urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  7:02:40 PM  Show Profile
That is sooo cool Julie...your cake looks fabulous ! You and the others have shared such awesome recipes!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  9:18:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh man! That carrot cake looks fabulous. Come on Ruby! You've got work to do mother! Don't know if I can wail until next week to give her a try...bread, cake pancakes, I don't know if I've made enough! And yes, all the pictures are great motivators (that's why I jumped in on this!).

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  06:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Okay....I admit it...I was drooling over that carrot cake! You are great, Julie, to make all these things and share your recipes with us! It is truly motivating and salivating! Thanks so much!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  07:14:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey ya'll. I googled "health benefits of sour dough bread" last night and got all kinds of good info there. I don't know if anyone else has done this yet. But there is a site about diabetes and sour dough.

Just thought I'd mention this. Kris

And the cake recipe looks good. Thanks, Julie.

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  07:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning, Ladies! You and your "Mom's" are doing fabulous work. I'm collecting the recipes, but also trying to lose a few pounds ;-)

So, here's my question, When you take a cup of Mother out midweek to make a cake or pancakes, etc, do you just add back a cup plus the daily 1/3 cup? How often can you do this before Mother gets upset - that is, doesn't have time enough to sour-up? Or did you just double the batch at the beginning so now there's plenty. I started with the amounts given in the magazine article and am only doing the 1/3 cup add.

Thanks for helping out, and for your continued dedication to my education.

Deni

A house in the country is not the same as a country house. Gertrude Stein (1874 - 1946)

sunshinedreamkitchen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  07:41:06 AM  Show Profile
Julie, your cake is awesome! can't wait to make one for my mom (her favorite of all) .thanks for sharing!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  07:59:51 AM  Show Profile
Deni If I take some out mid week I just double up for the next few days. However, several of the recipes I have posted only require 1 cup of starter, so if you plan to make 2 recipes in the week that only need 1 cup you really dont need to "make up" for any.

Thanks everyone for your compliments on the cake!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

EarthKind
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Angel
Valencia CA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  10:01:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, I had it all planned out that Saturday was going to be English Muffin day and then midweek I'll be making loaves again.... but now I've seen these carrot cake photos (and I LOVE carrot cake), I've got a real problem on my hands!

Deni, I had to double the size of my mother to accomodate 2 baking days a week. So after week one and the first "rest" day, I started adding 2/3 C flour and 1/2 c water. So far it's working well. I'm in the 3 week now.

If everyone keeps adding such yummy recipes and photos, I'll have to move my mother to the tub!!

Farmgirl Sister #481
Go to Top of Page

vicki Cothren
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Vicki
Pomona Cal
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  12:21:44 PM  Show Profile
After 5 weeks of experimenting with pans, I finely have good starter and bread. My house is old and usually on the cold side even though I live in So. Cal. so I ended up using a heating pad on low to help the bread rise. My question is, I need because of economics, find a less inexpensive flour - I have been using King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour,at a little over $4.00 for 5lbs up to now. Has anyone tried other flour brands and what was your results? I did see that Mary Jane did make arrangements with a company for her customers, but never heard who or how much. Gold Metal unbleach all purpose at Winco in our area is around $2.00 - has any one tried that. We have truely enjoyed our bread and this website. Blessings - Vicki
Go to Top of Page

pearlgirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lydia
Holland MI
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  12:30:00 PM  Show Profile
Vicki,
I have been using whatever unbleached flour or wheat flour I have on hand (which is either store brand or gold medal) to make my bread and they work fine. I do use organic unbleached flour though to feed my starter since I don't want any chemicals building up in there that could kill it.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Pro 31:30,31

http://pearlsgleanings.blogspot.com/
http://www.pearlgirl901.etsy.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  12:34:48 PM  Show Profile
tomorrow is rise and bake day! Both my daughter's and my batter is bubbly, and a little "ripe" smelling, and so now we get to see if the baking is successful! I just love looking at the bowl on the counter, that has been a pleasure all to itself so far!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

vicki Cothren
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Vicki
Pomona Cal
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Thank-you pearlgirl, for the prompt feed back - Vicki
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  1:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Well..... there is definately something wrong with my starter....my fourth try and this morning at 4:30 I mixed two cups of starter with the 1 1/2 cups of flour little salt and honey put it in the cast iron pot and this afternoon when I came home from work 3:00 no rise...nothing. I sure don't get it. I just can't figure it out.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  1:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Vicki, MJ's organic flour was like $7.95 I think for 5 lbs. and free shipping but it was only offered to "sisterhood" members I think and there was a limit of 5 bags/boxes. I ordered it but I didn't have it when I started my "Lizzie"...my starters name. I found Hodgson's Mill organic white flour at Walmart for about $2.00 for 4 or 5 lbs. so I used that. It seems to be working fine but then again I haven't made anything with my starter yet. Tomorrow is my first day baking! I can't wait but I am making the San Francisco french bread recipe the first time as was posted earlier. I will wait until week #3 to try the farmhouse recipe.
Good luck!
Melissa - have you tried that San FRancisco french bread recipe from Ronna here on this thread? LOts of the gals who had no success with MJ's recipe the firs few times tried that one and it worked until weeks later when their sourdough got much stronger. They had great success with Ronna's recipe, you might want to try that. Is your starter bubbly and smelly?
Are you using a wooden spoon? Organic white flour? The first time I tried anf failed I had used regular flour and tap water, not purified and it made ALL the difference in the world! Hope this helps. Have you read all the posts? There are lots of hints and tips throughout this entire thread!
Good Luck!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  1:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Melissa - I had the same thing happen last Saturday. I fixed it by applying heat. I heated the top of my cast iron pot on the stove top over a gas burner until it was fairly warm. Then I turned off the burner, put the pot on it, the lid on the pot, AND turned on the oven. Then I got a RiSe out of it in a couple of hours time.

