Page: of 157

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  5:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Monica help!!! How do I get to the video so I can see I am dumber than a rock with computer stuff

Did not get much of a rain at all but the couple drops are turning some stuff green which is good. Maybe rain Tues/Wed. Will believe it when I see it.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  6:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Do you have dial up? You should be able to click on the link and go straight to it. If you have dial up and can't watch it through youtube I can try e-mailing you a slower version that you may be able to watch on your computer!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  7:35:38 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, I know it has to be a relief to have your wheels back.
Lori, hope your fleece sells.
Grace, hasn't it been an active weather year? Has little Gerber made it yet?
Rae, I been hearing how dry you all were, it is hard to believe when we have been knee deep in mud...we got a flash rain this afternoon...of course when I seen a ewe that looked like she might be going into labor out in the pasture, so here I am out in the middle of the pasture and the sky opens up. So much for the hair style for Easter services. We have been in tornado watch tonight.
I got the fast internet but it is acting like our old slow stuff again. The line is so old that if it sprinkles, the system goes down! lol! You have to pay the price for living out in the middle of no where.
Friday we had storms and my daughter was driving in from Nebraska and trailer trucks had tipped over from the high winds...a white knuckle event in our lives. They arrived safe and then our son's family came in on Saturday, I posted some pictures of my grandchildren on my blog. Bandon, the baby, just smiles and chuckles but you put a camera in front of him and he tries to figure out where you went and gets dead serious.
Lambing is going good. Triplets today, a single last night. Lost a calf to coyotes as the cow was trying to have it....been just a hair on the angry side and not very sociable.
I have been listing my wool on Ebay, sold some, didn't sell others. If I really like a fleece don't care if I sell the fleece or not I put a higher price on it. I have so many fleeces that i need to get back to washing tomorrow. I have one in process now.
Jami, How many do you have left to lamb?
I better quit and go do the 10 O'clock feeding of Miss Minnie Peril and check to see if anyone needs my help. Looks like 4 could lamb tonight...but I been wrong before.
I had a white ewe with a white ram have a black spotted lamb yesterday. Most of the lambs have been white with brown socks.
Take care everyone.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Laugh often, long and loud.
Laugh until you gasp for breath.
And if you have a friend who makes you laugh,
spend lots and lots of time with them.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  8:17:59 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, So sorry to hear about the calf! I am so glad to hear that all of your family arrived safe!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  06:32:25 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I am glad that you have made some decisions and can get on with life. I remember selling one house and the buyers wanted possession right away, we located a fixer-upper and we moved in and I worked sanding floors, cleaning and painting on my hours off work and Danny worked on things in his hours off until we got it where we wanted it. We had three small children and they helped too, picking up and sweeping. I know it will be hard but it can be done and at the same time having the sweet memories of working together as a family. In fact, that worked well for us and we went on to buy another one and ended up being in the second one for 20 years.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Laugh often, long and loud.
Laugh until you gasp for breath.
And if you have a friend who makes you laugh,
spend lots and lots of time with them.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  07:44:02 AM  Show Profile
Good Monday Morning Ladies - I hope all had a great Easter..

No new Gerber addition here - oh well. I spent the afternoon cleaning up poop and trying to fill in the huge ruts and holes in the driveway. Got a great workout which always puts me in a great frame of mind.

Sarita I am so sorry to hear about the calf. My neighbors raise cattle and several times my Pry's have tried to keep coyotes away from the birthing mothers. I have tried to explain to them about how useful a Pry would be in their operation but they really do not care if they lose any calves - so after 10 years I just stay out of it... Not sure how that makes business sense but they raise hundreds of head so I guess to them it is just numbers... Congrat's on the new babies - the spotted one sounds wonderful - did you post a picture?

Sheri - congrat's on the van. Now life will return to a manageable speed I hope.

Monica you file you sent kept crashing - not your end I am sure it is mine. When I get a moment I will try to send the file to my son and have him open it.

Have a Great day ladies - will catch up on all the postings and will let you know when the new one arrives.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  10:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Had 18 for dinner yesterday - everyone likes to come out for holidays as I am one of the few that still actually cook real food. Ham, homemade rolls, au gratin potatoes, green salad, and the kids favorite white cake with lemon curd filling. It is always fun to have all the little ones altogether they have such a good time running races with each other or playing hide-n-seek. At least here they can run and make noise, not like in town. The weather was nice, sunny but not too cold. Now it's back to rain so the shearers called to postpone as the other gal they were scheduled to do before me has no way to keep the sheep dry. They come from quite a distance and try to schedule all of us at one time in one area. So now it's on to transplanting tomato and pepper plants - there are 240 tomatoes to do but I enjoy it.

Sorry to hear about your calf, Sarita. Hope your lambing and fleece washing are progressing without incident.

