olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  07:38:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot to tell you all that I have my loaf rising now. It's all cozy in it's cast iron pot and rising. I put it in the oven to keep drafts away from it. I also have the oven light on to add a little warmth in there.

We should have a nice loaf to eat with our dinner tonight. It gets better and better with each passing week.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  07:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Sandy - it should smell yeasty or vinegary. If it smells like sweaty gym socks or very unpleasant you probably should toss it. For future reference you can cover it in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge if you are going to be away from it for a few days up to a few weeks. Longer than that and you can store it in the freezer. Just bring it to room temperature before feeding it again and you can continue like normal.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  08:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Mine is in the oven with the light on, and I keep looking through the glass to see if it is rising.....I can't tell. It has been in there almost four hours now. Smells sour. I also saw on my parchment paper box not to use it for over 400 degree ovens. And our recipe calls for 425. But I used the paper, and I hope it does not burn or anything. Will let you know!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  09:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Okay...I was going to make the San FRancisco french bread but changed my mind this morning and made Julie's pancakes instead....DELISH!!!!! I am freezing the rest after cooking them. Next week the French style bread.
Ahhh.....I think it's time for a nap now. Thanks everyone!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Just a thought on those who want to use the bread machine for MaryJane's recipe, which needs a long rise time before baking. From more than a few reports on several sourdough baking forums, sourdough has been known to corrode/remove the non stick finish on the bread pans.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  1:53:13 PM  Show Profile
This morning I made Julie's pancakes as well. They were a huge hit. Normally when I make pancakes we use an IHOP copycat recipe. My DH loved them & said they were better. Also my kids too. Was so glad to see he enjoyed them after being a little nervous to eat something that had been sitting on the counter all week. We won't be making IHOp pancakes any longer. Thanks for the recipe.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  2:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ronna for Bread machine caution. I think the rapid method is probably the only way to go if you are going to bake in the machine but I think i will try to use the dough setting for rolls and such and then raise the dough elsewhere.

Shirley Jean, parchment paper can "burn", more like singe really... at extremely high temps but only any exposed edges. You are fine. I have not had parchement burn at 425 degrees- ever! and i use it all the time. I have had it start to brown at 475 and singe at 500 when i make pizza on the stone. Hasn't hurt at thing as far as i can tell.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  3:06:50 PM  Show Profile
FYI- for those of you with "too sour" issues, i just read that some people put a pinch of baking soda in a "too sour"dough to temper/sweeten the sour. Anyone tried this?

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  5:07:01 PM  Show Profile
I have had good luck with my dough rising nice and quick when I put it under my bathroom sink with a lamp on. It's nice and warm under there undisturbed and does a great job. That's the only place I rise mine now.

And when I made pancakes Wed. and had lots of the batter left over, i just put it in the fridge. It does not last more that a day or 2 that way. Next time I will cook them all and freeze them. It smells bad now.

That cake looks so good.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  5:19:36 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and I baked our bread at the same time in the same oven. That was interesting. I used a cast iron loaf pan, and she used a crockery pampered chef loaf pan. Mine came out looking almost like whole wheat, and did not raise a lot but cooked nicely and tasted good, but definitely sour. Hers came out lighter in color but heavier in consistency, and tasted sweeter than mine! Hers took longer to get to the desired temp. We had both used the same products, and done the same things each day......but both were yummy good! Butso different!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  5:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Ready for the oven I made two loaves today and have them ready to bake in Glass pans..I will post the finished loaves when they are done. I really like the sour taste & we will have it for dinner.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Feb 21 2009 5:25:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Here it is... Beautiful

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

701 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
701 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:16:02 PM  Show Profile
For those of you who are discouraged by your loaves, this is what mine looked like last week (my mother's first batch):

It didn't raise AT ALL. (The photo is after baking.)
This is the photo from today:

I have been using King Arthur Organic Flour - to start my mother, to feed her, and to make the bread this morning - and distilled water from a gallon jug I bought at the store. I followed the MJ Mag instructions to the letter; it just took two weeks instead of one to get going. I baked this week's loaf in a Le Cruset ceramic loaf pan. I let it rise on the top of our cast-iron radiator for about 3 hours. It took about 35 minutes to reach 200 degrees internally.
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:19:57 PM  Show Profile
This morning I tried Karen's bread machine recipe. It was quick and easy. This made about a 1-pound loaf in my machine and it turned out very nice. I had a slice warm with homemade stew! Yum!!

