True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  1:44:18 PM  Show Profile
I hate the Bratz too!

American Girl is much better! And Stradsburg sells their clothes for them! lol I got my daughter a doll dress to match her dress for 6 dollars on the clearance last week. :)

Thanks Tracy I will check it out, it looks great!

One thing I can't stress enough about Stradsburg is their quality. It is the highest quality clothing I have seen in ages. The thickness of the material, the sewing, it's all just such high high quality. And I love that they purposely make the clothes so they are easily adjusted to grow with your child for a few years. :) Makes the price seem more worth it. BUT, I will admit, their prices were shocking. And I have yet to purchase anything over 30 dollars. lol I'm a clearance rack person! lol :)

BTW, with my religion skirts/dresses are required during certain things. And we have very cold weather and high wind here too.

LONG wool skirts (very long), layering a must, here's what I do start with cuddle duds on bottom, tank top on top. Then thermal pants on top of cuddle duds on bottom, cuddle duds on top of tank on top. VERY thick sweater on top, wool skirt on bottom. Long heavy coat over all. On feet thin dress socks, then wool socks over them, then nice insulated boots on top. :) Then I'm just right and can be outside for a good amount of time. Don't forget the scarf, ear muffs, and hat on top too! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  2:29:21 PM  Show Profile
I am on the road to becoming a more modest dresser. I still wear tight jeans, but since becoming a wife and mother I am more aware of how men view me. I have learned to consider what kind of attention I am asking for.
I also can not believe what little girls are wearing these days. Luckily I have boys, but if or when I have a girl she isn't going to be wearing half of this crap. Any theory on why culture is promoting the sexualization of our children?
I think "motherhen" is on the right path with home schooling, it keeps our young'ins a bit less influenced by peers.

Heather: What are cuddle duds???
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  5:53:57 PM  Show Profile
cuddle duds are soft, thin long johns. lol :) I don't actually wear cuddle duds though, they are a name brand, I get store brands that are just like them. lol hahaha :)

Well, the wind here gets really really fast. In the city the buildings are set up so we get gust of winds going through them that makes it feel much colder then it is. The wind can go right through you so easily.

It's not gotten hot here yet. lol It's been raining for a week! lol hahahaha It's been quite chilly really. lol Believe it or not, at Church the women are still wearing turtle necks and wool skirts! lol Sometimes it doesn't get hot till around June. I live very close to the water...so sometimes the summer never really does get hot.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  5:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah CW, my husband and I don't understand this sexualization of children either! Even words like SEXY are printed on the bottoms of 6 year olds jeans/pants!

I really have NO idea what these parents are thinking when they buy these. I'm sorry I don't look at a 6 year old and think "sexy"! ick!

It's really quite stomach turning.

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  7:19:23 PM  Show Profile
I think they think it's cute, well, it's not!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  7:44:55 PM  Show Profile

Thanks, for the cuddle duds explanation! I think I might have something similar, but they'd be up with the ski stuff. It has been in the 70s here.
It is scary what some parents think is cute, don't people realize that child predators exist. I got my degree in criminology/sociology, the way these guys think about little kids is delusional... we don't need to be encouraging it by dressing them as twenty-somethings.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  9:14:18 PM  Show Profile
AMEN Chelsea!

((and thanks also for the cuddle duds explanation, I figured it was like long johns. I wear men's long johns in the winter(not any name brand ones) as they make them thicker than women's. I do chores outside twice a day in the winter and need the warmth))

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Edited by - Mother Hen on May 04 2009 9:14:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  9:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Someone told me they wear silk long johns and they are very warm.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  06:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
wow! this thread has really taken off in the past few days. i have a few more tid-bits to share with you. www.gypsyrose.com is a great source of long skirts for any season and they share our eco values. for a more modern modest look, i love ann taylor loft (yes, i know i work for them, but i only applied there because i love and own thier clothes). browse on line at http://www.anntaylorloft.com/home.jsp and instore clearance it awesome (that's where i shop).

as for my personal definition of modesty, i do have to admit it is more revealing than what some would aprove of. since i've moved to a tropical location, i am coming to a realisation that modesty is revelant to geography. i do wear my skirts a bit above my knees and i buy my pants snug (with an hour glass figure, loose pants make me look huge). my stomach is never allowed to show and i honestly attempt to keep my bust compleatly covered, but with its size that is sometimes difficult.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  06:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Corrine, that makes perfect sense to me. When it gets super hot here I may have some cleavage show but it's not deliberate....just because of the tank type tops I wear to stay cool. Much of it is the intention of the wearer.

