Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic
Page: of 669

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  5:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Good Evening Porchies,
A quick posting here. I read about everybody's weekend but don't have time for replies. Prayers for one and all.

Yesterday I worked a lot between visiting the young lady in the hospital and doing something else that only happened because of prayer warriors! Last spring I helped lead a wheelchair drive to collect wheelchairs to be given to people in developing nations. We collected 200 here in western New York and another 100 chairs were donated in Ontario, Canada. However, we ran into major red tape when it came to getting those generous Canadian donations into the US for refurbishing before being shipped all over the world. It took 1.5 years and major prayer support, but the wheelchairs finally crossed the border yesterday!

I have participated in wheelchair distributions in Guatemala and it is a blessing and mind boggling what it means to someone to receive a wheelchair. I remember one 21 year old woman whose mother brought her for her first wheelcair. She had not been able to walk since her early teen years and her mother carried her everywhere. Her mother carried her in to the distribution on her back, with mom bent over double to support the weight of her daughter. When they left the daughter was moving herself for the first time in 7 years and mom was walking straight and smiling. One donated wheelchair set 2 women free. The ministry that we work with for distributing the wheelchairs also shares the gospel with each family that receives a wheelchair.

Okay gotta go.

Please count me in for the birthday and other gift swap. What does ROAK stand for? Real Otters Arriving in Kansas? Raw Oats And Korn?
Regal Opinions Are Kind? Righteous Opportunities Around the Kingdom? Someone help me!

Peace,
Lida
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  5:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Bunny, you and your shop will be in my prayers. Like Theresa said, it's hard these days for small business owners.
Dana, have a good day with your hubby!
Theresa, have a good visit with your brother. Family is so important.
On that subject, had a very good time today. I saw my Nana and Nanu, who I haven't seen in a while. I also visited with my cousins and aunt and uncle. My dad's side of the family is Italian, so it's always when you throw us together! My dad, Nanu, uncle, and my older boy cousin watched the Packer while us women made the meal. My Nana made pasta and sauce, and it was so delicious! One of my favorite meals ever!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

stormylady
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Cindy
sonora CA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  5:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Send stormylady a Yahoo! Message
May I join?? New to MJF and LOVING it!! Even got my step daughter going with MJF! She loves it too. Have a big pot of fresh chicken noodle soup, from the garden salad and buttermilk biscuts almost ready.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  7:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Cindy! Of course you can join! Everyone is welcome here, from young to old (I'm 14). No matter whether you really live on a farm or are a farmgirl at heart, you are welcome to post whenever you want wherever you want! Glad to see a new face here!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  7:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Lida, how amazing your wheelchair story is. We take so much for granted here.
I would love to
Cindy, I'm in Groveland just a little ways away from you.
I'm in for the swaps. It will be nice to do some fun projects that aren't for sale for once.
How do we get started?

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  01:07:34 AM  Show Profile
WELCOME CINDY! You absolutely are welcome to Join the Porchies and all these fun and fabulous swaps Darlene is going to get
going for us. We are a very crazy group of very special women.
We just love-up on each other all day long and so the more the merrier!! This is the place to come if you need an uplift, if
you need comfort and understanding, if you need a good laugh or a good cry or just need to whine and vent for a few minutes.

Lida...RAOK stands for Random Acts Of Kindness. (sometimes I type to fast and switch the A & O around) LOL Sorry
if I confused you but why should I be the only one wandering around
in the FOG? LOL
I too loved your wheelchair story. How precious! I could just see that Mom slowly stand up straight and bend back as far as she could go...then stand straight as an arrow with a smile on her lips as
she watched her daughter in that wheelchair. You are right...it set two women free that day. And I bet that daughter hated being such a burden to her mother. But the sacrificial love of the Mother
is just a beautiful visual picture.

Bunny...sorry your weekend wasn't as good as you had hoped for. This economy really is affecting everyone's spending habits. We see it everyday as more and more stores are forced to close. Big Box Stores, Mom and Pop businesses, Restaurants etc etc. I think when you live in the Cities and larger towns you witness it more than in small towns. Well, now that you have the Shop Hop behind you...is it on with the packing and down-sizing?