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:29:44 PM  Show Profile
Well...after eating the pancakes this morning that were SO GOOD I vacuum packed the rest (2 to a pack) since it's just me, myself, and I. I left 2 out to have tonight after supper for dessert. I had this Danish imported Cherry Dessert that is like cherry pie filling minus all the sugars but yet not too sour. I had the two pancakes with the cherries on top and then I spinkled some powdered sugar on them...OMG!!!! SO GOOD and I wonder why I can't lose any weight! Ha! Ha! But actually it was pretty healthy compared to some alternatives. I know I want to support local agriculture but I must admit I find imported processed foods to be much healthier and natural then our processed foods....ever notice that?
OBTW.....the pancakes were not sour at all and the recipe has baking soda in it so maybe it does take the sour away?

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:33:35 PM  Show Profile
My "mother" is the original one that was started when this thread was posted and we got the MJ magazine. So it has matured..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  6:55:19 PM  Show Profile
I made the caraway rye bread today and it came out perfect! The best rye bread I have ever eaten and amazingly it was made by me! I'm so thrilled to be able to actually make yummy bread.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  8:43:54 PM  Show Profile
I made my third loaf today, and again, it was a rock. It could not be eaten. Im not sure what to do. I am ready to give up. I would like one nice loaf!!!
My starter smells nice and looks real bubbly. To the two cups I removed to make my bread, I added 1/4 cup of warm water. The batter was sticky and looked like MaryJanes. It grew to twice the size. After baking for 30 minutes it was still hard as a rock. And it was more sour or tangy then before. grumble, grumble...and I just purchased a nice 2 quart pot....I think I am going to just make some with an envelope of yeast. Now I need to figure out how to use my starter with the yeast. Does any one think that will work???

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  06:36:55 AM  Show Profile
Kathy.....same here..exactly the same. I actually started over with a new starter. Like you I did everything to the instructions. I did google sour dough bread and there are some links with the recipe with yeast. Any problem let me know I have printed some...but google it and see. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  06:54:24 AM  Show Profile
Kathy here are the directions for making the farmhouse bread

"To the 2 cups you removed into your measuring “bowl,” add 3/4 t salt and 1 t honey (to sweeten the rise). Stir. Add 1 1/2 cups more white flour. Stir with a wooden spoon. It’s a good workout for your arm (the handle on the measuring “bowl” helps you get the job done), but you know you need it—you just don’t knead it, the time-consuming part that I never really came to terms with, even though I know my grandmother kneaded her bread for something like 20 minutes. My ritual takes no more than a couple of minutes."

I am not sure why you are adding a 1/4 cup of warm water. It looks like you could have the recipe wrong so hopefully this could fix the problem! Also - be sure you are using a thermometer to check the temp as you bake!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  06:57:38 AM  Show Profile
Here is the link to the Bread directions in case anyone needs it.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Recipes-Patterns-Instructions/no-knead_bread.asp

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  07:13:55 AM  Show Profile
Julie....I don't add any more water...followed the directions to a T...like you said maybe the house is too cold...I don't know doesn't seem to be... but I made a new starter any way. Like one of the gals said when I'm ready to bake it I will stick in the bathroom to rise...keep the door shut nd no one can go in :)
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  07:20:48 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, Try the San Francisco "style" french bread recipe that Ronna posted on this thread, my starter is still rather young so used this and it came out great! It does use yeast with the starter also.
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Julie,
I followed the direction to the T. (Melissa, I stole your line) I know the extra water was not in the original directions. It’s just that the dough was very dry. It was not a sticky mass as MaryJanes describes. I thought that maybe my house is just too dry.
Remember three weeks ago my first loaf was ok. Good enough with soup or just toasted with butter and honey.
Susan, Thank you. I am going to try the San francisco style.
So this morning I took the balance of my starter, 2 cups, to it added the honey and salt. I also added 1/2 of warm watered yeast. I then added the flour. About two cups.

Let me just say it has doubled nicely. I punched it down, (I know the recipe does not call for that)It is very airy and moist. I will let it grow for another hour or two.
I guess I am just not capable of making a true sour dough loaf.
I will give it one more try next week. I will start all over again.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  10:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Kathy - what is the consistancy of your starter? Is it really thick or is it somewhat thin? You may need to increase the amount of water you add to your starter just a bit. I would also suggest that rather than adding extra water to your dough that you cut back on the flour. Add 1 cup of flour and begin to stir. Then add the remaining half cup of flour a tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistancy. Adding extra water can throw off the gluten and yeast balance.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page