Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 PINK Homemade Laundry Detergent!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic PINK Homemade Laundry Detergent! Next Topic
Page: of 4

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  3:48:13 PM  Show Profile
I made some more laundry detergent today and used PINK ZOTE soap! I love making it! Pics & recipe on my blog!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Aug 04 2009 10:45:43 PM

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  5:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane! I love your blog, everytime I go there I could sit for hours.
Your soap looks so pretty. I too make my own & would love to try it with Zote, but I think it must be more of a western based soap. I keep looking for it around here & no luck.. They have it a Lehman's, but I have not been able to bring myself to pay shipping on soap!.. but after looking at how pretty yours is, I may bite the bullet!
That would be so pretty for gifts!
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  5:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh, what a sweet blog! What is the dishware pattern with the pearls on the edges? I've never seen anything like that.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  7:15:23 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane,
What a lovely inspiration you are! I go to your blog and get a instant feeling of comfort. I love your pink soap and now have the gentle nudge to make my first batch of laundry soap. You've inspired me to paint my clothes line posts blue tomorrow. LOL
Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  7:36:26 PM  Show Profile
Maryjane:
Wow! what a blog you have there!!!! Lisa is right, I could stay for hours checking out everything you have on your blog. Nice! When do you find the time to do such beautiful work? Pink laundry detergent, how nice. BUT--- where did you get that pink bike? I absolutely love that pink bike. Did you paint it pink? By far, your blog is the best yet. Super inspiring.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  11:10:54 PM  Show Profile
I used the pink zote on the last batch and it is sooo fun!
I think perhaps next time, I will try the blue Zote if I can find it.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  12:44:12 AM  Show Profile
WHAT about that awesome container!! I love that too lol.
WHAT is ZOTE??? Is that a brand name??

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  12:51:13 AM  Show Profile
Dutchy,
Zote is a laundry soap manufactured in Mexico.
I know here in Minnesota, I have only found it in Mexican specialty stores.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  12:56:46 AM  Show Profile
LOL I Googled it . Is there another brand you can use. I mean something like DOVE?? I can get Dove but not Zote.

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  04:22:50 AM  Show Profile
Maryjane- I love your soap conatiner! I use Zote soap in my laundry detergent as well. It makes for a very pretty soap and it sure does smell better than Fels Naptha!!
My son used Zote soap when he was on his mission in Mexico. He said it worked better than anything else he had used so I was very happy to find it at the WalMart!
Have a happy weekend.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  04:40:22 AM  Show Profile
MJL,
How cute is that tin!! And pink zote. I will be looking for that. I have never seen that here.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  05:16:15 AM  Show Profile
Dutchy,
I'm going to my local Latin store today, I'm told they carry it. Not sure what color they'll have but I'll get some for you also for your box. Will let you know for sure if I find it, I don't give up easy. May have to make a trip to the Big D to find it. We will be making MaryJanes pretty soap in no time.
Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  06:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dutchy- You shouldn't use Dove because that will leave a residue in your clothes.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  09:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Dutchy,
I second what Alee says. There is too much moisturizer in that soap. That is good for dry skin, though.

I hope Melody can find the pink zote for you.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:27:32 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, I was just at the store and guess what I found? Pink Zote!! They had a whole lot of it and some white, too. I got 3 pink bars. And a box of the Borax. I had a 4 lb. box of soda so will need another one. But what I am having a hard time finding now is washing soda. The girl at the customer service said she wanted to make some too and looked it up and she said that baking soda and washing soda are the same thing. What is the difference? Could I then use 3 boxes of baking soda instead?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Baking soda and Washing Soda are not the same thing.

Washing Soda is: The chemical formula for washing soda is Na2CO3, and it is also known as sodium carbonate. It is a salt of carbonic acid, a chemical which produces a wide range of salts collectively known as carbonates. One common source of washing soda is the ashes of plants; for this reason, it is sometimes called soda ash. Sodium carbonate can also be extracted from sodium chloride, also known as table salt.

In laundry, washing soda accomplishes several things. The high alkalinity of washing soda helps it act as a solvent to remove a range of stains, and unlike bleach, washing soda does not usually stain. It is also used in detergent mixtures to treat hard water; the washing soda binds to the minerals which make water hard, allowing detergent to foam properly so that clothing will come out clean, without any residue. Sodium carbonate is also used by some textile artists, since it helps dyes adhere to fabric, resulting in deeper penetration and a longer lasting color.

Baking Soda is: Baking soda, otherwise known as bicarbonate of soda, sodium bicarbonate, and, less commonly, saleratus, is a chemical salt with diverse practical uses. With a chemical formula of NaHCO3, baking soda is a white powder with crystalline grains. Although it can be produced by artificial means, in its natural form, baking soda is called nahcolite, taking its name from its chemical formula.

