Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Knit a long, Crochet a long, use up stash
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knit a long, Crochet a long, use up stash Next Topic
Page: of 3

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  08:45:36 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirls,
I know of a wonderful non profit organization who is in need of newborn hats made of wool. OneH.E.A.R.T.Tibet is a non profit organization who believe women should not die in order to give life.

This organization teaches caregivers and expectant mothers in Tibet prenatal care and also how to deliver babies.
In Tibet 1 in every 33 women die in childbirth. 1 in every 10 babies die within the first month. Tibet suffers from some of the highest infant mortality rates in the world. (info from KSL.com 9/18/08) At 12,000 to 15,000 feet it is cold and those newborn heads could use warm hats.

OneH.E.A.R.T. provides clean birth kits along with training. They would also like to provide hats for newborns. A team will be going to Tibet in June and also October to provide training and deliver kits along with the hats that are gathered.

It doesn't take much yarn to knit or crochet a newborn hat. I am using up my stash and from one skein I made 4 little hats. 0-6 month size hats should measure 16 1/2" circumference.

Since most organizations in America want washable, synthetic, or blend fiber this is the perfect chance for us to use up wool yarn we have left from projects. The reason for wool is that warmth is most important.

How about it farmgirls? Are any of you able to help with this project? Please check out their website onehearttibet.org to learn more about their organization. Contact me through my email to find out where to send the hats when completed. The deadline to help with the June delivery is June 10, 2009 and if you don't make that date let's work towards September 20, 2009 Hope you can help.

Kris
barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

Edited by - barnagainkristin on May 05 2009 11:35:51 AM

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  09:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Kris I can't knit or Crochet but would love to send some yarn for some. I have two pkgs one blue one pink of RED heart light and lofty 6oz yarn that I bought thinking I could do this Not so much I do ok on Dishcloths but thats as well as I can do.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  11:12:46 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,
Sound great I will check out their website. Thanks for passing along the information
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  11:19:00 AM  Show Profile
Diana,
Thanks so much for the offer of yarn. If I am correct red heart is not wool. I think there is another thread where ladies are knitting for warm up america and I think they want washable yarn so maybe they could use it. I wish I lived by you so we could knit together since I really think you could catch on and knit up just about anything. Don't give up. Sounds like you are getting it if you are knitting washcloths.

kris
barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  11:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
Thanks for your interest in oneheart. If you decide that you can make any hats let me know since they thought it would be best for me to gather them and make one delivery to their office in June. I think you will like their website and especially around mother's day. I'm not sure where I read it but one birthing attendant was sent to help a mother who had been in labor for 3 days. The attendant arrived and they were transporting this mother on a tractor when she gave birth. I think most of the women they are helping live in areas where it is common for a woman to give birth alone in a shed or barn. Aren't we lucky to have what we have as far as help and technology go. Thanks again and email me for my address if you want to help.

Kris
barnagainkristin

Edited by - barnagainkristin on May 05 2009 11:27:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  07:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,

I want to help. Sign me up!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  07:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I will be on the lookout for wool yarn so I can help too. Thanks.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  8:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Theresa and Karen,
Thanks so much for helping. I have been making little hats and it's quite fun to imagine where they are going and the little faces that will look out from under them. You made my day by saying that you would help. When you are ready just email me and I'll get the info to you. I knew farmgirls would plow through on this and help the Tibetan mothers and babies.

Bless Ewe,
barnagainkristin

Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  08:18:47 AM  Show Profile
I've got one done so far. Think I have enough of the same wool to make another this morning while waiting for the kids at gymnastics.

Theresa in Colorado

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  11:03:18 AM  Show Profile
Ok, got 2 more done. So, that makes 3 for me so far.

Theresa in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  2:47:56 PM  Show Profile
Theresa,
You are awesome. Can't wait to see the little cuties.

barnagainkristin

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Kristin...I'm in! Wool eh? I'll check out the website and email ya later. I know I have some wool around somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  6:38:07 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, I emailed you!

