True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:11:59 AM  Show Profile
HOUSTON WE HAVE BUBBLES!!!!

Thanks Julie, the double water trick seems to have worked! I'll let you know what happens Saturday when I make my first attempt at bread. Keep your fingers crossed!
--Kelly

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  10:22:47 AM  Show Profile
Martie - how old is your starter? It sounds like thenatural yeasts haven't developed yet.

Kelly- so glad to hear it!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  1:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
My Mother is on day 5, 2 more days and I make bread! Woo Hoo! The article indicated the choice of flour was key, I was unable to locate King Arthur in my area, but am using Hodgson Mill unbleached organic white flour with success. The starter (mother) is beginning to have a slightly sour smell and is a beautiful creamy color. Can't wait to make bread. My membership to this site was activated today, and I "applied" for Farmgirl Sister, so will join your ranks soon. I love what I have seen so far.

GailMN

A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  2:40:21 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Gail! I'm a week ahead of you with my "Lizzie" and made the pancakes last week...YUMMO! I moved here from Iowa so we used to be neighbors sort of....I used to go to Canada and loved driving through your beautiful state. I also used the Hodgson Mills organic flour and "so far so good"! I wish you the best on your Mother too. Keep in touch!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  10:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Hello! I just joined yesterday and discovered MaryJanesFarm two weeks ago, started a mother and she died of mold and started a new one a week ago using all the tips I gleaned from reading all 54 pages in a week. Whew! I feel like I crossed a finish line with my arms waving wooden spoons in the air!

I have two questions: I accidently fed my mother a cup of water instead of 1/4 cup, so I quadrupled the flour feeding that day to keep the same ratio. Does this mean I had better remove more on baking day? Is there a minimum and maximum amount to leave in the bowl? I will probably want to start baking more than once a week once I actually get something in my mouth (judging by the beautiful pictures y'all have posted.) I know it has been said that it is simple math, but simple math is hard for the sleep-deprived mother of a toddler. :) Can I leave the extra in the bowl until I am ready to bake more or should I remove it and leave the amount I would have if I had not accidently put in a whole cup?

Second question: Has anyone played around with beer yeast in breadmaking? My husband is a home-brewer and he now has mixed flour and water and taken some yeast out of a huge white bucket that smells funky and is making his own "starter" or bowl of bubbling yeasty flour, if not exactly a starter. It's nice our interests have converged. Yeast has brought us closer--LOL.

Nice to be here and thanks for everyone's help, pictures and good humor!

And hello to "boone" (sorry I don't remember your real name). I grew up in Mt. Vernon, OH, so I am happy to see someone from my old farmgirlland.
Go to Top of Page

ParisKnight
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Kathy
Boston MA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  11:23:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I came across MaryJane's magazine a few weeks back here in Boston, MA. I immediately bought it (and subscribed) and that weekend started up a mother. Last week I baked my first loaf - the basic sourdough - and it turned out great. Today I thought I would be a little more adventurous so Julie's pecan date bread is rising right now. Hopefully, I will have luck because it sounds delicious! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Looking forward to being part of the MaryJane family!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  11:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum, Kathy! It sounds like your starter is doing very well!

I neglected my starter for two weeks!! I then fed her and made bread. Our house was very cold so I let it rise overnight and baked it yesterday! It turned out really great! It's sourness was very developed which is not my personal taste preference. However Doug really liked it and we have already gone through a loaf and a quarter!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pearlgirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lydia
Holland MI
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  1:07:03 PM  Show Profile
I had brown bananas, excess sourdough starter, and needed a dessert for tomorrow for a friend who is allergic to milk; so I combined a few recipes and this is what I came up with:

Sourdough Banana Cake

1 c. sugar
1 1/3 c. flour
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
3 eggs
1 1/4 c. mashed bananas (3-4 bananas)
1 c. mother
1 t. vanilla
2/3 c. chopped walnuts (opt)
2/3 c. chocolate chips (opt)
Chocolate or Vanilla Frosting (opt)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans or a 13"X9" pan.

