oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  11:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I can't wait to take a bubble bath! Now if I can find someone for the a/c and get that done then we could get the whole front of the house finished, including my craft room! I am so excited that things are finally moving along! I have also been busy trying to get some things listed on etsy! I found some vintage wheels and yarn winders that I really want to get, besides desperately wanting to get Lily and Lucas's locks from you and those beautiful blue and green rovings that you have! I am even having a Free Shipping Sale on my etsy right now so hopefully I will get some sales! Last month was very slow!

Hope all of you have a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  2:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Grace ~ I got some pics posted on my blog. I am really pleased with the final product! We were watching the news last night because we had a flash flood here in Arkansas and several campers were lost to the raging waters. We saw the tornadoes in Colorado and the kids and I got down the atlas to see how close they were to you - they really weren't that far off, were they? So glad you are safe!!!

Monica ~ You have been busy! I visited your shop and you REALLY have an eye for color. Your batts are gorgeous! And congratulations on the progress you are making with your house! I am amazed at all you are accomplishing!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com

Edited by - lsarah on Jun 12 2010 2:42:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  3:03:33 PM  Show Profile
Lori! Thank you for the compliments on the batts! I have to say that I am amazed with all that I am getting done! I looked at your blog and the locks are very pretty! I am sure that one of these days I will have colorful hands too!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  11:05:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi all - been a few days since I've had a chance to get on and catch up on everyone's happenings. The story here has been rain, rain and more rain. Still working on my garden and potting up my flowers into their hanging baskets and summer permanent homes inbetween storms. Glad to hear that everyone is okay and has weathered all the severe storms. I got my new sheep delivered on Tuesday and after a day or so of posturing they seem to be pretty well integrated into the group. I will post a picture when I get time to get it off the camera and into the computer.

How exciting that you are getting so close to moving into the house, Monica. Congrats on getting approved for the farmers market, Jami. I know what you mean about having so much to do that you don't know where to start. Looks like I will have to replant my beans as they haven't come up and they have been in the ground for three weeks. Got a huge hail storm on wed. after planting my zuchini and cuke plants and they both got beat up pretty bad. I hope they will be able to recover.

Sounds like you have been super busy, Lori at the dye pots. Hope your temps moderate a bit.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  04:28:55 AM  Show Profile
Wow I just love looking at all your blogs,and etsy sites. You all make such beautiful colors, and fiber! I would really like to give it a try, but don't know where to start! My grey, and white fiber is starting to look pretty boring! We could I look to get some dyes?
Hope all is well with everyone.
We have not started haying yet. The weather has been wet lately. While finally getting rain is really needed, can't make hay if the sun don't shine. So I try to have patience, but am chomping at the bit to get cutting.
Take care everyone
Michele
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  09:25:01 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I glad to hear that you and the kids are safe! Sorry to hear about your skylight and plants! The weather here has been really cold in the morning lately! It's supposed to start warming up this week.

Sheri, I hope your zucchini and cucumbers make it!

Michele, I got Country Classic dyes from Earthsong Fibers http://www.earthsongfibers.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=79_115. They have a lot of colors and they work really nice! A friend of mine also sells Greener Shades Dyes which are heavy metal free and the colors are really nice! http://bluemountainhandcrafts.com/GreenerShadesDye.aspx. There are only 9 or 10 colors but you can mix them and get 100's of colors!

