Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  12:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Boy the wind is cold today! I got the cattle panel rasseled down there and stapled to the doorway and the sheep penned up. Whew! Actually it went pretty easily. Angel can be so spooky and she just gets the rest of them going. She may be named Angel for her color but it doesn't match her personality. She was named by the breeders kids. Now they are just staring balefully at me out the gate. They are used to being loose out in the field.

I'm with you, Grace. I'm off to a nice hot bath to thaw out.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

Edited by - Sheep Mom 2 on Apr 28 2010 12:44:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  4:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Rae, I tried to put the steps for washing wool on my blog...see if that helps. I rushed around to get that on the other day for someone else, I will try to be more educational with pictures later. Sheep are yelling at me...CHORE TIME! then a hot shower.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  4:44:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace for those helpful hints. I did try using sissors a bit last year, in those hard to shear, wet matty areas. I will have to sharpen up my fiskars and give it a try. We have had pretty nice weather here lately. Hoping for more rain on Friday, as we need it. Got a field of oats to rock pick yet. Had a hard frost last night, 25* this am. The only thing it seemed to hurt was bleeding hearts. Got rhubarb going like crazy.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  5:47:12 PM  Show Profile
I love using the Fiskar with a Teflon coating - it glides thru all types of fleeces even those with terrible problems. I purchase them at sewing stores for I think about $15.00 they give me two good years and then I use them for other things around the shop and after four years then I use them outside to cut bale string and such. I also love that the handle holes are so big I can shear with cotton gloves on in chilly weather... I also have the real sheep shears but those have very sharp points and can really hurt someone if the animal jumps.

Rhubard - I am wishing that was in my yard - I love it... I was excited because out of the snow I saw a dandelion....

Hope all had a productive day - I have everyone tucked in for the storm that starts tonight - hopefully it wont be too bad because all of my long johns are drying on the rack in the basement...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  04:00:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey farmgirls,
Grace, I sure hope that snow stops! I had a great adventure yesterday! Alpacas. Wow, what beautiful fiber. I have made a new friend who is a retired teacher. She spins, weaves felts and farms what a lady. She is going to take me places to meet people my favorite thing!
As for my sheep, I had a frustrating day!! Skittles my daugthers 4H ewe is due in a couple of weeks and she has a prolapsed bum. She is a little on the heavy side so I thought I will put her in a lambing pen and cut back on the hay etc. Well, she didn't like that at all and cleared the pen and took off on me.
With little patience left, I put her back in the barn on the other side with a large pen. Got my 11/16 wrench lowered the feed bar so she couldn't crawl out. I moved the other 4H ewe over to keep her company and at grain time(which they didn't get any) Skittles went over the bar and Maggie went under. I am not a cusser by anymeans, but I think a few words flew out!
Went to the local agriservices bought 2 8 ft panels and they are locked in for good.
Went home had a glass of wine and simmered.
Love those sheep!
God Bless
Barb
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  04:12:10 AM  Show Profile
I am so tired of wrestling goat heads back through the net wire! When will they ever learn? And Molly has taken to being an escape artist again. She either finds or makes a hole so she can get out. Last year, she and her cohorts ate everything in my flowerbeds, all the leaves they could reach on the trees, and my peony bush! I have 10 blooms waiting to burst on the bush this year, and I am praying she doesn't get it again!

I have a question about the guardian dog puppies. Is it okay to love on them? We have been told now that we should ignore them completely so they will not bond with us. They are in a chain link pen in the sheep pasture, not up at the house. I really need them to be good guard dogs, the local coyote pack is apparently growing and getting more brave, but I want dogs that we can be around and that will listen. Any of you have advice?

We let the puppies out last night to let them sniff around the sheep and Angel, our oldest sheep attacked both of them! It looked like a mad bull after a cowboy at a rodeo. Scared those poor babies to death. The rest of the sheep were fine with them and they bumped noses with most of them before they got scared.

