Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  02:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I've been making bread for 3 wks now and each time it gets better and better. It never lasts long either. I'm embarrassed to say I can eat a half a loaf all by myself...hangs head...LOL. Cinnamon raisin is our favorite so far.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:56:38 AM  Show Profile
Well made sourdough pizza crust last night and was planning to make pizzas on the grill. (its hotter then heck here so keeping the heat outside is a must) But didn't work out so I put it in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap. Had made the pizza dough before but always was able to use when I made it. Planning to use it tonight for supper. Will take out dough a little while before I want to roll it.

Just was wondering if anyone has made dough up and then need to store it till later. Or could it maybe be made up put in the freezer, which would really save time. I know you can buy refrigerator pizza dough, but wasn't sure how the sour dough would work.

Thanks~
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  2:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I have been following this topic and have been doing bread the MJ way since the original article came out. I have had good success with the KA organic flour, and more recently have tried MJ's flour with equally good results.
I had frozen my starter for three weeks, while I was away and then had company. Then took her out, warmed her up and started adding to her the next day (on my regular schedule). Then I baked on Sunday. She had been sort of flat (i.e. not as much action and bubbling as she had prior), but then on Tuesday, I happened to peek in and she was SUPER active and bubbling! She rose so high that she reached the towel. Now this was only the second day after baking, so she is going to run out of room by the end of the week. I am guessing it's because it is suddenly very warm. This morning, I transfered her to a bigger bowl, but it is clear glass and a bowl that I need for other things. My questions: Is glass okay? (I think I read someone said something about clear bowl not being okay.)And just how big a bowl am I gonna need if she's gonna go so crazy? The other bowl I was using was just fine until now.
I have really enjoyed my overall experience with my Sour Dough and reading this topic. This is the first I have ever chimed in.
Thanks for any feedback and Go Farmgirls!
Pamela Joy

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  3:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Diana. I madebagles and posted a recipe. I'm not sure what page it in on atthe moment but I think there is an index on of 65.

DiAnn. I have frozen some pizza dough but have yet to use it! Guess now I have a reason! I'll plan to do that this weekend and get back to you!

Pamela- so glad you are joining us. I have always used ceramic bowls but somehve had success with the clear glass. I would just avoid direct sunlight with it. A regular mixing bowl should suffice. I have seenmine go wild and she hadn't bubbled over yet!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgiaberry Mobley
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Georgiaberry
Fouke AR
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  7:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Freezing pizza dough: I read in Cooks Illustrated that freezing bread dough is the most successful if the dough is allowed the first rise, then punched down and then frozen, as opposed to freezing it right after it is mixed up and kneaded, before the first rise.

Farmgirl Georgiaberry

always busy at SunshineForDinner.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  05:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Okay girls the recipe (with pictures) for the bagles is on page 43 of this thread.

The pizza dough is on page 32. The only thing I am not sure about is the "letting it rise and punching it down" that you suggest Georgiaberry. This particular dough recipe never had a "rise" to begin with. It did have a 30 minute rest but I dont think people should expect it to rise if this is the recipe they are using.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  09:28:32 AM  Show Profile
Peaches and Bluberries are inseason at our farmers market. I made this Peach Bluberry Cobbler and wanted to share the recipe with you guys! Enjoy!

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sourdough starter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups fresh sliced peeled peaches
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar

Heat oven to 350° Melt butter in 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Set aside. In medium bowl, combine starter, flour, 3/4 cup sugar and baking powder and stir until blended. The batter should be fairly thick but still spreadable. You can thin it with a little milk if necessary. Spoon batter over butter in baking dish; do not stir. Combine peaches, blueberries and 1/2 cup sugar; spoon over batter. Do not stir. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes until dough is lightly brown. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Jun 27 2009 09:30:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Daisyfleabane
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Claudia
Howard PA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:36:08 AM  Show Profile
After a couple of months, my starter has changed. It is now a lot thicker and very yeasty smelling, and bread rises better with it. It is definitely a presence in my kitchen! I tried making sourdough waffles and they are very tasty, but don't ask me for the recipe because I used part of a buckwheat waffle mix in my freezer, and then added to it. I don't think I could replicate this batch, but will definitely try making a more regular batch when I've finished these (I freeze them and just put one or two in the toaster for breakfast). Keep trying -- this sourdough is so delicious I just don't want anything else now!

