Melissa
Oakland CA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  08:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Mellyb an AOL message
Hi WillowTreeCreek:

Thanks for the offer to help - the recipe is here:

Sourdough pretzel recipe
Yield: 20 pretzels, about 4 to 5 inches across, hard crust, soft center.

1-1/2 cups proofed batter
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
5-1/2 cups all purpose flour

coarse salt

1. Let all ingredients and utensils come to room temperature
2. Add the 2 tablespoons butter, the 3 tablespoons, sugar, and the 2 tsp salt to the cup of hot water. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Put the proofed batter into a warm bowl. Add the cooled water mixture.
4. Add 4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition.
5. Turn out onto a floured board and knead in approximately 1-1/2 cups more of the flour. The dough will be very stiff. (gk: They ain't kiddin'!)
6. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn over, and cover. Let set for 2 hours to proof.
7. On a board which has been scraped clean of flour break of pieces of the dough about the size of a large egg. Roll each piece out with the palm of your hands until it is about 18 inches long and about 1/2 inch in diameter. Twist into the shape of a pretzel.
8. Bring a pot of water to a rapid boil. Drop as many pretzels as will fit without touching into the water and cook about 30 seconds after they have risen to the top. (Or longer, if you like a chewier pretzel.)
9. Remove to a baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt.
10. Bake in a preheated 425*F oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and cool on wire racks.

Any help or directions to other soft pretzel recipes would be so warmly welcomed!

melissa
Go to Top of Page

janthequilter
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Jan
Lynxville WI
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  05:50:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi to you all: I've just finished (finally) reading all 84 pages of this great topic.

I'm on week 3 for my bread and have had 2 successful baking days so far. I've kept my Mother in a warm spot that so far no one else has mentioned. We have a Bunn coffee maker, the kind that has warm water in it all the time and the top is warm all the time. I just set my bowl on top and it stays the same temp. most all the time. She seems to like it there.

quilterforlife
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  06:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
'Morning everyone~

Well, we've had a little shake up here in Western Colorado with the natural gas industry...it is pretty much gone. The cost of living is unbelieveable also. So, long story short, DH and I are going home to Washington (the Yakima area)! We've been living for 16 months in a fully furnished home, so we just have to pack up clothes and some accumulated stuff and we're off. Amazing though how much "stuff" one can gather in such a short time!

Now, my question is this. What about Mum? I've reduced her to one cup. I've transfered her to a 3 cup plastic container. I'm going to feed her today and tomorrow morning and partially cover her with the plastic lid. We're leaving about 4 am Thursday and should be in Washington Friday early evening. During the drive I will have to cover her completely, but it is a loose fitting lid...not air-tight.

Can anyone think of anything else I could or should do? I'm more upset about this than having to jump up and move on a minute's notice! My first response to DH when he told me was "What about my starter???!!!". He looked at me like I had just lost my mind. I'm like well..first things first honey.

I'm glad that we're going home, just a little stressed about having to do it like this. I've been dreaming of Washington for months. I just hate thinking that almost 2 months of lovingly tending to Mum might be in vain and that this might kill her! So, I'll be checking back later today to see if I am going about this in the correct way.

Thanks!!
Peggy

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page

horsegirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lara
Kalispell MT
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  3:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Well, the garlic cloves apparently need to be baked for awhile before putting them in the bread dough, because they were still pretty raw. The bread rose really well, and it turned out good anyways. I've started using Arrowhead brand flour, which seems to work a ton better than the Gold Medal(who knows how old it is and how long it's been sitting in a warehouse and then on the shelf at the store). I also tried another brand called Hodgson Mills, or something like that, that worked well as well. I have used a 1 and a 2 quart cast iron, and also have used Pampered Chef stoneware bar pan to cook them in. Both work well, but the stoneware had to be freeform, and the bread seems to spread out instead of up. Thanks to all for the recipe index. Oh, also I'm using the well water from the tap instead of bottled water and it seems to be working fine.

"I will never leave you nor forsake you"
Hebrews 13:5b
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  6:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Peggy, I should think that the starter should be ok for that trip. Just watch changes in elevation as it might make it expand and/or contract. Keeping the lid a little loose should help with that. Good luck with the moving. You might want to wrap the container in a towel or something to lessen any huge temperature fluctuations too or put it in a cooler.

Lara, I wondered about the garlic. I've had that style of bread before but haven't attempted to make my own yet. I think that the cloves need to be roasted before you make bread with them. I'd have to look it up, but I think that you roast the garlic in a little olive oil wrapped in foil or maybe even a small cast iron or casserole dish. I think if you checked in a cookbook or on google as "roasting garlic" there would be better instructions.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  6:53:12 PM  Show Profile
Melissa I checked about 4 times yesterday but for some reason your post wasnt showing up! I can clearly see you posted just after I did. Sorry about that!

Here is what I can tell you about a proofed batter. TYPICALLY many sourdough starter recipes out there call for the refridgeration of the starter. Many even call for only occassional feedings. It appears that when the recipe is calling for a proofed batter it is referring to the process of removing the starter from the fridge, feeding it with flour and water to wake it up and allowing it to "ferment" (or rest and bubble) for about 8 hours.

Since the starter we are working with is an active starter we can "skip" the "proofing" stage because we have essentially already done it. SO---you should be fine to use 1 1/2 cups of an active starter.

Hope that answers your question and again I am sorry for not getting back to you quicker. Let us know how it turns out!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  6:58:27 PM  Show Profile
If you are using whole garlic cloves in your bread I would recommend that you roast the garlic first. Other wise you should be finely chopping the garlic or using a garlic press before adding to the dough. If finely chopped and well distributed 20 minutes should be enough for them to cook. If you find it difficult to chop finely, I HIGHLY recommend the use of a microplane. Take a single clove of garlic and rub it over the microplane and you will get SUPERFINE garlic! No mor biting into big raw chunks!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  7:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Jan - Welcome to the forum! So glad that you have joined us and have had success with your bread so far! we look forward to your contributions to the group!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  11:08:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm having a problem; not with bread but with this forum. I stopped getting emails and when I come to this site I can't get past page 84. I went to the FAQ section but could not find my answer. Is there a page 85? I'm sure there is. I did not unsubscribe to this forum. Also, my text has blown up yo where I have to scan across to read each line starting with page 84. Where can I go to find out what happened?

Donna

LIVE simply, LOVE generously, CARE deeply, SPEAK kindly...Leave the rest to God.

Edited by - nin1952 on Apr 18 2009 11:11:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  11:20:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Donna- it looks like there are only 84 pages so far- page 85 will happen soon though I am sure! I am not sure why your text is blown up so large. My screen looks normal, so I wonder if your computer settings got changed somehow. You might want to try deleting the cookies from your browser to see if that helps.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  2:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Donna - I have to scroll across page on page 84 too - it is because of picture posted - it expanded the width of the view causing the need to scroll horizontally.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  8:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Gail is correct. It is because of the picture on that page being so large. It shouldnt effect the other pages.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2009 :  8:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Also there is a "my Subscriptions" link at the top of the page. If you click that it will let you know if you are still subscribed.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

284 Posts

Laura
Corpus Christi TX
USA
284 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  12:07:15 PM  Show Profile
Happy Sunday :)

Just wanted to share a recipe I tried this morning - I think it turned out great and will definitely bake this again.

Sourdough Banana Bread

1/3 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup mashed banana
1 cup sourdough starter
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (I substituted pecans)
1 tsp vanilla or 1 tsp grated orange rind (I used vanilla but can't wait to try the orange)

Cream together the shortening and sugar, add egg and mix until blended. Stir in bananas and sourdough starter. Add orange rind or vanilla. Sift flour, measure again with salt, baking powder and soda. Add flour mixture and walnuts to first mixture, stirring just until blended. Pour into greased 9"x5" loaf pan. Bake in moderate or 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool before slicing.

I found this recipe on the web :) and it is credited to Don and Myrtle Holm's Sourdough Cookbook (1972).

Enjoy,

Laura
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  3:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks laura! Please note that if you prefer not to use shortening (I know I do!) you can easily substitute the shortening in Lauras recipe with 1/3 cup of butter!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

284 Posts

Laura
Corpus Christi TX
USA
284 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  6:48:00 PM  Show Profile
:) I used butter - and I highly recommend it. (I've never been much of a shortening girl either.)

