CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  07:25:36 AM  Show Profile
Janie it looks wonderful! Keep us posted on your progress. I worked on this a year or so ago with the same results. Went out of town, moved, etc etc and just quit trying. I was thinking about trying again. Maybe someone will rise up, pardon the pun, and give us some wisdom on how to get it to be less dense.
Looking at the pictures I can almost smell it!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  10:16:31 AM  Show Profile
Yes! There is LIFE in the FarmKitchen Bread forum!!! Hello Connie : ) Thank you for posting, I was wondering if I chased everyone away? haha
I know how to make bread...but this way has my interest...nothing but flour and water (and a little honey). I would really like to master it. I've been reading up on sourdough starters and bread recipes...I only found sugar in the starter to be the difference, and then of course most use yeast and/or gluten which I'm trying not to do.
Start up another Mother and let's try to master this bread thing together!!

Janie

"The country way of life is the closest thing to heaven"
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  9:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Janie, you're bread is making me drool on the keyboard! They look great! As for the honey....I have no idea, wish I could help!

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  9:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Janie, I plan on starting another "Hoochie", that's what I named my mother, in a month or so. Will let ya know when I do :)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *

Also, to have text & pics together, just type what you want in the box at the bottom (quick reply) and wherever you want a pic, click on the little icon in the top left of the box and continue to add text, more pics, etc.

Edited by - pinkwitchy~farmgirl on Mar 31 2011 9:18:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  9:20:39 PM  Show Profile
Sigh.... Here I go again. I'll go for it. I'm in a well over 100 year old house right now so there should be some good yeasties around here. :)
Janie- What kind of flour are you using? I still have MJF sourdough flour in the freezer. Otherwise I use King Arthur. I'll start mine Monday. Going camping this weekend. Good luck with yours and keep me posted please.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  02:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Beverly,
Thank you : ) haha your cute, drooling...you must have been hungry. These loaves were so dense and heavy with moisture...I've been toasting it to dry it out.
Question: Many other sourdough recipes only use 1 cup of starter as opposed to the 2 we are using per loaf...thoughts??

~Janie~
www.kitchenweekendwarrior.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  02:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Hey Connie : )
Yes you should be able to catch some great yeasties! I've been reading up on this and I found a couple recipes for starter where you give it yeast, just in the first creation, to get it started. Thoughts??? I'm using King Arthur too, all natural but not organic. Finances. Nothing turned black on me, it's been fine so far that way.
Have fun camping (sounds a bit cold though?), love to camp!! I may start a new Mother on Monday with you...mine has a vinegar smell now...funky, not sure about it right now, but learning, I won't discard it.
Keep posting your progress, I look forward to reading...

~Janie~
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  09:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Not sure if anyone caught this a few pages ago, but I started using Bob's Red Mill Organic flour, since it was much less expensive than the King Arthur Organic. It has been wonderful! Have been using for about a month or so and "mom" is very happy - at least as happy as before. I am still having wonderful success with my combo method of MJ and Healthy in Five. Yes, there is yeast and vital wheat gluten involved. But we are enjoying fantastic bread all the time.
Nice to see so much determination from so many, for something as "simple" as good, homemade bread.
Have a fantastic, amazing day!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  05:32:34 AM  Show Profile
Hello All,

Started a bit of a different starter Monday and it's ready for baking today, wish me luck. This one stores in the fridge after refeeding it too, may be better...may find this way is the best, but I'm determined to keep trying till I succeed at sourdough. If this one isn't what I want I'll come back to MaryJane's and start with white flour etc again...was trying to do it all Whole Wheat and may not be possible, or, may use my old starter in the fridge and add gluten, which acts like yeast as I understand it. We shall find out...
IS ANYONE OUT THERE STILL BAKING???

~Janie~
www.etsy.com/shop/redzingerfan
Go to Top of Page

SweetTsEarthlyDelights
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Tina
Old Town Florida
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  2:52:00 PM  Show Profile
OK girls I am wayyyyy to lazy to read through the 126 pages of recipies and chat. Even though you girls make me laugh. But I cant spend all day here on MJ. LOL So here is my question. We LOVE wheat breads. I use king Arthur flour. Does anyone have any healthly recipies for a cruchy crusty bread. Or a good bannana bread.
Thank You :)
T

http://tinasartisticramblings.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyTee?ref=pr_shop
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  7:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Hello girls, it's been a while since writing...my Mother got black "hooch" on it while in the fridge and she got thrown out...the new starter with just regular flour, distilled water, honey and yeast is fantastic and working well, I am so happy to report! Still experimenting and going with the King Arthur White Whole Wheat All Natural now...and using some Vital Gluten in my recipe.

