Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 The "change" - how do you deal with it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The "change" - how do you deal with it? Next Topic  

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  6:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Hot flashes, insomnia, mental fuzziness, and crepey dry skin... How do you deal?

I started peri-menopause at 38, and hit the big time with tsunami flashes about a decade later. Even tho I am past menopause now by about 5 years - I still have about 12 - 15 "serious" hot flashes a day, and two or three soakers at night.

I keep a fan on at the foot of the bed so I can toss the covers and cool off quickly. But still - how much longer will this go on? It is getting a bit old... Anyone have suggestions?

chickens clucking, bees buzzing, flowers blooming, all is good!

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  7:10:42 PM  Show Profile
I've wondered if I'm in peri-menapause-I've read about the mental fuzzies
and I swear I have days here & there where my normally razor sharp quick mind goes on vacation-it's like I'm a ditz for a couple of days,then I'm back to my normal self-I get my brain back. (I'm almost 46) No hot flashes or anything-I do notice it seems to go along with my astrological "lunar low". There is a book called "Women at the Change" by Compton,Llewellyn pub. that tells how to deal with all that in natural ways. I don't know if it's still in print,but I'm willing to bet you could find it used.

http://www.mandochicks.com
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  7:19:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh and I do have insomnia here & there now,(never did when I was younger) along with nights that my mind decides to go into worry & fret mode-which drives me nuts as it makes for a challenge to get any sleep. Meditation helps this,however......(at least for me)

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  8:06:32 PM  Show Profile
I started taking a herbal menopause supplement a few months ago and it has really helped. I may get 1 or 2 hot flashes during the day & they are nothing compared to what they used to be. I don't have the insomnia anymore and for the mental fuzzies, I try to do a puzzle every day along with reading & making a strong effort to concentrate on what I'm talking about!

Good luck on finding what will help you!
Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Aug 04 2009 8:07:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  04:17:06 AM  Show Profile
I have the horrible awful mood swings. That's about it now. And right now I could just wring some necks. I have been horrible this last week. I can't stand myself! Sometimes I scare myself with this attitude. I don't want to be around anyone. I'd love to just go off to an island til all this is over. But how long will that be?

I did wake up this morning at 4:30. I thought it was way later. I think I was worried I wouldn't get all my muffins and rolls baked in time for the market. So I just got up and went at it. I already have all the muffins done and am waiting on the dough for rolls to rise the first time. Then I'm out to the garden to pick beans, okra and corn to take, too.

I keep busy enuf to keep my mind off all this but I sure can get awful mad and just start saying things I should not be saying at all. This just ain't no fun. I am just thankful I don't have the hot flashes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  06:51:45 AM  Show Profile
Well..lets see, you do a lot of sweating (night and day), absolutely positively turn into a *LIST* person (due to memory lapses), become a night owl due to chronic insomnia, and other private matters that really make you feel your youth flying away.

Oscillating fans need to be surgically attached to me! Even after 6 years of this!!!

Now what did I do for it??

Tried everything under the sun and moon to find relief but actually just wound up spending a lot of money trying to convince myself it was helping. TIME is the only real solution to the whole matter. After 6 years of dealing....I thinks I'm over the hill now...heehehe..of course, with all the new additional helpful things to make me feel youthful!

This is probably not what you wanted to hear but I had fun telling the story! hahaha

Oh, and my greatest help through all of it (and you can't buy it) is a great sense of humor!

Have a lovely day!
Steph

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
* * * * * * www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com * * * * * *

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Albert Einstein ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  07:15:36 AM  Show Profile
Celestial Seasonings makes an herbal blend called Tension Tamer & I swear by it-not only for when I'm PMSing but I do have an occasional intense mood & the tea really helps to settle me down (I can't stand being in a bad mood-esp when there's nothing to be uptight about!) Helps me to sleep better as well.

Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  08:50:08 AM  Show Profile
>> when I knew something was amiss, I swanny, this is just how I felt -- -- <<

So I immediately went to the herbal health food store, and scrounged around looking for anything that would help with hot flashes, and all things menopausal -- jeesh, I can't even spell it right!

Some of the supplements were so-so, an' I was still melting like there was no tomorow..So..went to GNC and found something that I've been using for about 4 - o - 5 years now ~~ "Women's Ultra Mega Menopause Vitapack" -- It's a big box with a 30 day supply of vitamins, that work with your body to prevent the hot flashes, night sweats (myworst thang evah) and all things horrid/mood swings.