Theresa in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  3:28:40 PM  Show Profile
StarMeadow,
So happy you are willing to help. Let me know if you can't find that wool and I'll try to round you up some.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  3:30:45 PM  Show Profile
Theresa,
Got your email and I emailed you. Farmgirl Philanthropy! What a great idea.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  5:18:06 PM  Show Profile
sounds like a great project. Do they care what color? In a moment of what must have been insanity, I dyed the wool yarn from our sheep in neon colors - hot pink, lime green etc. Everyone stares at it and then calmly says It is er bright...Would it work for this project though? Sara
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  5:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Picked up some more wool today, so I'm back at it!

Theresa in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  7:49:59 PM  Show Profile
Sara,
If you have a chance to go on their website you can see pictures of what they wear. I think your colors would be just fine. When I asked they said they wear mostly rich colors and pink. If I had a baby who was cold I wouldn't care what color hat I put on their little head as long as it kept them warm. I'll let you decide what to do. The older I get the more I love bright colors. If you do decide to knit or crochet some little hats just email me and I'll get you the info as to where to send them.
How awesome that you die your own sheeps wool.
Hope to hear more from you.

barnagainkristin

(I just thought about Tibetan sand mandalas and if you have ever seen one you know how bright they are. I have some sand grains from one and they are hot pink, lime green and every other color imaginable. :)

Edited by - barnagainkristin on May 12 2009 7:53:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  8:05:44 PM  Show Profile
Theresa,
You are awesome. I have been watching for wool at thrift stores whenever I have time to stop in one. Just today I found 2 beautiful hanks of dusty blue yarn in a bag for 2.99. Each hank contains 240 yds. so after I finish the yarn I am working on I will start making tiny blue hats. Who knows how many I can get out of almost 500 yds.
Don't know if you are enjoying this as much as I am but as I knit each little hat I think about the beautful little ones whose heads they will go on and it makes knitting so much fun.
I think you crochet since I have seen your wonderful dolls. I read about you in the current issue of Mary Jane's Farm. Congratulations on being featured, and good job with your Warm up America campaign. The blankets turned out beautiful.
Do you have a specific pattern for the hats you are making or do you just make it up as you go? I would love to crochet a few but wouldn't dare without having a pattern. I'm a little braver with knitting.

Thanks again for all your hard work!
barnagainkristin

Edited by - barnagainkristin on May 12 2009 8:08:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  8:22:06 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,

Yep, I crochet. I knit a bit, but am a beginner {can you do a whole hat in garter stitch? :) }. I may try a knit one though just for fun! Wow, what a find with that yarn, lucky girl!

I decided simple and fast was best for these hats, so I'm using the pattern found here http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemieround.html
Nothing fancy, just warm wool hats for those precious babies! Yes, it's fun to think of them as I make the hats. . . a little prayer goes into each stitch.

Thank you for the kind words!

Theresa in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  8:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Theresa,
Thanks for the pattern link. What cute little hats! Happy to hear someone else is putting a little prayer into their hats too. :)

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  10:34:55 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,

Do we have them to you by June 10 or you have to drop them off on June 10? I guess what I really need is a "ship to you deadline date". Thanks!

Theresa in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  6:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Theresa,
I will find out exactly when they will be going to Tibet. They said late June so I set the June 10th date hoping that if anyone helped they could ship to me by then. I think that date is safe to shoot for but I will find out exactly when I need to deliver them in case anyone needs more time.

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  09:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls,
Waiting to hear back from One HEART on the exact date they need the hats but until then lets stick to the June 10th deadline. That would be have them to me by June 10th if possible. Let me know who all is working on this so I will know who to expect packages from. If you still need mailing info email me. Thanks again for helping with this project. :)

barnagainkristin

Edited by - barnagainkristin on May 19 2009 09:35:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  11:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kristin,

Can you email me your mailing address? We've got several farmgirls working on hats right now in the Farmgirl Philanthropy chapter. I'll post our mail date over there and email those girls your address.

Thanks!

Theresa in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  8:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Theresa,
I emailed you some info. Thanks for your help!

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knit a long, Crochet a long, use up stash Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page