chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  1:45:18 PM  Show Profile
It is Sunday and I am making my mother...Any one else following the exact schedule in the article like I am?
So exciting!
While at King Arthur Flour's website today I noticed this item, "Artisan Bread Baking Crock", and want to get some discussion on it, pro & con, in light of the Simply Bee issue. However, I am continuing to search for the cast iron saucepan like MJ's and if you guys find it before me please give a shout out. I will, of course, do the same.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?select=C51&byCategory=C321&id=7686

Lisa - I have been mail order shopping with King Arthur for at least 15 years, maybe even 20, and I love them. Great service, great products, fast order processing and reasonable shipping costs. I hope you enjoy shopping with them as much as I do.

MaryJane - I cannot wait for the "Bread the MaryJane Way" Book! I would preorder it now if I could...hint, hint!
Love to all, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  1:50:47 PM  Show Profile
Here's what it says:

On the 7th day, your mother will be ready. It should have bubbles and smell pleasantly sour--like stout beer. In the morning (Saturday), spoon 2 cups of your mother into a mixing bowl. Then cover your mother (don't add anything to her today--it's her day of rest) but take the 2 cups you took out and turn it into bread using one of my recipes RIGHT THEN AND THERE (SATURDAY), not Sunday. Take a deep breath and put your thinking cap on.

I've asked WILLOWTREECREEK (Juli) to get up to speed on my "bread the MaryJane" way so she can help me answer your questions. (She's darn good in the kitchen and good with instructions.) In the meantime, carefully read what I've written so far. Most of your questions are easily answered in the link that is in the first post on this thread.

Happy Bread Making!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  3:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey guys! As MaryJane mentioned, working with this bread will be my little project for a while. I'm going to be making the white flour starter as MaryJane recommends in the article. I will also be giving a Whole wheat version a try since some of you seem to be interested in that. I plan to experiment with some different recipes and flavor combinations. If you've got any questions or suggestions send em my way. I'll do it best to answer them and will be working on writing some recipes which i will post from time to time for you to try out. In the meantime, carefully reread the bread article! You will find a lot of your questions are answered right there! Maryjane was very thorough! I think this bread recipe/process can revolutionize our kitchens and the way we cook. I hope to show you how versitile this recipe can be.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  5:37:50 PM  Show Profile

Ok! See! It is Sunday & I have started my sourdough "mother". Of Course, I named her...MARYJANE! Will chronicle this adventure from starter to bread... See you tomorrow.
Love to All, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  5:44:29 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I started mine today as well, with the KA flour and bottled water. The thing I'm wondering about is, do you have to use the organic flour in the final bread recipes? Can I just use the KA for the "mother"/starter and still have success using mainstream Gold Medal etc. brands for the balance. I guess I'll find out. ;)

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  6:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am going to make my starter tomorrow, so I will be a day off from the schedule. I think once I get her going I will be able to adjust so I am on schedule with the article though :D I am really excited! I love this article! I think I will print it out, put it in plastic page protectors and post it on my kitchen wall. That way I will always have it right where I will be using it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:16:46 PM  Show Profile
well, i'm sticking with King Arthur Organic since the "Mother" is apparently susceptible to chemicals and additives. I should let the others, Julie especially, answer you -those who have done this before will know best, but, since you asked, it is my understanding that Gold Medal, etc - the "mainstream" flours, are made from wheat(s) that is/are purchased from different sources based on the best price the flour company can get at any given time. Consequently the water content and the protein content of their flours are never the same from batch to batch. This fluctuation affects baking tremendously. They, the mainstreamers, also bleach, bromate, enrich & who knows what else to their final products. King Arthur is first and foremost a professional baker's flour source. It is because KA always tests their flours for water and protein content so that it is consistent and the bakeries who buy their wares can count on their baked goods turning out the same way every day... I think KA even buys wheat differently than the mainstream, meaning not as a commodity, or at auction, but instead pays farmer's to grow the wheat for them...not sure...
Maybe others know more about this and can tell you better than I can why you should stick with organic for sure and King Arthur if you can.
Love to all, Karen

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:18:42 PM  Show Profile
ok i am on day 4 of my starter and the mother she a smella quite a funky. sour in a pungent sort of way, not particularly beer like. but it is bubbling already . could someone help me out with the smell. can it go bad?
thanks,
cathy

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:20:27 PM  Show Profile
Bonne there are great benefits to using organic flour throughout the whole process. First of all you are putting a product in your body that is free of chemicals and GM products. Although the FDA deems GM products safe there is clearly a controversy. This reason is a personal choice but a good one to consider. Secondly, as MaryJane mentions in her article the organic flour appears to rise better thus making the final product a better product. Obviously cost is an issue as well. If you opt for the King Arthur flour there is a higher pricetag than "regular" flour. But if you use theorganic flour throughout you can be certain you will get a quality product in the end. Perhaps if the cost or availability of the KA flour is a concern you could us a less expensive brand of organic flour in the actual loaf making. That being said I think you just need to consider what's best and easiest for you. Making your own bread will be wonderful and fulfilling regardless of what product you use.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:34:20 PM  Show Profile
Great minds Alee, I'm laminating my article and posting it in kitchen too.

