grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  11:39:33 AM  Show Profile
My word the sun is shining and it is warm outside... I can not believe it. The goat girls are trying to eat as many dandelions as they can (Great for them and me) the chickens are running after bugs and worms and the dogs are taking a well deserved sun bathing nap... I have been dyeing silk all morning and putting them on racks to dry in the SUN!!! Yep, sun!

I fired up the big carding machine and started some work - I know I should be outside but I am finishing a private order and then life is back to my own. Took some photo's this morning of some fiber I have been working on and hope to post on my Etsy shop - did I mention I am running a FREE SHIPPING for all those who are registered followers on my blog. I hope to also get some wonderful silver jewelry on the shop today or tomorrow. I have a wonderful one of a llama and I also have some of Great Pry's... I even have gone thru my silver buttons and will be parting with some - you know I really have too much..

So today I am so thankful for the sun and warmth - the animals have been wishing for this too and boy are they having fun. Dig out the shades

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  12:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Grace I could not pass up the free shipping so I treated myself to some yarn for my b-day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  1:16:44 PM  Show Profile
What do you gals have against rocks anyhow? They keep the feet worn down on the sheep so you don't have to trim so often.

Guess we are all in cleaning mode either inside or outside, huh? I looked around this morning thinking...sheesh, I gotta get rid of a bunch of more stuff. LOL. I'm an all or nothing kind of girl. We might end up with nuthin' left.

Monica, when moving/new house mode it really seems to hit hard...the clutter and stuff that you don't know what to do with or where to put it. Bet you're having fun working on the new place.

Rae, your weather sounds as crazy as ours...do you gals think it's La Nina or El Nino? Our weather seems weird this year, just off. I like to read too Rae but I need to get rid of some books. Need any? LOL. Bad joke...feeding the addiction and that's just not right of me is it now?

Happy trails until next time.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  3:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I read of sun, warm temps, gardening....and I need a row boat. This weather is CRAZY! It is raining again today. It drizzles and then it pours and then back to drizzles. Tomatoe plants, corn in the garden is turning yellow out in the garden, much like last year. The weather is cool here but we are to hit 90 by the week end.
Ang and Wayne came in on Tuesday and she is keeping busy with the sheep.
I agree about the too many possessions blocks my creativity. I like open spaces and plenty of room. Even though we moved from alots larger home to this small farm house. We gave each child a truck load of furniture and kept much of the furniture that has been in this old house for years. EXCEPT: the big flat screen TV, the computer desk, and all the spinning equipment/looms and the furniture Danny has made. I too love to read and have many books.
Sheri, my heart sunk when I started reading your posts and then I gave out a big thank you Lord for the miracle and the older children. Sometimes when we come so close to losing someone we love, we look at life a little differently and our priorities change. We lost our dear infant daughter, Amy Anne, at 24 days old many years ago but I know with our other children, I knew they were a gift and could be gone in a vapor at anytime, like all our loved ones. Life does deal us lessons everyday. I am thankful that your story turned out so well.
Grace, a cabin sounds nice. Rae, I hope you can get a lot of space for little money. I know what you mean about dreading getting into debt. I hate being in debt, being enslaved by your job, your time...almost like all your decisions are made to pay off the debt.
Got company, later.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Jami, I do like working on the house! I wish we had more done by now because it's starting to warm up! Hopefully we will be able to get the heating and cooling system in soon!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  6:12:50 PM  Show Profile
Getting warm here too, in 80's today, crazy. Sammy, aka Sampson, was really lovely tonight. Just needed lots of hugging and petting. When I was done dogs took over cleaning his ears and licking his neck. They keep all those ears clean on those sheep Yipppeee tomorrow is Friday and only 10 days of school left as of tonight, 9 1/2 actually, not that I keep track

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  08:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Sarita - I am so sorry for your loss - I know it has been a long time but I also know the loss is still there. My arms are around you because I know that loss...
As for all the stuff - when I moved from our huge corporate CEO house to this log home I brought all the things that would help my sons feel like they had not been so up rooted. Things that in their young life they could remember with their father. I hated the big house and the stuff that made the picture of my husbands world. Now that they are grown and gone I do not wish to have all the stuff. The problem is they wish me to hang on to all of it until they have space of desire. Who needs three full set of china when I do not entertain corp big wigs. I have tons of crystal but none of the folks I know feel comfortable using it. I admit I have tons of crafts, fabric, stamps and such that I never have time to get to because I tend my animals and do my fiber business and there just is never enought time in the day or night. I hate working so hard to be basically a warehouse of other folks memories.