My X husband is offended and avoids the swimming pools because of the revealing swim suits. I think it disturbs him because of the natural attraction...he is doing what he can to think like a gentleman.

Linda
in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71

The Universe says: Speak abundance and act abundantly, no matter what, and an outpouring of the "stuff," far in
excess of what we could ever spend will come!
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  06:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Like ya'all I think it is more difficult depending on your body type. Naturally I don't have much going on up top...but when I was nursing it took a few other women to point out the fact that I can't wear some of the same shirts as I had before.
My close girlfriend is rather endowed and has the hardest time shopping for clothes, a lot of trendy things are too revealing on her frame.
I agree with Linda about the "intention of the wearer", some girls do it on purpose and others are just oblivious. I personally was a bit surprised when I learned how much the visual really affects men.
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  3:23:18 PM  Show Profile
i have had a girl come into my work wearing nothing but her bikini. now i may live at the beach, but my job is several miles inland and there is no reason she should have been dressed like that. at least some type of cover up would have been nice. what gets me are these girls who do dress a certin way and then get mad if anyone looks at them.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  4:09:44 PM  Show Profile
One summer I went to Coney Island, and you would not believe what some one was wearing as a bikini. I can't for the life of me remember what she was wearing on the bottom, because I was staring at her top so hard trying to figure out what it was she was wearing...then I figured it out! Fishing wire (yes transparent), tying together, get this.......washers, you know the small metal medallions, with a hole in the middle, used as hardware.......One washer over each nipple, with fishing wire tying them together, the wire went around her back, and over her neck, in a triangle like shape....believe me I had to stare hard to figure out what I was exactly seeing! lol hahahahaha I am surprised to this day she wasn't arrested. lol hahahaha All it literally was was 2 washers, with fishing wire...and that was her top! hahahaha

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  4:13:16 PM  Show Profile
I think modesty is in the eye of the wearer. It sounds like most of us are aware of what we are wearing. I am pretty proportioned well myself, so I can wear most things. I was a little more revealing in my youth, but not anywhere near as the girls now-a-days. I have a classy-elegant Mom, so I learned from the best.

It is just recently I have been more and more cautious about what I wear. I don't want to send my daughter the wrong message. It is also part of the reason I don't date much either. It has been my experience that most guys out there aren't into courting/chilvary/manners or being a gentleman anymore. Only one man in the past ten years had any of those intentions. He just didn't pay his bills. (dodged a bullet with that one!) money issues aside, he is the yardstick I measure other men up with manners wise. Most don't!

Being "modest" is a self respect thing too. The little girls who flaunt it probably don't have much of that or self esteem either. (which makes you wonder where are their Mamas?)

I never really thought about how we dress would affect men. Pondering it for a while kind turned the light bulb on for me.

Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  4:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Heather, i am speachless

Karen ^_^

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  4:48:54 PM  Show Profile
It was the tackiest thing I ever seen Karen.

You are right Kate, manners are out the window. Mainly because some people don't think they deserve them! My MIL says things like she doesn't deserve a door opened for her, etc. I have tried to tell her it's not about deserving it's about manners....but she doesn't get it. I thank God, literally it was my husband's father's parents who raised him and not her.