Baking soda is weakly alkaline. As such, it acts to neutralize acids and break down proteins. This quality accounts for its usefulness as a tenderizer and a leaven. Also, it is baking soda’s neutralizing action on acidic scent molecules that makes it an effective deodorizer. Added to the water when doing laundry, baking soda stabilizes the pH level, enhancing the detergent’s effectiveness. Baking soda may also be added to swimming pool water to balance the pH and keep the water clear.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Alee. You are just full of info. So where is the best place to get the washing soda? I am all ready to make this detergent.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Hello Sweet Farmgirls!

Thank you for the compliments on my blog! I sure have fun with it. I bought the pink picnic tin at HomeGoods about 7 years ago. Gooseberry Patch use to carry it and still might. You can Google them and they have a catalog on line or a free one to send to your home.

The laundry detergent is wonderful! Washing some beach towels at the moment!!! Dutchy, you can use Ivory soap if that is available for you. As the others have said, the Dove would not be a good choice. I hope Melody June can find some for your package!

Marly, no I did not paint my bike. It came in that pretty pink! It is a "Townie Elite" bike and I love it! I added extras to give it a vintage look.

Lizabeth, my dinnerware is from Target! I bought it many moons ago! I have lavender and mint green sets. It was quite inexpensive.

Karin, I love ZOTE also! I soaked a white blouse in it over-night and it turned out clean! It is a great sourse for getting out the dirt/grim isn't it?! My son served his mission in Montana!

Thanks farmgirls! Great visiting with you! If my laundry detergent blog post doen't answer a question, just give a shout or if ya just want to talk! xox

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  11:01:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee! Great research! Kris, thrilled you found it! Walmart carries ZOTE also. I buy my Fels Naptha soap at WinCo. I love them both and change back and forth when making a batch up!

I actually buy ALL my ingredients at WinCo. if Walmart does not have it.

Farmgirls, you can always cut the recipe in half if the recipe is to large for you to make!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Jul 11 2009 11:03:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  11:21:38 AM  Show Profile
YAY Melody June!!!!!

Mary Jane (or Alee ;) ), washing soda is that the same as the soda you use in the kitchen to clean out a ,say, dirty thermos flask??

I have read Borax can be hazardous, is that true?? Just asking all these questions. I just wanna know more :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  12:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Dutchy,
The washing soda is not the same as the baking soda you use in the kitchen.
It is made by the same company. (at least here in the US anyways)

It is soda ash, and I read on the laundry detergant thread that you can also buy it at a pool supply store.

Borax is dangerous if used incorrectly, but it is good for this use. I don't use as much because it irritates my skin.
In my recipe I use:
1 cup very finely grated Zote or Fels,
1 cup washing soda
3/4 cup borax-maybe a little bit less.
1/4 cup baking soda
1 cup Oxyclean

I whirl them all together in my food processer. I'd mix it all by hand but my rotator cuff is shot; I also make quite a bit at a time too.
I also let my bars of soap dry out for a long time before I use them. I have bars that are drying since Sept of 08' to use next batch. By then it will be September again!

I make a batch about every four months.

Use 1 to 2 Tbsp per load-depends on how dirty your load is, or how soft/hard your water is.

I have hard water, so I use 2 Tbsp per load. More if it a load of nasty stinky boy clothes.
I put the 2 Tbsp. of soap in a jar and fill it up half way with hot water and shake it to dissolve it, and throw it in with my clothes while the washer is filling.

Don't forget to use white distilled vinegar as your fabric softener. It really works great, and it gets any leftover soap residue out of your clothes too. Throw 1/2 cup in with your rinse water.
I promise you won't smell like a pickle. The vinegar smell dissipates as your clothes are drying. You won't believe how soft your clothes will be either!

Edited by - kissmekate on Jul 11 2009 12:53:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  1:37:14 PM  Show Profile
The pink laundry soap looks darling! Once I tried the laundry soap I gave a friend (who LOVES pink too!) the recipe, she used the pink Zote soap also :) It sure is cute :)

I found Zote soap at our Kroger/King Soopers Grocery Store in the laundry and cleaning aisle.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  1:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Dutchy, I found the PINK ZOTE at Piggly Wiggly!!! YEAH. I will send you 3 bars. It smells so nice and clean even in the package. Let me know if you can't find the other things there and I can get it here for you. I got everything and will be making mine tonight.
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  2:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh Melody, that is wonderful and so very nice of you! My goodness, I didn't even know there were real Piggly Wiggly's out there! I only heard of it watching one of my favorite movies "Driving Miss Daisy"! How darling!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  2:22:49 PM  Show Profile
Whoo HaaaHaaaa It really is not Piggly Wiggly. I just call it that because I'm from CA and in TX I cannot say Brookshires the correct way and I always get corrected. So years ago I told my girlfriend I was just going to call it Piggly Wiggly from "Driving Miss Daisy" and have ever since. But they really do have the store in all southern states.
http://www.pigglywiggly.com/cgi-bin/customize?storelocations.html

Check out the site for one in your area. LOL I just love the name.
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  2:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh girl, you are to funny! I am a CA gal to! You made my day! I love the name! Now off to check out Piggly Wiggly online!!!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic PINK Homemade Laundry Detergent! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page