I hope everyone has a quiet restful Sunday!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  1:24:40 PM  Show Profile
Good Sunday afternoon everyone. Sun is shining here right now but it has been raining off and on for days. Puddles of water everywhere. Grace, I am so glad that you are OK and came out OK from yet another storm. Lori I am thankful that you were not harmed by the floods. My heart breaks for those that lost loved ones in the floods.
Jami, I hope you will find something that you really like to do and make great money at it.
Sheri, glad your new babies are doing OK. Sorry that you are having such a time with your garden and the weather.
Michele, do a search on the internet for dyes. I always used Cushing for years but I have been trying different brands of dyes lately. Dyeing wool is so much fun and if you aren't happy with the first time, redye it a darker color or over dye...love color! I always want to dye with the brightest colors but I don't wear those bright colors. I have to do a reality check and ask myself what I am going to do with the finished yarn.
Monica...when are you moving in? I bet you are packed and ready to go!
This has been quite the week on the Spinning C. Two yearling ewes that were not suppose to be bred...had lambs. The first ewe lamb was doing great and I found her dead on the third day. The one born this morning is ify. I tried to get some colostrium into her...I don't like having baby lambs in June! Flies, rains, wet, and mud. We also lost a cow this week. She got into one of the big ditches and the guys pulled her out of the ditch with chains and tractors not once but twice this week. She was eating and drinking yesterday and the guys found her dead and the coyotes had eaten part of her this morning. Vet said that she might have had cancer or metal poisoining. Then found out that my mother had been scammed out of $3000 this week. (long story and my mother is very with it and very good about spotting a fraud but they played on her love for her family.)
After the week we had and the rains and mud we decided to do a road trip and drove for 4 hours to Adel Iowa to the Sheep and Wool show yesterday. We took in two seminars on sheep, footrot, and sheep parasites. Very interesting! Then to the venders and demos. I have so much wool at home and so much equipment so I purchased a few fibers to blend in with my wool and got the new Spin Off magazine. Lots of beautiful wools and colors. They had classes on about everything wool that you can think of. It had been raining heavily there too. On the way up there we had to pull over due to the heavy rains and storm. ladies, after 4 hours I was ready to come home. 4 more hours on the road. Home Sweet Home. The dogs and sheep missed me too.
Tractor supply had some market and bushel baskets the other day and I purchased a few and this morning I decided they needed painted and I want to sew some liners. In the process of painting, it started raining.
I better go check on the new baby again and see if she is eating OK. Mom has milk and I see the baby trying to suck but don't know if she is getting the milk she needs. I got 2 oz colostrum in her this morning. Hope I can save her.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  07:31:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sarita - I spent the night praying for your little one - I am so sorry and my heart is with you. I understand what you mean about those late show ups - most times they do not end well but I have faith in you and I know you are doing your best and that is all they could ever ask for... What a week for you!! I am so sorry for what your mother is going thru - this world sometimes just gets me - I pray that in some forum the money will return to her. Then to have the loss of a cow - my word you have had a bad week. I wished I was close enough to give you a big hug - I know how these things just pile up until you feel like you are going to break... Words just never really touch how hard it feels sometimes - know you are loved.

We are still having weather - rain, hail, even snow. I should know better -I put away my winter chore gear (washed them, folded them even tucked in some lavender sachet to keep them smelling sweet) and had to go dig them out to get the animals done Sunday. Poor Casper spent the day shiverring - I gave him grain to heat him up but see the moment Grace shears the weather turns... Sorry folks I did not mean to mess you all up.

I awoke this morning to a huge leg cramp - HATE those.. I was standing all day at the carding machine on concrete and I paid the price. Now I am limping around with a wool sweater and cap on - what a sight. Trying to heat up the body - even turned on a space heater in the bathroon - sitting on a ice cold seat sure can wake a person up but hard to jump up with a bum leg.

Well, finished my belgin waffles and ready to limp my way down to the shop. I dyed some wool yarn and now they are ready for round two of the dyeing. Monica I have been thinking of trying the Green Shades dyes put still have many jars and packets in my dye drawers to use before purchasing others. What do you think of them?? I have heard some mixed reviews. I keep trying to get some of my natural dyes up on Etsy - you know that long list of things I am to do? Love the new pictures Monica.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  1:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I have mom and babe in jug and baby was actually bouncing around. I was so relieved! The other lamb that I lost did the same thing so I am still keeping a close eye on her. Mom and baby are staying in the jug for a few days until I know that all is well.
Been running the wool picker and drum carder this morning. I know what you mean about standing too long and hurting...but we sure don't have cold weather. Hot and muggy here. Got another inch plus of rain last night. My poor peas just turned yellow and gave up after being drowned so many times. We have fruit trees that the leaves are turning yellow on.
Got to get back to work. Hope everyone is having a very productive Monday.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  2:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls, but my, my don't you all get yourselves into trouble when I'm just away a day or 2? : )

Sarita, big hugs. Those kinda days I usually cuss a lot. That's why we must live out in the country, so we can "process" without being heard. I am glad your little one is well. I bet you were surprised to see those lambs though! It's nice you're off work for a while to do what needs to be done. What's it like you and Danny there all day together now that he's retired?Nice to have him there when you have a week like yours.

