DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  07:55:18 AM  Show Profile
Janna, thanks for the offer! I'll run that by my Chapter and get everybody's thoughts. Somebody did mention that they'd like to learn how to make soap.
Liz, that's great! Our first meeting was on Tuesday. We had such a good time & can't wait until next month also. It's so fun to meet & know like-minded women. It's also neat to learn about the farmgirls on this site & know that we are able to network "in real life".
Karen, you can always start your own Chapter. That's all I did. I started the chapter then started inviting like-minded friends. Even found a couple of farmgirls on this thread who may join in on the meetings. Next thing I knew we had a group of about 8 women before our first meeting ever happened. Everybody's so excited to learn new things & grow in their "farmgirl" skills. We already have our September meeting planned. Apple pickin' & applesauce makin'! YaY!

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  12:37:28 PM  Show Profile
Peachy,
I emailed you but want to post here as well. Either date works for me
Thanks,
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

hivemama
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Janna
Zeeland MI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  2:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey MI farmgirls! Everybody must be out working in their gardens or shopping at the Farmers Market - it's been really quiet around here! I was wondering if anyone here does freezer corn, and if so, how much do you do? I have a family of six, and I'm trying to figure out how much I need to do to last us for the winter. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  6:28:21 PM  Show Profile
Well I have been out of MJF's for a bit but I have been going back and reading some of these pages and I would like to welcome all the new ones and let you know I live up in Atlanta about one hour from the bridge, in between gaylord and alpena and I just love it up here. If some of you are looking for a place, Atlanta has cheap taxes and is a small community and of course we are close to mio and the amish and there are some other nice small towns around us, hillman and lewiston. so when you are looking don't count this nice east side out!!! hehehehe would love more farmgirls around and we have a very nice fair every year too.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  6:32:19 PM  Show Profile
oh yes I want to get on with FB how do I do that??

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  1:55:22 PM  Show Profile
You know Beverly, I'd be up that way in a heartbeat if we could find work! When I visited the Tawas area last spring I read an article that said the unemployment rate was close to 20%! Of course I'm kinda locked into my current job if I hope to keep making a similar salary. Plus we have had our 1st house 4 sale for four years. Finally had go rent to keep it from falling to pieces! We'll never get back what we had into it now. Just hoping to sell the darn thing! Hopefully to the current renter if he can get it together. Somewhere out by Mio is a liitle creek called McGillis Creek. My hubbys Gma was a McGillis.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  2:33:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone who is interested in the cheese making --- Missy has been really busy - she got a new job too -- I will let her tell you about it. I am so glad for her. The cheese making day will be the 23 of October. It will be fun!!!!!

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

hivemama
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Janna
Zeeland MI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  05:05:51 AM  Show Profile
Looking forward to it! Thanks for the update :)
Go to Top of Page

horseychick
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Melanie
Clarkston MI
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  08:09:19 AM  Show Profile
So, I donned my chicken apron yesterday to prepare for our Labor Day cook out and while I was out picking the tomatoes I was wondering who has the Mary Janes Michigan apron. Wondering when it will make its way to the Dndelion Farmgirls. Anyone?

Farmgirl Sister #1706 You can take the girl out of the country but her soul will bring her back.-mlp

www.thestitchincoop.etsy.com
www.ThePatternShack.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  10:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone!! Here I am (briefly):) New job at the B&B around the corner from me! Taking care of their chickens, gardens and eventually canning with her etc. wonderful people and so much fun! 3 kids off to school today and my daughter successfully moved in for her first year at college!

Let the cheese making festivities begin!!!!
Saturday, October 23 - time to be announced but I'm thinking morning so we can fit in a full day:)

We can determine the time after we know how far some of you have to travel!! So for now, with the official date lets start signing up! Since my email is still having difficulties please let me know here on the forum, I'll make a list and double check that we have everyone and email all of you my addy so you can map quest your way over here! So excited, can't wait! I'm working hard trying to get my floors tiled - hopefully they're done before this event!