centrally isolated Pennsylvania
Go to Top of Page

MClark
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Michelle
Phoenix, NY
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  3:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Hello - I am new .......I made Mother on Sunday and today I noticed a smell in my kitchen.....not a real pleasant smell....and I realized the smell is coming from Mother! Is this normal? I used organic flour and distilled water. Thanks for your support! :)

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

MMM! Carol thanks for posting that article online for us! Just reading those recipes makes my mouth water!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  5:06:49 PM  Show Profile
My "mother" died today. When I fed her yesterday, she seemed a bit "off" and tonight I went to make pizza on the grill and she had a ring of black around the sides of the bowl. (*sniff, sniff*) It has been awfully warm in our house, so I reckon that's the problem. It's been 75-80 degrees in my house every day, we don't have air conditioning. I'm bummed, but I guess I'll try again in the fall. It's too hot to bake anyhow!
Go to Top of Page

MClark
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Michelle
Phoenix, NY
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  5:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Hello - I am new! I started Mother on Sunday - and today I am noticing a smell in the kitchen....it is coming from Mother :( Is this normal? I asked my husband if he could smell it, and he couldn't........Should I already be smelling it on Day 2? Thanks for your support! Michelle
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  7:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle! Welcome! It will have a slighly sour or alcohol type smell especially in its early days. What type of flour are you using? some flours seem to cause a more "offensive" odor than others.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

MClark
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Michelle
Phoenix, NY
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  4:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply - I am using Bob's Red Mill Organic White Flour. I have also noticed that the liquid has settled on top - is this normal? This is my first experience with a starter and making my own bread - I'm nervous!!!! I appreciate any help you can give!
Michelle

quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Hi Michelle! Welcome! It will have a slighly sour or alcohol type smell especially in its early days. What type of flour are you using? some flours seem to cause a more "offensive" odor than others.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  5:23:29 PM  Show Profile
No problem! We were all new at this once too! The liquid is called Hooch. It is basically an alcohol biproduct created during the fermentation of the starter. It isn't "bad". But is usually indicitive of a hungry starter or a poorer quality flour. Typically the lower the quality the more hooch you will get because the flour doesn't contain the right balance of nutrients to keep your starter well fed. Hooch can add a VERY strong almost bitter sour taste. Some have suggested pouring off the hooch. When I was using the KA and Gold Medal flours I had a lot of hooch. I combated it by increaseing the amount of flour by a tblespoon or so or by feeding twice a day. When using the MaryJane flour I have not had any hooch at all. Hope that clears up some of the confusion.

I havent tried that brand of flour. I would recommend the MAryJanes flour if you can. You can order it here. http://shopping.maryjanesfarm.org/s.nl/it.A/id.1891/.f It is AMAZING stuff! The King Arthur Organic flour was also a good one but not quite as good as the MJ flour. (IMO!)

Like I said, reading back through the pages and pages of this thread will give you a lot of information! Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

MClark
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Michelle
Phoenix, NY
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  7:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks - I am going to try and save her :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  8:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have used Bob's Red Mill flour and it has been great for my starter. They use nice fresh wheat berries as far as I can tell.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  8:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Thank alee. I knew someone had said she was using it!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  3:50:00 PM  Show Profile
I made French bread with my starter yesterday and posted it on my blog. I a baguette pan and throw water in the oven every now and then to get it crusty. What a nice bread it is!! For one loaf, I put coarse salt on top (tastes like a pretzel) and for the other, I put parmesan cheese and garlic on top. The cheese is thinly shredded, not the powdery kind (but that would taste good too!)