I am going to my first fiber show this weekend. I am nervous and excited at the same time. I wanted to get some of my own fiber washed to take, but God hasn't granted me those extra hours I have been praying for!

I am like you guys. I love doing things the old fashioned way. Those people that gripe about a little vm in their fleece probably haven't had to touch half the stuff we farmgirls have been up to our elbows in on a regular basis! My husband and I both think we were born just a few years too late. Now days, when I tell people we have sheep and that I spin, they look at me like I just grew horns. I love to sew my own clothes, knit, cook, I LOVE to cook, spin, garden, and kiss noses of all the livestock! In fact, Gus, the baby donkey, has got to where he sticks his nose up in the air to be kissed! I wish I could be home all day long to do these things.

You guys have a wonderful day!

Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  05:03:50 AM  Show Profile
Sarita I enjoyed your blog, all the lamb pictures! And grandkids too. Loved the way you dyed your yarn in the muffin pan. Turned out really neat.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  07:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele. Lori, my sheep were rough with my puppies when they were first put in the pen with them. I tried to put up a panel so the pups could crawl under to get away from the ewes and to eat and for protection and as the pups grew, the ewes adjusted. I pet and love on my dogs but I do it in their lot with their sheep. Also, you should put collars on your pups or it will be very hard to get the collars on them later. I had to go to the vet to get some meds to knock them out so that I could take them to the vet to have surgery so we did not have puppies.
Our dogs have grew up with the sheep and sometimes an old ewe doesn't want them around her lambs and she will back up and hit them and the dog growls or snaps at the ewe but never hurts them. I was also concerned this first year how the dogs would react to having lambs being born and if they would cause the ewe to be nervous and have trouble lambing. I put them in a pen and let them out when I was home to watch them to see their actions...they did fine.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  08:01:48 AM  Show Profile
Training LGD is tricky everyone has thoughts on it - it is like teaching kids - every kid is different and so are the parents. I have Chief who is now 7 years old in with my goat girls for all of his life. He loves them and me. He assists at times when multiple kids are born, licking, keeping them close and watching, always watching for predators. The issue with Great Pry's are they are driven and smart. You need them to want to listen to you because trust me there is nothing worse then chasing a pry thru the country side when it is going after a predator. Sophie hates being in with small animals and would rather keep the farm safe from two and four legged intruders. You never wish to come up against her when you are not invited on the farm. A smart LGD knows that it is to watch over it's charge but it also knows that you are in charge. My Kasha who is 10 now runs the farm, this pry is more then smart. She can bring in my large llamas, herd up the chickens and put them in their coop but also will attack humans on my command. Yes, the dogs need to know who to watch but you also must have control with them. I agree get a collar on them now. Also you must let the head sheep test out and explain the order in the barn to the pup's. Those roles get defined thru head butting, barks, nips and such just do not let either side be alone for the first month. Just because you have a LGD does not mean you have a workable one. Far too many Alpaca owners when they first get started just leave the dog alone with their animals because they read that somewhere - soon once they are bigger we had folks calling vet's because the dog would injury a baby, get aggressive and bite when not listened too and worse. Dogs where killed and life was horrible. So please keep an eye on the pup's until you are 100% sure of what is going on.

I am excited for your new additions and also for your show your going to - please tell us all about when you can...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  08:30:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice! I LOVE this forum!!

I just couldn't see how ignoring the dogs completely was going to work! My thoughts were along the same line - if they don't grow up knowing to listen to us, knowing that we are in charge, it would be like having a wild barn cats protecting our sheep. We have an adult shepherd mix that we rescued. She was running down the side of the highway, skinny as you could ever imagine. We love this dog. She is very protective of us, and lets our kids love all over her - she apparently thinks my 9 year old son is a litter mate - you should see them play. She gets rough and tumble with the tiny dauschund, but never hurts him. But she hates the livestock. Chases the horse and cattle, growls and snaps at the sheep and goats and hunts for holes in the fence if she gets away from us. Praise the Lord for net wire. She hates our outside alpha female cattle dog. I have broke up several fights between them. She chases deer for hours before she comes home. Goes completely deaf when we try to get her to come back. Thankfully she has only gotten away from us 3 or 4 times. She has to live in the house because of her behavior and for the safety of the livestock. This is exactly the kind of behavior I was afraid would happen if we left those puppies to raise themselves. I want them to understand their place is with the sheep, but that we are in charge! I will certainly listen to all of the info you two have given me!

Thanks for the advice! I LOVE this forum!!

Lori

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  09:15:31 AM  Show Profile
I hope everyone is staying warm today! It is only 48 here this morning! This weather has been completely crazy! Monday it was hot and now it's cold and cloudy! I am getting tired of putting the comforter away and then having to drag it back out again!!!!! I wish this weather would make up it's mind!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  09:52:12 AM  Show Profile
I am with you Monica - 68 sunshine degrees with wind at 62 miles an hour. Sure was eating up those horrible snow drifts. Today, the high might reach 40 but is it foggy, cold and Yes, snowing... I would just like sometime to take the hat off my head. My ears will never get warm. Today is Italian Wedding Soup with Garlic Bread for Lunch - for some reason I am cold to the bone.

Sat and spun for about three hours last night - it is a interesting roving - Black CVM Wool, White Shetland lamb and Angora Bunny. Is was process by a new mill to me. The singles so far have a real organic feel - tiny lumpys and bumps. I think when it is plied on itself it will really come alive. Hope to finish some tonight and then post this weekend on my blog. The prep work and carding needs a bit of work but like I said this is a new mill and I think they just need a bit more time. I finished dyeing the silk last night - wonderful tropical colors - I have something in my mind for it hope it works.

Stay warm ladies and break out the long johns - Old Man Winter is still wanting to give it to us...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:01:28 AM  Show Profile
Grace, This weather is starting to drive me nuts!!

I made a batt last night with some of Sugar's fiber and some of the dyed kid mohair that I got from you and I think it's going to be a hard one to sell! It also has some very soft Romney and some bamboo in it! It came out so super soft! I just love the mohair locks! They are like a little bit of heaven! I have to say though, I did find some VM in it!Sorry just had to be ornery!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Lori, for the dog that you have to keep in the house, will it play with a squeak toy? We have a wirehair border terrier and he ignores us until we squeak one of his toys and he will go over a mountain to get to the squeak...bless the squeak toys or Steiner would be gone who knows where. I have a squeak toy in my outside jacket, in the truck, by the back door...he has a one track mind and squeaking is the only thing that will get his attention...
He loves to ride in the truck when we do a town trip and he even gets in the back seat to check out what is in the bags and he is not after food, he is seeing if we got him a new squeak town. He also likes to play soccer. I have threatened to take him to a YMCA little kids soccer meet and accidently let him loose to play with the kids. He takes his chest and pushes the ball and will bump it and cut and dive to keep anyone from getting to his ball.

