do well for you and the butterflies.
I hope everyone has a great week. I'll be back later and I'll bring some double chocolate muffins.

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on Sep 20 2010 05:51:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  08:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everyone. Had a good day yesterday in sales. Of course people who never spend any money came in and bought. I was good and behaved. No sarcastic comments. I just thanked God for bringing them in so I could take their money. It is hard to hear them all tell me how sorry they are I'm closing while they hold a bag from a really nasty quilt store from the next town over. I just say a little prayer every morning to keep my smile on.. "create in me a new heart.. oh Lord...." I can do this.
However, it was nice to have more cash to stash away for the move.
My son is here and we are going to talk to his favorite doctor. Hopefully she can help him clear his mind of all the panic and stress and make some good decisions about his job.
Peggy, so glad you had a wonderful trip. I could use a retreat about now.
Having a wonderful day off with my son..
until tomorrow!

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  09:13:27 AM  Show Profile
That's great Bunny. Take their money and know that they will miss you when you are gone.
Peggy, glad that you have a good time. But, there's no bad time with God.
Everyone have a great day.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Luanne...we are very happy that you are here and I enjoyed reading your posts. You do sound like a busy little
bee! I have never had Shoofly Pie (sang songs about it and heard of it) what's in it? You know us
Northerners we eat mostly Fruit and Cream Pies or Cheese-cakes!
Staci...was the Uprise Fest a Christian Festival or what? Glad you had a good time at it!
Lida...you are our token Athlete! No wonder you look younger than you are...you take great care
of that body of yours! You just Keep it up and live to be 105 and enjoy living!
Pam...dancing in the rain to Willie sounds like a blast! Sounds more like Mucking in the rain than dancing
but who cares huh? That's the Great Northwest for ya...wet and wild but we love it because it's GREEN!
Darlene...hey girlfriend thanks for getting all this swapping and birthdays organized for us! This will be
so much fun!
Bunny...just keep praising God that they are spending money no matter what they did in the past. It's a new
day and a new chapter and a new adventure. They spend and you profit and are helped in the long run.
That is what matters...so just count your blessings and don't look back!
Cherime...you are absolutely spot-on girl...there is NO bad time with God! From your lips to my heart!

Well, my hubby did nothing but mess up the apartment while I was gone so I better go get some cleaning done
as I take off again this Thursday through Sunday for Seattle to play with my Grand-daughter! This will be as
much fun as Retreat or even better!

Rested and Blessed,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com
A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 20 2010 1:08:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  4:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Hi, sisters...To those in the swap please allow me to wait until I hear from Luanne. I emailed her about the swap and if I don't hear back until tomorrow I will post the partners sometime tomorrow.

Peg...So glad you had a great time. Glad you're back.

Please pray for me and my family. I can't even talk about it now but I will.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  5:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Staci! You're looking at the most recent album DSHA vs. Vernon.
Today I have so much homework! I can't sit for long, but maybe I'll bring my Cultures homework and sit a spell:)
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  04:15:20 AM  Show Profile
PeggyAnn - Shoofly pie is one of those things you will either love or hate. It is VERY sweet! The filling is made with dark molasses, brown sugar, egg, baking soda and cream of tartar. The crumb topping is more brown sugar, flour & Crisco. I make what they call a "wet bottom" pie, which means it is gooey. There is also a "dry bottom" version that is more cake-like. I'll send you the recipe if you'd like to try it.

Darlene - I'd love to participate in the swap and I e-mailed you. I'm new at swaps, so will need a little coaching from the group! I'm so sorry you're having family problems - please know prayers are winging your way. I'm not far away if there is anything I can do to help you.

Forgot to mention that my home computer died, so until I get it fixed I will only be in touch during the week when I can use the computer at work. Darn...........

I'm really looking forward to getting to know everybody here - I need to go back and read some of the old posts to catch up on what everyone is doing.

It was chilly here in northeast PA this AM - a light frost on the rooftops and grass on my way to work. It's supposed to warm up into the 70's this afternoon, so think I'll do my porch sittin' then!!