So my question of the day is what would you do? How do you stop being the keeper of all?

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  08:50:21 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Grace, quit, give them lovingly options of taking it now or decide what they would like to do with all the memory items in your charge. Life is short, space is limited but your space should be filled with items that are meaningful to you. Things that warm your heart, open your mind to creativity, give you joy.
My mother has a home with glass cabinets to display all of her antique dishes and dolls and she tells me that she does not want to leave them behind when she dies. To each his own!
Will be sending prayers your way.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  09:20:48 AM  Show Profile
I have told my kids here you are, if you don't want it you get rid of it, I don't have the room. Otherwise I have donated it to a second hand store here run through one of the churches.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile
I have had the kids take what they want and have little of their stuff stored anymore. Some of the family pieces are still here but that is fine for now. I like old stuff and treasure a lot of it but my children probably not so when I die - they can do whatever they want with it. I passed on my husbands guitar to my son and all my mothers vintage diamond rings to my daughter and stuff they have admired in the past I sometimes pass on as part of birthday gifts. Most of the small stuff has found other homes. It's not your responsibility to be a repository of someone else's memories or attachments.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  3:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies so much for sharing your thoughts - I really needed to hear that - I am not a overly sentimental person and I worried that maybe I was not plugged in but I agree it is time to let some of this stuff go. I have some incredible items that I loved finding, purchasing and living with but now it is just stuff. As Jami stated I am hearing a new adventure calling and this is the first time I have not had to put everyone else before myself.. It is the first time since I was 17 years old (when I met my husband) and I am blessed to have such wonderful ladies share their thoughts with me - it helps a ton...

Today the sun was out big time but so are the winds... Worked outside as long as I could stand the blowing dirty and pollen so I am back inside with that long to do list. Hope everyone had a great day and I am counting down the days until school is closed for you.. Monica a package is on it's way to you - giggle, giggle with goodies inside.

Again great plans for the weekend??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  5:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Problem here Thinking of trading Nellie and Billy. Billy is fixed so can't do much but give me wool and entertain. Nellie is almost 2 and of course can have babies but the only 2 males I have are her father and brother I don't want to have "special needs" sheep so thinking that might be my best option and then look around to get some more females. Just want some thoughts from you dear ladies that I trust.
Would be trading for some guinea hens and some organic meat, veal.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  9:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Grace I have quite a few years to go before I can tell my kids that I am not hanging onto their stuff, but I honestly would tell the boys that if they want it they need to make arrangements to get it! It's not fair for you to have to keep storing stuff! I can't wait to get the yarns from you!

Rae, I hope everything works out with the sheep!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on May 21 2010 9:16:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  07:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Well Rae I understand your point about the sheep - if Billy has great fleece then I would consider him an easy supply of fleece. As for Nellie and the father again depending on who has the best fleece would determine who goes and stays. However, you could do one year of what is called line breeding but that only should be done if the line is pure and there are no physical defects. How much do you know about that line??? There are tons of information on it and how to successfully go about it but again that would depend on he line. Next question is how easy is it to get good quality sheep and what is the cost? I wish you good luck and keep us in the loop...

Well, the weather guessers are saying we will be 83 today with 64 mild per hour winds - I guess I will not be outside much. It howled all night like a freight train - a nap will be in order today because I can hardly keep my eyes open now...

Have a great day today and keep yourself tied on to something - it is going to be a bumby ride.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  08:01:36 AM  Show Profile
Grace where my grandson got the sheep they only had Romney. They were well taken care of and as far as I know no defects on any of my animals so tell me more, please!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  8:06:01 PM  Show Profile
I imagine Grace is LOST right now and maybe some others too? I am not into this show so I have some spare time here, girls. But I do hope you're having fun watching the mysteries be solved.

I have been in the studio all weekend making scarves from wool and fabric. Planning to sell them at the farmer's market and wherever else I can too. You can check out my blog to see a couple but I've made a bunch more since too.

