kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  3:15:08 PM  Show Profile
Grace, are you having babies now? And how far from Colorado Springs are you? I'll be going back in July for a family reunion then.

Beverly, I know what ya mean about the mucking out of the barns and all. I did some of that today. Sloshed around in the mud and poop. Nice. But I think of all the good veggies it will help to grow! My hubby thinks I'm crazy. I love poop. It's the greatest stuff ever. I use all of ours in the gardens. And I sure have enuf.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 06 2008 4:14:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  3:45:04 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I got your package of wool today! It is absolutely beautiful!!!!! Do you sell whole fleeces? I have to get some more cotton carded and then I will send you some! See, I told you that you were not late and that I am the Queen of being behind!

Luna, as I told Sarita as soon as I get some more cotton carded I will send yours too!

Grace, Stay warm! I showed my hubby all of the silk I am in love with on your etsy site today! I am still keeping my fingers crossed for Christmas! I got my first batch of yarn done on my wheel! Now that I am getting the hang of it, I am falling in love with it even more! I Haven't made it to the guild in a while so I think I am going to have to get a book to help me figure out what I am doing!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  3:55:52 PM  Show Profile
I have to admit that chores in winter are a drag. At least this year the winter has been mild. Last year was the most snow on record. When the snow finally came off the barn roof in one fell sweep it buried my lamb and I thought for sure he was dead. The only reason I knew there was a problem was one of my wethers was trying to dig in the snow on the pile. I ran down the hill to the barn and counted heads and then realized that Roddy was missing. So I waded through snow up to my waist and then dug frantically where Barrick had been only to find just his tail. So with my heart racing I dug with both hands until I could free his head. He was hit from behind and was buried in 5 ft of snow head down. When I finally got his head freed he just started sneezing and then popped up none the worse for it. I can honestly say that it was indeed a miracle that he survived without injury. An hour later he was climbing on the pile totally un-fazed by the whole thing. I wish I could say the same for me!! Talk about your adrenalin rush. I would be happy with a mild winter this year. It was my first winter keeping sheep last year and it was a lulu. I have kept cows over the winter and pigs once (never again as they managed to climb over the fence after a snow storm and we were chasing them down the county road with the truck trying to herd them home again). I always say that we only have three seasons here; ice& snow, mud, and dust.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  7:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Water froze up at the barn Wednesday. Packing water from other barn by the buckets. Winter is here...it is starting to come back to me how relieved I was last Spring when it started greening up. The first snow is so pretty and I get so excited...that last a couple of days. I love to watch the sheep buck and jump and run and play in the first cool winter weather but what do they know???
We have the back ups in place too but the work is lots more time consuming. I won't be looking for lambs until March unless we had a slip up.
Moncia, wow! the mailman must have flown straight to your house. I can't get mail 50 miles from here in 2 days. So glad you liked the wool. I will be selling fleeces in about March, I have several fleeces spoke for but I am going to have some Corredale/ Shetland crosses this year and right now they are looking really good and soft. I have a few spinners that will ask for the same ewe's fleece every year. I like to spin the first fleece or hoggit fleece and save back a couple for myself and then send off 5 or 6 fleeces to a processor to have spun into yarn. Should have over 30 fleeces next Spring to sell. I am just hoping that White Knight is getting his job done...his wool is so soft and hangs in ringlets, if things go right I should have Borderdale fleeces in 2010. (I still get so excited over wool fiber.)
Monica, on the cotton, I would like some uncarded, still in the pod if you have any, I want to save the seeds and try to get them to grow here next summer and also I want to put a few pods in dry flower arrangements...just another texture. Please don't feel like you need to card it. Have you spun any yet? Is it easy to work with?

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2008 :  7:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Sarita,Please keep me in mind for a fleece in spring! I will get a package in the mail Monday! I will have to dig out the bag with the pods in it! I am not sure how many I got, but I can definitely send you some! They are so neat to see! Some are almost completely closed and some are open just a bit and others are bursting open with cotton! The wool is just beautiful!! I finally got my first yarn spun on my wheel and now that I have figured it out some, I am in love with it all over again! I still think I need to get a book! I know I am new at this, but I get so excited over wool fiber!! Somewhere around here they bring sheep down in the winter and I am trying to find out where so that maybe I can get a fleece! I haven't had a chance to spin any yet! I traded with Bonne, Luna, Aunt Jenny and you for wool and I still owe some to you and Luna so when I catch up I will try some! Oh, this is so much fun!! and who knows, maybe some day I will have my own animals!