I have 3 large boxes packed tightly with washed wool to go to the processor. 5 fleeces. Hopefully I can get home in time to get it sent off today...post office closes before I get home from work. I carded on a fleece last night from a Shetland/BL cross. Stable is 8-10 inches long...it is a medium with some luster almost like a silk. I am going to spin needlework yarn (a very thin 2 ply) with it so I will have lots of fun with the dye pot as soon as I sketch out a picture of my next project and know the colors that I need. I enjoy knitting and felting coin purses and sewing on the hinged clasp and doing embroidery and beading on the little purse. Quick, easy, satisfies the urge to make something and the little purses turn out so cute. I gave all the little girls in the church one of these little purses a few years ago (remember it is a very small church) and the little girls are now older and still ask me if I will make them another purse...(time...I need more time.)
Grace I will take the wind blowing like a manchie, sun shining, in the 70's and I am down to a short sleeve scrubs today. I plan to plant some more corn tonight if the garden dries out enough today. Grace, the property close to us is still for sale!
I go out to feed the baby bottle lambs every morning and I am just in awe how much the lambs grow over night.
Lori, Grace is right about each dog having their own personality. My girls can get rough when they are playing and I have to come down on them. The other night when I was doing a barn check, they got excited I was there and they went from ewe to ewe, wagging their tail and licking them on the face, lie they were telling them to get up, she's here to see us, talk about some old girls pretty ticked off. I could actually hear the ewes snoring before the dogs decided to wake them up.
Never a dull moment or enough hours in a day on the Spinning C.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I LOVE all of the pics of the baby lambs on your blog!! If I win the lottery I might just buy the farm by you! I really want to have my own sheep someday!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  2:45:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls:
Spent the last hour reading the posts I've missed since I was on last. Now I don't have time to write much. : )

I'll be back later when I have more time. Duties call...and call...and call. I think I should get an unlisted number! : )
Keep on keepin' on.
Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  7:27:26 PM  Show Profile
Miss your post Jami. But glad life is keeping you busy!
Monica, the ranch down the road is just waiting for a buyer with lots of money. You could have a big bunch of sheep, cows, chickens, etc...plenty of room.
Time to feed the bottle lambs, they are playing with the other babies tonight...so cute!
Later
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  10:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I guess I will have to start buying lottery tickets!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  04:28:40 AM  Show Profile
Monica a place not far from me is for sale too!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:35:01 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I don't think I could ever convince Gary to move North!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  4:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh but tell Gary there are such fun challenges

We are getting real rain right now and it is good. Everything is turning bright green and smiling outside!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  4:50:05 PM  Show Profile
I really do miss grass! I think I would rather have snow and grass than no snow and no grass!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  5:07:54 PM  Show Profile
Monica has told me over and over the Gary just will not go where we have snow. Today we have wonderful green grass, wild ducks in the pond and this afternoon we started with rain, then snow the clear skies all in about an hour..... Colorado - got to love it????

I saw a special the other day about Tasmania - WOW I want to go there - wonderful fruits, veggies, livestock and a simple way of walking in the world that sounds just what I am looking for. No GMO food, folks love and life for the land and their animals and they love handcrafts. My husband would call me a Tasmanian Devil when I got started on something so see maybe I was to be there???

Did I tell you I have a wild turkey family?? We have had them before but this group came under the front gates and was walking around in front of the shop. I tried to take a picture but Llama Boy decided they did not belong so he chased them off while I was running for the camera but tomorrow I will try again. So cute - about 7 to 9 babies.... Way cute.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  6:04:35 PM  Show Profile
The sheep FINALLY got sheared!! They have been locked in since wednesday to stay dry with all this rainy weather we've been having. Needless to say they were NOT happy campers with all the fresh new grass growing everywhere. Now they are happily naked and munching to their hearts content.

It must be a good year for wild turkeys as I have a flock too. I can hear them gobbling in the early mornings. That and owls - I have been having owl conversations of late too. I like having them around as they thin out the gopher population that plague the gardens.

Any more idea of when you will get to move, Monica? Hope everyone had a good day. Gotta go and punch down the bread dough before it runs over the top of the bowl.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  9:54:41 PM  Show Profile
Grace, If you ever move to Tasmania then you MUST come visit me first because there is a much better chance of me making it to Colorado than Tasmania!! You ought to look up the documentary called Food Inc. I saw it on PBS World the other day and it's unbelievable! Michael Pollan was in it!

Sheri, I am not sure what is going on with the house at this point, but I told Gary today that even if Steve backs out I am still moving in!!haha!! Oh how I wish I had some sheep!!!!! Someday hopefully!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on May 01 2010 10:36:43 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page