Rae, I really enjoyed speaking with you yesterday. It made my day, really! Good luck deciding how to breed your little flock. It's like I always say about sheep, 'let's try it and see what happens!' If it's not a good idea, I don't repeat it!

Monica, I got a chance to use the combs. I like how they open up the fibers! Lots quicker than the little flicker thingie that came with my drum carder. I am trying to figure out how to make a sock yarn batt now with some nylon fiber added to the wool. I only want a certain percentage of nylon so I'm thinking it through before I try it in the carder. I need to dye it first anyhow. Anyone ever tried dyeing nylon with wool in the same pot so you get the exact dye lot? I haven't dyed nylon before but I understand it takes the same dyes as wool/protein fibers, so I'm giving it a go with my acid dyes. I would put it in a lingerie bag so the fibers don't mix up too much. I'm all ears.

Sheri, our peppers and tomato plants froze out Friday night when we hadn't expected a frost (and didn't cover them). Back to the nursery and the new plants are staying inside until this cool front is moved on through. Next year, hubby said we're not planting before Memorial Day. This is probably the reason why we don't get ripe tomatoes until it's about to freeze again.

Sarita, hope you're enjoying your family visit!

I'm off to find something to do since I'm a LOST widow tonight. Happy trails.
Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  9:59:15 PM  Show Profile
Jami, I am so glad to hear that you like the combs! I have dyed nylon with kool-aid before, but I am not sure if I have tried wool dyes on it or not! As best as I can remember you use the same dyes! I tried to follow Lost when it first came out and I was the one Lost! I am sorry to hear about your tomato plants!

Hope you are all staying warm tonight! It was a balmy 58 today here in the desert!! I have been freezing all day! Could someone please tell me where the global warming is going on at!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  10:30:00 PM  Show Profile
Chilly day here too. We have had freeze warnings here for the past three nights and another one tonight. I haven't moved my peppers out to harden off yet and my cukes in the pots are HUGE and my zuchini starts are blooming in their pots as well. I did move about 25 tomatoes out about a week and a half ago but I have them in a lean to that I have covered with plastic to keep out the frost. So far, so good but I still have about 40 inside just in case. Whatever I don't use goes to a neighbor. I NEVER set a tomato here before June 1. I cheated it one year by 1 day and got hit by a tornado that took out 5 acres of trees (now my sheep pasture). I grow my plants so huge that they are planted with a post hole digger about 2 ft deep and despite the tornado damage, they still produced about 300 lbs. that year. This cold weather is for the birds - I need some heat.

I never got into the LOST thingie either - a bit too bizarre for me. My daughter is really into it though. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  03:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh Monica we had 88 with about 70+% humidity, not fun at all!!! This morning now it is about 60.

Did not put garden in this weekend and good as really stormed last night and all would have been floating away! Yup sticking to that Memorial Day weekend and later

I do not watch Lost either, I find that I am that enough of the time why watch besides
Was good talking to you too Jami!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Edited by - Old Spirit on May 24 2010 03:22:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  07:48:55 AM  Show Profile
I am off the island now and back at the Funny Farm. My coconut bra and grass skirt are tuck away in the closet for now. So now to the business at hand. Our winds started up again last night and just about blew us to Kansas and we are to have more of the same today - Oh Joy of Joys..

As for the dyeing question - Nylon will take dye at a much different rate then the wool - also it will depend on what finish they have placed on it. Dyeing at the same time will not change the outcome but at least you will have very similar color. If you wish to be really scientific about it you can do a test and time the rate of draw for each one and then you will have a better way to judge. I love working with some forms of Nylon other are a mess. Have fun and remember to have fun.

Sorry to hear that so many are having gardening problems. I must say that is why I have thrown up my hand for this year and decided not to even attempt it other then the few things I will grow on the decks. Right now it just doesn't make sense to throw good money at it when I use so very little and the weather seems hell bent on screwing it all up. I am however growing a bumper crop of dandelions which my goats, chickens and myself are enjoying daily. I do hope that everyone will get thru this with a wonderful bounty.