Sheri, I am so glad your little guy is okay!!!

Monica
famrgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  06:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Grace, do you have power? I think about you every time I carry another bucket of water to the sheep. Monica, sounds like you are having fun. Are you plying your yarn?
Monica, I have some fleeces left from last Spring that has not had anything done to them. They are fleeces that I planned on sending off to have spun for my weaving. They are still unwashed and just as is. Let me know if you are interested in one if you just can't wait till March.
Cold here today. I see the sheep and cows are already up and eating. It is cloudy like it might snow again today. The ground is covered now. Oh boy! Here we go again! I think it shall be a great day to finish putting up Christmas decorations in the house and going to my 80 yr old mother's and getting her Christmas tree up. Ang and I and Mom can just have a party today...3 generations sipping on hot spiced apple cider, playing Christmas music and going through all the ornaments...so many memories..

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  10:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the advice on the wool. I think I might try that!

I can relate to the cold weather chores..it got so cold here this week! I was worried about my hens and will get them some sunflower seeds! I have to haul the water to the animals but started bringing in the water containers from the rabbits and hens at night. Its easier in the morning to take them back if they arent frozen solid.

My lamb is the only one I dont worry too much about..he has the right coat and seems to enjoy the cold. I just move him around the yard so the grass gets cut even!!! I want more but have to build the farm first. I dont think my little yard will hold anymore animals. At night when I take him to the barn(shed) he just follows me like a duckling. Probably cuz thats when he gets his dinner!!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  2:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Oh yeah, we're taking serious advantage of our seasonably warm and dry weather. It's finally getting pretty cold here at night, down into the teens, but there's no snow in sight yet.

Today we got our horse stalls nice and clean and half the corral. We'd have done the other half, but we had too much help from the horses. I've never seen such curious horses. Our TB gelding even took it upon his self to scatter our piles of dry disintegrated horse apples and have a good roll, right with us in the corral.

We even got the ranch horse brushed down today. The farrier was here earlier in the week and we got everybody's feet done, even the gelding. This as a first for him. Last time he got his feet done he was knocked out getting cut, trimmed and shot. Thankfully he doesn't remember that day.

Next we'll start building a mound in the cow pen.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 7 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  2:27:25 PM  Show Profile
Sheri,
I have never had cows ,so what is a mound for? Just wondering?

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  11:46:34 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know either so I looked it up - it was a term I hadn't heard before. A cattle mound applies to feed lots and there are two definitions: The first was for shelter from the wet and muck that accumulates in crowded conditions on feed lots. The second was that it was a build up of waste and mud that causes disease and bacterial problems also on feed lots. I guess that's why it was a new term for me since I don't believe in the feed lot way of raising animals. Anyway that was the two (obviously conflicting) definitions that I could find. If any one else knows a more concise definition I'd love to hear it as well.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  12:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies...

I am finally able to get my arms to work to type on the computer..Been a busy couple of days. Saturday I went into town to pick up supplies and to bring in extra feed for everyone - we are to get several storms in one after another so I wanted to have more then enough to carry me thru December and into the middle of January. Came home with a truck bed full of feed sacks - now I had to get to work. Sack by Sack in the wheelbarrel thru the snow I go. Four hours later and some very limp arms I had all the feed where it belonged - three barns at separte points of the farm. Who needs a gym membership?? I would have those folks come out here and do the rep's we do on the farm and see if they feel the BURN?

No new goat kids yet - the girls have been in a fighting mood with each other for the past three days - had to stand in the barn like a Mom and break up too many fights... After standing there for a while shaking my finger and sending them to their corners, they settled down. I knew the problem is was Peter - they all wanted him to look at her only and so the fights began. Well, too tired to move him so guess what I did this morning. My legs where the only thing working but I finally got him moved across the farm and into his pen but I am letting the two males (Peter and Rett) fight it out today - they have to decide on the pecking order before the next snow which is coming tonight. I know it sounds horrible but otherwise they will waste their energy on figthing instead of staying warm. Llama boy assisted me in moving Peter but when I let them start to duke it out he looked at me like "Mom, get in there - their fighting - No Fighting"!!! Even my Pry Kasha looked at me like
"What in the neck are you doing Mom"? Also, as the temp drops their survival instincts kick in and they will settle themselves. Tough Love....

