Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 What did you name your farm/ranch and why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic
Page: of 12

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  07:37:37 AM  Show Profile
The business side of it and what hangs on the entrance gates is 4B. It is our brand and was my guy's grandpa's brand. As for how we reference this place, we call it "The Farm." It would make more sense to call it "The Ranch" since we raise cows, not crops. But I think the name has stuck for good, it is what it is. :) Someday, when I have bee's, I'm going to have to find a name to incorporate 4B, but be able to branch out on my own. Can't wait to have that problem.

My Mom recently bought a house and 10acres that she calls "The Ponderosa."

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Edited by - cntrygrl on Dec 09 2010 09:41:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  5:49:08 PM  Show Profile
Our "farm" is just a yard, but I have named it "Fairhaven". In the Bible when Paul was being taken to Rome as a prisoner, they came to a safe harbor named Fairhaven. They could have wintered there and been safe, but the sailors were impatient and pressed on to only be ship wrecked. So I will be content with my "Fairhaven".

~Catherine~

Go to Top of Page

smw5011
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sharon
Millers Maryland
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  10:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Our farm is Bee a Blessing Farm because we have honey bees, and our family is all about blessing others. We truly believe that God has blessed us so that we can bless others.

The journey of 1,000 miles begins with the first step.
Go to Top of Page

Rejena
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Rejena
WY
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  5:56:57 PM  Show Profile
Our farm is called Violet Acres Farm.
Our second child, Violet passed away and
the kids wanted her to be "part" of our farm experience, so they named it Violet Acres.

Caused me a big tear, two, or ten.

www.violetacresfarm.com
"Kid Run Boer Goat Farm"
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  04:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Rejena,

It's a beautiful name and such a beautiful gesture . . . you are obviously raising your kids to know what's important!

hope you have many happy years on Violet Acres

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  5:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

We are called Moonstorm Farm. We found the name Moonstorm when we were traveling in the midwest on a newsletter. Since we were all women at the time on the farm it seemed a very appropriate name. Now we have many sons but on those clear nights in the winter when the moon is out and the winds shake the house the name seems very appropriate still.

Holly

Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2010 :  6:27:11 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I bought our farm 2 months after we were married. We had both lost our last parent with in days of eachother. We bought it with part of my inheritance so we named it Cream of the Crop Ranch...that's what my Momma called my Daddy ! lol !! Now that my husband has passed the name means even more to me and our family .

Hugs...Kristy
"Live like you were dyin'"
Sis #2339
http;//www.myhealingthroughartstory.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

redfarmhouse
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kim
Yukon Ok
2 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  06:55:17 AM  Show Profile
We named our new hobby farm Rockin' S-Squared Farm because we went in with my inlaws, bought the land and built two houses. Our last name starts with S so S-Squared fit. Now three generations live here. We love it! We registered it as a brand too!

Just built an old fashioned red farmhouse and are now hobby farming it.
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  1:23:54 PM  Show Profile
We call our 5 acres Dragon Hill. When I was reading a book on Feng Shui, I read about the placement of your home. The "auspicious" place was a home with water in front of the house, hills on either side and a big hill to the back of the house where the "dragon" sits protecting the property. That's our property. After my husband had cleared the land and then felled trees behind where the house was going, I was astonished to see that the felled trees resembled a dragon curled up and laying across the hill behind the house. So I told him about the Feng Shui stuff and the name Dragon Hill stuck. About 4 miles in front of us is a big river. I wonder if this counts as having water in front? LOL!
I love all of the names you all have posted here. They are wonderful.

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!

Edited by - Arctic Flower on Dec 19 2010 1:28:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  6:13:02 PM  Show Profile
we have decided to name our place "Raven Wood" partly because my husband's mother's maiden name is derived from the name Corvus and because this area has a high concentration of crows and ravens, and our family all really admire crows and ravens for both their beauty, curiosity and intelligence.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.com
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kluckingbear
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Tabitha
Ellensburg WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  4:34:08 PM  Show Profile
We don't exactly have a farm...we're on 2 acres and we have chickens, bunnies and ducks. When our girls did 4-H we decided to call our little patch Acre Pi Farm. The way our little housing group divided we each have a piece of pie that was originally and acre each (we bought more later). We used the pi sign because the it went with the chemical bunny names--Copper, Plutonium, and Tantalum (I've always been fascinated by the Periodic Chart.

~Come visit me at my blog www.kluckingbear.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  6:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Our farm is named "Red Gate Farms". Every gate on the farm is RED, so it just fit. Also, it's how I came up with my user name RedGateGal.

Sister #2574
Go to Top of Page

Josmt
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Marylisa
Alexandria Va
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  12:30:34 AM  Show Profile
We have not moved into our place yet. We are city dwellers movin' out to the country. We closed on our place at the end of Summer. There were loads of butterflies flying around. My daughter was 2.5 at the time. She was just running all over the place chasing the butterflies. I realized at that moment we hade made the perfect choice to raise our kids in the country. My daughter named the house "the Butterfly House". And it has stuck.

Forgive any silly questions, I am a city girl soon-to-be a country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Goatherdess
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jerri-Ann
AR
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  08:06:10 AM  Show Profile

In the 70s we had a farm way out on the edge of a national forest, then we moved to 5 acres in another part of the state,& now we live on 1 1/2 acre rural subdivision. We have had the same farm name for 37 yrs- Happy Stars Farm.It came from a line in a folk song my grandfather used to sing " many a day with you I've rambled,happy stars with you I've spent" & since I would stay up as long as allowed as a kid gazing at the stars, it seemed a good name for a farm, as I was sure happy! And the biggest star is the sun so the whole day is covered! Since I raise goats, my farm name is also registered with AGS & ADGA. We have a big garden, chickens, cats, a dog & of course, the goats who are the super stars of the farm! If we move to more acres when we retire, the name will move too as it always has...

