True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  07:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is an awesome story!

Well "Ma" is looking good today! She is going to hang out in the kitchen while I make cookies and then come back to the office.

Doug is excited about the starter! I told him we need to think of a name so he said he would ponder it! He's going to come up with something weird I know it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  2:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ma was fed this morning and needs a new home already. I bought some great glass containers at goodwill so after they get washed we'll see which one holds more!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  3:12:40 PM  Show Profile
I baked 2 loaves this morning in cast iron skillets. The smaller one lead to a taller loaf. Shared one with my co-workers. Sharing starter on Monday...wha-ha-ha...recruiting sourdoughphites...sourdoughfiles? What do you call one-who-loves-sourdough?

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  4:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome Michelle!

We have our first bubbles! I am so excited! I know as the yeasts grow and the population becomes more dense we will have more bubbles! I can't wait to see what she looks like tomorrow!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  9:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Great Michelle! I picked up a 2 quart lodge cast iron Dutch oven today. I got it at bass pro in Branson, MO. It was a little different than then one I saw on the lodge website. I'll be baking on Sunday. Saturday is so unpredictable for us but we are always around on Sundays after church. That is always our day at home.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  10:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well Ma is certainly happy! Here is a picture of her at only day 2!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  05:45:28 AM  Show Profile
She's Beeeee-U-teee-fulllll, Alee!!!
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  06:18:16 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so how do you season new cast iron?
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  07:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Here's my first loaf....I did use Ronna's San Francisco Style French Bread recipe because I don't think "Ma" has collected enough yeast. We have an air purification filtration unit on our central heat/air...and I think it may just take a bit more time for "Ma" to collect a sufficient amount. Otherwise she looks great. She has a slight sour aroma, becomes very active when I feed her.....so I know she's healthy.
Anyway.....I actually liked the kneading process in Ronna's recipe. Kinda like therapy....I was able to vent some frustration on that ball of dough. The bread was...and still is...FABULOUS. I ended up mixing up some olive oil, rosemary, some sun dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, small pinch of kosher salt....and we dipped bread in that for supper. Of course the first slice.....the crusty end piece was slathered in butter while it was still hot and my hubby and I savored it.
It could be a little more sour for my taste......and I think by next Friday it will be.
Thanks Ronna for the great recipe!

Hope I did this right.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  07:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
One thing to consider for you gals in warmer climates- if you can open a window and put your starter covered only by a very light cheese cloth or tea towel, then your starter can capture some of the natural yeasts and bacteria (that help give sourdough it's taste) that are natural in your area. Some site I have read even suggest wafting air with your hand into the sour dough container and then stirring- then wafting again.

Kate- If Texas is warm enough- perhaps your starter would like some "window" time?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  07:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How to Season a Cast Iron Pan:

New Pans

1. Heat the oven to 250o - 300o
2. Coat the pan with lard or bacon grease. Don't use a liquid vegetable oil (but solid vegetable oils are fine) because it will leave a sticky surface and the pan will not be properly seasoned.
3. Put the pan in the oven. In 15 minutes, remove the pan & pour out any excess grease. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 2 hours.

Repeating this process several times is recommended as it will help create a stronger "seasoning" bond.

Also, when you put the pan into service, it is recommended to use it initially for foods high in fat, such as bacon or foods cooked with fat, because the grease from these foods will help strengthen the seasoning.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  07:54:22 AM  Show Profile
Ha......Texas is warm one day and freezing the next. This morning when I woke up the temp was 58 degrees here in the Tyler area...and 33 degrees in Dallas, which is 90 miles to the west. Now 2 1/2 hours later it's hovering just above freezing here. The last two days it's been beautiful....mid 70's and I had windows open all day long both days.
I have been using cheese cloth, with the mind set that the weave is a bit looser and will allow more incorporation. She's getting sour...just a little slowly. Another factor that I think is affecting "Ma" is that I keep it on the cool side in the house....
All in all, I'm happy with the results so far....and looking foward to a more sour start by next Friday. Yesterday was my day for "Ma" to fast....and she was very happy to be fed this morning. Just checked her a while ago and she's bubbling like crazy.
Looking forward to next Friday so I can bake another loaf. As I said, next loaf will be no knead.
Talk to all of you later.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  08:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I know I am jumping the gun, but "Ma" looked so healthy and alive today- I just had to put her to work. So she is currently making a batch of white bread from a recipe book I have about sourdough. We'll see if she rises to the task! (pun intended!) I also fixed her a nice slurry of flour and water to rehabilitate the left over starter. Like I said...I know I am jumping the gun- but I really wanted yummy bread today!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  09:26:34 AM  Show Profile
I am on the sourdough bread train too. The first loaf tasted great but after 8 hours of rise and being baked it got feed to the dogs the crust was a great tooth cleaner. The inside was very dense but had a great sour flavor.

