Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jennifer
McMurray PA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 05 2012 :  5:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,

I hope that everyone had a wonderful Beltane. I just finished my Weight Management/ SPorts Nutrition class, and lost two pounds in the process.

Rosemary, I'm wondering what kind of witchy stuff do you have? I am a little thin on things, being more toward the green witch side of life.

Love the moment, and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  05:20:02 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Did y'all see that gorgeous moon last night!!! It looked like I could reach out and touch it....and in a way, I did! It was so soothing and, and, magical! I know everything in my garden grew two inches last night in Her glory! When I went to bed last night, I slept like a baby and dreamed wonderful dreams! But before that I went for a long walk in the Moonlight...I examined all my farm and felt absolutely giddy when I finally came back inside the house! I love extra special nights like last night!!!

Okay, I know my name is on the bottom of the mailing list, but think of all the things I will get to read!!! I can't wait!!!! But, of course, I will! Hehehe...

Off to work!!!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  07:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary, I already have your address. It's on the Round Robin list. There was an address that was missing and we added a new witch!. Marylyn, It was cloudy here last night and I didn't get outside in time. Apparently, there was a short window of opportunity! Melanie, I am a Hoosier too! Born and raised! My family all lives in the Northeast Corner an hour north of Fort Wayne.

I am SO happy this thread is getting active. As you can see it's been around for several years.

BB
)O(
Kim

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  07:30:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rachel! When the next witch get the letters, please let me know, we have Melanie's address to add. Marylyn, I am right there with you. I can't wait to read all the letters!!

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  1:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Well,I for one am so glad that I found this thread...I mean Farmgirls and Witches!!! It doesn't get any better than this!!! Hehehe...I am so busy this time of year as every Farmgirl is, but to have all of you to share with!!! And sometimes it just does a body good to have people around who understand what you are talking about and understand how the Goddess is just what we need when we need Her!....there I go ... Getting all giddy again!!!

Melanie- how are those books going? As far as advising about books goes, this path is so diversified that it is hard to suggest books. Have you ever read any Ellen Dugan books? She is very 'beginner' and, heck, I still enjoy reading her. I just saw she designed a new tarot deck...I will probably order it!!! I don't know if that was helpful...maybe not , but it is a beginning. Amazon has tons of books as does Llwelyn.

See ya!!!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  5:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary~ I may be interested in some of your witchy goodies. Anything special you think would come in handy for a new witch?

That moon last night was amazing! In fact yesterday was amazing! I left home yesterday afternoon to go spend the evening with my ummmm guy friend and his friends. (We’re not boyfriend/girlfriend yet. We’re taking things slow and getting to know each other.) Anyhow his friends were in a little town about an hour or so from here camping, celebrating a birthday. The park is gorgeous! It was soooo wonderful to get out in all that green and their campsite was right next to the creek! I was standing there, losing myself in the sound of the creek bubbling over the rocks and this chocolate lab came barreling out of the woods on the other side of the creek and jumped on in for a swim. He finally came out on our side, ran around the park for about an hour and then crossed back over the creek and headed home. A little later we headed back for home and that’s when I spotted the moon coming up. I think my guy enjoyed it too, maybe not quite as much as I did though lol.

Kim~ another Hoosier witchy farmgirl?! LOL That’s great! I’m in the opposite corner from where your family lives lol. Southwest about 20 minutes from Evansville.

Marylyn~ I’m a little more than halfway through the book. I just finished the section on the elements. Very interesting! It’s really something how as I’m learning I realize deep down I really all ready knew some of the things I’m reading about. Does that make any sense? I’m so very new to all of this, I’m really not sure where to start. I will definitely check into the books you suggested. I’m a bit of a history nut so I’m thinking I may look into some books on the history of witchcraft or paganism as well as some on different goddesses and the different paths that I may come across. I have a set of tarot cards I’ve been working with for a little over a month now, designed by Josephine Ellershaw. I’ve only done one reading so far and really enjoyed it even though there was one card that still has me very puzzled.

Blessings all,
Melanie

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  7:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Just a question for some of you more experienced ladies - is there such a thing as a Christian witch? The reason I ask is because I am somewhat conflicted between my religious upbringing and the feelings I've had in the past few years that there is more out there than what I was taught. I don't need my family feeling that my cheese has slipped off my cracker any worse than it actually has. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go

Farmgirl Sister #2351
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 06 2012 :  8:15:57 PM  Show Profile
I totally understand. There are numerous things I enjoyed about my Christian up bringing. I tend to mix a lot of it together. Hoodoo has Christian aspects to it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodoo_%28folk_magic%29 There is a book review I saw in Sage Woman. I'll have to find it. It talks about being both.

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  06:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I'm with you Kay. The only ones in my family that know I'm exploring this path is my children and well the younger two could care less, but my oldest is giving me a lot of flack. All though this morning we were talking and I explained to her the questions I have and asked her what our pastor would say to me if I went to him with them. I think she understands why I am on my journey now. But I have faith we will find our paths.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  11:42:36 AM  Show Profile
About my basket of witchy goodies: I have the infamous "The Burning Times" video, the Marija Gambutas video that accompanied her (literally) groundbreaking book on women's archeological heritage, an aluminum doumbek that I last played as a member of the Pagan Drum Corps at the March for Women's Health on the Mall in DC a few years ago, a few audio tapes acquired at Pagan festivals such as Starwood, odds and ends left over from creating amulets, some charcoal for burning incense powders, several lovely Tarot decks (in hand-made pouches) that I haven't used in a long time, including the miniature Rider-Waite and the circular Motherpeace deck, and, well, just a whole bunch of stuff. You will want to cleanse and charge them in your own way to make them yours. All have served me properly and well.

I received a personal reply a couple of days ago that I've managed to lose :( Maybe you'd like to send again? Also, Melanie, feel free to send me a message, too. I'm try to be more attentive. It's been wildly busy here this spring, as I'm sure is true for us all!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  11:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, back when I was teaching "Wtchcraft 101" and facilitating a group that you could only loosely call a coven, one of the things I often heard from newcomers was "I feel like I've found my way home." So much of what we do is reclaiming.

Books I'd recommend, if you can find them, include Starhawk's classic "The Spiral Dance." It remains my favorite in all my years of witchiness, which spans more than fifty years. I've also found that it pays to read everything you can on plain old archeology, history, linguistics, earth sciences (of course!) and whatever catches your eye on a shelf. Wisdom is power, and one way to exercise your wisdom muscles is to gather information and decide for yourself what is valuable and what is what I call "witchcrap." I especially urge all witches to read anything by Isaac Bonewits. I was honored to know Isaac and have many blessings in my life as a direct result of that connection. I'm the same Mara to whom he dedicated (along with my friends Elspeth and Nybor) one of his last books, which happens to be a good, no-BS guide to Wicca. I wrote a review of it on Amazon.com, Check it out. No, I don't get royalties! Just promoting good energy when I find it :)

Edited by - Rosemary on May 07 2012 11:56:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  12:10:10 PM  Show Profile
Kay, there certainly are Christian witches! One of the most wonderful people I ever knew was a Methodist minister as well as an active leader in the East Coast Pagan community. He always called himself a Witch.

He organized a terrific event one time that I've never heard of anyone else doing again, and I feel the time is ripe for it. He called it "Ecumenicon." It was held in very early spring, and was an assembly of spokespersons from every spiritual path he could convince to attend. It included a Catholic priest and a nun from a school that serves at-risk inner city youth, two rabbis, ministers from several different Protestant congregations, a Muslim cleric, representatives from different Pagan paths, and even agnostics. Each brought components for a huge meal representing foods associated with various holidays in their religious tradition. As everyone enjoyed these treats, a representative from that faith would explain what the food symbolizes, where and when the tradition started, and why it's important to keep it alive. It was sort of a giant Passover seder, I guess. Before (or after, I forget how the sequence went), people moved from one room to another in the Congregational church Sunday school wing where this was held to have discussions with each other about some moral question and how their faith addresses it. The issue that year was capital punishment. It was intense, but also an amazing amount of fun.

Sorry for the ramble! You see, not only can Christians be witches, but witches can be seriously affected by Attention Deficit Disord...oh wow, a hummingbird! Can't tell if it's male or female. Do the females have ruby throats or is that just the males? I wonder if I need to fill up the feeder again..... LOL
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  12:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for reassuring me that I'm on the list. This is such great fun! {{{Witchy Hugs}}}
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  12:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Annie, I loved your message about the Pagan origins of so many Judeo/Christian ritual observations. Do you find Christian friends coming to you for information about the Bible and facts in Christian history? I have one deeply devout Presbyterian friend who says she's my go-to-girl for stuff like that, because all the people in her church group ever talk about is how terrible gay marriage is and whether or not the church should add more handicapped spaces to the parking lot. :) Do you think the folks you talk to ever go and double-check your facts and learn that you were right? I'd like to think so.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  4:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, one of the women I am close to in our "coven", her son believe in one God. She believes in many. I think it's helped form him in that he has made how own decision. He's now a very smart and well adjusted teenager. And sometimes he blesses us with his presence by coming by to say Hi after ritual.

Mara, I want to reach out and touch your hand! Wow, I am star struck!!!

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  6:10:49 PM  Show Profile
Kay there are Christian witches and probably 99%of Hoodoo practitioners are Christian as well as a major part of Hoodoo is based on the Bible. I'm one of the 1% who are not Christian and do not use the Bible but I can share any info I have with you regarding Hoodoo. Ive met a number of witches over the years who are also of a Christian way of thinking and believing seems like a contradiction but for some it works. Go with what feels right.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  09:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary~ Thank you so much for your wonderful advice! And what an amazing event?! To see all those people with different beliefs and backgrounds gathered together -- Wow! And to know that most of us may never be so lucky to witness such a thing but also encouraging to know that hope is still there.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  1:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Mara, unfortunatly the people that I have told about Christian celebrations having stemmed from Pagan culture think I'm nuts! They just don't get it or don't want to believe anything outside their own beliefs and can't expand their thinking, let alone doing some light research on the subject. Which I think is sad. I have always kept an open mind toward other religions, beliefs, etc. That's how I found myself drawn here. It is so wonderful to be able to talk to others who believe as you do and don't judge you or think you've lost your mind. Think my Granny is the one who has guided me in this direction with her Native American beliefs and her reverance to Mother Earth. Miss her so much, but know she's with me every day.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  3:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Annie- I agree. So many people look at me as if I was totally off my rocker. They do minor research, fine a site that says "Never!" and it's the truth. They forget that was how they converted some from Paganism to Christianity in the early times, by adopting some Pagan holidays.

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

OakRoseMama
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Christine
Kempner Texas
USA
22 Posts

Posted - May 09 2012 :  7:18:43 PM  Show Profile
i agree that the spiral dance is a great book choice! i also love everything written by scott cunningham, he has quite a few books on solitary witchcraft too.

Merry meet, merry part, and merry meet again
Farmgirl sister #4010
http://oakrosemama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 10 2012 :  06:45:28 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Scott Cunningham's books are wonderful...I think he and Ellen's are the books I ended up absolutely loving! Of course Scott passed away sooo young, but his books are a life long legacy. His we're among the first that I read and still have. I found Ellen after that and, like Scott, she is so down to Earth and now. I follow her blog, of course, her living in Missouri was a draw for me as well! At that time I couldn't imagine a like-minded person even living in the Mid-West, let lone, living in my home-state. She is straight forward, homey, and I believe Very well rounded.

I, too, giggle to myself when my christian friends put up their tree at Yule, hide Ostra eggs for their children, and swear it is NOT Pagan!!! Hehehe....I just let them think that...coz no one knows!!!

Y'all have a wonder-filled day!

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  07:54:36 AM  Show Profile
Marylyn~ Would you share the link to her blog?

I really enjoy Waverly Fitzgerald's Living in Season. She ties some much of the holidsys/sabbats & seasons together. Today our Circle is honoring mom!

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - May 12 2012 :  08:13:57 AM  Show Profile
Sure Kim ~ it is ellenduganblogspot.com/ ~ sorry, I can't make it link! Just type it .... It will work.

There will be a partial eclipse of the moon on June 4!!!!!

I thank the Universe everyday for this thread....

Love and Light,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  08:26:06 AM  Show Profile
Happy Mother's Day everyone!!!

Forever farmgirl
Farmgirl Sister #1363

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 13 2012 :  1:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Happy Mother's Day!!! We've had a wonderful day! My oldest was baptized this morning at church. She may give some flack here lately but I am proud of my baby girl and I know she appreciated the family being there for this special moment in her life. Then we had an awesome dinner at my sister's house. Way too much yummy food! And to put the nicest little finishing touches on my day, my younger two helped me in the flower beds. I've been wanting to play in the dirt for so long now, but battling an ear infection for the last couple of weeks I just haven't felt like doing much. I've had so many lovely wishes from so many friends and family, but I think my favorite was from my dearest girlfriend who wished me a "happy pro-life being day." She's something else. :)

Hope you all have had a wonderful day celebrating motherhood and all the joys it brings us!

Blessings~ Melanie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83 Gathered Up: Previous Topic witchy farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page