Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  08:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Boy and I thought today was yulky here. It is suppose to get down to 8 degrees tonight so I have been putting extra hay in the bunny cages and make sure everyone is nice and warm tonight. The wind is what is bad today 45 mile an hour and it rained over night and the temps will have dropped 40 degrees in one day by the end of today , so the roads are icy but negative numbers are much worse. WOW.. Stay warm!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2008 :  8:12:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies

Sorry for being away so long but it has been hopping in the barn - nine new baby goats in the barn. Three sets of twins - each set has a boy and a girl to them. All are very healthy, happy and active. Had to assist in one twin delivery, the second kid was trying to come at the same time as his sister so I had to push them back in reach in and delivery the first and then let the second come on his own. I promise to post very soon on the blog but with the bitter bitter cold and the active in the barn I have been hopping - not to mention fiber business sales has been very busy and have not even started on the holiday baking. Life at the Funny Farm and is never dull but sure is full of sweet new faces.....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile
It's so neat to read of all your fun going on there! It's so exiting to have new little ones around. Can't wait to see them all. Are your sheep due soon, too?

I hope you get it all done so you can have a nice baking day. Have a very merry Christmas!

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  11:22:07 AM  Show Profile
So what do you do with all your little goats? Sell them? or are they for fiber? Just wondering? Bev

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  6:59:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin - trying to catch up with everyone's emails and things...
To answer your question about my sheep - this spring the last of my sheep where sold and enjoying their new homes. Since we started the farm we would run over 100 or so sheep each year so lambing season was quite the busy time. Now that my sons have grown and moved off the farm I had to consider what I could do on my own and what was the most profitable. I have sold to folks who have been in training to run organic farms so that my sweet one's would be cared for the same way in which they where raised. I still stay in very close contact with them and have fiber contracts on them for the next couple of years. I get the best of both worlds - best way I know how to do business.

Bev as for your question about the goats - I raise Cashmere, Angoras and Cashgoras. I for several years also had a large diary herd but it was way too hard on my spinning hands. Those hands are what keeps everyone fed so my diary girls went to long time friend in AZ who was starting up a farm. The fiber goats are only for fiber, no eating... I do sell them but only to the right farms - it is more like an adoption then a sales transaction. I have rejected many a folk. I sell their fiber and for some of them I have had waiting lists that stretch for a couple of years. I will have some wonderful boys for sale/adoption this spring - I make sure that the animal is more then sound before I ever consider them to go somewhere else.

Well, off to the barn.. The kids are running around having fun. I promise to get pictures but the cold is still making the camera shut down - I guess it is getting picky in it's old age. I can't believe it is 11 years old and still working - in today's market it is out dated, but I just can't see buying a new one. Stay warm everyone.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2008 :  9:22:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Grace

Just popping in to say hi to you and all fiber gals. Wow, everyone has been so busy here. Congratulations on your new kiddos. They sound so wonderful. I love those little one. How is everyone handling the cold and snow? There was a little snow here earlier this week but nothing like up north.

I'm off again to NJ on Monday. Wishing all the wonderful holidays of your dreams.

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2008 :  5:21:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi fiber Gals, sorry for not being at the computer much but we have had quite a week of nasty weather. UPS hasn't made it deliverys for a week. We had snow, then ice and then the temps were down to 0 today with wind chills at -21. Water froze up at the barn. We fed the cows lots of extra hay yesterday so they could stay warm eating. The sheep stay in the barn and have hay fed to them in there. They can go outside but didn't want to stay out there any time at all.
The weather channel was showing the big snow they got in Washington and showed a big long barn that the roof had caved in on....my prayers went up for Jami and all the gals and their animals in that area. Grace, it looks like you just continue to get dumped on. Hope birthing is going OK.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A Good Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, and always Close To Your Heart!
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I hope it will warm up for you! When you get a chance, let me know about the fleece!

Grace, I am so anxious to see pics of the new babies! The silk is spinning so beautifully! I can't wait to see what new fiber you have coming out!

Monica

farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  10:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, thanks for the prayers, always can use them, ya know! But, we don't even have a barn so no worries on collapsed roof at our farm but there sure are in other areas. We have sheds setup in each pasture and the ewes barely use them. They are all snow covered but eating like little piglets and everyone looks fat and sassy. They seem to much prefer this cold weather than the heat of summer by far! I am getting bored with this cold snap...hasn't been above the teens in weeks during the day and of course as you said, the wind can really change that factor.

Glad your girls are keeping inside and warm during your cold snap. My electricity bill ought to prove how much the trough heaters are working right now!

Don't have much to talk about right now sheep-wise...it's that lull time of year for us, just feed and wait around for spring. Guess I'll wish my sheepie/goat girlie friends a joyous holy season now while it's on my mind!