I have so enjoyed hearing everyone's rountine during our colder season. Saturday we had 52 degrees and today it is at 54 degrees, now the chores was in mud and by tonight when our first wave of cold hits I will be skating again. Sheri that was an incredible story and I am so glad you guy turned out to be O.K.
I know that rush and I am sure each time something like that happens it takes at least five years off me - I think I am oweing the universe....

Monica I am excited for your spinning and tell hubby that if he drags his feet it wont get there in time for Christmas.

Marcy I found another way to keep those chickens warm is I soak lentails and peas in warm water, let them just start to sprout and then the girls get that for their dinner - sprouting them gives them more food and energy value and seems to help them with their winter laying..

Sarita - I too think of all the gals I know who are hauling buckets and I also remind myself of those folks in places like Africa who haul water every day 20 or 30 miles and it is not even good water. When I lose power it is something that always runs thru my brain - I try at those trying times to remember how blessed I am and to not make such a big deal about it. I also each time learn a better way to deal with something and so over time I have really streamlined the rountine. I will be thinking of you all when I haul my buckets too!

Stay warm and safe

Kristin I am I think around 50 miles or so North of Colorado Springs but I guess it would depend on where in Colorado Springs
you talking about... I am horrible on knowing mileage.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  1:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
We have only one cow and her heifer calf. All our animals are raised in paneled enclosures as the rest of our acreage is open desert. Unfortunately our place didn't come with perimeter fencing.

Basically the cow/calf combo has two pens. One is 16 x 16 and includes an 8 x 8 three-sided shelter and their water barrel.

The second pen (which is open to the first all the time) is not quite square, but is 26 x 32 x 18 x 36. What we're going to so is scrape all their manure into a pile that will be about 2 feet high. We've found they like to climb up on them. The sun warms the mound faster than the surrounding ground, and also drains nicely.

Our humidity is quite low here and the desert drains nicely, but the weight of the cow on the desert sand, combined with manure/urine tends to destroy the underlying playa (that's a hard surface just a few inches below the soft sandy surface), which in turn begins to act like really silty, sticky mud.

Around here, unless the cows are turned out to huge pastures (really alfalfa fields) then the cows prefer to climb the mounds for warmth and dryness.

Shari Thomas

From the "middle of nowhere" Beryl, Utah. Our farm is nearly complete with 3 horses, 7 ewes, a cow and heifer calf, 19 chickens, 5 dogs and four country gals. I blog about it at http://sharithomas.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  6:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Shari, the mound idea is a good idea. I see them in pastures around here but never knew the reason for them. We have so many hills here that our cows just move from the lower areas to the higher areas.

Edited by - Keeper of the Past on Dec 07 2008 6:20:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  6:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I was getting worried about you. Sounds like you put in one big day and the next day the old body usually complains more and louder. But don't you always feel good when you know you have all the bases covered and you can survive? I think we could survive for a month or two on what we keep on hand...probably longer but need milk and eggs. I am thinking about having them deliver me a couple of tons of sheep feed, it is cheaper that way and they deliver.
The temp went up a little today but the wind was whipping everything in site. I poured water in the girl's watering tank and it would freeze up before they would get it all drank. I guess I am going to need get the heated waterers going now. I hate to run the cords all over the place. Back to work tomorrow and they are giving wet/snow for us on Monday night and Tuesday. I'm thankful that our school shuts down if the roads get icy or too much snow. I don't like driving on these hills and curves when the roads get bad. Our lights and telephone go out when we get the rain and ice. Candles, kenosene stove, and flashlights are ready! It brings out the pioneer spirit in me. (But that spirit just doesn't tolerate long bouts of primitive living.)

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2008 :  7:13:12 PM  Show Profile
Sarita - I with you I love the feeling of getting a good days work in and then I can sit back when the snow gets high and know that everyone has what they need. As for the eggs - my hens give me that and the milk well I found some that are in boxes, real milk not soy or such and it tastes great! So I have a dozen in the pantry so I know I can always have milk. During the winter when I do go into town I purchase four gallons and that way I have it for my oatmeal, custards and whatever my heart desires. I also have two boxes of powder milk and then their is the goat's milk....

As for the animals the two feed stores who would deliver unpackaged feed closed their doors, one will not deliver anything and the other one only has bagged feed and his prices are rising daily. He still owes me almost a ton of hay that he sold out from under me while he was getting his truck fixed - long story needless to say we are scrapping the bottom. Most of the folks around here have sold their animals so I can not even get a co-op together. Enough of that - we are all tucked in for the night and awaiting the snow...

