pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  10:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Patty! Looks beautiful & YUMMY!!!

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  05:35:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Beverly! 3rd time was a charm!

~`~`~`~`~`
A little Red, attempting to be The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Stimalano
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  11:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Patty, looks delicious!!! Congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  12:46:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kim! :-)

~`~`~`~`~`
A little Red, attempting to be The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Stimalano
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  10:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I got my King Arthur Flour and am up @ 1:30 too exited to sleep thinking about starting the Mother tomorrow I think..haha.
Read through pages 13 and skipped to this last page. I'll have to read this in parts till I get through all 124 pages, but great info girls, I love it! I'm home and job hunting for now, figure least I can do is bake homemade bread right? I'll post again soon and get in on the conversation re: sourdough starter and baking twice a week, sounds great!

"The country way of life is the closest thing to heaven"
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  8:30:38 PM  Show Profile
You all have me excited - I am starting Mother tomorrow!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  8:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Janie & Elaine.... Good Luck to both of you! It's FUN and will provide you with lots of yummy stuff! (not just bread)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  1:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Those pictures look fantastic!
I am still having great success with my combination of MJ sourdough and Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. No kneading required, in fact, they both seem to discourage it. And I recently read another article that actually discouraged kneading, as well. Go figure. What works for some does not always work for all. So we all must play with all the different factors that go into baking a wonderful loaf of bread, and use the "rules" that work best for us.
I am so glad I never gave up and now finally have two great loaves of sour dough bread a week.
Have a super day, all!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  7:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Well, update, it's end of day two and the Mother is looking fantastic so far, fine bubbles...looks happy (yes I'm insane lol). I'm so excited and hoping I have great success with this method! My sweetheart is looking forward to grilled cheese on homemade sourdough (he IS the grilled cheese KING, being known to eat 8 of them at once. The more natural methods the better I think. Been trying to incorporate that thinking into what we eat overall, whole simple foods are best. Thanks Beverly for the encouragement, Good Luck to Elaine to...keeping eachother posted on here and sharing ideas etc. is sooo much fun : )

Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  07:35:31 AM  Show Profile
Thursday, early day four, starter is doing very well! More bubbles every day! Here is my dilemma...don't hate me for saying this...but...
Organic flour is outrageously priced right now...how about the all natural King Arthur? And...I love WWT but my hubby only will eat white...so, yesterday at the store I bought King Arthur WHITE whole wheat flour...think I can trick him?? hehe

Thanks for the advice in advance girls!
Janie

Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  06:33:24 AM  Show Profile
LOL Janie! I have the same situation with my DH who thinks he hates whole wheat but has been eating it for months in the sourdough! I bought the same type KA white whole wheat...it's all in their heads!

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  08:28:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow Janie.....sounds like it's going GREAT! Good for you! Those grilled cheese sammies sound absolutely wonderful! LOL @ the KA white ww!....good luck, hope ya pull it off :)

Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  8:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey Amy and Beverly~Thank you for your replies, I look forward to hearing from other farmgirls : )
Awesome Amy~your my mentor...give em' white whole wheat and don't say a word, they won't know the diff...haha...I love it! I'll let you know how it turns out for us here...he's pretty up on my sneaking healthy things in on him these days...wish me luck!
Questions Amy~so it really turns out light, white bread like?? Hoping so...
Beverly~Yes I'm so excited tonight my Mother is getting almost foamy on top and bubbling like crazy, no hooch liquid on top yet...I'm hopeful this will go well, thanks to all of you and your farmgirl help! I enjoy making a cup of tea and sitting down to read these chat boards...so interesting and so many nice women here, I feel at home : )

Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  1:50:03 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I know that this post for the no-knead bread was a WHILE ago, but it is neat! I just looked at the recipe and am hoping to make some of my own this week. Does any one know if I can get along in the recipe without a thermometer?

Thanks~ Breanna

Farmgirl Bre
"...that my glory may sing praise to you and not be silent, O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  2:09:20 PM  Show Profile
Tomorrow is my last day feeding "mother' - will keep you all posted!

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  03:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Ok I couldn't wait any longer! I got a loaf ready to bake last night, let it rise overnight and baked it this morning. Did a free form loaf. It didn't rise at all really, but spread out alot. I know it's harder to do whole wheat, so I think it probably due to Mother not being strong enough yet, it's been a week and a half now, I'll wait another week and try it again. Haven't tasted it yet, looks and smells great, just no rise, must be too heavy for the new starter?

Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  12:19:32 PM  Show Profile
You have all inspired me to get my start out of the fridge and get going with soudough again. My husband loves pizza with a sourdough crust.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  12:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Ok baked today. The top crust was realy crusty but sort of separated from the middle part. Still tasted good - just looked funky!

farmgirl sister #2822

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  05:31:08 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried adding beer instead of water to give it a boost from the yeast in the beer maybe???

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  05:53:29 AM  Show Profile
Janie - that sounds like a good idea - I am going to try it!

farmgirl sister #2822

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  8:13:43 PM  Show Profile
Janie, mine did the same...looked & smelled great, didn't eat....better suited for use as a door stop! :)

Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  05:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey Elaine, let me know how it goes, I have another week to wait to make bread again : ) I think it may work!
Hey Beverly, we are eating ours, but I am sharing with the two dogs as well, haha...it has good flavor but it's only about an inch high.
Another question to all...I have looked at other recipes for sourdough starters and they all have some type of sugar or honey initially...I added a teaspoon of raw honey to my Mother yesterday and it's a whole new ballgame now...she puffed up and has many more bubbles and smells not so sour and more like bread...I hope this was a good thing...we shall see, thoughts anyone???

Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  08:18:56 AM  Show Profile
Hoping for feedback re: the addition of honey to the Mother...she seems to be very happy, lots of bubbles, some foam, no hooch on top and smells great...so far so good! Nearing my second week that I can bake again...hopeing for a better rise this time!

Anyone??

Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  07:12:10 AM  Show Profile
Where is everyone??? Baked the second batch this morning (2 loaves). Rose higher than the last time but still very very dense and heavy and lots of moisture! Wondering if I should try ww pastry flour and it would be lighter??? Longer bake time needed due to the moisture content. Telling my self I'm not going to give up...I'll keep trying...I just don't want to add gluten or yeast, I want to do it this old fashion simple way. I even used beer instead of water thinking it would give some help with the yeast content.
Is anyone still feeding Mother and baking??????

Janie

Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  07:14:24 AM  Show Profile

I haven't figured out how to put pics with the text yet...so these are my two loaves I baked this morning, goes with my above post...Janie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page