Megan...Oh, your dinner sounds heavenly! My downfall in life is Pasta's and Breads. I love Italian food. It is the ultimate comfort food for me and I'm not even Italian. LOL

Theresa...good to see you on the Porch today. Well, have a fun trip and enjoy both your conference and the time with your brother. All too soon you will be back in the Work Grind (which I know is a good thing for you!) :+)

Well My Porchies...anyone for a Vanilla Latte? And maybe a slice of Pumpkin Bread? Coming Right Up!
Then I am off to bed and hopefully quickly into dreamland!

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com
A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Sep 13 2010 01:16:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile
In the Hebrew studies class this Sunday a story was told of a Rabbi who was in the Warsaw ghetto. Before the was he had the largest orphanage and school at that time. He taught that what God wanted was for everyone to awake and to pass God's favor, do a favor, for another human being. It is too long to go into great detail but it was amazing. Along those lines ladies my poor little non-profit, all are volunteers, no salaried positions, needs lots of prayer. United Way told us one thing and now it is something else. Need massive prayer covering to get through this one.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  07:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Lots of prayers coming your way Cherime. Bless you and your staff for all the hard work you do. I've worked for NP and it can be tough.

www.fasterkittykill.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  07:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am coming here to escape the heat. Yikes. Fall comes late to south Texas.

I am dreaming of apple pie or pumpkin pie with lots of ice cream or whipped cream.

Missing the change to fall of Ohio.

Apple cider anyone?

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  08:32:34 AM  Show Profile
Peggy you are right. It's a new day and the shop hop is over. On to putting everything in the store on sale. I am spending the day removing everything I don't want to discount. Things I can sell over the internet at full price hopefully. I'm also shopping myself for fabrics I know I can make into other things to sell. I figure I won't have an income for a while so I should keep the fabric I want for later. October starts the yard sales at the house. I'm trying to just deal with one thing at a time so not to get too stressed out. I'm having major night sweats and I know the fibro is kicking me big time. I think this flu thing I thought I had is the fibro. The flu feelings aren't getting any better or worse like the real flu does. I'm doing ok with it.. I'm just beat by the end of the day. I tell myself I just have to be meaner than the fibro. I really don't have time for it. Yes, I'm an little rebel when it comes to getting sick. I refuse to give in. Especially right now.
I'm starting to make a list in my mind of all the fun things I'm going to do when I get to Oregon. I'm hoping I can find a quilt shop to teach at.. I'm going to take some yoga classes. I'm still working on the job with Accuquilt. I think that will start slow and get busier as time goes by.
I'm ready for the next phase of operation New Bunny!

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  08:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Cherime...you have our prayers! Non-profits can be such a huge blessing to others and yet so difficult
to get the funding that you need, to sustain the momentum and keep the work crew encouraged...
etc. I don't know your situation but God does! I too have worked non profits and know many of
the circumstances and pitfalls that can arise.

Amy...we are getting a few days of warm weather too but then we are going back into rain. This is my Retreat
weekend at the Oregon Coast so I am praying for nice weather there so my Fibro doesn't act up. I would
take some cold apple cider...but nothing HOT today. LOL

Pam...how are you doing darlen? Hope you have a glorious day filled with laughter and love.

Blessings Porchies I'll Return Later,
Peggy

Lady In Red
A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

Bearclover
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

Bunny
Gig Harbor Wa
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  08:57:05 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, have a wonderful time at your retreat. Dress warm just in case.

www.bunnyrose.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  6:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Cherime, prayers going up!
Minimal homework tonight, it was heavenly! I'm even to going to work out extra! I'll have time to read. I read every night, but tonight, I'll have double time. Well, off to relax!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  6:49:47 PM  Show Profile
hi ladies,
I am coming to porch with evening tea and Peggy a piece of pumpkin bread would be delightful. It was a good day with the little butterflies. the day seemed to fly and learning was good. We have a short week because on Friday we have teacher inservice.

Welcome Cindy to the porch. A wonderful place to just relax. Lovely ladies here.
I had time this past weekend to clean out the flower beds and work on a quilt i had put aside to get ready for school. Now that i am in the flow of things, I have been quiling on it a row a night. It is a big quilt and heavy so it takes a while to just quilt one row, but steady progress is being made and soon it will be on my bed and I can start a smaller project.