Yeast in the initial mix of starter seemed to be the ideal so far...then you don't have to use it again. It's like you grow yeast from that point on. The Gluten helps the texture and rising too.

Anyone baking??

~Janie~
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  08:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok ladies, I'm with Tina, far too many pages to read them all, so I will jump in here. I have a starter that calls for yeast at the start, but no flour, is kept in the fridge after the
First feeding, and I have never seen any black. Normal routine is to bake a loaf of Sourdough every other morning, but I was out of town before Christmas, then we were so insanely busy during the holidays I didn't make any bread for over a month, but the untouched starter was fine when I got to making bread again.
The recipe I switched to for the bread itself last year only calls for one cup of starter, and I started adding a cup of the buttermilk I get from makin butter on Monday, and its wonderful!
My girlfriend's father used to have a bakery. She suggested I glaze the bread for a shiny crispier crust, and gave me the simplest recipe for a glaze, using corn starch and water. Does anyone else glaze? The difference is incredible!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  04:28:45 AM  Show Profile
Annette,

I never heard of a starter with no flour, interesting. I've had much greater success with the starter I'm using now which is water, flour, yeast and honey...sat out for 5 days then keep in the fridge. One cup is used in a recipe for 2 loaves. Just used it and replenished it, and let it sit out for 2 days, back to the fridge until used again. This one is going well!

Would love to have your recipe to try if you'd like to share! I'm looking also for a great Italian bread recipe, for my dh who loves Italian, and not the whole wheat thing quite so much.

Hope to hear from you,

~Janie~
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  9:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Janie,
Of course I'll share! Exchanging recipes is half the fun:)
The starter is
1 cup warm water
1&1/2 tsp yeast
3T sugar
3T instant potatoes(I know, I never bought them either, until I started making potatoes dinner rolls--- so Yummy)
Allow starter to sour on counter for 5 days. The morning of day 5, feed the starter and in the evening its ready to use. To feed, simply add 1 cup water, 3T sugar, and 3T instant potatoes.
Pour off what you need, (double recipe if you need two cups.) And store remainder in fridge.
When you are ready to make more bread, just feed starter, pour off what's needed, and refridgerate remainder, I always let the amount I'm going to use that morning come to room temp before I start my dough.
The friend who gave me this recipe said I needed to stir everyday, with wooden spoon. I'm really faithful about this when its on the counter, but when its in the fridge, I forget, and so far its been forgiving.

I hope I explained this clearly! Sometimes I speak/type as clear as mud! I have a really Yummy recipe for Italian bread from my Italian grandmother-in-law(no longer with us), somewhere. I'll look for it for you. The above mentioned potato tools are very good, if you'd like that?

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge

Edited by - Heartbroken farmgirl on May 01 2011 9:38:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  9:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message

Janie, boy that was easy. I found it in no time!

Italian bread¦>}
3 cups Flour
1 pack Dry Active Yeast
1 tsp. Salt
1/8 cup Cornmeal
Dry ingredients in bowl, make well in center place yeast in center. Pour 1 cup lukewarm over yeast. Once yeast starts to bubble, mix until incorporated. Knead 10 min. Let rise until doubled in size. Line bread pan in corn meal, punch down bread, and reshape into loaf. Allow to rise about an hour in bread pan, and then bake at 375 30-40 min. I always haste with a beaten egg before I bake. Hope your DH likes it. Let me know.

Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  6:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Hello Annette,

Haven't been on much lately (new job)...just found your postings sharing recipes! Thank you so much! Sounds interesting and I can't wait to try it!
Made a perfect loaf of bread, finally, yesterday. My honey starter and a recipe from Wild Yeast that I tweaked a bit and we are so happy we finally made a perfect artisan loaf of bread, half whole wheat half white. I have it on my blog if you want to peek. I haven't share the recipe yet...will do that next weekend (if you want it).
Your instructions are wonderful dear : ) I'll let you know how it turns out...sounds amazing!
Farmgirl Hugs!

~Janie~
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  6:50:58 PM  Show Profile
PS Annette,

What about the glaze with water and cornstarch?? Love to know more...

I only ever melt butter over the top, but haven't been doing that lately.

~Janie~
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  07:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Janie, your blog is great! Cute to read! The bread looks wonderful. I'd love to get your bread recipe too. My DH does most of the grocery shopping. The local store charges $6.00 a loaf of bread, not bakery bread, mind you, sliced sandwich bread in the plastic bag!! Everything is triple the price. So, because he commutes for work, he stops at more reasonable stores. I tell you this because he has outright refused to pick me up wheat flour. Lol. He has had bad experiences with grandmas wheat bread....
This weekend, after church, I'm going shopping!! I'd love your recipe.

The glaze! Can't believe the difference!! It's 1/3 cup water and 1tsp cornstarch. Bring mixture to a boil, WHISKING CONSTANTLY(I mean don't stop to sneeze) lol. Make this the last 8 minutes your bread is baking. It starts out looking like reconstituted powered milk. It's ready when its thick, like kindergarten paste, and translucent. Base it on your bread the last 5 and then 3 minutes its baking. All the difference in the world in appearance, and crunch!!

Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  04:06:23 AM  Show Profile
Hello Annette,

Thank you for the recipe and tip, I'll try it this weekend when I bake. Very interesting! I happen to favor the King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour and also their Bread Flour, using them half and half in your recipe. I'm perfecting my recipe which is on my website...please let me know how your baking is going and share how your improving as you go? I'd love to hear from you! Thank you for being my first follower : ) I wondered if anyone was reading, but it didn't matter b/c I love to just write and journal anyway. But I was so excited to see you joined to follow, thanks again.
Farmgirl Hugs,

~Janie~
Go to Top of Page

PlantPrincess
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Morgan
loomis California
USA
10 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  06:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Send PlantPrincess a Yahoo! Message
This bread recipe is the best! I've tried another recipe that was way more time consuming and it ended up not even turning out. This recipe saves time, money and actually cranks out the best loaf ever!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  9:56:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! I must give it a try! Thanks Carol, now off to get the recipe.... :)

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee
Sister #44

My Blog: http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

My Etsy Shops:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sassysadielee
http://www.etsy.com/shop/beehivecottage
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Morgan, I pass Loomis evey other Friday and Sunday, to go to New Castle and visit my ex-in-laws. Now I will think of you each time I pass. Sounds like your bread makin is going well, I'm thrilled for you! Nothing tastes or smells better than homemade bread!
Janie, I'm glad you are enjoying Blogging. I really like your blog. It's fun to read. My blog is a healthy release and outlet for me, so I understand what you mean about it not mattering if anyone reads it. I occasionally check my stats for curiosity sake, and average 100+ hits a day even from places like Russia and the Philippines..lol. I only have 7 public followers, and two "commenters", so you can't base your readers on that.
I love to bake, and I am finally getting internet at the new house. All these posts, and my blog for the last year, have been dine VIA phone! I will be adding a baking section to my blog, starting Thursday, when the WiFi is up and running! Bread is going up first, with all the great successes, changes, and flops alike.
Let me know if you like the glaze, k? I love the gloss and crunch it adds!

Edited by - Heartbroken farmgirl on May 24 2011 3:38:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

7 apples
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Ronee
Hazelwood IN
USA
54 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  06:48:05 AM  Show Profile
Where can I find a good sourdough starter (mother)??

~barefoot farmgirl Ronee,wife to one amazing apple and mommy to 5 baby apple's..
God, family and my garden are all I need in life <3
Farmgirl Sister #3103
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=538005128
Go to Top of Page

kathleenshoop
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

kathleen
oakmont pa
USA
102 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  5:23:55 PM  Show Profile
What a great recipe! I'm not what you'd call a good cook but I like to bake! Thanks so much!

Author, The Last Letter, The novel for every daughter who thinks she knows her mother's story...
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  06:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok, we all live a good, warm, fluffy yeasty dinner roll. I want to share my absolute favorite recipe. Warning, lots of butter, lots of fluffy, lots of Yummy, and if by chance you have left over rolls, re-heat and serve with your jams and bellies in the morning....

1 cup whole milk
2 pkg. dry yeast
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 to 1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
more melted butter

Allow to rise until doubled in size.

Roll out and cut in three" circles. Brush with butter, and fold in half, pitching edges to seal.

Bake at 350 20-25 min. Place in preheated oven.

Remove from pan immediately, and brush with more butter.

Enjoy!!!

Edited by - Heartbroken farmgirl on May 26 2011 11:56:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page