Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Sarah
Philippi West Virginia
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  7:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie!

Suzy, I love poetry, but never read that poem before. Thanks for sharing.

The Valkyrie are from Norse mythology. The story is that the Valkyrie would descend on a battlefield in the aftermath and take the souls of half the fallen - the bravest and most skilled warriors - back to Valhalla, the Norse version of heaven.

I chose the name when my fiance brought home a playstation game called Skyrim, and I needed to name my character, who was a "Nord." (I was pretty skeptical about because I almost never watch TV or play video games, but I gave it a try, and was addicted for like 5 weeks this winter!) but I use the same screen name everywhere that I have to have one, because my memory is bad.

The 922 is because we are getting married on September 22 this year.
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  7:28:24 PM  Show Profile
25 years ago when I was dating my soon to be husband, he was going to school in Texas and I was in New Jersey, we spoke on the phone a lot so my mom put up a chicken potholder next to the telephone and wrote "Spy Chicken" on it...she used to joke that Spy Chicken could monitor our phone conversations and keep my future hubby and I on the straight and narrow...
Go to Top of Page

Valkyrie922
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Sarah
Philippi West Virginia
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  7:43:07 PM  Show Profile
Christine that is a Great Story. What a fun mom!
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  7:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sarah! Spy Chicken hangs in my kitchen now and my daughter (also a Sarah) and her boyfriend are all techno with their texting, etc. but once in a while I toss Spy Chicken into her lap while she's texting just to let her know Spy Chicken is watching!! My mom would have loved your screen name-she was fiercely proud of being Norwegian!
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  02:29:33 AM  Show Profile
Mine is my middle name and last initial. Not original, but always free. lol I don't know anyone else named Leilah. It was my grandmother's middle name too.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Lidiaslala
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Laurie
Andrews SC
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  8:19:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julie and Sarah. Thanks for the welcome. Julie I love genealogy too! I've been researching my family history off and on for about 12-13 years. I love it!
Go to Top of Page

SpyChicken
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Christine
Fond du Lac WI
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  10:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Laurie! Genealogy is addictive isn't it!!?
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2012 :  06:14:36 AM  Show Profile
My favorite character in Lord of the Rings trilogy was eowyn but that was already taken but ot started me thinking of alternatives. My brothers nickname for me when groing up was wease. I asked him why once and he said because when i was a teen i was tall and skinny kind of how a weasel looks. (Not sure if I like being compared to a weasel) Anyway, I wanted something that came close to eowyn so came up with eros the god if love. Therefore my name translates to "love wease". By the way I call my brother buckwheat.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  10:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I would love to hear more....

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  11:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.

Edited by - ClaireSky on Nov 28 2012 11:36:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Little Sparrow
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Shellee
Thornville Ohio
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  12:25:24 PM  Show Profile
A wonderful Cherokee Grandmother named me Little Sparrow.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today. Cherokee Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  12:33:13 PM  Show Profile
My dad's nickname for my mom is Red because she used to have flaming red hair. I take after her in many ways and she has taught me so much that I call myself littleredd on here and on Ravelry.

"Come to the cliff, " He said. "We are afraid," they said. "Come to the cliff," He said. They came. He pushed them. And they flew.

The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/Fearlessfarmgrl
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2013 :  10:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Love cats and sunshine. :)

STYX the Band rocks!
Have you hugged your cat today?
Go to Top of Page

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2013 :  04:03:55 AM  Show Profile
I love all these names and how they came to be. Mine simply is Hodge(last name) Lodge. All my husbands people put signs up that say Hodge Lodge. Even a camping sign sign from the 70s has the name on it.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Hodge-Lodge-Clothesline/285366378259342

Go to Top of Page

MtnGrlByTheBay
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Erin
Lexington Park MD
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  05:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Ok I'll play. I really wanted to just use MtnGrl, but in many forums, that's often taken. I'm from the mountains of North Central PA. Our "mountains" aren't really like real MOUNTAINS, there more like hills. However, my hometown has the PA Grand Canyon, so it works. NOW... I live in Maryland. I'm on the western shore about as far south as you can go. On one side of the Peninusula is the Potomac. ON the other side is the Chesapeake Bay. So I just added the "ByTheBay" part so it'd work.

Really, I'd rather use "RidgeRunner" because that's what I am. There's a book called, "Flatlanders and Ridgerunners" and many of the folk tales are from my neck of the woods. I just use MtnGrlBytheBay on several forums, and it's kind of too late to change it.... I think...

^^^I'm a RidgeRunner, and will always feel best when surrounded by the PA mountains.^^^

www.lastlapgang.com
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  09:13:16 AM  Show Profile

This is an old topic...hopefully we can bring it back to life:):):)I am "wildflower 17" because I love wildflowers and my all time favorite song was "Wildflower" by a group out of Canada called "Skylark"...the 17 is my birthday...so there you have it "wildflower 17"...so fun to read all the posts!!!

Hugs!

Judy

PLANT SEEDS OF KINDNESS EVERYWHERE YOU GO!!!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  6:29:34 PM  Show Profile
I wondered how many have arrived at a screen name, and I wondered how do you find out if the name you are thinking of is already taken? I have thought about a screen name because of a nick name my husband often refers to me by, because of the canning and foraging I do,
Thank you for any input

Danyel
farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  05:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Very interesting thread. I like it.

I chose YellowRose for several reasons. First I do love yellow roses. Have a climbing one on arch over fence gate.

2nd. I named my craft/herb little house Yellow Rose Cottage. It had been a woodworking shop next to my deck so it's real handy for crafting.

3rd. The obvious one is the song Yellow Rose of Texas... it tells you what I like and where I am from.

4th. I collect old & new pictures of yellow roses. Since I downsized to a little house they now hang in the cottage.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  05:58:25 AM  Show Profile
Sara - what a unique thing to collect!

My screen name is from a Bjork song. The line says "what's so scary? Not a threat in sight." I picked it for my email when I was in high school and I usually just stick with it out of habit. I often wish I had used something else though because it's kind of long. It barely fits if I fill out my email on forms sometimes.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

May my heart be kind, my mind fierce and my spirit brave. - Kate
Forsyth

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  06:47:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm a shepherdess to a flock of sheep and I live in Kentucky ... obvious right ...

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  06:56:48 AM  Show Profile
Teri, I would like to here more about your experiences as a shepherdess. I will look for your stories.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  07:34:09 AM  Show Profile
What a fun discussion... Mine you have to break up.... It is our last name, pluralized... so Hudsons... in AF..... Air Force :) I use to change my name by the state we lived in, for example hudsonsinsc, but got tired of changing it, lol, so we decided to stick with af :)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Dapple Grey Lady came about because I like dapple grey horses. Always loved the way they look. Hubby got me one when I turned 50. Still have her although she does not have the dapples like she did when she was young.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6802 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6802 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2014 :  12:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Betty, so glad to know how you came up with your name. Must confess I had wonder about it.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

Country Yankee Gal
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Rosemarie
Charleston area South Carolina
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2014 :  2:58:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm a Yankee girl from Rhode Island, living in South Carolina. Everyone jokes me about still being a Yankee though I've been living down South for years. (You can take the girl out of the North, but you can't take the North out of the girl!) Well, I tell everyone that I'm country - which is not necessarily the same as Southern. (Hey, we have farmers and country folk in New England, too.) So, I'm a country Yankee gal. Says it all.

Rosemarie, Farmgirl #6055
~ Planting Yankee roots in Southern soil

www.sanctuarygardener.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Screen names Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page