Page: of 157

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  5:22:02 PM  Show Profile
MN has the Shepherd's Harvest: Sheep and Wool Festival, also on the fair grounds will be Llama Magic and MN Meat Goat Producers. It is May 8 and 9. The web site is www.shepherdsharvestfestival.org
We have never gone but hope to this year to check it out.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:31:52 PM  Show Profile
The top shows that I have been a vendor at for many years where - Taos Wool Festival, Estes Park Wool Festival, Paigosa Wool Festival, Rehinbeck Wool Show, Black Sheep Wool Festival and then there is all the different National Llama, Alpaca and Sheep Shows that we would show in year after year. I also for many years had booths at two farmers markets weekly and then about two dozen holiday shows. I am so over traveling it is not funny but I am still keep an eye out as to what is out there so I THANK you all for sharing your info.

Isarah thank you for sharing your information and you are the second person this week who has talked about the PhatFiber group. I have been reading about it and might consider it - I am not clear on all the points and am not sure if it would be a fit for my items but I will be doing more research on it. I understand your sales increased but do you think it will bring repeat customers? I have had increased overseas sales which where big orders - Norway is my hot country right now - two months ago it was the Nertherlands and before that Argentina - not sure why but they seem to have money to spend and spend they do -- Which is greatly appreciated seeing how my hay bills keep going up.

Well, hope everyone has great sales and calm weather. We have had a white out all day - snow up to my butt and still coming down with horrible winds. Blizzard warning and livestock warning for us tonight so it is a hot cup of tea, warm long johns to bed and tons of shoveling in the morning...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  05:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Rae, I am hoping to make it to Shephards Harvest this year. Never been there before. Hoping to go on Sat. depending on whats going on here. Grace I wish you luck with your snow again.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  07:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear you are getting snow again, Grace. It's cooled down here again too but not that cold. But rain. My sheep didnt get sheared due to rain. Scheduled for next Friday. I could sure use a prayer or two for good weather, girls...those sheep are miserable.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I'm back to transplanting again.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  11:44:26 AM  Show Profile
STILL SNOWING - I have close to three feet here not counting the drifts - broke out the snow shoes but that still was not much help. Got everyone feed and watered but the wind was so strong it picked my right off my feet and down into the snow. I looked like a turtle trying to upright myself - yes, I forgot to bring my pole. Went back and got that so I would not be found frozen on my back in a drift.

Not sure what went on in the girls barn but when I arrived, Ebony was in the corner with a broken horn. Blood all down her face and shaking. I got the vet kit, washed her clean, placed blood stop on the horn and gave her Rescue Remedy and some sugar water. Sat with her while she ate and made sure she was doing fine.

Never a dull moment here - Oh, how I wished I was out there planting with you Sheri transplanting sounds wonderful.

I hope you gals get to go to the show this year - you will have to tell us all about it. I have not heard of that show but always love living thru other folks adventures...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  7:16:02 PM  Show Profile
Grace - weird to think about snow this time of year, we have been having 80 degree days (record highs) in Michigan lately. My Chinese cabbage plants have bolted already.

You must be tired of winter.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Apr 24 2010 7:17:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  10:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I will say a prayer that it stops snowing at your place! It was in the mid 70's here today!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  05:28:46 AM  Show Profile
Grace how are you this morning? You sure have had the weather this year! Ours was strange in the opposite direction, very little snow compared to what we usually have. We finally got some rain yesterday, nice slow stuff all day so could soak in. The grass and trees are singing today

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  07:11:29 AM  Show Profile
I hope all is well in your neck of the woods Grace and that your snow has finally quit. Sarita - I hope all the heavy duty storms have missed you. It's sunny here this morning but cold - lots of frost.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  07:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Grace! I can't imagine what it is like to live in your area. Here in Ontario we are getting such opposite weather. Where ususally there is still snow in the ditches and bush lines we are crying for rain. We got most of our corn planted but are waiting on some seed. Today finally we are getting a very nice rain hopefully it will keep up all day.

I will be praying that the snow stops for you. My grandma always said that a good coat of snow is a coat of fertiler in the spring! I still don't like the look of white manure in the spring. I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday!
God Bless.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  09:09:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - the snow stopped at about 6:30 in the evening. I snow shoed down to the mail box because I could see with the binoculars that the door was open and the snow was flying into it. The snow was up to the side windows on the truck so I will need Mother Nature and the Sun to dig out of this one. The weather guessers are saying I might get another one on Monday - let's hope not...

I keeping saying - it will be good for the dry dirt, but I tell you my legs feel like rubber. Snow shoeing is fun but also alot of work when you have the area to cover like I do... But at least that means a larger slice of Anglefood Cake for dinner.