Hope all you lovely ladies had a blessed day.

blessings and hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Merry Heart Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Janet
Ackerman Mississippi
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  9:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I haven't been on here lately. Life has just been crazy and will be so for the next three weeks as I have to get ready for a annual meeting and have to compile a 50-70 page book and I bind it myself to save us money so it will from can to can't. Please pray for me because I am getting a little panicky from time to time just thinking of when I have to have all of this done. I have to wait on other people for most of the info. and it comes in slow. Oct. 4th is the date when the meeting is happening.
Lida, I am so glad that I wasn't the only one that didn't know what RAOK meant. Your versions were a hoot, girl! About the wheelchair ministry - all I can say is Wow! That is awesome to be able to do that for those people and then to tell them about Jesus, too!
Bunny, I am sorry that your sales were down. I loved visiting your website.
Peggy, your retreat sounds heavenly. I know you all will have a great time. I hope your sleep habits will get better. I am so sorry you have been having such a time.
Welcome to the porch, Cindy! I am new here too. It is a wonderful place to come.
Megan, sounds like you had a great time. Italian sounds wonderful, it sounds like it was much better than Olive Garden (which is good). Real Italian, yum!
Darlene, I would love to participate in the swaps.
Cherime, I am praying for you. I pray that it will be resolved soon.
Well, I didn't bring anything out here with me tonight. I have been putting up okra, lots of okra! I am fixing to go and start the last batch cooling. I would love some of that tea, Tammy and a piece of that pumpkin bread, Peggy.

Well, I will go back in and get my okra out now. Good night and sweet dreams everyone.

Have a great and blessed day!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  9:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Hi Porchies...

Welcome Cindy, You'll love it, here. We are nonjudgemental and listen well. Remember...What happens on the porch...Stays on the porch! LOL!

Bunny...It will all work out. I wish I could be there to help you. Since I can't I'll pray for you.

I pray for you all daily.

Lida...Beautiful WC story. How awesome to be able to help someone less fortunate. Sure makes you know how blessed we are.

Megan...My husband is Italian so almost everything I cook is from scratch, made meatballs tonight to put in the freezer for next spaghetti sauce. The holidays are a hoot when everyone gets together aren't they? More food than an army could eat.

Peg...You're right about the postage. As I said before, If you keep it at 1 lb the rate is much cheaper I use my food scale to weigh my items and use bubble envelopes. I thought I would use photo boxes as a nice extra to send things but quickly changed my mind whenit cost $10.00.

Ok...Glad you like the porchie swap idea so lets get everyone to post their birthday and the rest of us can copy the dates and keep them until it's time to send a card or small gift to the birthday girl. We of course need each other's addresses so we need to email our addresses to each other. We will then have each other's addresses for future swaps. There are alot of seasonal swaps going on right now so let's do a different one. Let's do the I APPRECIATE YOU SWAP. We will have partners and will simply focus our attention on being a blessing to them. No dollar amount...do what you want. This is a feel good swap. Everyone needs a little love! All in just post here that you're in. Deadline for sign up is next monday 9/20. Mail out date is 9/30.

Any other swaps feel free to suggest and run them. We should have a Christmas swap of some sort right?

Tammy...What type quilt are you making? Do you have it in a frame? I saw in a magazine many moons ago where a teacher had all her butterflies draw a picture and then she transfered them on material and made a quilt. I just bought the materials to do this and if it works I will make pillows etc. for christmas.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  11:47:38 PM  Show Profile
OK Darlene...YOU so made me cry today! Thank you for the beautiful 25th Anniversary Card. And the Sweet Sweet
Note and the yummy recipes. As soon as I return from Retreat I have to make one of those right away. But both
sound like they are to die for! Oh, do you know that was the only Anniversary Card I got (we got)...I down played it so much that we didn't even get cards from anybody...so both my DH and I thought you were so Thoughtful and Sweet! I bought my DH a card but he didn't remember to get me one. He said that my card and gift would come later...and I'm still waiting! LOL Thanks Sister...that really touched our hearts and I really did cry when I read your note!

I am in for the "I Appreciate YOU Swap!" This will be great!

Janet...wow, you are under the gun at work aren't you? Nothing like a bit of pressure and stress to reve the Old Adrenalin up a notch or two! Don't worry about pen-pal writing until you get past that! I am looking forward to my Beach Retreat this weekend. My dog Bella...wanted to cancel it for me today though! LOL We were
out walking and she made a sudden lurch and I was watching her and not the ground and I tripped over a piece of concrete coming off of Church Property. I fell down on the sidewalk on my hands and knees. PTL my jeans were nice and heavy and so I merely scratched up my knees but I was in full stride...so the true impact (the jarring of my muscles and joints) will most likely be felt more tomorrow and the next day. A younger woman in a car saw me fall and stopped to see if I wanted a ride home. I thought that was extremely considerate! But I thanked her and told her I would make it fine that it was mostly my pride that was hurting at the moment. I may have to quit taking my dog when I go because she can really distract me. And where I have balance issues from the Fibro anyway...it's only been in the last year that I put my cane away and started walking without it. I felt that I had more of a mental dependency on it than a physical one. I was always falling but I built up my ability to speed walk again slowly over months and then found I didn't need the cane as much.

Tammy...don't you love Darlene's guilt idea for your Butterflies? Wow...I thought that sounded so precious.

Well, it has been pretty quiet on the porch tonight...I think I will bring some Black Mango tea to the Porch, climb up in the Porch Swing and curl up with my book. You girls go right ahead and keep chatting...I can still
hear you. And I will stop every once in awhile to see what is so funny! :+)

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
Go to Top of Page

PattiSutton
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Patti
Sterling Heights MI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  08:03:46 AM  Show Profile
Just came over to sit for a few minutes with a glass of iced tea. The laundry is hanging on the line. Even if it's only socks, I love watching it flapping in the breeze.
Life has been so crazy, kinda like everyone's I imagine. We're trying to find out if my DH's emotional issues are merely anxiety or if there is a medical reason for his recent bouts of panic/confusion/anxiety/take your pick.
So I'm back in therapy to help deal with it, and to help life remain stable for 6 yoDD.
Hugs to everyone.

Patti

Farmgirl #1184
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  08:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Cindy!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

I'm definitely in on the swap. It sounds like fun! I've done a ton of swapping on other sites so if you need any help-let me know.

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  09:02:51 AM  Show Profile
Peggy, my dog used to drag me around all the time. The husky mix with a bit of wolven make great weight pull competition dogs. I should have trained her for that. But I found a cure. They make a harness for over the nose that fastens right behind the ears. There is also a slide opening hook to hook on the collar for added security. No more pulling me into dangerous situations. I have to walk her in the dark in the am and keep an eye out for moose, bear and cars. I use a headlanp on my forehead and have felt much more secure since getting that nose harness. When that one wears out I will certainly get another.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  09:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh, on the non-profit front, I spoke with the individual in the main office back east and keep up the wonderful prayer ladies, we may be able to work this out without out an outlay of funds that we do not have. We do not pay salaries, all volunteer and the only outlay is for office expenses. Most of the time I volunteer the gas to get the 60 miles round trip three days a week to get food from the food bank for distribution. They sell the stuff to us at a flat rate of $.18 per pound. They get all the stuff from the stores that is nearing the sell by date and distribute it to local agencies. Great program. Thanks one and all for being great prayer warriors.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  09:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Speaking on dogs. Last night I walk out our backdoor to let the three minions out. Right at arm level, sitting on the table next to the door is a raccoon! The dogs got out before I could close the door again. I screamed, the raccoon hissed, Pete (the Min Pin) ran around the whole yard sounding the alarm. Lola (Jack Russell) took off after the raccoon with Jujube (other Jack) close behind. The only thing that saved that raccoon was 5 seconds. Lola grabbed it's tail but it got over the fence. Yeah for my little small hunters!

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  1:36:11 PM  Show Profile
I cannot let my girl loose as I have no yard and a really busy highway just up the hill. I can see the cars go by. One has to be careful putting dog out on a run up here. Moose can and will stomp and kill dogs tied out if they feel like it. I had one dog stomped by a moose and the only thing that saved him was it happened in a large snow drift.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  2:24:51 PM  Show Profile

Hi porchies, just a little info from my part of the world. Where I live in North Georgia, we have had a real problem with Racoons with rabies, biting dogs. If the dog has not been vaccinated, they have to be quarantened for 6 months at owners expense. Please be very careful with the wildlife and make sure all dogs/cats are vaccinated.
Hopefully this is not a problem in your area, but it has been a big one here.

Please be safe!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kittykill
True Blue Farmgirl

608 Posts

Pam
Portland or
USA
608 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  2:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Send kittykill an AOL message  Send kittykill a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info! Luckily, it's never a problem in our area. We see them occasionally. They don't go in our pond because it's too deep. The closest thing to wildlife we get is mice and birds-LOL! Thank goodness our dog are vaccinated too. I've heard such horrible gut wrenching stories.

Cherime-how scary!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 669 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic VIrtual Porch Sitting - Come Join Us! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page