Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  5:58:53 PM  Show Profile
congratulations on your new place Brandy!
Let us know what you decide on for a name. When you find it you will just know!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  7:34:06 PM  Show Profile
Well, since this thread has been resurrected...

We have many, many mulberry trees on our property, and they line the driveway on one side, so for a long time we referred to the place as Mulberry Lane Farm. However, when we started thinking about our business goals and it came time to register a domain name for our website, we found the mulberrylanefarm.com and other variations were already taken, so it was time to go back to the drawing board.

The other type of tree that we have a few of is hickory. There are several in an area in the back of our property, which we have always referred to as "the cove." Dad said "what about Hickory Cove Farm?" We all liked it, it was available, and so Hickory Cove Farm we are!

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  02:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Love it! Hickory Cove Farm has a feeling of having been around for years. I hope you have great success!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  3:01:24 PM  Show Profile
Our home & business is Skunk Creek Ranch. There is a little teeny tiny 3-4' wide creek that runs through our property which surprise surprise is called Skunk Creek. We decided to go with that for a name because even though we can't wait to move and get our own place(get off the in-laws ground!), we always want to remember our roots and the place that built our family & business into what it is today.
Go to Top of Page

.Linz.
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Lindsey
Shippensburg Pennsylvania
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  3:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by rough start farmgirl

Love it! Hickory Cove Farm has a feeling of having been around for years. I hope you have great success!
Marianne

"Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds." - Prov. 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  3:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Storybook Farm, I named it that because I live in the pines at 7,600 feet, and it looks like a fairy tale in my eyes. 1/4 acer a mile closer to heaven.

Stand for What's Right!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  9:23:24 PM  Show Profile
great name, Pam!

marianne
Go to Top of Page

machick
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Diana
Park City Kansas
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  1:53:37 PM  Show Profile
We named our farm "End of Trail Farm" Because my DH says he is not going to leave till God calls him Home to Heaven.

We have 8 acreas. and have been here 27 years. Just built a new house and barn so I guess he means it. LOL

May your bobbins always be full!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2012 :  7:30:09 PM  Show Profile
We named our little place the Bushel & Peck because of a song my Grandfather used to sing to me. I also envision bushels of veggies and berries along with my pecking hens!

This song is from the musical Guys and Dolls.

I love you, a bushel and a peck!
A bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck!
A hug around the neck, and a barrel and a heap
A barrel and a heap, and I'm talkin' in my sleep.
About you.
About you!
About you!
My heart is leapin'!
I'm having trouble sleepin'!
'Cause I love you, a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do!
Doodle, oodle, oodle.
Doodle, oodle, oodle.
Doodle oodle oodle oo.
I love you, a bushel and a peck
A bushel and a peck, go and beats me all to heck!
Beats me all to heck how I'll ever tend the farm
Ever tend the farm when I want to keep my
Arms - about you -
About you!
About you!
The cows and chickens
are goin' to the dickens!
'Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do -

Doodle oodle oodle
Doodle oodle oodle
Doodle oodle oodle, oo!

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Edited by - Bushel n Peck on Jun 19 2012 7:41:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

doll58maker
True Blue Farmgirl

2259 Posts

G
TX
USA
2259 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2012 :  12:07:28 PM  Show Profile
I have unofficially been calling mine THE MONEY PIT because every time
I turn around something else needs fixing. Most of my money goes to Lowes Home depot
Or Tractor Supply.

Gypsy

Edited by - doll58maker on Oct 18 2014 8:27:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bushel n Peck
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Tracy
Truly MT
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2012 :  1:51:57 PM  Show Profile
That's funny Glenda!
It reminds me of my husband's workshop; when it's not the "Man cave" it's the "Sawdust Factory!"

my blog: http://bushelnpeck.blogspot.com

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
C. S. Lewis

Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2012 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, y'all, I had peeked in on this conversation once before, and I am back. I am happy to announce that my fiance and I got a farm!! We're between two towns NE of Austin, and our address is in one (Taylor) yet, we're actually closer to the other (Thrall). There's just over 2 acres, about 1/2 an acre is fenced so my Catahoula can safely run and play during the day when we are gone. We found honey bees in the water meter box when we moved in (which, unfortunatly, had to be removed... it still hurts my heart ). We found a pear tree, a mulberry tree, random squash plants, tons of sunflowers, and a pumpkin. Now, a friend has given us a Magnolia, tomatoes, bell peppers, another pumpkin, and some strawberries to plant.

I asked Josh (my fiance) what he thought of the name I picked... Fair Hope. It comes from the town in Alabama where I was born, Fairhope, and I split the words apart. The two of us have been through a lot in our lives... but we feel blessed to be together, starting our live in such a beautiful, quiet, peaceful place. Fair Hope just sounded right, to me!

He and our friend that gave us all the plants found part of the old mailbox out in the shed with the address and part of the flag still attached, and I will be painting the name of the farm on it to hang somewhere in the house, or perhaps on our front porch.

EXCITEMENT!!!

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

http://www.bricolagewedding.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  5:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, I can't wait to ave a small farm of my own to name...one day. You all have the best names for your places and have given me something to think about and look forward to. Thank you!

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  05:32:24 AM  Show Profile
You all have such great names! My dream is for a small micro ranch. Enough acres to just manage chickens, a couple of goats, maybe a pig or too. I've even dreamed of having a couple mini Angus cows. Who knows, what I'll end up with...lol. All I know is that i'm gonna need a beautiful names for our place and you girls have given me food for thought! Please post signs of your farms and ranches, I'd love to see them!

Lorie

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  05:55:11 AM  Show Profile
Our farm is known in our family as "the west farm" because we live 1 mile west of town. My mother-in-law had owned the property until we purchased it from her 5 yrs ago. She still has property east of town, referred to as ..you guessed it, "the east farm".
Go to Top of Page

TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  06:05:01 AM  Show Profile
We have our "farm" named "Sweet Crossing." Before we moved to our 1 acre lot in the country, we were living in town in a row home. Hated it! So when we moved, we got a bottle of wine as a gift from my boss from a local winery called "Sweet Crossing" and it stuck! From where we were to where we came, it was a Sweet Crossing! We are so blessed!

~You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!
Go to Top of Page

ksharp
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Kathee
Mannington WV
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  8:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Our farm was named from a conversation that took place between our youngest son and a local waitress. We had just moved back to West Virginia to our little 5 acre piece of heaven. Dinner discussion was packed with dreams of raising Nubian goats, chickens, and sheep. It was about this time the waitress came to ask my then 4 year old what he would like to drink. He said "Do you have goats milk?" The waitress
replies, "No honey we have cows milk." Frustrated 4 year old responds "No I want goats milk!" Waitress in very pacifying voice, "Why not have some Moo Milk?" My sons response, "MaaMilk. MaaMilk. Not Moo Milk." From that moment on our little piece of heaven has been know has Maa Milk Farm.

Kathee
"The crazy,dancing,goat lady." - #3462
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2013 :  08:21:34 AM  Show Profile
I thought I would bump this up, cause there are so many new girls here that I think they would get a kick out of some names and reasons why...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  10:00:05 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I are both big book nerds. We actually met through a fan club for a series of books that we read. Shortly before we bought our farm, I was re-reading the first Lord of the Rings book, In the book the main character, Frodo, moves from his home to a different one, and the second house is called Crickhollow. I knew at once that was going to be our farm's name, since our last name is Crick, and where better to get a name for us from than a book!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  2:38:24 PM  Show Profile
that is really cool!
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  5:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I live on a small homestead in the foothills of the smoky mountains.

We named our homestead/farm The Kuntry Klucker.

We choose this name because we well live in the country and have many cluckers, well it seems that way with all of the egg songs that we here from the Ladies.
We love our Buff Orphington chickens so for us the name just fit.

Here is a few pics of our cluckers :-)

Give me the simple country life.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  3:37:26 PM  Show Profile
What a pretty setup you have for your girls! Love your name!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

KuntryKlucker
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Noelle
Tennessee
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  7:09:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rough start farmgirl

What a pretty setup you have for your girls! Love your name!
Marianne

Thanks so much!! you are so sweet.

Give me the simple country life.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2013 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile
I just love reading how you all have come up with the names to your places, so I am bumping this up...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2013 :  09:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
what a nice set up you have. i bet the girls repay you with lots of eggs.

we have just starting talking about a farm for us. we will see what happens.
Gypsy, i understand completely, i call our current house that!!

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page