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  5:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Heather I agree and what happened to old fashioned manners?. I taught my children to respect other people, yes, please & thank you were probably among the first words they were taught. My son also was never allowed to wear his baseball cap in the house while sitting around. That came from my Gram.. She hated that.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  5:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Ladies--young ladies, especially don't understand the kind of people that look at them when they are dressed scantily. I will never forget this one time that CR and I went to the park when we were dating. It was getting towards the end of the day and everyone was headed back to their cars. We were getting in ours and were about to turn the car on when CR looked out his window to check in the mirror and here was this girl bottom smooshed against the window. I do mean bathing suit, or shorts, or any item of clothing I mean her actual bottom. She was wearing a bathing suit that has a string for the backside.
I didn't know what to do. We hadn't been dating long. I was so embarassed for her, but more embarassed that we had to see it right there against our window.
All CR said was "Boy, she forgot to finish getting dressed this morning."
Its a terrible thing that our husbands and sons cant go out in public without being forced to look at stuff like this.
I am really thankful that Tori even as young as she is, doesn't like things that dont cover. Her skirts longer, he shirts covering her chest. I am glad that at 3 she is like that.
We shall see how it goes when she is 12 though.:D
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  6:23:14 PM  Show Profile
This thread is really making me laugh!!!! Ok so.....I don't wear skirts except to church. I try to dress modestly though and now that I have a daughter I think my style's have probably changed a tad! I have neighbors who are part of the same group the Duggar's are and no offense to these people but IMHO they look like they just got out of the latest mission barrel. I don't think that is attractive in the least. ON the flip side though....I think it is repulsive to walk around with half your personals hanging out. I think there is a fine line somewhere in the middle....it's just finding it!!
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  6:38:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm pretty casual so I try to buy from Eddie Bauer (their end of season clearance is wonderful). Cords or jeans and t-shirts are my usual style. So I guess I'm pretty conservative in my attire. But I do hear many of you about the "hoochie-mama" wear out there or the "stripper girl", there is such thing as too much skin. (I did laugh about washer-girl though, I wonder if anybody ever said something to her?) .Unfortunately I think sometimes these gals feel they're being sexy, when really what's attractive is being comfortable in your skin and being happy.

I wonder if men really take these gals seriously (as in do they have two brain cells to rub together), might be interesting to know.

I'm really disappointed by many of the girls clothes out there, right now my daughter is 2 1/2 but when she's older, it's tough to find stuff that's still girlish.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  2:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Amen Chelsea! I won't even wear sleeveless shirts or dresses or shorts. I wear long comfortable pants, not jeans, or I wear dresses.

What concerns me about the way young people are dressing, especially girls, is that they are dressing like that to attract boys but don't seem to realize that not just the boys they want to attract are checking them out. I was at a store behind a mother and her two young girls, maybe 8 and 12, with hardly any clothes on, and the creepy old guy between us was just ogling them..creeped me out. I wish they would realize the horrible energy they are getting. I have 3 boys so never got to make girl clothes until now for my granddaughter who is 3. I am having so much fun.

I am creating childrens clothes and womens clothes for the Vendor Fair at the BBB. I am having alot of fun and think I have found my true calling! Please check me out if you are going to be there, with Lisa Marie, and I am focusing on the "Prarie Princess" look for girls. I have tried to get an Etsy site up and running but am having problems getting the pictures to post. I also started a Web Site but haven't finished it either. One day I hope to!

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  10:29:33 AM  Show Profile
Please email me if you ever get your Etsy site to work, I love the prairie look!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  10:42:40 AM  Show Profile
Heather...when I was last in Brooklyn, they had just passed that it was ok for women to go topless at Coney Island beaches...maybe she was just being modest ;)

I personally did NOT go topless, and didn't see very many women who were. But I'm SURE they're out there--Coney Island is where you'd see it, if you were gonna see it!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  11:19:14 AM  Show Profile
I just saw this post. . . we dress pretty modestly around here too. I wear skirts/dresses about 70% of the time (I often wear jeans in the winter and for outdoor work). I have taught my daughter to wear pantaloons, leggings or shorts under her skirts. Usually buy her shirt on the big side to cover her long torso and we often layer longer, close fitting tees under more trendy tops. I usually make our skirts. Just got an adorable pattern for a twirly skirt with built in shorts!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  11:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Rose you are so right! I don't know how many times i have seen men ogling young girls. it not only makes you angry at they way they are dressed but changed your view of men. Esp. when they are so obvious about it.

Karen ^_^

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Modest Dressing/Attire Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page