Rae, the issue of line breeding is how we target traits and bloodlines. I did it for many years with wonderful outcomes with my Icelandic Sheep but those are sheep that we had 12 generations records on and that came from bloodline that could be traced 30 or more years back. I also had over 75 different bloodlines at my farm so when it came time to bred it was always more of a papaerwork thing to make sure all the right folks where with the right people. With your limited numbers you could only do this once and then still would be on the hunt for new blood but that would buy you one year of time to search for the right additions. Also, it depends on if you are showing, papering and planning to be a breeder or if you just want wool and meat in the freezer. Everone has different business and personal plans so that will be up to you. Hope that helps but if you need further info I can go digging in my books to give you more info. Just as a heads up I will be placing on my blog soon - video's and books about sheep, breeding, vet care and shearing. I will be doing some spring cleaning in the lending library I have to clear some space - no pressure just a head's up.

Where doing the count down with you all for those last days of school. Enjoy the day and I will be "Gone with the Wind"

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  09:18:32 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I may have to come visit you so I can warm up! It is about 60 here this morning and I am hoping it get's warmer today! Usually this time of year it's 20-30 degrees warmer! I have to dig out covers for last night!

Grace, So how was the last episode of Lost? I hope it was good! If you do blow away, aim for Arizona and then you can come visit!!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  10:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow - 60, a heat wave!!! It was about 30 here this morning. Not as cold as was predicted which I am thankful for. Hopefully this cold snap hasn't damaged my strawberry crop for the year as they are in full bloom. Pretty hard to cover over 200 plants with wind blowing. I hope our temps finally moderate and the wind quits. I sympathize over the wind issue, Grace. It's been relentless here too and it really gets on my nerves after awhile. There is so much outside work I'd like to be doing but the wind makes it next to impossible.

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  11:06:17 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, The problem is that it's usually in the 80's by this time of year! I was about ready to get the fireplace going yesterday! Hope you weather warms up for you!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Grace, we forged ahead and did some necessities outside this weekend but the wind was cranked up the whole time. We did postpone deworming a few girls who look like they need it and weighing lambs. I agree Sheri...it gets so old. We keep talking about moving out of this wind. It feels like it never stops blowing. We have our place pretty well setup for sheep now and it's hard to think about starting over somewhere with fencing especially.

Grace, laughed at your island comment. :)My hubby actually managed to stay up until the end of it and told me this morning that he was disappointed in the ending.

I wouldn't grow a big garden either if it were just for me. In fact, when you're fighting the wind, the cold and the weeds, at times I wonder why I grow one at all. Sheri, I need a lesson in tomatoes I guess. They are turning red about September and we're are getting cold nights again. Maybe we don't plant them large enough like you said.

Monica, it's odd that you're having the cool weather too. I still wonder about the La Nina/El Nino thing. Then there's Rae living in balmy Minnesota...funny I think of it being cold there. : ) I have 2 sheep from Caledonia, Minnesota and they acted like it was quite hot here the year we got them.

I will do a little experimenting with the rate of absorption on the nylon compared to wool. I hadn't thought of that and it's a good suggestion. You're right that I am not going to be so particular about a lighter hue as long as it's the same color value. Blending with the drum carder should take care of that.

Grace, it's a great idea to sell your sheep books (since you don't need them). I bet some of them are possibly not books on the store shelves and someone will be getting a real treat. I'll try to keep track of your blog. I have a ton of medical word books from my transcription and I plan to do the same thing sometime soon.

I have to go let the horses out on a new pasture. Happy trails until next time.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  6:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Jami tell your husband that he is not the only one who was dissapointed. I think TV land must think we are all so dumb that they can not challenge us to real plot lines - OH Well that is over and now they are going to give us another Vampire show with the plot line of mansion living housewives. That's O.K. if the winds stops I will be outside and if it does not then I am in front of the carding machine...

With semi trucks flipped by the wind, trees pulled up from the roots and buildings falling in on themselves I have to wonder if there is any place that has weather to work with. The wind was so bad that I could not even get my truck door opened once I was inside. I worried about a few of the little goats because they where trying to get to the barn and a couple of times they where lifted off the ground. Once they got inside no one left...

I am so ready for something calmer.. Luckly the metal roof that my son and I worked on stayed put - Happy Dance... Sheri I know that my little brain has been on over ride without any clear thoughts - My neighbor had to shut down is wind turbin because the wind was going too much and risked breaking. Saturday a neighbor lost his windmill in this mess...

I sure hope calmer days are coming. I made me chocolate mousse as a treat tonight for all this wind, doesn't that sound like a good reason for cocolate mousse??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page