Grace, I am with you, girl. I overdid my dyeing the last 2 days, nonstop out there and I am a teensy bit gimpy on this pulled thing in my foot. I stressed it running (jogging running) about a year ago and it's been slow to heal. I can sure feel it when I overdo it. I have dyed so many fun things the last 2 days though. My studio looks like a rainbow threw up...all over the place. LOL. What a mess though.

Monica, sure enjoy hearing about the progress on the house. I am real happy for you.

On the sheep front, I have folks starting to pickup lambs later in the week. I hate to see them go of course but this is life on the farm. The lambs are quieter now and spending more and more time out grazing then laying by the fence to be near their mama's. The ewes are not very happy though...they are still on dry lot with grass hay only. Some of those udders look pretty big so we are careful not to let them have that rich pasture just yet. They are letting me have it every time I walk about the back door.

Sheri, how's it going? Tonight we will have a spinach/mixed lettuce salad with green onions from the garden. I always think about you when I'm out there picking or weeding.

Lori, I got so tickled reading about your kids pulling the atlas out to look up Grace's location. How sweet. The campground flash flood has certainly been all over our news too. I could not believe how many people have died or are missing. Terrible news.

Well, I need to go make some labels. I have a question for those of you who are more "vendor" material than me...I was going to make a little sign with our little farm story on it. Do you get wordy with these or short and sweet? What's important to say? Can someone write it for me? Kidding...but really *sigh*...I'd rather by dyeing. : )

Happy trails.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  2:48:36 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I missed your post earlier. I like Country Classics dyes from Paradise Fibers. They have a website and ship very quickly. Just my 2 cents.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  7:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jami, sounds like you have been a busy color bee.. I too like Country Classics for some things, Cushings for others, natural plant dyes for the rest. As for the sign - believe it or not - I am short and sweet and then have a hand out with much more information, prices, classes, products, open house dates and appointment schedules.. It is called the tease and hook... I do believe in signage for your products just in case you are busy with a cutomer - others can gather information and be able to formulate questions and purchases without me having to always be right by them. Also, I have different signage for different events because a farmers market is way different then a fiber festival... I too hate writing things and my little gray cells have to be in the mood to work for that task. You might also ask the aid of those who know you because they can coin phrases that you might not have thought of. Good Luck and share with us what you come up with - never know someone here might just have a brainstorm - I just have a rain storm... See I told you I need help...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  9:09:41 PM  Show Profile
Michele, Jami is right about the Country Classic dyes, she sent me a sample and I turned around and bought some more.
With everybody dyeing wool and fiber, I bet your studios are beautiful, eye candy with all the beautiful colors. Umh...rainbow vomit...new terminology for me but I love it and will get that one in my dictionary.
Jami, Danny and I are having a good time. He helped me pic wool and I carded this morning and then I went out to his wood shop this afternoon and helped him. This guy has surround sound, receivers, 68 CD changer, wolfers,etc. He plays country most of the time but when I am out there he puts on CCR, Neil Diamond,and old rock and roll favorites. I can really sand on cabinets and time flys when he cranks it up. Dancing and sanding...
Lamb is still alive, I never see her suck but I have seen her pee twice today so I know she is getting some fluids from somewhere. Her little tummy is not sunk in. It was hot and she wasn't real active this evening. Keep her in your prayers.
I am cutting the milk back on Minnie and Jimmie. Like the old moms do, nurse alittle and then your done.
As I sat through the classes at Adel Iowa, I was wondering what is your worming regimen? They had a class on using the different classifications of wormers and schedule or the more natural way that only the sheep or goats that show signs of having worms are wormed. They are really on opposite ends of the scope. What do you use to worm your sheep or goats?
Curious in Missouri
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4108 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4108 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  04:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the suggestions on dyeing. I will check them out. I did look at paradise fibers,and they are out of stock on their sample kit. Thought maybe that would be a place to start.a sample kit. How do you all pick colors, there are so many possibilities!
Rain again here over night. Still no hay cutting. Strawberrries are ripening now.
Time to get up and get going again.
take care everyone
Michele
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  05:05:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, sold our first sheep. Like some of you, I was sorry to see them go, but is sure is a nice feeling to see the fruits of your labor! Also sold a nanny goat that was a bit overbearing at feed time with the dorpers. She would even run the donkeys off. Sold four dorpers to a lady that has sold off her cattle and needed weed control. She was almost in tears when we brought them to her because she was so excited. She even called yesterday evening to tell us how much she liked them! Sure does feel good knowing they went to a good home. I always worry about that, turned down a couple of offers because we didn't get a good feeling about the life they would lead.

Been working with the cotswold fleece. Dyed some of it a marbled purple then carded it. Sure did make a mess - ton of it stuck to the licker of the carder. I think I had an ounce or two of it stuck to my shirt, hair, chapstick......you name it. Gracie Lou got in trouble because she was carrying some off to her bed. She is our german shepard mix. She lays in the floor at my feet when I am carding or spinning and "tastes" the wool to make sure it is okay to use. Occasionally she steals a little if I am not looking.

We hauled hay Sunday afternoon, big beautiful bales that came from a nearby farm. Got a glorious rain last night, of course just as I started feeding. But we sure needed it - our dirt road is now much less dusty. Sent my two boys off to church camp yesterday morning. That was REALLY hard. Jessica went to band practice then to a friend's house for the rest of the day, so I was totally childless most of the day. Kind of a strange feeling. I gave up in the quiet and went to see hubby at work and practiced driving a school bus. It was actually fun. Backing up is a challenge - like backing a skyscraper - but I'll learn! Still haven't decided if I am going back to teaching next year. I have a little while longer.

Sarita ~ what a rough week you had. Hang on! So sorry to hear about you losing livestock.

Have a good day everyone!

~Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com

Edited by - lsarah on Jun 15 2010 05:08:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  07:42:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice, Grace. I will be working on the signage tomorrow or Friday...nothing like the last minute, eh? I do put a "cutesy" farm history blurb on the back of the labels plus care instructions. I worked long and hard getting a consistent label for everything. If any of you want some super fun fonts, try Urbanfonts.com. They download to your computer and then when you open the file it goes right into your word processing program and you can use them forevermore. Some are so very unique and cute.

Sarita, I got teary-eyed reading your description about you and Danny. Absolutely wonderful give and take of a relationship. And I had to giggle about the music choices. Sounds like my DH and I in the car. He is into listening to NPR...just kill me with a spoon why dontcha? All that monotone talk! Once he puts on classic rock or country (if we can find a station that doesn't play the top 20 over and over and over) I am good to go for quite a few miles along with my knitting.

Lori, wow, you have people "applying" for your sheep? Nice! I loved your description of the carding adventure. It is messy but quit kissing it and you will keep it out of your chapstick. I had to laugh about the dog too. You are both in love with fiber!

Hey, regarding the dyes, I also just love Landscape dyes. I believe they are from Australia. They have some really wild, bright fun colors (now, don't get any ideas Sarita, Miss Wild Colors ) but the Country Classics exhaust in 30 minutes so they are my first choice. I can't remember where I got them as mine are pretty old. I just used up the last of them yesterday.

Sarita, I went to a very interesting talk on wormer resistance at the ASI convention in 2008 by a professor at Univ of Georgia who had done an extensive study on them. It changed the way we deworm. I am not sure I want to post here what we do because our environment is so different from yours or Lori's in Arkansas, and we just do what works for us. I try to keep in mind that the whole world can read this even though we think we're in a little world of our own. We can email about it if you like. I might even be able to find the handout on it and make you a copy...not this week though.

Off I go...gotta get to town before everyone else.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  07:47:22 AM  Show Profile
And Michele, choosing colors....it just depends on my mood and the season. I know I should watch trends but I would rather be spontaneous...it's just the best part of the whole deal is making it come alive with color. I am like Sarita, I must remember to keep it toned down especially when dyeing roving. I am getting better, thank goodness!
Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  08:14:34 AM  Show Profile
Broken record...its raining again, but it is a cool rain with a breeze. The baby lamb is up and going this morning. I think she is out of the woods.
Jami, hope you have lots of sales.
I am going to work upstairs this morning. I have to get a bunch of this wool carded up before I wash anymore. Danny is helping his brother at a construction site this morning so I am on my own. Got some breakfast in him and packed his lunch but told him that he may be home by lunch with the weather report...we will see.
Lori, glad to hear that you are able to sell some of your sheep to good homes. It always saddens me to sell but I know I can't keep them all...I would go broke!
have a good day
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  09:45:46 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sarita I am so happy to hear that the little one is up and doing better - I will still keep the wee one in my prayers.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  9:07:01 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I am so sorry to hear about your lamb! I really want sheep someday, but I know it would break my heart forever to lose a lamb! I don't know how you all do it! I am sorry also to hear about your mom! That is just so wrong, but at least God knows so these people are not getting away with it! I am the same way with some good tunes up loud and work to do! I always turn up the radio when I am st the house working with Gary and it really seems to make the time do by faster! Every so often I take a break form working and dance with Olivia! It's so much fun! I love your new phrase of "rainbow vomit"! I am the same way with colors!