I also think I'll try a little more honey tomorrow when I bake my next straight up Artisan loaf. My sourdough is sooo sour, and is some honey helps the rise, won't more honey help more? Hopefully . . .

A house in the country is not the same as a country house. Gertrude Stein (1874 - 1946)

Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  2:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Sandra and Deni..... I have used the organic flour and purified water wooden spoon and ceramic bowl...it's bubbly and smell sour...I just feel disappointed....I will give the S.F. french recipe a try. Thanks girls.
Go to Top of Page

Deni
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Deni
Columbia MO
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  2:16:30 PM  Show Profile
On the discussion of flours -- I've been using unnamed bulk flours from my semi-urban health food store. The organic flours are about $1.50 lb. I'm going to check with the local food buying club and see what it costs to buy in bulk. My experience with organic flour in large quantities is that it's best to freeze it because beasties like to infiltrate - or some actually come in the flour - and freezing keeps them from hatching and ruining the precious stuff. I don't have a deep freeze unit at the moment, but have hope for the future. We're fixing up a utility room for our washer/dryer and sewing!!! If you have grocers that carry bulk food you might check with them. They may be willing to help you out. Or a local baker friend of mine will split orders with me when she gets a 25 lb. bag.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  2:18:46 PM  Show Profile
baking bread is a mysterious thing......this I have learned in the past. I have wondered for weeks why it does not work and then all of a sudden it does, and I wonder what made the difference. Do not get discouraged.....keep trying other things.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  2:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Melissa I wish I had an answer for you! If you are getting a bubbling starter I don't understand why it wouldn't rise unless it is just too cold in your house. Perhaps you will have better luck once the weather warms up.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  3:08:38 PM  Show Profile
My bake day is tomorrow and I can't wait. "Mona".. My name for my starter is getting really good. She will provide the makings for two good size, loaves one I will take to my SIL Sunday..a surprise for her. Hope she likes the bread.. All I can say is Keep trying ladies, Each week my "mona" gets more sour.. & we love her so much..As shirley said don't get discouraged...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  7:15:40 PM  Show Profile
well, this is so not MaryJaneLike- (am a tad chagrined to admit this) I used electricity and I made a bread machine sourdough loaf today. I used Richard Langer's recipe from The Bread Machine bakery Book c. 1991
I didn't make his All-Sour Sourdough recipe because I was experimenting with MJ's starter verses the one he makes which uses milk. So I made this recipe instead and used the express or rapid setting. I know it uses yeast and oil, but for a quick loaf, the sour flavor is very tasty. Will make this again. I will definitely keep experimenting with the "mother and machine".

WHITE SOURDOUGH BREAD
2 cups MaryJane starter
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 3/4 c organic flour
1 teaspoon yeast
~put all ingredients into the bread machine pan fitted with the paddle in the order listed and select the rapid setting.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89

Edited by - chessie on Feb 20 2009 7:32:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2009 :  8:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing this Karen. I donthave a bread machine but I know many do. I'm sure this recipe will be helpful!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

boonedesigns
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

sandy
danville OH
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  07:17:39 AM  Show Profile
I had a good started I thought.

Then a week and 1/2 ago I got the flu. I completely ignored the starter never feeding it or baking bread. Now I am not sure if it is just me but it has a really really strong odor. It still bubbles when i feed it but I am afraid it has gone bad.

Should I pitch it and start over????

I don't want it to make me sick or anything if I use it to bake bread. Will it?

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. ~Confucius

Sandy Boone Murals, Illustration & Graphic Design
www.BooneDesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

boonedesigns
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

sandy
danville OH
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  07:20:33 AM  Show Profile
I should add it sticks so much it smelling up the kitchen and my husband thought something was dying.

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. ~Confucius

Sandy Boone Murals, Illustration & Graphic Design
www.BooneDesigns.com
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2009 :  07:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Sandy,

If it stinks up the kitchen that much that your husband made a comment about it, you should play it safe and ditch it. Start over. You don't want to take a chance and get sick. It's only flour and water so just ditch it.

Hope you are feeling much better from your bout with the flu. That can really knock the stuffing right out of you!

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page