So here we go.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  09:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey Julie, I have a quick question. I'm only one person so that pancake recipe is more than I want hanging around (I'll just want to eat it all!) So if I cut the recipe in half, do I go with 1 egg or 2?

Thanks!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:15:09 AM  Show Profile
Well, the Queen is resting quietly and there's my first attempt at sourdough bread rising (I hope) in an enameled cast iron dutch oven in the warm kitchen. Keepin' my fingers crossed!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:25:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm just polishing off a page of 'caring for cast iron' tips for the April/May issue of our magazine. In it, I'll tell you how to bring new life to old cast iron as well as season a brand new pan. In the meantime, here's a short version of how I oil/season a new pan:

Rub a thin, even coating of organic shortening, unsalted animal fat, or edible coconut oil inside and out. Good quality salt-free lard works well and can be purchased in most grocery stores. (Oils high in saturated fats are less likely to become rancid. Although bacon grease isn't all that great because it's so "dirty" and can turn rancid easy.)

Once it's oiled, place the pan upside down (this will keep the oil from pooling up) on the top shelf of your oven with a foil-covered baking sheet on the bottom shelf to catch any drips. Bake for one hour at 350 degrees, then turn the oven off and leave the pan inside until it's cool. When you pull it out, the surface will shine.

For the next seven times you use it, treat your cast iron to fatty foods that deepen the seasoning and enhance its nonstick surface.

More details soon!!!!

P.S. We had more involved directions on page 66 of our She's a Keeper MJF magazine issue, Summer 2008.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Mary I would suggest 1 egg rather than two. If you use two you will get a denser rather than fluffy pancake.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  1:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Ronna on the second rise do you cover with damp towel too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  2:19:03 PM  Show Profile
Gramadinah...
I made Ronna's sourdough recipe yesterday....and on the second rise I just covered it with a dry light cotton dish towel and it did great.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter

Today is my best day!

Edited by - Quintessential Kate on Jan 24 2009 2:19:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  2:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Yikes! THere's 15 pages in this topic! Forgive me for not reading through all of them, hope this hasn't already been mentioned.

Does anyone know the secret for keeping homemade bread, sourdough or commercial-yeast, soft for more than a day? My husband and I enjoy homemade bread but we can't seem to use it up fast enough to keep it from getting hard and crunchy. Putting it in a plastic bag may slow it down for a day or so, but sometimes leads to mold, where at least if it dries out I can crush it and use it for bread crumbs.

But I'd rather use it in sandwiches!!!!!! Help!!!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  3:02:37 PM  Show Profile
I am going to get started in the morning! I am so exited about finally finding the King Arthur organic flout at our fancy organic store in Chatt. But it was almost $9.00! Good grief! I hope to gradually add my whole wheat berries soon.

So can I use my crock insert of the slow cooker to rise the dough in? Someone has probably asked this but there are so many pages I'll be here for days reading them all, so thought I'd ask again. I read somewhere that they put it in the oven to heat it up then wrapped the bowl in a towel with the dough in it.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  3:12:47 PM  Show Profile
Kristin. I am using one right now.. Seems to be working fine it is a ceramic lined crock...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  3:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well my "hasty bread" as I am calling it since I used 3 day old starter rose slowly over 4 hours and is now done baking. It tastes fabulous and rose quite a bit more than I had realized. I think once the starter is fully mature it will have lots more air bubbles in the bread but I am VERY pleased with it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Jan 24 2009 4:39:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  4:48:38 PM  Show Profile
Brenda - allow your bread to cool completely and try storing it in an airtight container. It will be best eaten in the first 24 hours though.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: