mimilou
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Mary Lou
Lancaster PA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  09:13:02 AM  Show Profile
I mix my flour and water in a separate bowl and then add this to my mother - eliminates most of the lumps. I am using Arrowhead Mills Organic Unbleached flour and so far it's been working great - lots of lovely bubbles etc.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  09:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie - Leezards post was actually in another topic. Not this one.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  09:28:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Stephanie. I actually began with a whole wheat starter. It was okay, just, but improved when I started adding unbleached. I think if it says "unbleached" you have a white flour. Wheat is what its made of. Anyway, my current starter is a combination. To my two-week old whole wheat starter (which was pretty hoochy) I began adding unbleached. Then I started adding whole wheat every other day. This is the best for my Mom. She likes the added boost of the whole grain and the smooth texture of the unbleached. On baking day I only use whole wheat because I like rich, dense bread. And like you, I've cut everything "white" out of my diet, mostly because it means "processing" -- and we never really know what THAT means!

After a long dry winter we've started having rain and humidity here in Missouri. I've begun adjusting my water content depending on the humidity and how Mom is acting. So far so good! I'm not having lump issues - maybe just a difference in flour.

BTW - the Olive Oil Rosemary bread I made last Saturday is the best yet. I'm having to hide it from myself!

sunshinedreamkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Gabe
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Gabe
Moscow Idaho
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  10:31:21 AM  Show Profile
Sandra:

We decided to call it like it is — "wheat" flour that is unbleached (as opposed to "rye" flour, or "barley" flour, or "spelt" flour).
If it were whole wheat, the label would say "whole" wheat.
So, if you wanted non-whole wheat, rest assured you received the correct variety.

Gabe
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  1:10:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Gabe! It looked fine to me but I remembered Mary Jane specifying white as opposed to wheat so I understand now! Thank you for clarifying for me! YEP! Got just what I asked for and more! Tell Mary Jane her chocolates are DIVINE and I appreciated it! I'll be ordering more shortly.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
sjs, in my humble opinion...i'd say start "mother" out according to the directions given and give it a few weeks to get brewing really well...once you have consistently acceptable results then wean mother onto the flour of choice...say by splitting the "feedings" 50/50 for the first week...if the results are still good...then try the switch over to the flour of your choosing

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
p.s. to sjs...just because your mother isn't the grain of your choice doesn't mean the entire recipe must be...when you add in any additional flour to the recipes you try then use what you want and see how your results come out...and please by all means share with us so we can all experience it with you! Good luck, and hope you enjoy the addiction as much as we all do.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
after reading some of the posts i guess that i consider myself fortunate in that there has never been a lumping problem in my mother...no hooch issues so far...and the KA is working for me. Currently working with a combo of the Bread flour and the All Purpose. All that I can say is this is a definite case of "your results may vary"! So many factors that can't be controlled in the environoment.

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  6:16:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for clarifying Gabe!

Girls it is 8:15 and I just got home so I'm not gonna post the pumpernickel till tomorrow. It is gorgeous and delicious though!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  08:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Hello to everyone. I just registered and wanted to introduce myself. I just received my first issue of Mary Jane's magazine and was thrilled to see the sourdough recipe. I've been experimenting with the no knead bread recipes from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, but I'm just crazy about sourdough. I also like the no yeast aspect and that it is organic. I spent at least an hour yesterday reading through the posts!

I live in a very small town on the Western Slope of Colorado and have spent the morning looking for a stoneware bowl and cast-iron pot. Found the pot on amazon.com but shipping is ridiculous. I'm going to check out the thrift stores and order my flour from KA today.

Anyway, this city girl (raised in San Diego), married a country boy and have been completely converted!! I'm really excited about joining this group. Can't wait to chat!!

Peggy

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  09:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Peggy! We are glad you are here and look forward to your contributions.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  10:17:44 AM  Show Profile
Hello I am not exactly new here. But I have been visiting more lately.
I am on my third week with my mother and I found mold on the side of my bowl yesterday. It was not in the mother. I cleaned off the side and transferred the mother to another bowl. But I got to thinking I should just start over.? (that is my question :)
I am using Bob's Red Mill Organic and purified water. I was using a ceramic bowl, but switch it to a pyrex one (from the 70's). I had it sitting on the counter by my oven. I am moving it somewhere else. I am thinking it just got to warm. I keep my house at 65 during the day and less at night. It usually never gets warmer than 70 in here. I suppose it is just a guessing game on why I got the mold.
On the bright side. My second batch of bread turned out just wonderful. Nice crackly crust and soft, moist inside. Yummy!!!! Don't ask me about the first. I really am a dunce in the kitchen. lol Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Have a wonderful day!
Tina Kay

Now I get me up to work, I pray the Lord I may not shirk. If I should die before tonight, I pray the Lord my work's all right. Anon.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  10:49:09 AM  Show Profile
mold is a tough issue and everyone has a different opinion about it and about what is too much mold or "just a little so it wont hurt". I would suggest you do what you feel is right for you on that issue.

PERSONALLY - I wouldn't toss it. I reccommend changing the bowl every few weeks. You also want to wash your towel at least once a week.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  10:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
My mom just hooched, too. Sad panda.

--------------------
Learning to live is learning to let go.

Visit my food blog! http://www.wasabimon.com - natural cooking to live for.
Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  11:13:53 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone and welcome to Peggy!
I was wondering if a wet dishtowel is necessary if a crust doesn't form on the mother? My mother is 3 weeks old and started producing hooch just this week. I use distilled water and KA Flour, fed once a day with a double dose for double baking. I was using a dry dishcloth until a couple days ago and started the wet dishcloth when I found my first crust, that I was able to stir back in. Could extra hooch be connected to the new wet dishcloth?
Another question, if I bake a double batch in a 2 qt cast iron pot, do I lower the heat and bake longer, or keep it at the same heat, no matter what the size?