Because I have a tendancy to get kidney stones, I had to find something that would give me the right amount of calcium, but not so much that would create those nahhsty little buggers. This collection of vitamins does just that. There are 30 packs in the box, with 7 tablets in each pack. They are large, but they work so darn well, that I don't even think twice about taking them. I think they run about $25.00 or so, once you get a membership to GNC. It's worth it, cause you can also get some great herbal lotions or whatever on sale for a good price.

My doctor was so impressed with this collection of supplements, that after I wrote down all the ingredients for him, he now recommends these for all his pre & posst menopausal patients. It's that good.

I usually don't recommend vitamins to people, 'cause everybodys body can have such weird reactions to different things. But these Work!! I really recommend these for anybody goin' thru the crud. Tom knows when I've either forgotton to take them for a couple days, or run out by accident. I start sweating like a horse, and he immediately asks, "Did you take your pills today?!" Lol!

Try these -- they have been a lifesaver for me.

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  09:38:29 AM  Show Profile
I will run by GNC and pick up a box tonight - thanks Laurianne! And a box of the tension tamer tea. I used to get relief from flashes from putting a couple sage leaves in hot tea, but that no longer works for me. Thanks for the ideas ladies! Somehow it seems that after 14 years I should be done with this, but Sam (my doc) says I am one of those exceptions. Most women are through in 4 to 6 years.
Naturally my body would choose THIS way to be exception-al - LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #661

Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  4:56:53 PM  Show Profile
4 to 6 years!!!! Please tell me it won't last that long. I just had my complete hysterectomy in June, and the hot flashes and insomnia are awful. They gave me the hormone patch to wear. It may be helping with the insomnia, but nothing is helping those doggone hot flashes.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  5:10:23 PM  Show Profile
try putting two or three leaves from a plain ol' garden sage in your tea and let it steep for five minutes. That worked for me for the first couple years. It might work for you too. I'm surprised the hormone patch isn't stopping them? I can't use hormones (high risk for breast cancer).

Farmgirl Sister #661

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  5:32:50 PM  Show Profile
I still get hot flashes and I don't sleep well unless I've had my grandson for 2 nights and send him home then I sleep really well. I've been Hot & Flashy for 8 years now but I prefer it over the bloody monthly mess and cramps I had for many many many years.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  8:46:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the vitamin and tea suggestions! I just turned 46 and for about 6 months, I've been thinking changes are happening - had hot flashes at night in the winter time, and now, just feel plain stupid for no apparent reason - I'm in slow motion...and now my cycle is getting very unpredictable, so that's lots of fun. Haven't been to a dr. in several years, and want to just nature my way through this - think I will give these ideas a try - thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  06:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Hi Marianne!
Welcome to the change! LOL! I was given some great advice when I started peri-menopause. It's the same as when you hit puberty, just on the other end!
There is a wonderful book out called "Traversing the Wild Terrain of Menopause" it takes you through the authors story and her holistic solutions for becoming one with your changes. It's a fantastic book! You can order it on Amazon.com but be aware that the book is published by the author who is a farmgirl herself so takes a bit of a slow boat to get to you. It's worth the wait.
Also, I have had great, great luck with organic yam cream. It levels out moods, hormones and even hot flashes! It takes about 2 weeks to kick in but it is an effortless addition to your day and makes quite a difference.
The last thing I would suggest is that you look at your sugar intake. If you reduce or eliminate the amount of sugar you consume you will find a dramatic reduction in hot flashes and night sweats.
I purchase my yam cream from a farming woman in oregon. I'll see if I can find her info. if you're interested.
Good luck and remember this is not a curse but a natural transition in your life!
Hugs,
Linder

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

www.mylusciousjourney.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  11:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
OK, I looked up the dealer for that yam creme. Here's her info. She also makes a lotion called Oregon Creme that is AMAZING!
1-800-433-0152
Cauldron/Oregon Collection
27570 Wilson River Hwy.
Tillamook, OR 97142
info@oregoncreme.com

Call her and ask about her yam cream.

Best,

Linda

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

www.mylusciousjourney.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  3:45:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda! I'll call her up and order some yam cream!
You all are great!

Farmgirl Sister #661

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  04:11:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm not doing much, just kind of sucking it up. I've spent money on doctors and books and herbals and....and the best advice I've had is let it ride. I figgered out that my body knew what to do about pregnancy and childbirth without much outside help so I guess it will figger out what to do with this menopause stuff.

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The "change" - how do you deal with it? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page