Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Homemade Laundry Soap Once Again :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Homemade Laundry Soap Once Again :) Next Topic  

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  10:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls :)

I know that this question has probably been asked previously but with all of the posts (and length)of the Homemade Laundry Detergent threads I thought that you might know off the top of your head what the answer is.

Can the detergent be made with any type of homemade bar soap? Not glycerin but cold processed? I just thought that it may be nice with a scented soap. Can someone tell me whether it's possible and if not why not? I just like to know the science behind it :)

Thanks ladies

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  1:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, you can use any soap, HOWEVER real soap (aka homemade soaps) do have the natural glycerin in them and most soapers superfat their soap (leave a certain percentage of oil unsaponified) so it is not drying to the skin. So when you wash you clothes with homemade Hand soap, my experience is that you will get soap scum floating on the top of the water and leaving a ring in the washer. Sometimes a residue on the clothes. That is because the oil that is good for the skin isn't the greatest for your clothes.

Now not to sound like I am just trying to push my products, but I do make a homemade all natural laundry soap bar as an affordable replacement for the Fels in the recipe. Right now I just have unscented on hand, but I am always willing to make a scented batch. Also another note is that unlike the synthetic fragrances found in commercial laundry detergents, the fragrance in most homemade soaps is going to be much much much lighter and will most likely wash out. Instead try adding some essential oils in with some vinegar in the rinse or putting some essential oils on a wet washcloth in with the clothes in the dryer. A drop or two is more than enough and will help scent the clothes

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  3:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Soap Queen to the rescue!!!!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  10:37:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee! That makes total sense. I just had to know the answer :) I have plenty of soap for now to make detergent but when it's time I will order some from you :) Thanks again!

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  5:17:18 PM  Show Profile
I just made some with "Zote" and Fels Naptha....

Farmgirl Sister #368
My Farm and Garden blog....
Is still there, but, Blogger has made it, so, I cannot write on it, and I cannot figure out how to change it,......

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  6:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Terri,

I usually use the Zote or Fels-Naptha. I was just curious about scented soaps :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

GoldenSeal
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Crystal
Vermilion Alberta
Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  2:24:22 PM  Show Profile
You can change your superfat percents on the lye calculator. I've heard of people putting it to 0-1 percent for laundry soaps. I haven't made laundry soap with my soaps.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Homemade Laundry Soap Once Again :) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page