Stir together in small bowl sugar, flour, b. powder, b. soda, and salt. In large mixing bowl combine eggs, bananas, mother and vanilla. Stir in dry mixture. Beat with electric mixer on high for 3 minutes. Stir in nuts and chips. Pour into pan(s) and bake for 35-40 minutes for round cake pans or 45-50 minutes for 13"X9" or until toothpick when inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool and frost with chocolate or vanilla frosting.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Pro 31:30,31

http://pearlsgleanings.blogspot.com/
http://www.pearlgirl901.etsy.com/
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  1:15:12 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the new members! I was one of you just a few weeks ago. I've looked forward to bread-baking day and delighted in taking care of Mom every day. I've been semi-successful - a little more rise in my bread each week. This week Mom was looking and smelling better than ever. There was no hooch - very little crusting over - and maximum bubbling every day when I fed her. So I'm in the middle of my next experiment - adding more ingredients to the Farm House White (Wheat) recipe and treating it more like yeast bread.

Here's what I did: To one cup milk I added 4 T butter and 2 T honey. I melted that together in the microwave. The butter wasn't quite liquid so I poured off the milk and reheated the butter. That all went into a big ceramic mixing bowl with a teaspoon of salt, and was allowed to cool (an old habit from making yeast bread - LOL). To that I added 2 cups of Mom and stirred until mixed with a wooden spoon. Then, one cup at a time I added whole wheat pastry flour (unsifted), unbleached flour, and one cup whole wheat pastry flour - in that order. The dough was pulling off the sides of the bowl at this point. I poured 1/3 cup ww pastry flour on my butcher block, poured the dough onto it, and spread another 1/3 cup flour on top. I incorporated the flour, kneading sort of, adding more flour to keep it from sticking to my hands and the board until I incorporated a total of 1 and 1/3 cups. At this point the dough was not sticky anymore and I could just knead it - which I did for another couple of minutes. I placed it in a buttered bowl, turned it once, covered it with a dry towel and left it on top of the stove with the range light on over it for 2 and 1/2 hours. I didn't punch it down as I would have with a yeast dough - just divided it, reshaped it and put it into two loaf pans coated with butter and cornmeal. I made a long cut down the center. At last look, 30 minutes later, it was already starting to rise a little. I put it into the oven with the light on and a dry towel covering this time. Needless to say, I'm very excited - so much that I didn't wait for the results before sharing with you. Will let you know how this works.

Are y'all getting snow? We were supposed to get a bunch, but it is missing us here in Central MO.

sunshinedreamkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  4:34:28 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have a road ahead of me to get where you all are. The second week yielded another tasty yet doughy and no-rise loaf. It did not rise at all hardly. Maybe the mother will be better if I try some of your recipes, but just baking it as bread....no luck yet.

And your photos look so yummy! I know this can work! And my mother looks perfect.....????

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 28 2009 4:37:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Julie-What do you think about a thread with just sourdough recipes using our starters? There are so many amazing recipes in this thread!

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Shirley, My sourdough bread dough that is MJ recipe does not raise much.. I made 1 1/2 recipe and put it ina 2 qt pan. I think the older the starter the higher it raises, at least mine did.. I posted a picture on another thread.. Across the fence. of todays bread. Don't give up

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  5:24:53 PM  Show Profile
WE got some this afternoon and just heard we're supposed to get more tonight....I'm lovin' it! What a great day to make bread and this is LOTS nicer than that ice storm! I made the San FRancisco sourdough recipe from Ronna and BOY did it RISE!!! I got inot trouble with that one...I think my "Lizzie" could have done it all by herself! I made a few mistakes but it turned out and tasted yummy! I'll have pics tomorrow but I'm just too tired tonight.

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  7:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow!! Three hours later and I have read through all the posts on bread making. Julie thanks for all the info and if I need and help may I contact you? My starter is three weeks old now and the first two loaves of bread were okay. I plan on trying the other recipes though, that is the reason I went through all the posts because I knew someone had posted recipes, I have the pages written down so I won't have to go back through so if anyone needs to know what page give me a holler I think I can help. Antoinette
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  7:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Amber - the added flour and water will yield you more starter but wont cause any problems. You can use the extra in a recipe (It should make about a cup or so extra) or you can leave it in or you can toss it. It is up to you but it wont hurt anything!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  7:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Erin I will check with MaryJane on starting a seperate recipe thread. The only problem with that is people will tend to start posting in response to recipes and asking questions there and I know the goal is to keep it all in one thread. I am indexing the recipes and should have that posted tomorrow.

