Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 OK, I'm making laundry soap.Is this right??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic OK, I'm making laundry soap.Is this right?? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  11:43:23 AM  Show Profile
For those of you in the know, can you tell me if this looks right?

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Edited by - Nancy Gartenman on Jan 21 2009 11:54:14 AM

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  1:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Looks like mine- Now I am scheduled for surgery I took out my rotator cuff from all of the grating
Well worth the effort- I won't go back to store bought.
Lori

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  1:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Looks great!

Hey if you have a food processor that can grate cheese- you can use that for crating the soap- no human wear and tear necessary! That is what I did until I pulled a not-so-bright move and warped my bowl to my food processor. Long story- but I still have the machine and will buy a replacement part soon...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:28:05 PM  Show Profile
I just finished it and tomorrow will try it out. I know I love using white vinager for the rinse, so I bet I like this too. IT MADE A WHOLE LOT AS YOU CAN SEE IN THE PICTURE, AND CHERYL SAID SHE ONLY USES ONE OR TWO TABLESPOONS. OH look all caps.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Anybody/Nancy I have a 1000 questions how much for the ingredients? And then how much do you use for each load? And how much does it make? Just the 3 bars of Fels naptha in my neck of the woods is $8.00. For that I can buy laundry detergent and have 32 loads. So is this to save money or for better cleaning? How well does it work in well water? Can you make a liquid as my water is so cold the powders won't disolve to well. I see comments about this stuff all the time but never the ingredients displayed. So I now know what it all takes and am very interested to need to ask questions.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nancy Jo- yes! If you load is only light to medium soiled use only a few tablespoons. If the load is really grungy, add a few more! It's a really forgiving recipe.

Also if you have hard water add in baking soda- the same weight as the borax.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Looks wonderful to me Nancy Jo! What recipe did you use? I want to start making my own laundry soap also. Let us know how it works!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  2:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone.. Look at Nancy Jo's Muscles! Roll up those sleeves Hot farm mama!. Yes nancy it looks great... I love it and I think you will too...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  3:05:49 PM  Show Profile
This is what Cheryl told me-
4 lb box washing soda
4lb. box baking soda
4lb box borax
three bars fells soap grated
mix it all up use a few tablespoons.

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  3:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, silly questions, where did you get the washing soda & bars of soap?

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  3:39:56 PM  Show Profile
At my reg. grocery store. Had to look a bit for the soap bars. Couldn't believe I was finding the Armor Hammer washing soda. Never saw it before. But there it was. Good old twenty team mule boxax was there. And of corrse baking soda.
HEY MJL,I saw you out cooking in the wilds on your web site. What a girl.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  3:44:25 PM  Show Profile
I paid 1.15 a bar .. for the Fels Naptha bars. I think altogether I spent less than $10 My soap will probably last me at least 4 months

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile
LOL Nancy Jo! Yeah, had some fun with the dutch oven! Thanks for the heads up on the soap items. I will try my local grocery store! Happy washing girl!

Thanks Cheryl! I will give at try after I get it all!

P.S. I just put a 1/2 cup of white vinegar in my rinse. Clothes are now drying. When I took them out of the washer they smelled so CLEAN and didn't have all that perfume-stuffy smell to them! Hope they turn out soft.

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Jan 21 2009 3:50:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  4:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Heres a tip: I dont know if its right or wrong, but my laundry looks good. I grate the Fels Naptha and I boil it down with a gallon of water in a large stock pot that I've used for non-food chores. Once it's fairly melted, I add in my washing soda and borax and more water. I dont have hard water but I add the baking soda anyway as well as a half dram (small bottle) of lavender. I blend it all together and let it sit overnight and it gels really well. I then stir it with a spoon, and use 1/8 - 1/4 cup per load. I love it and its so worth the work.
FIY: I dont do 3 bars of fels all at once. This is the recipe I follow, I have to make it more often, but I dont mind.

