Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Cabin Fever Doll Class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic
Page: of 22

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  10:33:36 AM  Show Profile
farmgirls .. i just posted a reply to Bobbi (Whimsy Girl) under the Snowmomma heading in the Stitching Room .. wanted to make sure that all you 'sewers' who have a 'dolly dancing in your heart' see it .. sooooooo .. i'm posting this little notice to you here. Let me know if any of you would like to do a Cabin Fever Doll Class sometime during January or February 2006. xo, frannie

p.s. i'll make a list of everyone who is interested .. and make sure that you get a pattern and information when the class starts.

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Feb 02 2008 12:44:13 PM

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  10:41:26 AM  Show Profile
I would!

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Sounds so interesting. . . . I'm in! KL
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  4:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,

I would like to try this too. I've never really wanted to make dolls that have the plastic heads or porcelein ones, but I love primitive things and would like to give it a try. Thanks!

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  5:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie, Please count me in for the class! I'm not much of a crafter yet, but I love the primitive look and think it would be so much fun to make a Cabin Fever doll!
Many thanks, susan kate
Go to Top of Page

Once upon a Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Ivy
Bartlett TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  5:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, Include me in your list please. I am not an accomplished 'sewer' but your dolls have inspired me to give it a whirl.
Thanks, Ivy
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  10:26:57 PM  Show Profile
oh goody! about 15 gurlfrenz have signed up already .. and i haven't even posted the class to my sweet 'kentucky ramblings' list of friends yet! be sure to e-mail me and i'll make sure everyone is on the list .. (i'm flipping all the incoming e-mails into a file for january or february 2006). i'll be making a doll body pattern and sending it to everyone who wants to make a dolly. of course, this is a little giftie for all you who would like to make a doll. this is one of those little times in life when we say 'thank you' for our blessings and pass it on. (just 'pay it forward'). did you all see that movie? xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  12:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Add me to your list please Frannie. i'll email you also, as i was able to purchase one vintage linen garment for you (all that was left, we had record breaking crowds!)and I need your address also!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  04:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, you know to add me to the list!! I have two sweet grand daughters who would love to have a sweet dollie, homemade! I also have a new grandson, are boy dolls just as easy? I've never made a doll before, but since seeing yours, I want to learn, and learning from you would be a honor, how sweet of you to offer! I can't wait! I'll email you later on... THANKS!!!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  07:48:14 AM  Show Profile
diane and sue .. got your e-mails this morning and you are on the dolly-makin' list! this will be SUCH fun! diane, i look forward to receiving the linen garment .. but if you're going to make a dolly, you might want to think of keeping it to make wonderful 'bloomers' and 'petti-slip' and apron with. (boo-hoo .. my loss .. but they do make fabulous undies especially if they have a beautiful lace edge.)

honestly, "rag dolls" are so easy to make .. if you run into some 'glitches' along the way, you can just ask and i'll sure try to help. and BOY dolls are pretty much the same as GIRL dolls ... shorter hair and you might get a little more creative with their 'britches' .. i always put some sort of underoos on my girl dolls .. and it's the same basic pattern (just a rectangle) with a slit up the middle to separate the legs .. you usually just use a little heavier fabric for the boy-britches. and shorten the length of the 'dress' to make it a shirt. the fun part comes in the 'embellishing' .. tiny button at the waist .. suspenders .. cuffs and collars. (which we might or might not do for the 'first' dollie we make). i'll recommend some great 'pattern' sites for everyone to go to .. for your NEXT dollie .. this first little doll i always refer to as: "Dolly From My Heart" .. because rather than follow a pattern .. we 'free-hand' all the clothes -- soooo simple to do! (i WILL give you a pattern for the basic body.) And i'll post photos of the different 'stages' ... so you have some 'pit-chers' to go with the 'structions'.

oh .. you can make 'overalls' by simply making the 'pants' longer and cut the top into a 'bib' shape with straps coming up over the back of them and button (or snap) them to the front. and if you ouse 'olde jeans or ticking' .. it is really cute! the ideas are absolutely endless and limited only by our collective imaginations!