Laura
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  8:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Sorry for the picture of my bread coming out so big, I did something goofy that day because it ended up coming out much bigger than planned. Has been a busy few days, so just got caught up on the postings and will be back in the kitchen this week...yippeee! So many things to try, so little time lately! Glad everyone is hanging in there and so many are posting and reading. I enjoy the board almost as much as the baking & eating.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  10:46:03 AM  Show Profile
HAHAH Lisa! We werent complaining! It was kind of funny that it was SOOOOO big!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  2:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to Thank who ever posted the tip about the baking soda to calm the sour taste of the bread. With the weather getting warmer my mother has been changing. Last week I made a loaf of farmhouse bread and it really was sour. So today I added the teaspoon of baking soda starter and mix it in good. The starter got the texture like when you add Baking soda to corn syrup when making Carmel corn. Very airy and fluffy. Kind of expanded, so I figured it was doing something.
I always warm my oven before rising bread. Well turned the oven on placed the bread inside and was going to shut the oven off in a minute. Well I looked outside and seen a robin on my bluebird box and fighting with the pair that finally came to nest. I was so mad, I ran outside to chase the robin out of there and then the dog took off in the woods. So needless to say by the time I got back in the house I smelled bread. Shot. My warming turned into baking. The bread was starting to brown already and had risen some what. Guess that was due to the baking soda. I just finished baking it till the right temp and decided well just see what happens. Well the texture is more like a quick bread but the taste was great. Not to sour anymore. So I'm looking forward to actually trying the baking soda and letting it rise next time.
Guess we always learn things from our mishaps.

Edited by - Farmers Daughter on Apr 20 2009 2:17:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2009 :  4:36:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm almost at page 60 (getting caught up).
This is starting week 4 for my mother. I had switched to the KA bread flour at the end of week 1. I've made waffles, pizza dough and carrot cake with my mother (and they've all been delicious) but I never got bread dough to rise. Saturday, I added all purpose KA flour and boy - what a difference. Bubbles galore and no more hooch! I'm sure it could be that it's just taken 4 weeks, or that the weather is now 70+ but I think it's the flour. I'm doubling her daily feedings so we can have plenty of bread this weekend.
Thanks to everyone who has been posting their experiences & experiments. And special thanks for all the wonderful recipes!

Does anyone have a recipe for making naan or chapati with sourdough?

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook

Edited by - pamcook on Apr 20 2009 5:16:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  05:01:37 AM  Show Profile
LauraBell,
I made your Sourdough Banana Bread and it was out of this world. I actually divided the batter into two of my glass loaf pans that had been greased and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. I also used butter instead of shortening. The two loaves were perfect in 45 minutes....at 350 degrees. I used vanilla this time...with just a hint of pure almond extract, but next time I'm going to use the orange zest
Thanks so much for the recipe!!!

Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

284 Posts

Laura
Corpus Christi TX
USA
284 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  4:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kate :)

I'm so glad that you liked the bread. It's amazing what overripe bananas in the fruit bowl can inspire. I can't wait to try the orange zest too.

Laura

Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:46:58 PM  Show Profile
I made the banana bread last night. Oh my goodness! I wish I had some pineapple and coconut but I'll add them next time...

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  09:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! It worked! Week 4 (just like some of you promised me!)!
I LOVE Mary Jane's flour, by the way. I put the dough in the oven overnight with the light on and this morning, it had risen! It was stuck to the top of the lid but no way was I going to complain. It's the hottest day of the year so far but I baked it anyway. Heading over to Whole Foods to get some sliced meats to make sandwiches for lunch. (Yes, I tore off a tiny piece - it's so, so good!)
Thanks again for all the encouragement!

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2009 :  1:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
I made some zucchini bread yesterday and it turned out so good! I just love how this starter enhances any type of baked good like quick breads, brownies and more! I'm posting this recipe in case anyone is interested in trying it. It is just a lovely, moist loaf!

By the way, we made it to Washington with Mum in tow. I poured off all but 1 cup and we drove for 18 1/2 hours straight through. When I poured the starter into a bowl after arriving I thought she was dead! Mum was so flat...but a couple of days of regular feeding and she bounced right back and rewarded us yesterday with that wonderful zucchini bread!

Sourdough Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:

Wet:
1 cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup sourdough starter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup grated zucchini, blotted dry with paper towels

Dry:
2 cups AP-flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of ground cloves

Method:

*In a small bowl mix the dry ingredients using a whisk and set aside.

*In a large bowl mix the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until well mixed.

*Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until just blended. Don’t over mix.

*Pour batter into a greased and floured 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.

*Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Happy Baking!
Peggy :)

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page