How exciting to post your own wool for sale, Lori. I hope you have good luck with it.

Hope your weather is moderating, Grace. Keep us posted on any baby news.

Have a great day everyone. I plan to just unwind....

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  12:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I will have to make you a disk and send it to you!

Sarita, It has been an adventure with this house! Gary is still unsure at times that Steve won't back out on the whole thing! Praise God that He is in control!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies - I finally have power - again the last day was full of outages and now we have snow again.... No Baby Yet. Brooke has another stress test today - reminds me of my youngest. I had to spend three months in bed because he kept trying to come early, then when it was past due the silly kid would not come out and I had to have a C section. It seems like I spend my whole life waiting on kids - both two and four legged.

Monica - sorry for not getting back yet - no power will email shortly.

Hope everyone has a better weather day then I am having - quickly boiled water and washed up, put some in a large thermos so today I can have something warm just in case. Filled up all the water jugs that I keep just for such problems - I use them for the animals and myself. What is nice is when we have snow they will eat that but I still carry water. I also put up a termos of hot soup for lunch.

I am interested in how do you all deal with power outages for yourself and animals?? The little one's did not like sitting in the dark last night - they ran to me when I went to check on them like they have seen a monster. I have them all around my feet crying. Great excuse to hug them all - like I needed one.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  10:18:14 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I figured that you either had no power or a new baby!!! If we loose power in the winter, we usually camp out by the fireplace! I know what you mean about waiting on kids!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  11:26:31 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I just had a lady buy 4 of my mini-batts and she wants 2 more sets that I just listed for her and on top of that she wants 2 more batts in different colors!!!!!!!!!! I have actually had 13 sales now in the past 5 days! Yippee!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Apr 07 2010 11:28:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  11:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all. Congrats on your sales Monica. When are you moving into the motorhome? Have you ever tried spinning any of the wool I sent? I am curious as to what you thought of the long fiber.

Sorry to hear you are still getting bad weather issues, Grace. I do about the same thing you do when there is a power outage. The main issue for me is water too. If things look dicey, I start filling jugs. I have been known to heat water on the kerosene heater or the gas grill in a pinch as well. My animals don't like it either as they are used to the big mercury vapor lights in the barnyard. It even freaks my dog out. I have battery back-ups on my sewing machine and computers that beep like a fire alarm when the power goes out and my dog panics and tries to climb in my lap (he's 97 lbs).

I'm working on transplanting tomatoes - around 200 altogether. I am almost half way now. Tomorrow to the accountant to get my taxes done now that I finally have a way to get there....

Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  11:42:25 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, Thank you! I don't have a clue what is going on at the moment!!! I am just going with the flow! I haven't had a chance to spin any yet! I had wool on 2 of my bobbin and last night I finished one of them and I need to spin some Lincoln so I can finish the other one! I did comb some of it and it was so VERY NICE to comb!! I think if I didn't do fiber and pray I would go absolutely nuts right now! Thank you all for being such wonderful enablers!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Apr 07 2010 11:43:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  2:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey Girls. Sounds like life is moving along at a quick pace for all of us. We are waiting on one more ewe to lamb and we'll call it good for 2010! Most of these girls have lambed during the wee hours of the night so I'm sleepless but not sheepless, so no complaints.

Monica, enjoyed your videos! Great job. I have an old dowel...I should be using it instead of the old paper towel core I've been using! Duh. I like your carder. So glad you're having sales too. That helps keep you motivated, right?

Grace, I am with you sister....on the compressed hay, we've been there and done that and in our wind...not fun. It's expensive dust to begin with and then to scatter it across the next county seems rather an exercise in futility to me. I also am not a production crafter or whatever I am...I get bored doing the same thing over and over but I do enjoy knitting similar things if I can use different yarns...probably because I'm a slower knitter and once I've figured out a pattern it's fun to just "mindlessly" knit something while we watch TV in the evenings.

The new straw is great though. No eye problems since we've switched over. Whew.

Well, I have this one more ewe to go and I need to take a peek at her. I'm sure she'll wait until 2 a.m. but I've always been way too hopeful of a person when it comes to how my day is going to go...

Sheri, glad you got your wheels back, girl. Maybe you should sell tomato starts at the farmer's market to help pay the repair bill.

Easter was a very quiet day here too, Grace. We didn't do anything but nap, make a couple of Easter phone calls and made a BBQ dinner with homemade onion rings. This up all night stuff just takes the entertaining gumption out of me. We had 3 sets of twins that night so it was a good plan for us. My kids either had plans with in-laws or had to work. You're right, self-inflicted stress is best to be avoided. I am getting smarter as I get older, sure but shootin'.

We are supposed to have quite a front moving in tonight and tomorrow...50 mph winds and snow down to 1,500 ft and so forth.