"To Know is Nothing ... To Imagine is Everything"

(I have that little sign in my dollie-makin'-room)

You can take any doll pattern and make your doll taller, shorter, skinnier, chubbier .. you can change the head shape .. put fingers and toes on them (a tad more advanced .. but still reeeeeeel easy!)

another fun thing to do is to take some actual clothing that your own children have worn (and loved) .. but that they have outgrown and you just haven't had the heart to toss out or give to goodwill .. and cut them up and make clothes for your doll. a GREAT way to keep them forever! (you can use a chunk of their worn-out baby 'blankie' to do this with too! i especially love 'loved' blankies made into teddy bears or other little critters!

i'm excited that so many of you are excited to make a doll. remember to make it 'with a happy heart' and hide that 'critical judge' (that lurks within each of us) .. underneath the bed or in the back of a closet! ALL dolls are perfect!

And you will be so amazed at what you envision she/he might turn out to look like .. i PROMISE you .. each doll ends up looking just like she/he wants to!

well chilluns, i've got to go wrap a buncha' christmas presents and get to the postie .. then get to packin' for our christmas trip to ohio to see that dear little lucas!

merry, merry christmas ... may you each be blessed with the love of family and friends on this very special day. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  08:16:17 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, my email's on the way. Thanks a lot
Go to Top of Page

bluemoon
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rose
Warrington PA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  10:04:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie, I'm new to the forum(more of a listner than a talker) would love to be part of the primitive doll class
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile
once in a blue moon .. LOVE your forum name! tell us how it came about. will be happy to add you to our dolly class .. jus' e-mail me so i can 'flip ya' over' to the folder. i'll be contacting everyone in january or february .. after i have the pattern made and some little 'goodies' to include (i'll try and conjure up some snippets of this and that for your dollies) .. will eventually need everyone's snail mail address to send the pattern to you. oh .. miss rose .. do tell us some stories of you! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  11:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
The happiest of Holly-daze to you miz frannie and safe journey to Ohio! Add me to your list pleez???!!!!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Go to Top of Page

bluemoon
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rose
Warrington PA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  2:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I really don't have a good story to tell you how I became Bluemoon. It's been my secret password for 30 yrs. working in the corporate world(Verizon). I retired 2 yrs ago, they made us an offer 21,000 of us couldn't refuse. 1 yrs salary plus ,thats what sealed the deal. So for alot of years I went underground just to survive btw working & raising two kids to give them a strong foundation and it was well worth it. I have 2 great kids and we have a strong bond. They are now 19 & 20 and I'm starting to resurface thanks to MaryJane, the Forum and your primitive dolls. I made a somewhat of a primitive looking doll about 17 yrs. ago. She was about 7" tall and had no face. I used wool yarn to make her hair which stood straight out around her head. She was all done by hand. So my question to you is. can your dolls be made by hand sewing? I have a heavy foot when using a sewing machine.
I also have some really old linen from Germany. I was visiting my family in Germany back in 1990 and my cousin gave me some linen which was from her husbands grandmother. I think she told me it was 70 yrs old back then. So do you think it could be used for the body?
Go to Top of Page

bluemoon
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rose
Warrington PA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  2:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, There's one more thing I wanted to tell you, I have a famous neice and her name
is Sqrl
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  6:14:14 PM  Show Profile
rose, i'm so happy that you are here on the forum .. so many new friends .. and oh my goodness .. that sweet SQRL is your niece!!! And yes, you won't be the only farmgirl to be sewing your dolly by hand if that is your choice .. another friend doesn't have a machine. i honestly made lots of dolls by hand before i ever owned a sewing machine. when my granddaughter was about three years old, i made her a really BIG doll and about a dozen different dresses, pantaloons, slips, and aprons for her dolly. she was so large that cute little baby shoes (fancy ones) fit her .. over the yeas, we spent lots of fun hours 'shopping' for shoes and little purses and tea sets and other 'dolly necessaries' .. my grandaughter is now 18 years old .. and i have everything she ever collected 'saved' for her when she might have little girls of her own someday.

the olde linen sounds lovely ... but make sure that it isn't 'fragile' .. so that when you start stuffing the doll you don't 'poke a hole' through it. you might want to consider making 'pantaloons', petti-slip, and/or an apron out of it. AND .. you cold embroider a name or sweet saying on her apron if it is linen. (you can test the strenth of you linen by taking a corner and stretchnig and pulling and poking on it to see if it is still stronly woven or if it has weakened over time. i think i hear a dolly name calling ... (what was your husband's grandmother's name?) oh .. i'm so glad you have joined us and will be a part of the dolly makin's .. and if you still have that first dolly you made .. we would all LOVE to see a picture of her!! xo, frannie

p.s. did 21,000 Verizon employees all retire at the same time? or did i read that wrong? if so .. WOW!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  04:28:14 AM  Show Profile
Any Aunt of Sqrl's is a friend to us! Welcome Rose!!!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  06:38:10 AM  Show Profile
a few of you girls have e-mailed me to tell me you'd like to make a dolly, but don't have a sewing machine .. i can do this for ya' .. for those of you who don't own a machine or have access to one (and if you do .. it is good experience to sew the dolly body yourself) .. but .. the seams have to be tight enough that when you stuff it .. the stuffing doesn't come poking through.

SEW .. if you don't have a machine ... let me know (when i start announcin' the class) and i'll be happy to sew up a dolly body for you ... and you can do the turning and stuffing.

NOW .. if you think you might like to make lots of dollies .. there are TWO sewing tools that i find absolutely a pleasure to use ... a set of TURNING TUBES (honestly, this cuts a 5 or 10 MINUTE project into about a 15 SECOND wham-bam .. WOW that was FAST project! (when i get back from Christmas frollicking .. i'll give you some on-line sources for these (but some fabric and crafts stores do sell these .. i think the set is about $8.00 and comes with a set of about 3 different size tubes and 'sticks' that fit down into them. and they are sooooooooo worth the few dollars they cost! (i'll post a picture of what they look like too).

And the second sewie tool is INDISPENSIBLE for dolly making: a "Stuffing Fork". It can be frustrating to try and stuff little arms and legs without one! You can use a 'poking stick' .. like a chopstick or pointy dowel or even an unsharpened pencil .. but often those things will just shove some stuffing Half-Way down ... and you'll get a big 'clot' .. and honey chile' .. it ain't gonna' go no further! And you have to dig it back out and start over again with a smaller wad of stuffing .. AND .. for me, at least, STICKS sometimes push right on past the stuffing and sometimes right THROUGH the seams of your fabric! then your dollie has an 'owie' that you have to patch .. If you want to start surfing the web, look for Barbara Willis Stuffing Fork .. it has a plastic handle (and get the larger size) .. the little size is nice to have too if you want to stuff little dolly fingers later on .. but the BIG'GUN is the best all-around size) .. it only comes in those two sizes .. and is about ten or twelve dollars .. depending on your source. IF you can find one in a local shoppe .. even better .. but i cannot find them down here at our fabric stores or craft stores ... not even Wally World (Wal-Mart) carries them! They have a plastic handle with a steel rod which is 'notched' on the end .. This NOTCH is be beauty of this tool (and maybe you can even make one!) .. it GRABS the stuffing .. you then 'twirl' it into a big Q-tip and shove that stuffing tightly right into the space you want it to go .. you keep doing this until your dolly is stuffed. i HIGHLY recommend getting both of these before our class starts. (If any of you other dolly makers have any tips to send along .. oh, please do post them!) One of the things that i loved was how the 'famous, talented' doll making teachers who came to teach classes at Crooked Tree Hollow Doll Club in Maryland would MARVEL at what the 'students' would teach THEM! so .. new or old dolly-makers .. suggest away! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Dec 21 2005 06:44:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  7:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie- Please put me on your list. I would just love to make a ragdoll 'with' all you farmgirls!
Happy Solstice, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  8:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, you come up with the greatest ideas....please add me to the list
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  11:26:09 AM  Show Profile
I just found a website that had some dollies similar to Frannies. They weren't even as cute and were selling for $150 and up!! I'm so excited to take this class that I can hardly wait for January to get here. I'm anxious to see what kind of "personality" my dollie will end up with.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  11:53:24 AM  Show Profile
Found this site for the stuffing forks.

http://www.barbarawillisdesigns.com/supplies.html

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2005 :  6:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,
I would like to make a dolly, too. Please add me.

"God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on thy heart!"
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2005 :  7:31:44 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, is there still room on the list? Please add me if there is. Thanks, your a peach! Simply, Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim

Edited by - Julia on Dec 26 2005 7:32:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  1:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Me, too! Frannie..Please add me to the list along with Julia V. if it's still possible...Thanx Mumsie

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cabin Fever Doll Class Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page