Toni - you are welcome to email me but don't be afraid to post questions here that way EVERYONE can benefit from the responses! Glad you are joining us.

Also a special welcome to all the new girls who have posted today!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  04:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked, I don't have time to read through 55 pages. Yesterday I removed two cups of the starter for my bread. After a day of rest for Mother, I will feed today (Sunday). I am so pleased with my first loaf of sourdough - I will post more about that later. I would like to increase the amount of my starter. So, if I follow the plan, today I would add 1/3 cup flour and 1/4 cup water - my question is, can I double those amounts to increase the amount of starter, or do I have to start another batch, or just not use next week? My starter is doing so well, I don't want to risk ruining it - appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Gail

A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  06:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey, when you gals get "Mother" perfected. Please let us know how you did it.
Deni, I live in NC, and they are calling for a Big Snowfall tonight. WHERE IS SPRING!!!

BE HAPPY!!!
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  08:25:54 AM  Show Profile
Good Sunday, Farm Girls! I'm sitting with my first cup of coffee munching down on fresh bread. It turned out great. I had plans last night so cut the rise a little short, but the crumb is excellent and flavor great. Super Toast! So, if you have the time, adding milk and butter, and working in more dough, and dare I say it, kneading, worked well for my month old Mom.

Gail, I've had enough of winter, too. But it really is only March 1. We're due for a warm-up mid week. I remember winters lasting all the way through March when I was a kid. BTW - I love North Carolina. I would probably move there if I could.

My experience with adding to Mom -- I just did the usual for a couple of days after her rest, then added twice a day - morning and evening - to give her a chance to keep up. That worked fine.

Happy Sunday to all!

sunshinedreamkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  08:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Deni~
GREAT job. Isnt it awesome to have fresh, yummy bread for breakfast :).....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  09:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I baked my first loaf of Sourdough bread today. I exceeded my expectations. My husband said it was VERY GOOD. Saturday, I mixed the dough and put in a removable crock liner from my smaller slow cooker (I didn't want to spend the money on a cast iron saucepan). This was at 4 p.m., I thought I would be able to bake between 10 and 12 p.m. When I checked at midnight, it had risen very little, so I was a little disappointed and decided to let it rise until morning - I checked at 5 a.m. and it had doubled in size - hooray! I baked it until the desired internal temp - took about 40 minutes and ended up with a beautiful loaf of bread. I haven't figured out how to add pics to this message, when I do I will post.

Gail

A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  09:26:13 AM  Show Profile
Gail- it will be FINE to double the amount of flour and water. You can do it all at once or in two feeding as someone else mentioned. I'm glad your first loaf turned out so well!

Girls - I have been working on a croissant recipe this week. I need to tweak a few things and retest the recipe but will share it with you in the next day or two. I will also post pics of the dog treats.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  09:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Julie - can you tell me the secret to posting pics, I've seen it done in this forum and I thought I saw using Photobucket referenced, but I was not successful in getting my pic posted. I've uploaded the photo to Photobucket, but an stuck there.

Thanks,
Gail

A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  10:39:17 AM  Show Profile
Gail.....look in the forum technical at the very bottom of the list of forums and there is one in there that has the instructs for using Photo Bucket. Also, thanks for the email...I'll get back to you later today!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

ParisKnight
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Kathy
Boston MA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2009 :  11:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Baked Julie's pecan date bread yesterday. I use a 2qt calphalon pot to bake in. For my first loaf last week I used parchment paper to line the pot and it fell right out but the paper kind of stuck to the bread. So I tried it without the parchment yesterday but I didn't use any kind of spray or butter on the pot and it was a bit of a chore getting the loaf out. Was not a thing of beauty but tasted great!

Next week I will grease the pot one way or another and see what that does. I have to try a free form loaf as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page