I love hearing about all your planting - None going on here but it all balances out - Have a great Sunday and I will check in later. Snow Ball Fight Anyone??

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  10:34:12 AM  Show Profile
I'll throw the first one. It will be virtual so it won't be as cold or hurt as much. Glad to hear it stopped for now. I'm so glad that it rained today. I get a chance to rest, though, my house could use a little TLC. Oh well, it will happen. So nice to be able to catch up and chat.

I do have a question. Where do you guys get your carding paddles and wheels etc. I had to give mine back to the quild because my classes are done and now I have 4 fleeces that I would love to start with.

The teacher told us, to wash the fleece, I could put it into my washing machine on delicate with woolite. How do you do it? My fingers are itching to do something.

I am going to have to come on here more often. Too many questions at once. Sorry.

Barb
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  1:41:18 PM  Show Profile
Barb, we will be glad to help but do not put your wool in your wash machine with woolite, it will be a mess. Let me see if I can find an older post and direct you to it. Back to you shortly.
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  2:49:08 PM  Show Profile
I believe that you all jumped in to help me with skirting and washing advice on page 24. I don't know what type of sewer system you have, but I wouldn't want to put all that grease down my drain field. I use the regular blue Dawn dishwashing liquid to wash mine and it works well.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  3:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Long day yesterday. A friend of ours that has sheep in Missouri told us about a litter of puppies that a friend of her had. She already has 2 wonderful guardians from a previous litter out of the same dogs. So off we went on a road trip! Left at 7:15 yesterday morning and got home at 8:30 last night. The puppies are beautiful! They are pyranees komondor mix. (Hope I spelled those right. I tell my students that I teach public speaking, so I teach them how to say a word, not spell it!)

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  3:24:23 PM  Show Profile
I would say look on line for a store that is close to you because shipping to Canada can get expensive. If you do not have a local store then some of the really big fiber stores gives you free shipping with a certain purchase amount. Sometimes you also might get lucky with places such as Craiglist. Handcarders also are a plenty if you have a fiber festival coming up soon.

As for washing those sheep fleeces - the lanolin varies depending on the breed - what breed do you have there? Some like my Icelandic require very little washing but a Merino is three to four washing and rinses. Also to save work make sure you really have a skirted fleece - it is very time consuming and sometimes a waste of time to get hopeless fleece washed. I make my own soap to wash fleeces in but Dawn is a great one. If you do not wish your lanolin filled water to go down the drains you can easily get a mesh screen and place it over a tub, pour the wet fleece over the screen then take that soapy water on pour it on your driveway or other place where it will not harm plants or animals. That is why I use my own soap because it will not do any harm. Other folks I know will grab the fleece out of the hot water and rinse it - while the hot soapy lanolin water cools completely and they can skim the cold water to gather up most of the soap/lanolin like you would fat in a soup. Then they throw that out with the trash. It will all depend on you sewage system.

So if page 24 does not provide enough information we will gladly get more details to you. Hope your fingers are getting into those fleeces soon.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  3:37:48 PM  Show Profile
You are all so helpful. Thank you so much. I grabbed some of the fleece and am just trying small amounts. I have a natural unscented dishsoap that I use. As for our septic system, it is good. I will do some reading and if there is anything else that I need to know, I will be back.
Thanks again so much!
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  4:29:20 PM  Show Profile
Barb, I tried to give you the steps on my blog...got a new lap top and I have a terrible time trying to get my pictures moved with this finger pad...I really plan to get some good pictures up when the sun decides to shine again here in Missouri....we have gotten 3.5 inches and still getting light showers and heavy ones still predicted. The garden is growing, I can see from my kitchen window, lettuce, radish, potatos and my new strawberry bed.
Lori, did you get a new GD?

Sarita in the cloudy and wet Northern Missouri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Grace I saw pictures of CO on Fox news showing all your snow!!!

Got a few seeds planted indoors today, need to do another tray but will give this one a few days in case some stuff doesn't start to come up. Plan to plant lots of carrots and sheep sure love those as well as the greens. Course coming to the conclusion they like anything

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:18:38 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your thoughts of skirting and washing wool. I just read thru them. I am pleased to say I have been doing it like you all write. Yaaaa, I did something right :) I do know I will be alot more aggressive this year with skirting. The first year I thought, well I can't waste all that wool. Believe me I learned, that some is just worth wasting!! One of these days we have to get my two sheep sheared. That is a major job to us! The sheep enjoy it, but we are just too slow. Takes almost an hour for each one. Told you we were slow!
The first year I had my sheep, I was able to get a shearer to stop by. He had a bottom blade on his clippers that looked more like wire fingers then the regular shearing blades. Has anyone seen this before? I thought they would be nicer to have, and maybe have less nicks. We end up with maybe 3-4 nicks, and I feel bad. Maybe they were some kind of guard??