Have a great day!!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360
http://bluejeancountry.etsy.com/
http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Yart
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

MI
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  05:51:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hivemama

Hey MI farmgirls! Everybody must be out working in their gardens or shopping at the Farmers Market - it's been really quiet around here! I was wondering if anyone here does freezer corn, and if so, how much do you do? I have a family of six, and I'm trying to figure out how much I need to do to last us for the winter. Any thoughts?

Hivemama, were a family of 5 and I just canned up 4 bushels (192 ears)of corn. It gave me 42 quarts jars. I hope that helps.

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis
http://urban-eco.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hivemama
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Janna
Zeeland MI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  09:03:40 AM  Show Profile
thanks yart! I ended up doing roughly 175 ears - not sure how many bushels that is. I froze mine, and got approximately 30 - 3 cup bags. Hopefully that will last us for a while. I have four hungry, growing kiddos! It's amazing what they can put away at a meal. I'm just glad they like vegetables
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  12:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Yart and Janna,can you each tell me how to put up the corn? I've never done corn before and truely want to. If it's canned does it still end up tasting like fresh or more liked canned from the store?Thanks! cj
Go to Top of Page

Yart
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

MI
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  1:06:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cj6

Yart and Janna,can you each tell me how to put up the corn? I've never done corn before and truely want to. If it's canned does it still end up tasting like fresh or more liked canned from the store?Thanks! cj

What I did was cut the corn off the cob. Then added it to the jars and poured hot water over to bring it to the 1 inch headspace. Put in the pressure canner at 11 pounds (for me) for 85 minutes. It tastes like the store bought canned.

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis
Go to Top of Page

hivemama
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Janna
Zeeland MI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  1:07:54 PM  Show Profile
I shucked and washed the ears, then cut the kernels off. I just used a sharp knife, but my Mother in law uses an electric knife, and says it works really well that way too. All the corn and liquid go into a big pot (I did about 8 quarts at a time.) I added 2 cups of water, 1/2 stick of butter, 2 T salt, 1/4 c. sugar. Cook till corn turns a brighter color, or you see steam coming off the top even when stirring. Remove from heat, and cool till you can put it into freezer bags without them melting. My mother in law has done it this way for years, and it's amazing! Tastes just like fresh sweetcorn all winter long. We love it! I've never canned it. I have a big freezer, and freezing is just easier me, since I have so many other things I can. We freeze the bags flat, then I just open a bag, put it in a pan, and heat till hot. It's already seasoned and ready to go. Yum!
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  2:20:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you both for answering so quickly!
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
October 23 Cheese Making...getting closer!!
Here's the sign up list so far but you can sign up right until the day of if you'd like, just trying to get an estimated number:)

1. Michele - vintagediva1
2. Janna - hivemamma
3. Karen - Raspberry Bee
4. Candy - gladwingirl (possible) - hopefully you can make it!
5. Kris - Miss Kris
6. Melissa - peachy

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  09:51:34 AM  Show Profile
if anyone down here by monroe is coming I'd love to come with if they don't mind...otherwise I wouldn't be able to...but,I'd love to see the info on how to make it posted on here to try at home.i hope everyone has fun!
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  10:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Oh CJ I hope you can make it!! I knew the 16th didn't work for you so I thought for sure this one might:) Start gathering up some farmgirl friends in the Monroe area!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Go to Top of Page

Yart
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

MI
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  11:50:46 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I won't be able to attend Marching Band has something that day.

Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  11:05:10 PM  Show Profile
Well I know there a re a few other farmgirls from this area who have introduced themselves on this post so hopefully one of them will see this and being going...and not mind if I tag along :)
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  05:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I hope you can make it CJ!!! Round everyone up farmgirls - lets make some cheese!!!! We're going to plan on a light breakfast and lunch here at the house along with taste testing our cheese inbetween!!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  9:00:47 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,I was looking for other farmgirls in my area a little over a year ago...that's what started this group ...I think... : )
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  03:28:03 AM  Show Profile
CJ, maybe check with Michele-vintagediva1, she is from Brighton. Maybe if you could get up to her place she'd be able to take you.

www.theaprondiaries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  08:43:47 AM  Show Profile
Peachy, What kind of cheese are we going to make?
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Michigan Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page