1/2 bar Fels
1c. washing soda
1c. borax
1cup baking soda
lavender

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  4:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, where do you get your lavendar and does your mixture make dry or liquid laundry soap? Thanks Bunches!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
good recipes for the laundry soap...I'm gonna make some powdered.

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  6:11:50 PM  Show Profile
I find that my grocery store that is locally owned carries all of these ingredients, while the big chain grocery does not.

~Rhonda

http://rmfo-blogs.com/rhonda
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  6:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Mine makes a liquid as I have an energy efficient washer that only permits liquid soaps. I get the lavender at sally beauty supply of all places. Its a brand that I used as an esthetician and I still like it. It starts with an A..... sorry its escaping me. However, the lavender oil is something that you could find at any health/natural goods place. I like my laundry to smell like lav.... in the summer I add lemon juice to my rinse (with the vinegar) and it brightens great. Alee gave me that tip!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  8:22:38 PM  Show Profile
I have all the ingredients except for the Fels Naptha, I love that stuff, I always use that to clean my brushes when I'm oil painting. Of course I haven't painted in years, too busy quilting. I', going to get some as soon as I get my car fixed. It is going to the repair shop tomorrow, and I'm hoping this time they fix it correctly....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  9:43:15 PM  Show Profile
Nancy-Ladies,

To grate your soap easier, unwrap them and let them dry for months before you use them. I have two sets of bars drying Fout for the next two batches. I replace/rotate soap bars as needed.

Has anyone compared Fels vs' Zote? Which one did you prefer?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jan 21 2009 9:45:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  04:27:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kate.

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  05:44:52 AM  Show Profile
I had no idea that these recipes made so much, that you use so little and that it lasts so long. I think it's time I try it, too. Hmmm, is one 5-gallon bucket big enough to mix it all together?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

[size=1]My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com [size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  07:48:56 AM  Show Profile
I used a rubbermaid dishpan. Picture on my site.

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  08:04:03 AM  Show Profile
Diana, I pay 1.09 for a bar of Fels Naptha - after I grate it and mix it with equal parts of Borax and Washing Soda I have a little over 3 cups of powder, I use 1.5 tablespoons per load and that lasts me a month (I don't have kids at home) It is definitely cheaper than buying commercial and I've never had an issue with it's cleaning abilities!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  08:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa- yes, one 5 gallon bucket is big enough. Are you going to make the powder or the liquid?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  08:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
By the way- here is a copy of MaryJane's article about the homemade laundry soap:

Cleaning clothes is dirt cheap with homemade laundry detergent

MaryJane Butters for MaryJane's Everyday Organic

Is there anything better than the smell of clean laundry? Something about crisp linens just out of the wash conjures up lighthearted sensations of spring sunshine. I love the way that perfect, fleeting freshness makes the world feel utterly luxurious. But many commercial detergents, as well as dryer sheets touting "spring fresh" scents, contain toxic chemicals that can be absorbed through the skin and permeate the air we breathe, so a growing faction of farmgirls-at-heart are rolling up their sleeves and thinking outside the store-bought soap box.
Making your own laundry detergent is so easy and cost-effective that it's a wonder we ever started buying the brand-name stuff at all. The recipes for both liquid and powder laundry detergents are simple, natural and cost as little as two cents per load!
All you need are three basic ingredients: soap (bar, powdered or liquid), borax and washing soda — all of which you can buy at your local grocery or health food store. For soap, I recommend going au naturel with either Boraxo powdered hand soap or Castile soap, which comes in both liquid and bar form. The next ingredient, borax, is a mineral compound that works as a multipurpose cleaner and bleach, so it's a green solution to keeping your whites bright. Washing soda, which is similar to baking soda but more alkaline, cuts grease and neutralizes odors. Here are two basic recipes for liquid and powdered laundry detergents. If you miss the floral fragrance of commercial brands, you can use naturally scented bar soap — or vamp it up even more by adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the liquid detergent recipe — lavender is always divine! Please note that even though the ingredients are from natural sources, they can irritate the skin, so it's a good idea to wear gloves while mixing.

Powdered Laundry Detergent (makes 4 cups)

2 cups powdered hand soap (I use Boraxo)
1 cup washing soda (I use Arm & Hammer)
1 cup borax (I use 20 Mule Team Borax natural laundry booster)

Mix all ingredients well and store in an airtight plastic container. Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry.

Liquid Laundry Detergent (makes approx. 2 ½ gallons)

2 cups finely grated natural or artisan bar soap OR 1 cup liquid castile soap (I use Kirk's Original Coco Castile soap, a very inexpensive natural coconut oil soap) OR 2 cups powdered hand soap (I use Boraxo)
(Note: Grating the soap may seem tedious, but you can do it in a food processor with a grater attachment, and it makes a ton of detergent—more than a month’s worth for my family!)
2 cups borax (I use 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster)
2 cups washing soda (I use Arm & Hammer)

Mix soap, borax and washing soda in a pan with 1 quart water. Heat to just shy of boiling, stirring, until water thickens and suds form. Pour into a clean 5-gallon bucket. Pour another 2 1/2 gallons of boiling water into bucket; stir well. Let sit for 24 hours. You can leave it in the bucket and cover it, but I like to store mine in vintage 1/2-gallon milk bottles. Use 1/4 cup per regular load. If the mixture separates over time, either stir or gently tilt back and forth in its container to re-mix.

Your costs for these homemade laundry detergents? The liquid detergent will cost you about two cents per load and the powdered detergent about 12 cents per load—quite a savings compared to around 20 cents per load for major store brands and even more for those found in a natural-foods store.
To eliminate the residues left on your clothes by fabric-softening dryer sheets, try adding 1/4 cup white vinegar to your rinse water to soften fabric, brighten whites and eliminate cling. Then, make your own dryer sheet by rubbing 1 teaspoon of hair conditioner into a damp cotton cloth that you dry with the rest of your clothes. Again, essential oils can add safe and sumptuous fragrance; just add a few drops to the cloth.
But what if you're in a rush and need a boxed brand fast? A few grocery-store brands are considered safe. Country Save, Earthrite, Ecover, Planet Inc., and Seventh Generation detergents are some of the best brands for your health and the environment. All Free Clear, Cheer Free & Gentle, and Tide Free detergents don't contain fragrances, but they do contain other petrochemicals, so they're not ideal choices if you're trying to reduce your environmental impact and exposure to toxins. Dryer-sheet brands like EcoSelect, Method, and Sun & Earth are biodegradable, nontoxic, and come in both unscented and scented varieties.

SIDEBAR: More Laundry Tips for Getting Clean While Staying Green

— You can reduce your water-heating bill by turning your water heater down to 120 F and washing most of your clothes in cold water, saving the use of warm water for only the toughest jobs..
— Energy Star-qualified washers use at least 40 percent less energy than standard washers and roughly half the water (www.energystar.gov). Dryers don't get Energy Star ratings, because all models use about the same amount of energy.
— Run full loads of laundry whenever possible to save water and energy, and adjust the water level to the small load setting if you must wash only a few items.
— Choose "wet cleaning" over highly toxic dry cleaning for finicky fabrics. Wet cleaning uses water and nontoxic, biodegradable detergents to clean wool, silk, linen and rayon.
— Hang your laundry out to dry on a clothesline or drying rack.

MaryJane Butters is an organic lifestyle expert and the editor of MaryJanesFarm magazine. Write to her care of United Feature Syndicate, 200 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10016, or e-mail everydayorganic@maryjanesfarm.org.

Caption: Keep an eye out for an old-fashioned small hand-wash plunger. It’s a handy item to keep under your kitchen sink for washing your delicates.

Caption: Washing soda, which is similar to baking soda, cuts grease and neutralizes odors.

Caption: Once you’ve made a month’s supply of liquid laundry detergent, consider storing it in vintage milk jugs.

Copyright 2008 MaryJane Butters.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic OK, I'm making laundry soap.Is this right?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page