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I know what you mean about the nicks, I just cringe when the shearer nicks one of my sheep. I just want to cry. I had one shearer that didn't act like he cared if he nicked one or not and he didn't come back. He told me up front the day before he started shearing that he didn't like to shear for a spinner...I told him when he was done that he shouldn't ever shear for a spinner because I had so many nicks to treat and my wool was full of second cuts. I ache thinking he goes to New Mexico every year and shears/nicks thousands of poor helpless sheep. I think it would be cruel for a sheep not to shear them. They kick up their heels and act so happy after having their heavy coat taken off but I think it should be done without skinning them. (Can you tell...I get angry everytime I remember that guy nicking up my sheep?)
Ebby one of my shetland ewes had a black baby girl this morning. (Ebby was a bottle lamb that lost her mother after the rough delivery of twins.) Ebby has the black face and legs and a cream body. I think I shall call Ebby's baby ?????? any ideas?
Michele, I found myself thinking I could or should not waste any of my precious wool and I got worse when I read a story that knitted wool socks for the fisherman on an island in the Northeast and she would take the very fine belly wool and knit herself beautiful lacey knee high hose. I kept the belly wool one year and tried to get all of the vm out of it so that I could spin a very fine yarn to make lacey socks....that belly wool went bye-bye the first day that I worked on it. But I wasted a day washing it, time trying to pick and card it and trashed it during the carding phase. Live and Learn or get more patience!
Grace, hope you have some warm weather and can see Spring before long. Sheri, it will dry out before long and shearing will happen.
Rae, are you getting any of this rain?

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:59:24 PM  Show Profile
Paradise Fibers ships orders over $50 for free in the states, I'm not sure about to Canada. They are on line, you might check them out.

Hope everyone had a productive day. I went over to my friends house to collect plastic pots for my transplants - she is the one that gifted me the greenhouse and she gave me lots of small pots which I really needed. Because our weather is so iffy in the spring, I hold my transplants a long time so they get too cramped in ponys and I don't like them to get that stressed. Tomorrow I am back to working on potting up the grape tomatoes into larger pots they are almost 2 ft. tall and are quickly outgrowing the pots they are in. I only did 24 of those but they take up a lot of room once they go into the larger pots.

Sheep to get sheared on Friday but it's supposed to rain wed. and thurs. so I will have to confine them to the barn to keep them dry and they would much rather be out in the field.

Hope you don't get too much more snow, Grace. Did you get a new GD puppy, Lori?

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  03:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Sarita we got some on Saturday and that was it. Yesterday was cloudy but not a drop. They claim Thursday through Sunday we are supposed to so will see. At least what we got is helping it to green but we do need a whole lot more.

My wool is still in bags as I wasn't going to do a thing with it being it was so dirty and was a couple years worth of growth but.... what do you all think. It was our first shearing so lots and lots and even more second cuts.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  05:04:57 AM  Show Profile
We didn't get just one, but two little females. The gentleman had 7 females and 5 males. We have been told numerous times that the females make better guard dogs, so that is what we got. I hate trying to choose puppies! I am a real sucker for any baby! Anyway, we set the pet carrier down in front of their little shed, and one got up, walked outside and climbed right in and curled up! Guess who came home with us? We also took the smallest female, may have been the runt of the litter. I have purposely picked the runt of the litter several times through the years and they have turned out to be so smart. I had a mixed heeler/shepherd runt when my daughter was little. Jessica would toddle around out in the yard, and that dog would corral her just like it would the cattle, but instead of heeling her, it would lean on her, not enough to knock her down, but enough to make her change directions. We have that dog's daughter now, and she is very old, so Grace, I know the feeling. Some mornings she doesn't come when we call, and I always think the worst. Turns out she is usually chasing squirells or down scouting out the barn for cats, but I still hold my breath.

I am still plotting names for the puppies. We already have Grace, Lilly, Elizabeth (Lizzie), Alliecat (yeah, I know), and Maverick the Terrible. All of the sheep have Biblical names, so I am leaning towards Mary and Martha for the puppies. The biggest one fusses a lot and the small one is very serene acting. We have them in a chain link pen in the sheep pature right now, and I can see them playing up a storm as I sit here and type.

Hope everyone digs out of the snow and the rain dries up. We are tired of rain here. We got about 2 inches Friday night and it rained most of Saturday. The pastures are a swamp.

Only 5 weeks of school left! The students are starting to shut down! (Teachers may be a little too!)

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  08:38:32 AM  Show Profile
Talk about students and teachers shutting down...so has the nurse!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page