OK - off to get some coffee and then better actually get to work!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  06:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
I've always wanted to try Shoofly pie. It sounds good to me.
Peggy-I'm glad you had a good weekend and it sounds like this weekend is exciting too!

I made some cinnamon chocolate chip sticky buns for everyone-dig in!

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  07:37:41 AM  Show Profile
Here's the shoofly pie recipe for anyone who wants to try it. Be sure you use a good, dark molasses:

Wet Bottom Shoo-Fly Pie

1 unbaked pie shell
1 egg (beaten)
1 cup baking (dark) molasses
2/3 cup hot water
1 tsp. Baking soda
pinch of cream of tartar (helps keep it from bubbling over)

Crumbs:
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 tbsp. shortening
1 cup flour

Stir hot water and baking soda together. Add molasses and stir. Slowly add beaten egg and cream of tartar. Mix crumb ingredients together. Reserve 1 cup of crumbs for the top of the pie. Mix the rest of the crumbs and liquid ingredients together and put into unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs on the top. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, then drop the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the top is light brown.

Enjoy!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  08:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Had a wonderful day with number one son yesterday. His doctor put him on medical disability for a few months to give him time to feel better and look for new job. I could see he is still uneasy about it. I think he will feel better as time goes by. But I also think it was a big relief to have a way to heal and get his life back in order.

Pam, cinnamon chocolate chip sticky buns.. I'm so going to stake out your house when I get to Oregon. They sound heavenly... with a cup of tea of course.

Darlene, will say prayers for you. I hate that everyone has so many things to be stressed about.

Luanne, I think I have had shoo-fly pie.. a little like pecan pie with out the pecans? Very sweet as I remember.

Megan, you are so good for doing your homework. I was always waiting for the last minute. However, I did get through high school in 3 years.

Well, time to get ready for work. Tuesdays are usually snoozers.. hopefully that won't be the case. I'll have to get the sewing machine warmed up just in case. I can always find sewing to do to keep me busy.

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  09:37:06 AM  Show Profile
Bunny, Yeah God! Sounds like just the RX for your son.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  5:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
OK SWAP PORCHIES HERE ARE THE PARTNERS, I HAD MY HUSBAND DRAW THE PAIRS:
LIDA and JANET
PEG and BUNNY
PAM and MEGAN
LUANNE and STACI
TAMMY and DARLENE

EMAIL EACH OTHER TO GET EACH OTHERS ADDRESSES. MAIL OUT IS 9/30.

Glad to talk you through this Luanne. I will email you.

Blessings All I will get back on here later and THANKS for the prayers,

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  6:14:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, God is working over time with my son and I... I hope I don't jinx this by even talking about it.. but both of us got interesting news on the same day.. go figure. He got a call from a company he applied for a month ago.. really wanted the job and thought they weren't interested. He had a voice mail on his phone to call them back. yeah!! I got a call from my mom.. a new quilt shop opened in her town and my mom went to visit. I'm sure she bragged a little too much but the owner said I shouldn't have a sale.. she may want to purchase my inventory from me.. and.... she needs a store manager 2 weeks each month while she goes to her other store in another state.. and... she would love to have me teach quilting classes. I'm going to call her tomorrow..
says lots of prayers for me ladies. This could really be the miracle my son and I both need.
So excited!...Murphy... stay away!!!

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  6:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Darlene, could you clarify what we are doing for our swap.. is it just for bdays or can we do stuff just for fun.. what do you mean by Mail out.. I don't want to mess up!

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  7:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, Yeah God!

CMF
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  7:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Bunny this is the Appreciation Swap.Peg is your partner. You just have to do anything for Peg that lets her know she is appreciated. No monetary value on this one. Make something or buy something. It's your choice. We will mail it out by 9/30. Hope this clears it up. I will post our porchies BDs so those that want to can send cards or something else.

Porchies who haven't please post your BD and email me your address.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  7:44:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Porchies,
I tell you I have had a day. Talk about testing my patience and not with the butterflies. By the way fish are doing well. Keep praying.

My oldest stepson is causing some problems and I won't go into details but would you please pray he and his wife will take responsibility for their lives and grow up. we have been dealing with issues for several months and today it sorta just hit the fan. Hubby is very upset. I am trying to keep peace but this is a ruckus that is not going to be easily solved.

After day I came home from work nad ran over one of our beloved kitties. I felt just horrible. Brought me to tears. I loved this kitty. Watching the other kitties lick on it just broke my heart. I thought is was on the porch.

Darlene, could you refresh my mind what we are doing for swap? I can't seem to remember.

Bunny saying a prayer for you. Nothing is impossible for God. He has a plan.

Well ladies I am off to work on bible study lesson and have tea and then bed. Been a long day.

love and hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  7:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Tammy...My familly situation has to do with my oldest stepson and the husbands ex of 45 years! Whew! Hope your situation resolves itself. We'll just keep praying. Sorry about your kitty. You need something strong in your tea after the day you had. The swap is just anything you want to do to show you appreciate your partner. We should get the heck out of Dodge and go on a cruise until these darn kids get it together! How's that for appreciating ? LOL!

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  8:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! Bunny thank you! If you haven't read this in earlier posts, my goal it to become valedictorian when I graduate. How'd you get through high school in three years?
Well, I bought my very first homecoming dress today! I'm very excited! Now just have to figure out all of the details for the night.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  9:28:09 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, I'm so sorry about your day. I would be crying my eyes out. I know how upsetting family issues can be too. I had a stepdaughter that put me over the edge a time or two. I'll say a prayer for you. Hold on.. a nice cup of tea should help a little.
Darlene, thanks for the clarification on the swap. I can't wait!
Megan, I was living in a scary home situation. I have a high school counselor that helped me get all my classes in.. I did summer school right after 8th grade graduation and every year until I was done.

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  10:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Darlen Teacher Tammy...I am so sorry for Your Horrible No Good Rotten Day (kids book title) but seems to fit
maybe a little too perfectly for you today! It is one of those days that you just want to run to your
bedroom, hop in bed and throw the covers over your head and never come out!!! I feel awful for you!!!
I will keep you in my prayers, may Papa God wrap His arms of love around you and never let go! And may
you find comfort in the shelter of His Mighty Wings!
Bunny...Hello Swap Partner, I am so glad to hear the good news about possible interviews for both you and your
son. God is definitely working behind the scenes on your behalves.
Luanne...Thank you for the Shoofly Pie Recipe. We love sharing Recipes on here! Sounds pretty sweet! I am not
a big fan of Pecan Pie or Mince-Meat Pie...is it that sweet????
Megan...what does your homecoming dress look like? You will have to post a picture.
Pam...those cinnamon rolls sound divine! Are there any left? I started pulling my garden plants out today. Oh,
so sad to see it all go. My Tomatoes literally rotted on the vine from all the rain. I managed to salvage
a couple dozen green ones. 6 Heirlooms and the rest Roma's. The Roma's are so puny I am not sure what I
will do with them. Oh well, I'll figure out something!

My husband took the day off of work so I got nothing accomplished around here. Except cooking and pulling plants. Good thing I got quite a bit done yesterday!~Well, off to bed to read for awhile but before I go
I am bringing over several coffee carafes of Autumn Harvest Roast Coffee. It is wonderful...can you smell it
from here? :+)

Hugs and Prayers for all,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com
A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 21 2010 10:21:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  12:29:06 AM  Show Profile
Hello All,
I went to bed at 10:00 PM, which is late for me, and woke up at 1:30 AM. After tossing and turning for over an hour I got up. So, here it is, almost 3:00 AM and I have done some laundry, unloaded the dishwasher and got caught up on the porch happenings. I have been very busy and didn't have time to visit with you all over the past couple of days.

Megan- Pics of your dress please! When is homecoming weekend? Thank you for the link to your rugby team.

Luanne- Thank you for the pie recipe. I have heard that it is very sweet. My DH would love it! He has quite the sweet tooth. He is also a real sweetie!

