Page: of 80

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  8:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

DiAnn - I wish I had better news but grey and brown colors are rarely a good thing when it comes to dough. If it were me I would toss it. "If it's grey through it away". Mold can be grey, blue, red, green, black brown or orange. Pretty much every color of the rainbow.

I did use some frozen dough recently and did not see any greyish color.

If anyone else has experienced this and wants to chime in please feel free!

When I froze starter and when I stored starter in the fridge for several weeks without touching it...yes it did take on a greyish color and also had a good layer of hooch on the top.

When I went to revive both batches, first thing I did was dump the hooch. Next, I actually dumped at least half the starter in the compost before beginning to feed again. It sprung back to life with no troubles or odd colors after that.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  8:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Oh, BTW...I'm back! Have missed you all so much, and am so pleased to see more new members! Things got very hectic and my sourdough starter took a long nap in the fridge. Things are still far too busy, but I wanted my starter to be fully developed again before the cool weather comes. Woke it up last week and it is better than ever! I baked my first new loaf tonight and remembered again why I love this so much.

With the heat and humidity (and the little no-see-um bugs) I am still using a large canning jar to keep my starter in rather than my lovely stoneware bowls. It is deeper with less surface area, so less trouble with anything getting to it or it getting a skin over the top of it.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  9:51:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey lisa! Welcome back and thanks for the update on the color after freezing. That is valuable information and I appreciate you remembering it! I am finally back into using my starter regularly after it took a rest far part of May, part of June and part of July while we traveled and went on vacation.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile
The "Bee" issue was the first Mary Jane magazine I read! This bread has been a staple ever since. It is the best. All my friends request a loaf from me at any time we have a "covered dish" meal. I am a brand new member of the farmgirl sisterhood. Although I have been practicing being a farmgirl for 61 years. Wow that sounds old!!! but inside I am still the skinny legged little girl on my Grandma's farm. My bread is now better though!!
N@n farmgirl number 696

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  1:40:25 PM  Show Profile
welcome Nan, You sound young to me! Love, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  6:25:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey N@n! So glad you have joined us! If you have any bread wisdom or questions feel free to share with us!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  3:40:16 PM  Show Profile
yippee! found Kind Arthur flour at Vons here in Southern California. tried the coop, no organic flour? so strange. at anyrate, it's Sunday time to start my mother!

btw, does anyone think of the mother __ cursing when they say 'mother'? I think I'm gunna call mine mama cash. cause mama reminds me of the mamas and the papas, and maybe i'll save money makin my own yummy bread... who knows! so, mama cash is starting up, right, NOW!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  5:06:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HeatherAnn

btw, does anyone think of the mother __ cursing when they say 'mother'? I think I'm gunna call mine mama cash. cause mama reminds me of the mamas and the papas, and maybe i'll save money makin my own yummy bread... who knows! so, mama cash is starting up, right, NOW!

I hope you enjoy your mother as much as I do - I LOVE it! I call mine mother as my mom is called mom, so everyone in the family is now used to me talking about mother constantly.

I am now getting GREAT bread, I do one sourdough loaf and one honey oat wheat loaf each week. the HOW is mostly used for sandwiches and morning toast, the SD for dinner and snacks and such... they both are GREAT breads and my hubby loves them both as do I.

For the first 4-5 weeks I didn't get any good bread, I just focused on the muffins and pizza crust - and those turned out so great that i didn't hesitate to stay patient for great things to come. I have also made breadsticks using the pizza crust recipe, and look forward to trying some other things.

I am up to "blessing" my mother daily with 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup water... this makes enough that I can do 3-4 recipes a week from her. I had to ramp it up this much as one week not too long ago I depleted my mother to so little I was afraid she would have a hard time... but she recovered greatly without any problems. I guess once you get all the good bacteria in there it can multiply pretty effortlessly.

One hint, make sure you also wet your towel with the SAME water you feed your mother with. Some people have to use distilled or special water to feed their mother since their tap would kill it, but then I wonder if they make a mistake and use the tap water to moisten the towel to cover the mother - if your tap water isn't good enough to feed your mother then it should be used to cover her either.

Ge patient - it may take 4-6 weeks to get that great bread. But it is worth the wait!