Wonderful croissant pictures! I love complicated beautiful things! Especially those with butter inside. :)

Amber

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." --A.A. Milne
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  11:51:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the insight. I think I will keep it since it was on the Hooch? or the gunk on the side. lol I need to learn the "mother" language.

Tina Kay

Now I get me up to work, I pray the Lord I may not shirk. If I should die before tonight, I pray the Lord my work's all right. Anon.
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  1:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Hrmm, my mother hooched once I dampened the dish towel too.

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  1:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie - don't be sad! Hooch is not a bad thing - just a thing. A few pages back the girls told me it is natural - an alcohol that the mixture makes. It can be stirred in or poured off. I've been stirring in and maybe adding a little less water. It happens. Then it goes away. Then it happens again. I'm sure there's some reason but I don't know it. I usually encounter it mid-week but by baking day its a-okay!
Hope this helps! Deni

sunshinedreamkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sjs
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Stephanie
Oakland CA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  2:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Send sjs an AOL message  Send sjs a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Deni. :) I haven't made it through the whole thread yet.

Maybe it has something to do with the temperature that day?

--------------------

Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  5:33:58 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking it might be due to weather too! When it got warm, it was very happy. I could almost hear mother gurgling. :)
Then it turned cold and a lot of hooch was produced.
Thanks Deni!
Amber

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." --A.A. Milne
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  6:26:29 PM  Show Profile
Hooch (the thin layer of liquid that forms on top) is not a bad thing necessarily. Some flours will produce it more than others. If you are getting a lot of hooch it is an indication that your starter is getting too hungry between feedings. It can be reduced or eliminated by doubling feedings for a few days. At the end of the week you can use your extra starter in another recipe or pass it off to a friend!

The wet towel is up to you. I only wet mine every few days but my house is fairly humid and I was not getting a crust on top.

Amber - I would lower the temp by 25 degrees and check with a thermometer throughout the baking. You will need to increase the baking time as well.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  6:30:57 PM  Show Profile
OKAY - As promised! Sorry it is late but Life Happens!

Sourdough Pumpernickel Bread

Put this together the night before you want to bake your bread.

1 1/3 cups sourdough starter
1 cup black coffee (or water if you don't have any coffee around)
2 Tbs. Crushed Caraway Seeds (Optional – see note* below)
2 cups pumpernickel (or rye) flour
1/2 cup chopped onion

*Grind Caraway seeds using a mortar and pestle. Pour boiling coffee over the seeds. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature before adding to starter.

The next day add:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (added for the dark color)
1/4 cup dark, unsulphured molasses
about 4 cups of Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (Add 1 cup at a time)

Stir the oil, salt, cocoa and molasses into the sponge. Stir in the flour one cup at a time until you have a dough that you can knead. Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding only enough more flour to keep it from being actually sticky (when the dough actually sticks to your hands). When you knead a dough that contains rye flour, it will never completely lose its tacky feel. This dough does not need to be kneaded long. Only long enough to incorporate the flour.

You will have enough dough to make one large loaf or two smaller loaves. Line a bread pan with parchment paper and add the dough. Cover loosely with a damp towel and allow the dough to rise about 2 hours at a room temperature of 65 to 75. If the room is cooler you may need to double the rise time.

When the dough is just short of double in size you can bake in a preheated oven at 350 for about an hour or until internal temperature reaches about 195. If you are baking smaller loaves, begin checking the temperature at 30 minutes.

Remove to a cooling rack, slice and enjoy.

NOTE - I did NOT add caraway or cocoa to the bread pictured below but followed the exact recipe above for everything else. Bread made WITH cocoa will be darker in color.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  6:36:25 PM  Show Profile
Here is an updated index

MaryJane’s Bread Article ..........................................pg. 1

Baked French Toast with Apples and Nuts................pg. 12

Pancakes.....................................................................pg. 13

Sanfrancisco Style Bread (Ronna) ............................pg. 13

Old Fashioned Biscuits (celticheart) .........................pg. 17

Pancakes (celticheart) ...............................................pg. 17

Croutons....................................................................pg. 18

Waffles.....................................................................pg. 19

Buttermilk Biscuits ..................................................pg. 27

Whole Wheat Biscuits .............................................pg. 27

Basic Biscuits...........................................................pg. 27

Pizza Crust ..............................................................pg. 32

Bagels......................................................................pg. 43

English Muffins (Ronna).........................................pg. 45

Carrot Cake ............................................................ pg. 47

Bread Machine White Bread w/ added yeast..........pg. 49

Pecan/Date Bread....................................................pg. 51

Dog Treats..............................................................pg 53

Banana Cake (pearlgirl).........................................pg 54

Honey Wheat Oatmeal Bread (parisknight)....................pg 62

Croissants..................................................pg. 63

Pumpernickel Bread..........................................pg. 65

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  02:31:25 AM  Show Profile
Man oh man Julie that's a big WOW....I sure want to try that for my cornbeef and cabbbage. Thanks Julie!!!
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2009 :  05:53:08 AM  Show Profile
That's a BEAUTY Julie!! You come up with the BEST recipes. My Jilly Mack and Trinket (tiny TOY schnauzers) thank you for the biscuits. They have some favorite store bought "cookies".......but now they turn their wet little noses up at them. They KNOW I have a stash of the "yummy ones from Aunt Julie".......LOL
Thank you for all your hard work in keeping us going with this breadmaking! It truly is an art, isn't it???!!!
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: