grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  8:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - I have not moved away just dealing with a medical issue. I have very little time in the upright position and so most of it has to be spent just getting the animals done and filling orders. I am one who is not a good patient but I know if I am ever going to heal up I do have to limit things. I have read up but do not have much to add to the conversation. I have been doing some dyeing which does not require too much out of me. I finished hundreds of silk rods, cocoons, many new colorways in soy silk, Angora Bunny fur but the pounds and now I just have to take pictures and post on Etsy. Which brings me to the computer issue. Since I can not drive right now I can not get it in to the shop so I have figured a way to trick my browser into getting me online but each time I do it with my fingers crossed.

I had Nick and Brooke with baby Reese at the farm Sunday for them to help me out. You know how it goes - I love hard work and so seeing my son out there doing the work that I should be doing I decided to join him. Well, before I knew it I had spent three hours digging dirt, hauling rocks and spending way too much time out in the sun. I know, I should know better but really while I was working I never felt more alive. Then by the time they left and I was to rest I realized I over did it way too much!!! But, that is Grace. So I am trying to be a good girl and heal - I have been giving myself time to also expand my meditation time and also take stock in some life choices that I have been mulling over for over a year.

So I am not leaving you guys just trying to put things in order. Hope you all stay cool and well.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  9:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I will keep praying that you get better quickly! I can so relate to not being a good patient! I will also pray that your computer will keep cooperating with you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  04:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Okay - here goes! One more try to post a pic of Winston. I am going to try to follow your instructions Monica, and if it doesn't work, you can bet it is operator error!

Ugh - didn't work. Oh well, there are pics of him on the blog.

I got some following on facebook. My friend, Jan, who has a children's clothing business, uses it. She does giveaways when she gets a certain number of people following. Her first was that when she reached 50 followers, everybody's name was put in a drawing for a prize. She got those followers in a week and she had the page for several months before that. I like it because whatever I post has to show up in all my "friends" unless they have hidden me. I don't like it because it is one more thing to do on the computer that eats away at my time. I had a regular account myself before I created a fan page for my business. So all of my business postings show up on my personal page and people who have no interest or understanding of fiber are seeing it and probably thinking "what a weirdo". I am about to un-friend a bunch of people to clear some of that up.

I have worked hard all week and I think today I am going to work on stuff for me! I want to finish weaving the scarf I started. I also need to cut out and get started on Jessica's backpack since school starts next week. I have been knitting on the silk scarf while I sit at Ethan's football practice, so I am making some progress, but it sure is hard to knit that tiny little thread when you are dripping sweat! Girls it is so hot that I went to beauty shop and said "cut it off!" which is huge for me. I have had long hair since Jessica was a baby. It is now above my shoulders. Sure is a lot cooler and easier to care for! And all these natural curls now look intentional instead of just wild!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com

Edited by - lsarah on Aug 13 2010 04:27:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  05:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Lori, by chance, was the owner of Winston a doctor's wife? It has been years since I have seen her but she traveled all over by herself to shows.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  08:05:43 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I hope you don't mind me doing this, but here is a pic of Winston for you!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  09:36:37 AM  Show Profile
Lori, Winston looks like a shy fellow..

Monica, thank you for the prayers - they are greatly needed and appreciated..

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  09:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Grace, We have all been praying for you to recover quickly! I do hope you are feeling better.

I hope you all have good weather today! It was only 70 here this morning at 7:30! It was so nice! It's already up to 90. I can't wait for fall!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:09:17 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. I'm glad to see you here again, Grace. I was starting to worry that something serious was amiss. I hope you are feeling better and will be back to yourself soon. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Winston looks like a real sweetie, Lori. I know what you mean about the hair issue - I have waist length hair and have been contemplating cutting a bunch off but so far haven't done it as I always regret it when I do. How lucky to have natural curls - mine is straight as a stick which makes it have no shape when it's short. I might just compromise and just cut off 4 or so inches.

Today is our last day of reasonable temps and then we start heading up into the high 90's again. Hopefully I finish the rest of the lavender this morning so I can finally put this seasons harvest to rest.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  12:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Monica!

He was a lot friendlier towards us before we caught him up and gave him a bath. Now he looks at us suspiciously when we go in the pasture. He will come back around. We can't keep from loving on every animal we have here. (Except those spastic shetlands!) No, Sarita, she was not a doctor's wife. They are the same people that put on Fiber Christmas that I just went to.

I want to make simple, flat, cotton towels on my new loom, which is a big reason I bought it. It is a simple, manual table loom. Everything I am reading is patterns for 2, 4, or 8 harness looms. Am I missing something? Can't they just be woven flat with cotton or linen cone thread that Web's sells? Just like a scarf, only tighter?

Grace - glad you are back with us. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I am sure all this heat isn't helping.

Stay cool, gals.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  12:57:00 PM  Show Profile
Finally we are up and running here. Lightning hit us. Boy we have sure had alot of that lately.
Looking like maybe cutting the rest of the hay down on sat. Like to get it finished. We can hope, right Sarita? I hope to square bale a couple loads, but if not round baling ia alot faster. Just no fun wrestling the bales around in the barn.
Finished my moebius cowl. That turned out pretty neat. Also finished some bookmarks and a distoff(?) on the inkle loom. Been crocheting some scrubbies too.
Garden is starting to get overgrown. I have weeded some, but with all the rain I have been fighting a losing battle. I would love to till and plant some things for fall. I did make 3 batches of jams and some grape juice yesterday. Tomatoes are starting to ripen now.
Spider bite update....the scab has come off, and it looks good. No divet, it is just a different color right now. But it is all healed. Yah
Well take care all, get rested up, and enjoy the weekend
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  2:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Lori, You are welcome! I just saw some of the videos for the Phat Fiber Box and the plying thread looks really nice! I am still waiting for the last video and hopefully my sample will be on it! I am very nervous to see what they think!

Michele, I hope everything is alright! With all of the lightning maybe we ought to all buy lottery tickets!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Aug 13 2010 2:04:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  6:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Wind knocked down our corn this morning!! Hoping it will come back but not too sure. Farmers having a hard time haying as seems to be raining every 3 days or sooooo humid!. Cleared up so went into town for Ma & Pa Kettle Days, steak fry put on by Fire Dept.

Sheep are busy trying to con us into grain twice a day since it has been so hot. They really pull it if hubby and I go at different times, they yell at us and all stand by the fence

Grace take care now!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  8:35:24 PM  Show Profile
Rae, sorry to hear about your corn, the weather map showed some red areas in Minn. I was hoping you were OK. This rain business is getting old but I know that we will be praying for rain one of these days. I need to be a Gummy, more flexible and roll with the flow, think about it this way, if we keep getting the rain and can't hay, one of these days it will be cooler when we do get to hay and we won't be as hot when we are picking up those little square bays.

Michele, hope you didn't have much damage from the lightning. We won't be haying tomorrow, it is raining right now. We may be in the hay field when the snow is blowing.

Lori, I weave tea towels on my table top loom. Just use cotton warp and weavers. I put on about 10 yds of warp, I use the Peaches and Cream. I do a bunch before I cut off. I also hem my tea towels. I have some on the loom right now. Yes, use cotton thread and weave them like a scarf. Is your loom a 2 harness loom? I forgot.

Grace, hope you are getting better. Take it easy. I will pray that you can get a clear vision of what needs to happen in your life.

My bil is getting better but he still runs a temp and today they did another scan of his lungs and they found spots...don't know if it is the pneumonia or if it is tumors. He is a cancer survivor after having GI cancer. He has contacted his oncologist for further testing. I would appreciate prayers for him.

Good Night and God Bless
Sarita

Monica,

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  9:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I will be praying that your corn makes it! I will also be praying that your temps cool off!

Sarita, I will keep your bil in my prayers!

Hope you all have a good peaceful night!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  9:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Whewww... I feel like I haven't been here in a coon's age. I feel a little disconnected. Sorry ladies, I've been living in my own little world. I should've checked in sooner.

First of all, Grace I sure hope you get back to full throttle. You seem to be a real go-getter and I'm sure it's been devastating to be out of your element. My prayers are with you.

Lori, the name Winston sure fits that guy. He looks very dignified. Wayne even commented on how the name fits him. He's a sweet looking fella. Congrats!

Monica, I'm so glad to read that your house is making such progress. I know it's been a long wait, but it'll all be worth it. Hang in there. You're in the home stretch now.

Brenda, I have to ask, do you ever submit any of your writing? You should if you don't. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on homeschooling. I'm looking forward to seeing your daughter on here. She sounds like a wonderful woman.

Rae, I too will be praying for your crops. I was watching the weather map tonight and thought of you, but wasn't sure in what part of MN you live. I don't know beans about corn, but I know how to pray.

Wayne and I saw the baby yesterday. It's the size of a sweet pea, but the heart is beating strong. My hormones are completely out of whack, but I'm doing better than I thought I would. Wayne and I were teasing each other yesterday and he said something to me that didn't hurt my feelings at all, but I started crying like a baby, then I couldn't stop laughing because I was crying. Imagine the look on Wayne's face (my protector and fixer of all things wrong) when his wife is both crying and laughing hysterically at the same time. I didn't think it was possible and apparently neither did he. LOL

We got the crib put together today and I'll be sewing the sheep themed bedding over the next few days and get pics put up on the blog. I'm moving right along and enjoying the ride.

Smiles,
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  9:31:45 PM  Show Profile
Angie, When I was pregnant with Isaiah, Gary got to a point where he would not let me do the grocery shopping by myself because I would buy whatever sounded good! For about a month,I was stuck on Ramen noodles and now I still can hardly stand them! Hormones are the craziest things when you are pregnant! I can only imagine the look on Wayne's face! I will keep you both in my prayers! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  08:19:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Angie - You are making me remember so many things! I was sick as a dog for 9 solid months all three times. I couldn't keep a thing down, so whatever I said sounded good, was got! Mama bought fresh strawberries in December (as fresh as they could be) and probably paid a fortune for them, because I said fresh berries sounded good! I got so tickled watching Lion King when I was right at 9 months, that I laughed until Stan thought I would go into labor.

It has been a night. When we went to feed last night at 7, we noticed one of our older cows laying down in labor. She is the daughter of Stan's first show heifer, and a gift to our daughter from my late father in law. Huge, huge emotional attachment to this cow. Well, we stayed up till 2:30 checking on her, calling the vet, she was up and down, not acting particularly stressed, but not progressing either, weighing how much of a vet bill we wanted to run up over a 12 year old cow. Couldn't have happened at a worse financial time since I am between jobs for the first time in my life! I suppose this is a teaching moment from the Lord. Couldn't He have just sent me an email outlining the info instead? :) Stan loaded her up and went to the vet early this morning, and found out she is not dialatiing, but calf is still alive. He gave us the choices of drugs to get her going and probably losing the calf by waiting even longer, c-section - which would give the calf a 50/50 chance and possibly her, too, in this heat, or call the slaughter house. Geez, could there have been any brighter options? So, she is being prepped for a c-section right now. I sure hope they both make it and that we made the right choice. Maybe we could re-coup some of the cost of this mess that way. Stan is disgusted, as he should be, but he has precious little sleep and only one cup of coffee in him, which isn't helping any. I will let you all know what happens. Sorry to be a downer.

Thanks for the info on the dishtowels. I have cones and cones of peaches and cream from when Walmart closed their crafting section and clearanced them out. I will warp one up this afternoon. My table loom is a simple manual loom. Sorry I don't know all the terminology yet. I thought it would be possible! I have a dear friend that is finishing her country dream house and I thought some towels would make a nice housewarming gift. And my neice is about to move to New Mexico to be with her husband who is in the army, and she needs every possible household item since she has been living with her mom since they got married. I sure love weaving! I am so glad I got a loom!

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  09:36:06 AM  Show Profile
Lori. I will be praying that both the cow and calf make it fine! I was exactly the same way! If it sounded good, it stayed down, hence Ramen noodles for 2 weeks!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  6:42:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, the calf didn't make it, unfortunately. She only lived a couple of minutes. Pretty little heifer calf. Never seen a cow that's had a c-section. Makes me wonder if I looked that hang-dog after each of mine. She should recover, it just is tough right now in this heat. I have been taking her buckets of water so she doesn't have to go anywhere to get a drink, and she is slurping away.

Off to shower. Think I have soaked my clothes at least 3 times today all the way through. The sign at the bank showed the temp to be 110 at 2:00.

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  9:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I am so sorry to hear about the calf!I will be praying that your cow recovers well! I will also be praying that your temps cool off!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  10:04:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear Lori, Sorry about the calf and I hope the cow recovers quickly and you get a break in the heat soon. I imagine the humidity is horrible too. Try to take it easy. I'd be jumping in a cold bath every chance I could get!

You ladies have been making me laugh with the pregnancy stories. I don't have any cravings to report. It seems all I'm having are food aversions. Right now I can't eat anything mushy, greasy, salty, too sweet. Let's see what else? Oh, you know my prized tomatoes? Well, they're out. They make me violently sick (I'll skip the details). There are more, but they're not coming to mind right now. Ironically, I seem to stomach chicken based soups right now Monica, but I'm afraid they'll grow old quickly. Oh, I guess I have been craving fresh peaches and blueberries. I'm making it through and really am enjoying myself though. I've been looking into making my own diaper covers and I'm having fun looking at what all is out there. Mom keeps teasing me about how prepared I'm already getting. It's my nature though. I research and prepare, make lists and check them off. What a blast!

Take care ladies! Remember to take a break from the heat now and then.

Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cavalli Runner
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Brenda
Mercer MO
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  03:35:02 AM  Show Profile
Angie,
You are a girl after my own heart! I am usually prepared for things well in advance and I live by lists! I don't know if I could function without one, or two, or three! I make lists of everything...even keep a menu on the refrigerator! I have been planning our meals out for years! Usually two weeks at a time.
Thanks for your comments about my writing! I have thought about it over the years, but wouldn't even know who to go to about submitting anything! I have done some speaking to ladies' groups and such (mostly church or homeschool related). I started writing a book about our life in Africa, but put it on the back-burner when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. I haven't worked on it since. I have another "talk" I did once, that I would like to expand into a book as well. I keep saying, "when we get settled"! Once the cool weather comes, and I can get upstairs and sort out all my stuff, maybe I will get back to my writing.

Lori, so so sorry about the calf. One of my fears is losing one of our animals. I know it will happen eventually (so I'm told...just part of farm life), but I'm dreading that day. I hope the momma cow recovers quickly. Our terrible heat seems to have lifted a bit. Maybe the cooler temps will work their way don to you soon.

We had quite a storm a day or so ago...and we heard lightening hit somewhere very close by. We could hear the "snap" loud and clear. I was so thankful that it wasn't our house! After all the lightning-strike stories, I am now a bit leary when the lightning starts around us!
Hope everyone has a pleasant day and can take it easy or do something fun today.

Happy Farming!
Brenda Larson

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.

http://cavallirunfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  07:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies,
Danny announced that he was going down to the melon patch (which has been raided by coons and coyotes). He brought back 7 small watermelons. So we had watermelon out on the patio in the nice and cool weather. I am still wondering if the snow will plug the baler.

I have one of the lambs with an eye draining so it gets doctored in just a little bit.

Brenda, I want to encourage you to start your book soon. I think you were given a gift. You go girl.

Lori, so sorry about your cow and calf. It is so hard. About your tea towels: be sure to hem then wash your tea towels. They do shrink some so allow for that. Peaches and cream makes some nice thick tea towels. I also make dish cloths to match. I need to get upstairs and finish up so I can take off the finished tea towels.

Angie wants me to knit some wool soakers, anyone have any patterns that really work? I have got 5 or 6 patterns from Rivilery already, just want a pattern that will really fit the baby and be useful.

Cool today, we are taking it easy. I hope I can go upstairs and play this afternoon.

Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  12:19:48 PM  Show Profile
Angie, One time Gary and I went to the market and we had a list and Gary said that was all we were getting since I was so impulsive and when we walked in there was a HUGE display of Oreo's!!!!! I asked if I could get some and he said no so I started singing Oh oh no ice cold milk, no Oreo cookies! He caved and I got one package, but I couldn't talk him into any Ben and Jerry's when we got to the freezer section!!!:( Oreo's are the only store cookies I will buy and they were so yummy!! I also had a craving for Corn Pop's and fresh peaches! At one of my doctor visits I got lectured on the fact that Ramen noodles are not very nutritious so I flatly told them that they stayed down when nothing else would!!!!!

Brenda, I do hope you get back to writing! Glad you are safe from the lightning! I have never liked thunderstorms!

Sarita, With all of the talk about weaving, I am about ready to warp my loom!! Oh so little time to play!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  4:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - trying a upright position for a bit. Sorry I missed your call Monica on Friday - went to bed at 5:00 pm on Friday and I am just now sitting up and gotten out of bed.

Sarita - I will be keeping your family in my prayers - I hope that the spots are nothing much and that all will be right as rain very soon.

Lori I am so sorry for your loss of the little one - hopefully your cow will make a full recovery and be able to birth next season. We had to do a C-Section on a Icelandic ewe and the vet said she would never have lambs again - well we provide him wrong - she delivered each year for six year healthy, happy twins... I send healing energy your way and try to stay on the postive side - good things can and do happen.

Sounds like all have been busy except for this gal - trying not to count the list of things not being done because I know I have to get better. I have been sleeping so much you would think I am sleeping beauty all I can say is it took forever to try and comb out all the tangles in my matted hair. I will gather all my strength because tomorrow I have to drive into town - no choice so no whinning for this gal - as I would say to my boys "Suck it up and let's get it done".

Hope you all have a peaceful night and a kinder weather this coming week.

Monica - wished I could view the PhatBox - computer still acting up but let me know how it turns out...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page