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
http://farmhouseflair.etsy.com

Edited by - Jami on Dec 23 2008 10:55:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  3:26:17 PM  Show Profile
Got the water heaters working again, they just couldn't keep up with the sub zero winds that howled for a few days. Good thing, cause here comes another round of the ice and snow again but the temps are getting warmer!!!! Looks like it is going to be a white Christmas here. All the Spinning C woolies appear to be fat and sassy and having a good time running and hopping around out in the snow.
It is great to hear that you all are OK. My Christmas prayers go out for every farm gal to have a wonderful and blessed Christmas. We continue to pray for those that have lost their jobs, times are very tough and we need to always remember to stick together. I really think that times like this test us and also helps us to put things in our lives in the right order.

A Good Friend Is Like A Good Bra. Hard to Find, Supportive, Comfortable, and always Close To Your Heart!

Edited by - Keeper of the Past on Dec 23 2008 3:47:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2008 :  6:25:57 PM  Show Profile
I sure hope you girls that are underneath foots of snow all have a merry Christmas and stay warm and safe. I hope the weather improves, too. I know my goats are not liking our cold weather here at all. They will barely come out of their barn anymore. And all this water hauling is for the birds! But it is good exercise, though.And i am needing that.

Merry Christmas, ya'll! Kris

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  4:07:40 PM  Show Profile
Happy Holidays and WARM Wishes to you all and may all be well with you and your four legged family members.

Here at the Funny Farm we have not seen snow in about four days but the mountains are getting hammered - 4 feet today and 6 expected tomorrow. The wind is still howling which freezes just about everything but I too figure all the water hauling gets me extra helpings of the holiday goodies. We have nine goat babies on the ground and three girls to go - so the two hour checks continue here but heck I sure would not want to do anything else. My sons are coming here for Christmas and most of the meal I have finished so work load is less and there will be no stress.

I wish you all the best possible holiday and the coming new year to bring us all peace of mind and heart. I may not be with you but from our farm to yours hugs all around to both two leg and four.
Love from the Funny Farm

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  7:26:17 PM  Show Profile
I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!! Thank you all for your friendship which is the best gift!

Love to all of you
Monica

farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2008 :  8:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Grace,sounds like things are going good for you. When I think of the lambing barn checks every couple of hours and out in the weather and the sleepless nights, I start to dread the lambing season. But I love the babies playing in the spring.
Got a couple more inches of the cold white stuff this morning. Had to do a town trip to finish my Christmas shopping and picking up last minute supplies. My stockings are hung. Are yours?

Edited by - Keeper of the Past on Dec 24 2008 8:46:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2008 :  07:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Greeting from my NJ outpost in the suburbs!

Warm wishes to all. Here it's a little warmer and the snow is melting but I'm told by my KY caretakers that it has been up to 60 back home! Wowsie boy! My wooly friends are all doing fine tho I only see them in my minds eye right now. They were loving the cold as I was leaving. They probably think they are in a heat wave right now.

Things here have been going fairly well. Had a decent meeting with my ex and came to agreement on some furnishings and things. Still no agreement on many other things. I have spent some time with my sons, though it was kind of a non Christmas in this almost empty house. One more meeting with lawyers on Monday morning and then I'm heading south to the homestead. Can't wait to get on my spinning wheel and fly!

peace and hugs for the New Year to all!

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  7:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Happy New Year Everyone!!

Can you believe it - 2009 - I was just getting the hang of 2008

I am not sure about you all but I tried today to sit down and think of what plans I should make for this year. I never make the usual lose 10 pounds, I do not have any bad habits to quite, so I am wondering what you all might have decided where going to be your goals for this New Year

I had been thinking of trying to convince the goat girls to have their kids next year in the spring time - but you know the saying about "Teaching Old Goats New Tricks". Then I thought about working less but it might lead me to getting bad habits started that then I would have to vow to quite. So give me a hint - what are some good ideas that I could steal from you and call my own.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  8:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Hello Grace. You've been gone awhile. Are all the goat babies here now?

I just wrote out my goals for this new year. 15 so far. The 1st is to get rid of junk in the house and out. Get organized inside and out. Then on to plowing chicken pasture after pigs are gone to get ready for more chickens in spring. Then paint and clean out chicken house. Clean out milk room and organize in there. Learn to sew. And lots more. But the one I really need to work on is to relax and enjoy my family. That's the hardest one for me. I'm always the one to be up and doing. I never get to just sit and enjoy. So today I actually did this! It's really great to be able to sit and talk and play games and talk. And not worry about a dirty kitchen til later. It gets done.

So that's my main goal this year. Relax and enjoy my family.

Happy new year, Kris

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  1:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris

Your right I have been away a little but running on roller skates.. The goat babies are doing great - playing and growing. No new ones to report so the count is still nine. We have been blessed with some warm weather - today it is 58 degrees but with that comes incredible wind out here. I have been cleaning the kidding barn, taking pens down, moving feed, fixing things that have been broken because of the wind picking them up and throwing them into other things. Last night my huge rabbit hutch that weights about 90 pounds was picked up, smashed into a gate and so this morning I have to repair all the parts. I too have long lists of chores around the farm to do but I keep thinking there is something missing... I agree we should all spend more time with family and friends but that is if you can get them to slow down some too... I guess I am in need is sitting still and listening to my inner voice - it always points me in the right direction.

Have a Happy and let's share those plans, who knows we might just give that special push someone is needing.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  9:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Luna, I hope you are back at the homestead and spinning the wool. I love your felted Santas.

Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  9:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Happy New Years everyone! (little late). Eating healthy meals is my New Years Resolution and I am not going to put anymore pressure on myself than I have already, slow Down. I would like to have a more peaceful life. If I just stayed home with my sheep, spinning, knitting, weaving, felting, dying, and creating...life would be just great! Today I tried. I took a package of oatmeal cookies out to the sheep barn. The ewes love oatmeal cookies!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  07:28:31 AM  Show Profile
Do ya'll know I just found out what felting is? There is an article in Country Living about making totes out of old wool sweaters. This woman gets old ones from the thrift stores for just a few bucks. She washes them, then dries in the dryer. Wow! I have always heard the term felting but no one ever actually came right out and told me this. Anyawy, it looks SO easy to do, even for a non-sewing type person like me. Just a few easy stiches on the machine and it's done!

So I think I'm gonna head out today and go thrifting for old wool sweaters and get to sewing. I think I will just start out with one, though. I tend to get a little over zealous about something and then I'm tired of it in no time. That would be a good goal, too, this year. Don't get too exited about a project til I make at least one.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 03 2009 07:30:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  07:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Hello Sister Sheep and Goat Gals!

Yes I am back on the homestead! Got back just in time for the New Year. I wanted to begin the year here. Things in NJ are not settled out and I'll be headin back too soon for more legal stuff but my biggest resolution for the year is to BE HERE when I am HERE. The biggest frustratin for me is that when i have to leave I of course cannot take care of my business and life here...but I fall in the trap of when I am here, I am thinking about what I need to do there and don't take care of the HERE and NOW. (Hope that made sense).

So my second related resolution is to make the is the year that my business comes alive and becomes real and I actually make money from what I do. To really create my life and business and not let the negativity hold me back. It is in my control to do so.

So I have started. The Santas were the first flourishing of that focus. Thank you for your sweet comments about them. I am so excited because they all sosld WITHIN ONE HOUR of posting! Then I started on the felted rams again. I have not sent out the blog since then so I still have him but I've since gotten inquiries about selling my fleeces too. So things are happening. I just signed on with ART FIRE, a new selling site and am working on getting pictures on there. I may do an ETSY as well. I want to have enough product to put up before I really open them up....soooo I've been back to work on my carder making crazy batts and started experimenting with new yarns.

Glad to hear every one is doing well and surviving tis very strange winter. It has been bitterly cold and then unseasonably warm here. We got the high winds too. Our Run in Shed got pulled off the tethers and blew down the field the other day. We got it back together in hopefully a less vulnerable angle and location. All the girls and boys are doing fine. I have decided that the I will keep my Ram boys for their wool and have them surgically neutered by the vet. It will be expensive but I would rather do that than any of the other choices. Hopefully, they will be more manageable and i can find new homes for some of them. If not, I will just keep them.

Kristin, you will enjoy the felting. It is very satisfying work. There are actually many ways to felt. Do a google on needle felting and wet felting...you'll be amazed.

TA TA gals!

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  1:52:58 PM  Show Profile
Great to have you back and I completely understand your thoughts about being Here.... Glad to hear that sale are going well and just remember to enjoy yourself while starting this new path. It can be overwhelming at times but well worth it.

I have been told by several folks to also start a shop at Art Fire, I would love to hear how it goes... I agree we can stretch our shelves too thin with products if we are not carefull.

As for the felting - not to toot my own horn but did you see I was in the last MaryJane Mag about felted insoles? I have taught felting for many years and it is tons of fun and I have shelves full of thirft sweaters, wool blankets, jackets and the like - in fact, before typing here I was sewing together some sheep made from wool jackets from the thrift store and hand made wool from my sheep. I found some cashmere sweaters at the thrift store and will turn them into fingerless gloves and maybe some bunnies for Easter time. Tons of fun - now I need another two hours each day to get it all done.

Got to run my raisin bread needs to come out of the oven - yummy!
Talk later

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  3:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Luna, I just looked at your blog. I love your sheep. Such beautiful colors. And the little ram and santas you make are great! How nice to be doing something you love and make a living at it. too.

I went to 2 thrift stores and found 3 sweaters. 100% marino wool. So now I just need to get motivated to do this. First I really need to get my room cleaned out so I'll have a place to work. I need a kick in the rear end to get started.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  06:18:58 AM  Show Profile
Hello all you sheep girls! I have a ? about the proper way to say sheep. I was reading an article last night about a couple who have animals and they listed them like horses, dogs, chickens, goats and a sheep. So that does not sound right to me, a sheep. I've always wondered about this. Should you say if you just have 1 that you have a sheep or should you say a ewe or a ram? Saying you have a goat sounds ok but not a sheep. Why is that? I have sheep sounds better. And I know goats are Caprine, but what are sheep?

Anyway, just me wondering silly things here. It just never sounded right to me to say sheep for just one.

Kris

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page