"For a rich liffe, marry a piece of land."
Paul Strauss
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  9:08:13 PM  Show Profile
Our 15 acre farm is call "Royal Farm". My hubby name is Roy and mine is Linda, hence the
Roy a L. We purchased it in 93 and its been nonstop since then. We also have let our family move on. My daughter and her son live here in a little house she built. And my hubbys sister and her family live here. Then when his dad passed, we moved his mom here and now his aunt lives here and I am her caregiver. My son also lives here in a cabin in the back. This all works out as we respect everyones privacy like as if you lived in a neighborhood. We have a 1 & 1/2 acre pond. and we have fish and turtles. I have chickens and have had goats, non right now but hopefully this year. I love reading all about your places and hope that you all are blessed this year! Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  4:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Arctic Flower, I love the story of how you named your farm! Awesome. Tina Michelle, I love Ravens, Raven Wood is a beautiful name for a farm. Rejena, I got a little teary just reading your story of the name of your farm. Incidentally, I just started doing work on a fiction project and one of the central characters is named Violet. I love funny little synchronicities like that.

Though it seems funny to name our farm when we just grow things for ourselves, I call it Dandelion Herb Farm. We grow veggies and raise chickens, but the herbs are what I love most and use in my Etsy shop. And Dandelion is my herbal ally--a friend for health and beauty and wonderful joyful energy as well. So what else could I possibly call the place?

Michelle
http://greenwoman.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Giddyup
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Linda
Sheridan IN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  07:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi farmgirls! Well...my husband and I love all the old TV shows that we grew up with such as The Andy Griffith show, I Love Lucy, and Green Acres. Since my husband's name is Greg we call our little farm "Greg's Acres" instead of Green Acres!!!
Go to Top of Page

faithhavenfarm
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Susie
Missouri
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:52:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm new to the forum but wanted to share, too! Our farm is Faith Haven Farm! We are a military family and six years ago we were living <unhappily> in noisy Hawaii base housing! We took a leap of faith in purchasing our farm over the internet with a 90 day escrow and waiting <and hoping> for orders to this area! My husband first saw the farm at the purchase inspection. I flew here (18 hour flight and three layovers and three different airlines to gather up everything!) with three children, dog, cat, guinea pigs and 400 pounds of luggage on a very cold February day to a place I'd never been with very kind strangers picking us up to make the three hour drive to our farm which we had never seen! We hadn't even closed escrow and my husband wouldn't be able to join us until May. It was quite an adventure! It was snowing when we woke up the next morning in our new home (owners let us stay in the house that night). It was so quiet. I could only hear a cow mooing when I took the dog out! Our household goods arrived weeks ahead of schedule (the next day) before we even had a chance to clean or paint! We didn't even have a car or groceries! Several people had left a few neccessities and LOTS of hot cocoa for us! Our farm is perfectly placed between two larger towns for shopping, activies and my husband's job. We are 1 mile down a very well maintained dirt road instead of right on the busy, noisy highways. We can't see our neighbors from our house. Our land is forty perfectly square acres with a pretty little lake. It was an amazing time and our farm has been an amazing place these last 6 years...hence "Faith" because we acted in complete faith that our Lord would take care of us and bless us. "Haven" because this is such a peaceful place away from the noise and neighborhood environment. "Farm"...well, that's obvious! I was even able to get Faith Haven as our dairy herd name (goats). It was taken but I wrote a letter to the person and she kindly released it to me! God is so good!

"Trust in the Lord..."
Proverbs 3:5,6
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  5:54:58 PM  Show Profile
Susie your story is so sweet, I love it!

Michelle
http://greenwoman.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  12:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Have loved reading through these pages. One that really stood out to me was "Oleo Acres".. because it was a lower priced "spread". Ha! Everyone has such clever and wonderful names.

We run "Field Day, Inc." out of our big barn. What we "grow" is houses... my husband is a custom builder. Since our last name is Fields, and since we want to be having a field day, whether we're working or playing, that's the name we settled upon.

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

earth mama
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Anna
Hendersonville TN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  9:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Husband and I built a house on a hill two years ago, and we love to have people over, to stay with us, or just to share a meal, some coffee and hang out on the porch. Our goal as we designed it and chose things from the details to the paint colors was that it would be a sanctuary for us and for those who we hosted, so we came up with Havenknoll for a "hill of sanctuary." Haven't added "farm" or anything to it, but we did add some substantial gardening space and some chickens last year, so we're headed in a farm-like direction.

Blog: http://wayfaringartist.com
Photography and Design: http://dailyikon.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  03:13:27 AM  Show Profile
When i was a small girl the men in our area called their wives "the old Bat" it always got a laugh & I knew it wasn't meant to be bad...so in my little girl mind I couldn't wait to be an 'Old bat" so when we bought this place 3 years ago i decided now that I am over 50 I qualified to be an 'Old Bat' & named our place 'The Old Batz Farm' & my artshop is called 'The Old Batz Barn'
I grew up in the Ozarks where this won't bat an eye but up here in Massachusetts i get some weird looks from people who don't understand the old Ozarks term....It makes it fun when people realize its a joke of sorts & is so usual they don't forget it....Michele' #2622

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  7:40:51 PM  Show Profile
bump for all the new girls

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  8:11:57 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, I love your comment at the end of your post. It is so true that we need to treat the earth well - it is loaned to us by our children. Bless you.

Farmgirl: cibola

"When you get to the end of your rope, you tie a knot and hang on."
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  8:35:37 PM  Show Profile
ok..i have a question? One I have been pondering for years. What's the difference between a farm and a ranch..is there an acre requirement? Thanks....

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What did you name your farm/ranch and why? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page