Off to the sheep shed...

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  7:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Jami it sounds like you've been up to your neck in work. Did your ewe deliver yet? I'll bet you'll be glad to be finished for the season. I was bummed that we had to postpone shearing because of rain. We are supposed to get the wind tomorrow as well. I'm not looking forward to driving in it as I go to the accountant in Spokane tomorrow afternoon. The last big wind we got we had a three hour power outage. My next door neighbors have a timber harvester in and they are leveling all the trees between them and the road. With our dirt road I don't know how they will be able to breathe this summer. What a noisy mess. It always makes my heart sad to see the trees leveled in such a manner. It looks like a bomb went off.

Hopefully you'll get some sleep tonight.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  05:00:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Monica! I am so happy for you!

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
www.sarahkatefibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  05:50:11 AM  Show Profile
Quick note, The Gerber Baby Boy arrived at 8:39 pm Wednesday and is doing great. I will pass on more info as I get it. Will be off the farm to visit the little one so to the shower I go.

Have a great day.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  07:46:34 AM  Show Profile
How exciting for you Grace!! I'm glad to hear that all went well. Have they picked out a name yet?

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  08:56:35 AM  Show Profile
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Grace, I am so very excited for you!!! Tell Brooke and Nick Congratulations for me!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  09:08:54 AM  Show Profile
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! How wonderful. Babies are truly God's greatest miracles

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  09:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone! They are thinking of calling him Reese Marion Gerber. The Marion is for my stepfather who adored my boys and they felt the same way towards him.

He came in at 6 lb 14 oz, 20 inches long and is quite the eater. I had thought I was going in to see him but my dearest goat Casper has been struggling for the past two days and I am quite worried for him. Was up with him most the night and he is not getting any better. I never leave someone alone and the parents will have more then enough company. I will go to their house once everyone is home. Nick is sending photo's but my dial up will take a long time to get them here.... For now it is back in the barn for this gal to help and love my sweet Casper.

Oh, Other Birthday News - Chief and Sohia celebrate their 7th birthday today. They got their Birthday Egg and Cheese Omelets and tonight is their favorite lamb sausages...Party, Party, Party

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  12:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I love the name they picked! We can't wait to see pics!!!

I will keep praying for Casper! and give hugs to the birthday kids!! You will have more partying on the 10th too! Happy Birthday to you too!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  11:23:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! I need some opinions. I have been shopping around for a drum carder, and I have come upon an individual on craigslist that makes them. His name is John Berukoff. He lives in Oregon, I think. He guarantees his work and SEEMS very knowledgeable about drum carders, because I have asked a LOT of non-leading questions, none of which I gave him choices for his answers. (Like: How long are the teeth? His response was 1/2".) He is supposed to be sending me pictures. It is much less expensive than all of the name brands ($350), and the used name brand ones are holding the majority of their value. I know Fancy Kitty offers less expensive carders, but this gentleman's appear to be made a little stouter.

Has anyone heard of this man? I have googled him, and can't find any references to him. But he could be doing like my sweetie does with things and decided "I can make those" and got busy and made one and now is trying to sell a few.

I know I could pay with paypal and have some guarantee through them.

Whadayathink?

Grace ~ Congratulations!!! Babies are such a blessing! I held a 9 month old in my lap last night and we sat and watched the chickens. He was facinated. I miss mine being little!

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  7:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Lori, I have never heard of him before! I will say that if you decide not to get one from him, check out the Fancy Kitty Kitten Carders by Ron Anderson! I have one and I LOVE it to no end! The other great thing is that you do have a problem you can call or e-mail Ron ,himself! I have had mine since October and have not had any trouble with it at all! The Kitten Carders run the same price as the one you are looking at. The other thing that is cool is you can get an extra drum in a different cloth as opposed to buying a whole new carder and you can get a motorized base for it! Sorry to sound like a sales pitch, but I love mine to no end and I have talked to Ron on the phone and he is really helpful even if you just have a question and there is also a Ravelry group for Kitten owners and Ron has a customer page on his site with people's shops listed so it's good free advertising!

I was looking on craigslist and I was wondering if you're looking at the one from Silverton?

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Apr 09 2010 9:38:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  08:03:17 AM  Show Profile
Yes, the one in Silverton is the one. I would love to help a fellow crafter out, which is why I was considering the one in Oregon. We all know how hard it is to get started. I had looked at Ron's - he is north of me in Missouri - and I am still considering it. And no, you don't sound like a sales pitch! I brought mama's Louet home last night so I can get some batts done for our shop to match our Phat Fiber contributions, and to decide if I really want to fork over the money for one or just borrow hers occasionally. HeHeHe ~ maybe she will do like she did her old spinning wheel! She bought herself a new one and gave her first one to me so we would both have one. Worth wishing for, isn't it? :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page