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:45:11 PM  Show Profile
Cathy you started will smell very sour. Kinda vinegary or alcohol like. As long as it doesn't smell bad like a nasty gym sock or old chicken it should be fine. Here are a few things to check though: make sure you are using a ceramic (or glass in a pinch) bowl and a wooden spoon. Metal is BAD! Don't let it near your starter! Be sure you are measuring correctly. You started can start to sour too much if it is not fed enough. Check the temperature of your kitchen. The ideal temperature for your started is between 65 and 75 degrees. A little colder is fine but you want to avoid going much warmer. Do not set your starter to close to the stove or oven where temperatures can rise to over 100 when it's in use. Also be sure you are using Purified water. Bottled water is not necessarily purified so make sure it says so.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  8:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My previous starter didn't smell beery either, but more tangy/sour. I learned to love that smell because I knew the mother was doing great! I like to feed mine a lot, because I don't like the super sour sourdough though my husband likes it ultra sour. So if I was making super sour dough I would separate my starter and in my mind starve it a bit for a few days until making Doug's bread. That really upped the sourness.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  9:26:38 PM  Show Profile
thanks julie,
it does smell more like vinegar than beer. i feel better now and it is active thats for sure. can't wait to bake the bread and continue to use it. thanks again.
cathy

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:55:25 AM  Show Profile
Day 2 of Farmgirl #89's "bread the MaryJane Way".
I put my bowl by my morning cup o'tea inorder to do as MJ suggests in the article. Tomorrow I'm going to time myself because I swear this only took 30 seconds...

I forsee a problem not covered in the article though! My kittycats are eyeing the bowl & Reminding me of a Tasha Tudor story and picture about her cat...This is from her cookbook, page 25
"I used to set the bread bowl on the woodbox next to the stove, a nice draft-free and snug spot. Then one winter's morning I found Miss Purvis fast asleep in the bowl atop the dough with its dishcloth! Pussy had climbed into the bowl of rising dough, thinking it was a warm bed just for her!"

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  08:22:29 AM  Show Profile
HAHAH! That sounds like something my cat would do! I have never caught him on the kitchen counter and would probably kill him if I did! Hopefully when you get to the plate on top stage you wont have to worry!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Alee, you say your "previous starter"? Was that made a different way or were you given some?
I've a neighbor that has some starter she calls, "Hannah" and I've been wondering if I should
ask her more about it's origins. I'd just dismissed it when she had mentioned it in the past, but now
that I want to do this........

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  10:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Bonne - starters can easily be shared with friends. On our starter - Saturday is a great day to share if you can't bake that day. remove the two cups and pass it to a firend with the instructions on what to add daily.

There are several different started recipes out there. You will want to check with your friend to see what her's requires. I have seem some that ask you to mix in different amounts of flour and water and I think the "Amish Friendship Bread" uses milk!

Getting a starter from a friend is a great way to get one that has a well developed flavor.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was given some dehydrated starter from our very own Farmgirl Ronna. It was very robust and healthy until we moved and I think several factors got to it- different water that wasn't purified, a house that had a mold problem and it got a bit neglected during the move as we ran into housing problems.

Darn! I forgot to pick up some organic flour when I was out and about. Guess I will get some later this afternoon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ennoid
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

D
FL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  07:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Well, I started my mother today (Tuesday) before I left the house for work. During my drive, I realized I'm now going to have to get up extra early on Monday morning to bake my bread. Yikes! I was too impatient to wait until this Sunday to start. Is it ok to wait until the evenings to bake or are mornings better?

Also, for any Florida farmgirls, I found the King Arthur Organic All-Purpose White (unbleached) flour at Publix in the regular baking aisle (not in the Greenwise Organic section). Unforunately, only the small two pound bags were available, but they were only $2.xx each.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  08:24:41 AM  Show Profile
Dionne - It will probably depend on your recipe and how long your dough will need to rise after you add the additional ingredients to the mother. If it has a 6 hour rise you probably don't want to stay up that late!

Read in the article what MaryJane says about baking 2 days. If you want to adjust it for a Saturday bake - follow the method for a two day bake (adding extra flour and water) remove 2 cups of mother on both Monday and Saturday. Make sure to still include the day of rest. You could always pass the extra starter on to a friend!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ennoid
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

D
FL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  08:38:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh good, then that works out perfectly. I forgot about allowing time for the dough to rise. Thanks! Can you tell I'm not much of a baker?

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  12:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh! I am sooooo ready to see the new mag but it has not reached Waco yet! i even left early today for lunch to go to a bookstore (to purchase even though I subscribe) and they had not received it yet....:( must be patient! (not good at that) :)
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  9:35:11 PM  Show Profile
I have a question for MaryJane. Is there a reason that there is no oil or butter in your bread? I have been baking bread for over 50 years and I can't remember ever coming across a recipe that has no fat.
I started my Mother on Saturday and it looks good so far.
Thanks for the good work.
Elinor
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  07:08:54 AM  Show Profile
Elinor - I don't know the answer to this question. I will pass it along to MaryJane and maybe she can add some light. I did a quick online search and actually find quite a few recipes with no oil or butter. I have yet to find a explination as to why! I'll keep working to see what I can find!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  08:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Elinor, here's what i was told regarding fat vs no-fat in conventional yeast bread baking...gotta be the same for sourdough...
Fat, such as butter or oil, enriches a breads flavor and keeps it tender and moist. Butter especially adds flavor. Olive oil produces a softer crust than butter and peanut oil keeps bread fresh longer. Looking forward to to what MaryJane has to say about this very interesting question.

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page