Grace, I hope you weather is warming up for you!

Michele, I tried to pick basic colors so that i could mix them and get different colors! I would get at least red, yellow and blue to start! When I got mine from Earthsong fibers they had an offer where if you bought 10 jars you got 10% off your order, so it was kind of like free shipping! I have to say that it was really hard to just pick out 10!

I have a question for you all..... What is the color does not exhaust after 1/2 hour? Should you keep it in or take it out? I have been taking mine out and then trowing in some more wool and I have gotten some really pretty shades!

I have some great news!!!!! We had a guy come out yesterday and look at the house to give us an estimate for the a/c!!!!! Hopefully we will get a price that Gary's boss will be good with and we can get it put in!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jun 15 2010 9:19:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  9:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Here are some before and after pics of the bathroom and utility room!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  07:37:20 AM  Show Profile
Monica which dye are you talking about - do you mean the Country Classic?? If so the colors will on the most part be done in 1/2 hour but that depends on the heat of the water, the amount of the fiber and the fiber itself. When doing silk it never is all gone that is when I use that dye bath over for something else like wool. Also if you use other agents in the dye bath you will change the rate of which the dye is used such as Synthrapol or even which soaps you use to clean the fleece. Also animals who eat grain will take dyes up at a different rate and even give off different shades. Another point is when dyeing you have to consider the health of the fiber - breakage, illness and such will effect the dye - broken shafts take dye up faster then strong intact shafts...

Hope that helps some - just me two cents. I too have said my house looks like someone threw up color all over the place - you sure wont find that in any decorating book. Have a great day ladies - love to know what you think of my newest blend that I have on the blog - I made over the weekend about a dozen different blends that I am excited about and Tuscan Sunset was the first I got online. Also, there will be two new giveways starting this weekend - stamps and silks - hope you stop in and enter...

Have a great day

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  09:35:01 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. What a long 5 days it's been! I have been working in the garden trying to play catch up it's been so cold and rainy this spring. Today it's raining again and low 50's - not as cold as you, Grace but cold enough for sweatshirts and thick socks. I have to admit I am grateful for the respite as I am physically pooped and the tendonitis in my achilies tendon in my right foot is flaring up so I have a lot of sympathy for you Jami. I can't wait to quit playing in the dirt and get back to playing in the fiber. I need to wash fleeces but the weather has been so iffy that the garden has taken precidence over everything. My cukes are doomed after that hail storm but the zuchinis seem to be rallying. The grass in my flower gardens is two feet tall and I detest messy but it's been too wet to get in there. It's supposed to warm up again by the weekend so we will just have to wait and see....

I hope your lamb is doing better, Sarita. It's so hard to lose animals. You've had a very difficult week.

Congrats Lori on your sheep sales. It's always nice to know they are going to good homes. When I raised Anatolian Shepherd dogs I was very careful about screening potential buyers and making sure they knew what to do and not do when they got them. I want to put in a good word for Paradise Fibers too - they are a fantastic business to deal with.

Monica your new digs looks fantastic. I hope the A/C price comes in at a fantastic price and things march on quickly.

Grace - I really like the colors of the fiber.
The sheep are hanging out up by the gate under the trees trying to stay out of the rain....the new ones are slowly making peace with the group and integrating. They are still a little stand offish with me but are slowly warming up.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  10:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I am using the Country Classic dyes and on some of them they still have some dye in the water after 1/2 hour! Does it matter? The colors seem to be set fine of the wool and I have not had any trouble with any of the yarns I have spun bleeding or anything!

Sheri, Thank you! Hopefully the a/c/ guy will call today!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile
No Worries Monica - like I said there might be many reason for not all of the dye getting used up. As long as the color rinses clear then you might just toss in some more fiber and get a lighter shade or even just back down on your amount of dye.. Are you weighting the fiber and measuring the dye??? Another thing you can do is save that dye water and then another color too it and off you go into making your own recipes... Fun time when we stand in front of the dye pots - MAGIC!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page