Bunny- Your news about the quilt shop in your mom's town sounds encouraging! We will keep praying for you and your son.

Peggy- Welcome back! So glad that the retreat was a blessing. LOL about you accomplishing nothing because hubby had a day off! So true! I also get sad when it is time to pull up the garden and put it to bed for the winter. I don;t think that I have to work on Friday so I will be putting much of the garden to bed. I haven;t dug the potatoes in my city garden yet because I don;t have a place to store them. I am trying to make room in the freezer so that I can freeze some as hash-browns and diced up for chowders.

Tammy- Oh no, I am so sorry about your kittie. How tragic and that it happened on an already bad day. Yes, that is a horrible, terrible, very bad, no good day. I find that parenting adult children is more emotionally exhausting that when they were still living at home.

Darlene- Hugs and prayers. Also, lots of gratitude for you getting us organized!

Hello Staci, Janet, Angela, Pam and Chermine!

I canned some peaches on Monday and they look lovely! Usually my caned peaches turn a drab, pale yellow, but these stayed sunny and cheery. I don't know what I did differently. I also canned some applesauce and dehydrated some Roma tomatoes. My grocery budget this summer has been much less because of all of the garden produce and the very affordable farmer's market purchases. This helps me save for my trip to Guatemala in November! Thank you God!

Enough! Gonna go read and see if I can fall back to sleep!

Peace,
Lida

Go to Top of Page

monicarose
True Blue Farmgirl

406 Posts

Monica
Florida
USA
406 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  03:33:44 AM  Show Profile
Goodmorning porchies....missing all of you......just popped in to say hi on my way to work....this job is kicking my but....it could be from notetaking overload...still in training...week three of notes and watching webinars.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...just want to dig into some dirt or bake cookies...yesterday, I found a florist nearby work so walked over on my lunch hour and bought myself a dish garden!!! Anything to brighten the place up and it seems to do the trick..
I haven't forgotten any of you! Love all the photos...will be getting mine out this weekend..sorry I'm so late....my daughter bought a new camera and I thought I was gonna have her get my pic for you all, but she went off on a road trip....so I'll have to have hubby do it! thanks for being patient!!!
hugs to all

Living for today! aka: Paper Rose (Farmgirl# 1780) whoohoo!http://mysistersgardenofthetreasurecoast.blogspot.com/

Edited by - monicarose on Sep 22 2010 03:47:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  04:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Good morning everybody!

It's warmer here in the northeast today - no frost, thank goodness! I'm just not ready for the cold weather yet!

For everybody who asked - yes, shoofly pie is very sweet! It doesn't taste like pecan pie, but has a similar consistency. It has a very strong molasses flavor. It is one of those things you either crave or hate!!

I'm so glad to be included in your swap, and Staci, I will e-mail you and try to figure out how to do this! I'm new at swaps, so forgive me while I learn the ropes.

Hi Bunny - I do so hope the opportunity with the quilt shop works out for you.

Hi Megan - what school do you go to? Since I'm so new I need to catch up on everybody!

Darlene & Tammy - keeping you both in my prayers. I hope things improve for you real soon.

While we're talking about prayers, could I please ask for some for a very dear friend? She is 63 years old, and she and her husband just received permanent custody of their 9 year old granddaughter. The childs father is in jail and the mother is on drugs. My friend is so overwhelmed right now trying to figure out how to take care of this very emotionally troubled child.

It's been a busy week getting ready for the farm show this weekend, but I think I'm almost there. I'm looking at the huge pile in my living room that needs to go and thinking it's never gonna fit in my Honda - may need to make two trips! Thank goodness it's only about 20 miles away!

Tonight my boyfriend (that sounds strange when you're my age, but what else would you call him) and I are going to see The Drifters at a local casino. The company I work for was giving away free tickets, and I was lucky enough to get two. It will be a nice evening, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, and I made brownies last night, so there are some in a tin on the porch for you if you get hungry!

Cheers!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page