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice as much once a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  6:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Cindy thanks for bringing up that point about the towel again. We touched on that MANY pages ago!!!! Definitly worth being said again! I made zucchini bread the other day. Just gotta type my recipe and then I will add it. It was a delicious way to make use of the last of the zucchini.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  6:51:10 PM  Show Profile
is there a way to maybe just have one thread strictly devoted to recipes using the mother? I would appreciate that, maybe other gals would too. that way we can just scroll through recipes and not over 100 pages of comments with just a few recipes. Thanks! Even if the answer is 'no' it was worth asking!

happy baking!

ps. I just thought of something, I'm a yeast farmer! I'm growing yeast! score! I'm excited, you really CAN be a farmer in an apartment...

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  7:38:00 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of a thread devoted to recipes only. Would make it easy if you only check in once in a while to see what's cooking!

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  07:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi guys! Unfortunatly experience tells me that if we made a "recipe thread" people whould make comments and such and we would then end up with 2 - 100 page postings that we would have to search through to find recipes in. Although it seems like a new thread would make it easier it really wouldn't. I was posting an updated index of recipes about every 5 pages or so but then summer happened and things got in the way and I forgot!

HERE is the new index. I will try to keep this posted every 5 pages (I will post again on 105, 110, 115 etc).

Please note that MaryJanes Method DOES NOT call for the addition of yeast. Her concept is meant to be a pure bread using only NATURALLY developed yeasts. Several recipes in this list do include the addition of commercial yeasts. We appreciate our readers who have submitted these recipes and encourage you to try them if you like however, if you wish to follow the "MaryJane Way" you will want to allow your starter to develop its natural yeasts (which can sometimes take several weeks) and avoid adding commercial yeasts to your breads. If you are having difficulty getting a good rise, allow your starter to mature for several weeks. It has also been suggested than any salt be mixed thuroughly with the flour to be added rather than being added directly to the stater! Good luck and ENJOY!

Mary Jane’s Bread Article pg. 1

Baked French Toast with Apples and Nuts pg. 12

Pancakes pg. 13

San Francisco Style Bread (Ronna) pg. 13

Old Fashioned Biscuits (celticheart) pg. 17

Pancakes (celticheart) pg. 17

Croutons pg. 18

Waffles pg. 19

Buttermilk Biscuits pg. 27

Whole Wheat Biscuits pg. 27

Basic Biscuits pg. 27

Pizza Crust pg. 32

Bagels pg. 43

English Muffins (Ronna) pg. 45

Carrot Cake pg. 47

Bread Machine White Bread w/ added yeast pg. 49

Pecan/Date Bread pg. 51

Dog Treats pg. 53

Banana Cake (pearlgirl) pg. 54

Honey Wheat Oatmeal Bread (parisknight) pg. 62

Croissant pg. 63

Mary Jane’s Flour pg. 63

Pumpernickel Bread pg. 65

Chocolate Chip Cookies (GailMN) pg. 66

Cake-Like Brownies pg. 67

Sideways Sourdough Fruit Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Sourdough Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Drying Starter (Ronna) pg. 67

Sourdough Bran Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Sourdough Applesauce Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Chiffon Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Spice Cookies with Maple Frosting (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Oatmeal Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Black Bean and Chipotle Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Seven Grain Cereal Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Oatmeal Coconut Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Sugar Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough pretzel recipe (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Increasing Starter for more baking pg. 72

Too sour starter discussion/tips pg. 72

Oatmeal Quick Bread pg. 74

Sourdough Blueberry Muffins pg. 76

Blueberry Sourdough Breakfast Bread pg. 76

Chocolate Bread pg. 76

Sourdough Rolled Chocolate Cookies pg. 76

Shelburne Chocolate Waffles pg. 76

Sourdough Hot Cross Buns pg. 77

Tomato Basil Garlic Farmhouse White pg. 77

Adding Starter to recipes (Ronna) pg. 77

Starter Safety (Ronna) pg. 77

Freezing Starter (Mary Jane) pg. 78

Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies (GailMN) pg. 78

Rocky Mountain Corn Bread pg. 78

Dakota Prairie Muffins pg. 78

Doctor’s Sourdough Bread pg. 78

Sourdough Applesauce Donuts pg. 78

Converting Recipes & Reactivate Starter (Mary Jane) pg. 78

Adding sourdough to non-bread recipes (Willowcreek Julie) pg. 78

Sourdough Pasta pg. 79

Banana Nut Quickbread pg. 81

Pumpkin Apple Butter pg. 81 (Not sourdough but good ON sourdough!)