Was thinking of doing some holiday baking tonight but I better get busy and fill my customer orders first. Night all...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  09:22:19 AM  Show Profile
We are on a snow weather alert and are suppose to get some tonight and some more tomorrow and we already have about a foot out there. so we are all set for it. I drink powdered milk so I always have that in the house and the hens are still giving a couple of eggs a day so we still have those too. we shop for a month at a time so we are pretty well set till after Christmas. So I am going to enjoy some knitting today. and hot cocoa!!!! Stay warm and safe everyone.!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  12:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I think my hens are a bit confused..I have found 4 eggs in the last week but by the time I get to them they are frozen. I'm going to get some beans and soak them but I am not really expecting any eggs. This is my second year for hens and all but two are not even a year old. I didnt get any when it got cold last year so I was suprised this week!!!

Beverly where it Atlanta? I was raised in Flint, but never heard of it. We are getting the rain from your snow!! Bundle up and enjoy the knitting!!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2008 :  3:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Marcy jo,
Atlanta is right on the middle between gaylord and alpena. We are about 2 hours from flint. I keep putting logs on the fire, so I am toasty warm!!!

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  12:52:22 PM  Show Profile
Marcy I think sometimes my hens are so pea brained - With all the cold and snow we had here I have two hens who keep putting their eggs everywhere in the hen house except in their nests... It is like an Easter Egg hunt every morning. I have one who has decided to lay her egg while sitting on the top rung of the roost and the egg drops about three feet - some days it is perfectly O.K. and others well, scrambled egg... Who knows what is going on in those pretty little heads???

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  10:40:30 AM  Show Profile
I had an inquire from another MJ farmgal and I was hopeing you might be able to assist...

Does anyone have a source for shearling slippers?? Now she is not wishing to purchase the LLBean or Lands End slippers - rather she would like them to come from an actual farm or artisian... Any thoughts ladies???

Thanks

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  1:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Ok I Have a question for everyone. Her in michigan my goats get lice in the winter. I have that new nigerian/ angora mix and I was going to either give the 2 goats I have this year a shot of ivomec or put on some zipdust like I had to do last year because I had pregnant goats and could not use ivomec. I have not seen any lice this year yet but just thought I would be more proactive. anyway, my question is because I want to use her angora fur for spinning and or crafts and I know I will be washing it and stuff but what do any of you guys use on your goats when you want to use their fur for yarn? Do you give the ivomec or use the Zipdust and then just wash the fur well or use something else entirely? Need some suggestions. My doe is not pregnant so this year that is not a concern so far but she could get bred this month since she is in with the male....

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  09:09:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beverly

Sorry it took a little to get back we are in the middle of another storm and babies..... Wonderful goat babies!!!

I must admit my goats have never had lice - I know it is a big issue in certain parts of the country. Once thing I do when I ever purchase any type of raw fiber is place it in a clean plastic bag and then put it into my deep freezer on the shelf that is made for quick freeze. It spend about three days in there and then when I get ready to wash it I use my farm made special fleece soap and then I add about 1/4 cup of Order Ban. I fill the pot with room temp water and them bring the fiber up to a boil on the stove and then I go from there depending on what I am going to do with the fiber.

As for a topical product to place on your goats I will have to do some digging around for a recipe. I do not give any shots here so I wont comment on that issue - I promise I will look for some herbal rememdy for you - just let me get thru this storm first - O.K.?

Stay warm all

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  11:31:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh that sounds wonderful if you could give me some herbal stuff. I am in no hurry cause like I said I have not seen them on them yet this year so that is not an issue at the present time. What is order ban? I have never heard of this? you get through the storm and give hugs to all those goat babies.!!!!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2008 :  4:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I hope you have some pictures when you are able to post them I'd love to see the kids.

I just saw on the news ya'll are gettin' it there. Stay warm. We're supposed to be in the 60's and low 70's here this next week!!!! But with a little rain here and there.

Kris
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  07:31:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kris

We had another little boy Sunday at 2:30 pm the temp was so cold I was really worried. We hit -29 and today if we get to -19 we will be lucky. Still have five girls to go and today I will be spending the day just trying to keep everyone warm.. I wished I could send pictures but with the cold my 12 year old camera just will not work..
It was so cold that the chain on one of the gate broke... It even hurts to blink...

Stay warm all.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page