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  06:35:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi All! Happy early 4th. First, just want to thank you all for all the posts and helpful hints, it has made my first week of "mothering" make sense, because when anything seemed weird you were there to help me along.

Today I am off work, so I started the day with a batch of the blueberry muffins found here. I had picked up fresh blueberries and blackberries at the farmers market on Tuesday, so was very happy to come upon this recipe.

I doubled the sugar as the recipe said it wasn't very sweet, and used baking splenda for that (1 cup). The muffins turned out GREAT! Hubby even thought so, and he is not a fruit muffin person. What a GREAT way to start a long weekend - the smell of fresh food baking in the house, sitting down with a warm muffin and a cup of coffee. thanks everyone!

Bread the Mary Janes Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice a day to eliminate excess hooch
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  09:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Cindy! Hope you are off to a great start! If you start to have issue with the heat and your stater there are suggestions on the last few pages! Us Southern girls that have heat and humidity have some different issues than those washington and Idaho girls!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  11:42:42 AM  Show Profile
I have a question on bowls.

I just realized all I have are metal mixing bowls and metal baking pans (theres a lot of stainless steel in this house!). And my crockpot pot is a 5 qt wonder, so won't be doing my bread in that huge thing.

So I have been careful to not stir with metal spoons or scoop out with metal.. and wondering if I am making something that doesn't rise can I use the metal mixing bowls just to mix stuff? Like for making muffins and quick breads, will any contact with the metal ruin this stuff?

I am going to get some nonmetal mixing bowls, but ceramic are too heavy for me (that is why we have all the stainless) so I was thinking of getting those plastic colorful nesting mixing bowls that they have around - but is the plastic bad at all? I don't want to do anything to ruin anything that I am making with my mother.

I guess it is time to get my cast iron stuff for cooking out of storage...

Bread the Mary Janes Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice a day to eliminate excess hooch
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  12:00:11 PM  Show Profile
The recommendation not to useetal had more to do with the life of your utensils rather than your starter. The starter is an acid and f kept in a metal container can begin to wear away at the metal. As long as you aren't storing it in metal there really is no issue with metal. That being said some metals can neutralize the starter if used often. Once you have mixed up a batch for baking you have already neutralized(well technically reduced) the acid level through the addition if flour and other ingredients. At this point you should not have any issues with allowing it to rise or bake in a metal container.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  12:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Well not sure what is going on with my dough. I was the one the asked about making pizza dough and storing it for later. Like I mentioned before I made the pizza dough one evening and was no able to use it till the next evening. But when I pulled it out of the fridge, it was grayish on the out side. When I pulled it apart it looked nice and creamy white just under that outside gray layer. I didn't use it cause I just wasn't sure. At that time I thought it could have had something to do with the olive oil and keeping it in the fridge. The olive oil I have is a darkish green color. So didn't think anymore about it till now.

Now today I made bread and have it rising and the top of that dough is starting to get a little grayish. What is going on.
My starter is fine or at least I think she is. A little on the thick side due to the dryness and heat, but no signs of mold or anything.
I am not doing anything different then I have done in the past using the same water and flour since FEB to feed her. I did get a bag of King Arthur flour to only used to bake with not to feed her with, but I only have a little of that left and that has been used several times before when making my bread with no problems.

Any thought as to what is going on would be a great help.
Think I can bake this bread once it rises. (don't think its bad??? Or is it????)
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  2:06:59 PM  Show Profile
DiAnn - I wish I had better news but grey and brown colors are rarely a good thing when it comes to dough. If it were me I would toss it. "If it's grey through it away". Mold can be grey, blue, red, green, black brown or orange. Pretty much every color of the rainbow.

The fact that your starter looks fine has me a little perplexed though. You dont say which part of the counrty you are in so I can't give you any weather related advice. I am in Arkansas and I have not been able to keep my starter on the counter in our heat and humidity. I have been utalizing a refridgerator method out of necessity.

I did use some frozen dough recently and did not see any greyish color.

If anyone else has experienced this and wants to chime in please feel free!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page