Blueberry Muffins pg. 83

Banana Bread (LauraBell) pg. 85

Zucchini Bread (candela59) pg. 85

Butterscotch Brownies pg. 86

Gramadinah’s Bread pg. 89

Dried Cherry – Pecan pg. 91

Lemon-Lavender (or Orange) pg. 91

Lemon – Rosemary pg. 91

MultiGrain and Seed pg. 91

Nut pg. 91

Raisin – Rosemary pg. 91

Olive – Rosemary pg. 91

Potato – Rye pg. 91

Sourdough Pretzles (Mary Jane and Julie) pg. 93

Molasses Bars pg. 94

SourJack Pancakes pg. 95

Georgiaberry’s Bread pg. 96

Peach Blueberry Cobbler pg. 98

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Aug 28 2009 08:11:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  3:55:49 PM  Show Profile
wow! there are so many! I'm really excited now. I truly had no idea there were so many using this starter!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  04:47:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow is right. With summer and all the extra outside chores, I haven't followed along as close as I had in the past. Looks like I have to get another starter going again. Have so missed having the bread to eat, ever since my graying issues and had to toss her.(That was really hard, to scape the bowl out and dump her in the field) Now that fall is on the way I'll surely want to be baking more and need mother in tip top share when ready so better get her going again.
This time I will for sure take some for a back up and keep in the freezer. Actually how long will a sample keep in there. Or is it best to rotate the sample around every now and again?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  05:55:03 AM  Show Profile
DiAnn - The longest I stored mine in the freezer was only a few weeks so I'm not sure how long she would last in there but like everything else I imagine she would start to get "freexer burned" after a long period of time.

The amount you need to freeze isnt that much. I did about a 1/2 cup full. I wouldnt recommend "rotating" it because the starter you are still using will have gained a lot of ground and developed more flavor while the reserve is sitting in the freezer. I would suggest after a month or so (I bet you could easily go several months) that you freeze a new sample from your current starter and either discard the old one or pass it on to a friend to help her(or him) get a head start on their starter.

I have gotten thinking more about bread lately too. I am trying to take a more "french" approach to the lunches I bring to school(I teach!). Lately it has been things like pears or grapes, a small salad, some cheese and a slice of homemade bread.YUM!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  08:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julie and everyone,
Yesterday, I finally got the perfect carrot cake without the lumps. I made it a one bowl, rather than a two bowl recipe. I added everything, in order and mixed well before adding the starter, and then mixed well again, before adding the flour, raisins and nuts. Also, I used the electric mixer the whole time, rather than stirring by hand. We have not eaten it yet, as we are saving it for company tomorrow night. But the batter had no lumps going into the pan, and my daughter said it was delicious as she licked the whippers and spatula.
So I used one cup of starter for the carrot cake and one cup for a half batch of the mocha bread, which we have eaten already and is delicious! My husband called me on the way to work to tell me the slices of mocha bread with cream cheese I sent him with were the perfect breakfast.
Enjoy your day!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  3:50:07 PM  Show Profile
I made the blueberry muffins for my family and they just loved them!! Thought they would complain about the whole wheat taste in them, but not one negative comment. We had a friend over and he smelled them, so we ate them together. Big success! Thank you so much. Next recipe will be the English muffins. Cannot wait.

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  4:17:22 PM  Show Profile
Excellent! We love to here about success!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  2:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julie. I am trying again. I started another mother Friday. It's just sitting there doing nothing. It had dark water on the top yesterday. I poured it off. I have stirred it a few times a day. It smells like paste again. No sour smell at all. I am doing the same thing I did before. I will keep adding more flour and water and see what happens. I just remember the first one I had. It bubbled and smelled sour almost right away. I just don't know what I am doing wrong unless it is the temperature of my house right now. I keep it at 75.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Sep 07 2009 2:01:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  5:03:59 PM  Show Profile
Kris - Not sure what to tell you. They are temperamental things and anything from temperature to humidity to the quality of the water and the quality of the flour in the particular bag are a factor. I'd give it a few days yet. Was the dark water hooch? You might consider giving it two feedings a day. If you arent observing any bubbles perhaps it is consuming the natural food too quickly. Keep me posted and I;ll see if I can do more to help you.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  5:59:52 PM  Show Profile
When I kept fresh fruit and vegetables near my Mother, it bubbled like crazy!! It was amazing to see.

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  2:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That is strange! I wonder why! I'm gonna try it too!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  6:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I know why! Fresh fruits that haven't been washed have lots of natural yeast on them! My apples in the back yard are very dull when I bring them in from the yeast on them, but shine up when I wipe it off. The dusty color on grapes is also caused by yeast! Fruit is attractive to yeast because of it's natural sugars! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  03:29:40 AM  Show Profile
Well...you learn something new every day! Who woulda thought!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  5:04:40 PM  Show Profile
We eat at a restaurant in Vermont that uses the yeast specifically from the grapes to make bread!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page