Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:39:02 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. How good to see you post, Grace. I will continue to send you good energy for healing your saddened heart. Sometimes the distraction of a house full of energy helps....

Hope things are looking up for you, Monica. This back and forth business must be so scary. Know that I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. If you decided to move - where would you choose to go? What does your husband do as far as work goes?

Hope all is well with everyone else. It snowed here yesterday - not a lot but enough to make it very chilly and muddy again. Hope you are all keeping warm.
Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:44:45 AM  Show Profile
Hello all!!! Been raining here pretty much all week but thank God, big time, it has been warm. Supposed to start clearing up tomorrow.

We just added another 40 aces to our farm, I am sooooo excited. I talked about it under another thread a little but it is pasture/hay so will be great for us. One of hubbies sisters sold it to us.

Basil is really growing! Sure wish the other 3 girls would have made it but... we have Basil and am thankful for that.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:48:13 AM  Show Profile
How exciting, Rae! That is so cool. Glad to hear that Basil is doing so well.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I will be keeping you in my prayers this weekend for sure! Just tell everyone to play nice! :)

Sheri, Gary does construction. I don't have a clue where we would go and honestly the prospect of moving is absolutely the scariest thing in the world! I am hoping things work out, but if people don't back off I know that Gary is going to just say the heck with it and pack up! There would be less stress living in a tent in the desert than putting up with the insanity of here! It not all bad because my mom, Grace and my friend Anita have all offered to let us come out their ways and Anita even said Gary could work with her husband and they live near the beach in North Carolina! At least there is comfort in knowing we would not just end up out on the street!

Rae, WE NEED PICTURES! Send me some and I will post them for you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  12:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget, Monica, there is always Washington. I don't know how practical it would be to stay with me as I'm out in the boonies but you would always be welcome. It does get cold here in the winter though....I have a friend who is a contractor. I don't know if he's looking for anyone but I can inquire if you want me to. I am certain that it will all turn out for the good whether you stay there or re-locate.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  12:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Sheri, We used to live outside of Kennewick and we also lived in Twisp! I loved Washington and the boonies is fine with me! I am so not a cite person, but Gary has sworn he would never live again where there is snow! I thank you so much for the offer though! It's the best thing in the world to know that you have friends and family that would take you in! I hope you all know that you are always welcome to come to Arizona!! You all bless my heart so very much!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  6:26:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, I have had computer and internet service problems, it got so frustrating that I just quit getting on. I am so sorry Monica for all your problems, it is so hard to understand why it keeps raining in our world but I really think it is in God's plans to move us where he needs us sometimes....I usually go kicking and screaming and then look back a few years later and realize why I had to go through the rough times. I am praying for you and we will put you on our prayer list.
Grace, I am sorry for your loss. You love your animals so much, my heart goes out to you.
I am going to have to read back a few pages and get caught up on the rest of you...I have been thinking of you.
It is lambing time again for us, no babies yet but any time. I have a muddy path worn to the barn and getting sore and tired from all the mud we have.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Laugh often, long and loud.
Laugh until you gasp for breath.
And if you have a friend who makes you laugh,
spend lots and lots of time with them.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  8:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, Thank for the prayers! I don't even to pretend to know what is going on, but you are so right! Maybe this is a big lesson in humility when you just really want to tell people to take a hike! Other than some of the house stuff, things have been going well! Business is picking up and I just got a second loom! So on one hand things are really going good and the great thing about all of the rough stuff is that it is drawing Gary and I together even tighter! Here is a pic of the new loom! http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Vintage-Portable-Weaving-Loom-5924734.html#des Right now I am trying to really clear some stuff out, partly to make room! I have been working on some of the Corriedale that I got from you and I have to say that it is some of my favorite fiber! One of these days I am going to have to get some more from you!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  11:02:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls - sorry to hear of the losses and the scary times you're facing Grace and Monica. Life is sometimes hard and that's all there is to it. I had someone tell me that when my mom died and I thought "yes, it certainly is." I hope and pray for better days for you both.

Welcome Barb. Glad to know another sheep girl.

Rae, congrats on the addition to your farm. Lucky you!!

I'm off to bed and will catch up later. Just wanted to say hi. Today was a big sheep day here on the farm. We start lambing very soon and got some sheep going to California this week so got health checks and hoof trimming to do on that group...and did get that wool bagged up today. Hubby and I are both sore from stomping into the wool bags. : )

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  9:02:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. Hope all is going well with everyone as it's been pretty quiet over here. Hope things are working out for you Monica. Another loom - how great. I am excited for you.

Great to hear from you again, Sarita. I was wondering what you were up to and how things are going. Same with you Jami. Sounds like your plate has been full as well. I hope things are going well for you as well, Grace. Did you have a good time with all your company?

I have been planting seeds to get started under grow lights - so far 120 tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet banana peppers, and lots of flowers. More seeds to plant again tomorrow - I'm about 2 weeks late getting things going. The transmission in my van is acting up - looks like big $$$ repairs. It will finally go into the shop on Saturday. I've been car less now for 2 weeks which is really hard since it's 15 miles to the nearest town. Finally got to doing the machine embroidery on the linings for my boxes. I have the small one fully completed and hopefully the other two tomorrow afternoon after a morning of planting. Got the hoop green house moved from my friend's on Sunday so all the hoops and parts are stacked up against the garden fence. Now I have to track down where to order the plastic cover for a 20 x 40 hoop greenhouse. I am really excited about it though.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  11:28:20 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone We are having a beautiful day here today, . Tomorrow is supposed to be the same and then back to March reality but that is ok. Snow is melted so anything that comes will melt really fast!! Ready to be done with winter.

I am really excited about the land! Now just to add some cattle to the mix.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  12:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
Sherri, I definitely want to see pictures of your completed boxes. Sorry about you van. The hoop house sounds great...I have my seeds ordered, one new cherry tree arrived yesterday.
Rae, sounds like things are coming along great. Good for you.

Ladies we are knee high in muddy, cloudy weather. My legs hurt from pulling my feet with boots out of the mud while choring. Lambing is not going good at all. My first ewe had 3 very large lambs in her and didn't even appear to be in labor, vet pulled them, first 2 dead dead and the I worked very hard to save the last little ewe but she developed pneumonia. Ewe is up moving around...
We are lambing and calving at the same time. Then at work, we are having a very tense time with budget cuts...angers flaring and hurt feelings at times. I think I am spending more times on my knees praying now adays.
Shearing is Friday and some of my girls have wool draining the ground. I put some pictures of felted hats and purses and the sheep on my blog over the week end.

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  12:53:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sarita, not fun when it starts out rocky but just think...it's got to get better, right? That mud would do me in too. I've never been a big fan of mud. Good thing I live in such a dry area after all. Shearing too. Ugh.

I am putting together the lambing kit today and washing everything up. I like to start with it all clean and tidy and it usually looks like some raccoons had a party in it after we get done! Ha ha.

Sheri, hubby built me a cold frame out of some old windows and we planted a few colder weather crops outside but it's just the 2 of us eating out of the garden (share a bit with the kids too) so we decided to just buy plants this year. Last year I started seeds and with our cold spring most of the plants died or were stunted even after I hardened them off. We ended up buying plants later after the weather calmed down. It felt like all of the work we did early was for naught. Remember the wind we had last year? I don't know what I'm saying...it's blowing like a gale out there right now. Last year? Ha. We are still eating carrots that we left in from last fall and just finished up our onions in our storage room. Think we've bought 2 bags of potatoes since fall too.

Monica, where are you at, girl? I love it...as long as you have fiber and more toys, you are okay. That's a farmgirl for you.

I've had a busy week. We are starting to check back-ends before bed now and it's a good thing time changed as both hubby and I are off our sleep schedule. This morning he said (at 3 am when we were both awake), "guess we're ready for lambing...we're up half the night for for the heck of it." LOL.

Sarita, just remember on the work thing to try to leave it at work when you walk out the door. I know it's hard times right now for many and sanity is hard to come by. Hold onto yours. I'll be thinking of you.

Glad Grace added to the kit I had started Rae. I forgot to list the Chlorhexidine (sp) and dip cup for umbilical cords and short scissors for snipping the cords. Chlorhexidine is much soother on the sensitive umbilical area than iodine or Betadine and it's easy on the hands and doesn't stain too! Will catch up with you all later.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  1:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Good Afternoon. Oh Sarita - I am so sorry to hear of your rocky start to lambing and your muddy weather. I hate mud. This year we had a warmer dryer winter so little mud and it was early this year but I am afraid we might pay with a longer, scarier fire season come August if the rains should stop. Unfortunately, cut backs everywhere. I will send prayers and good energy your way - I'm sure things will work out, they always do although some days we wonder....

I don't grow as much as I used to either, Jami. A lot of the plants that I start are for others - friends and family. I have such a weird growing season here that I will use the greenhouse much like a giant cold frame to extend my season on both ends. I was lucky that it was gifted to me by a friend that used to be a commercial grower of herbs. I will put your lambing season in my prayers along with Sarita and Grace. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Monica - did you fall off the planet? I hope that it just means that you are having fun with all your new toys.

Rae - will you be getting calves this spring or waiting until fall for this years crop to be fully weaned? What kind of cows are you getting?

Have a great afternoon all. I'm back to my linings now that I've finished my planting for the day.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  4:59:11 PM  Show Profile
God bless you all! I have been reading for a few pages and my goodness what happens in a short while. Grace, Monica, heck all of you are in my prayers. I also believe that God throws all of these hard times to us for a reason and later we see that his hand was in it all the time. I also believe that these times makes you appreciate the good ones that much longer.

Well, as for things happening here in Ontario, the weather is incredibly warm! The kids are home this week for March break, what perfect timing for good weather. I am almost done lambing. Only 3 ewes left until may. I have averaged twins. One having a single and 1 having triplets. I am finally into my barn YEA!!!!!! No more pailing water. I have been doing that for almost a whole year!! There are 23 beautiful little lambs running absolutely everywhere. Just love them.

My most exciting news. I started spinning last night and totally love it. How do you guys get anything else done, how addicting. They only gave us 50 grams of roving and I am way done that. Now I am trying to find more so I can keep practicing this week.

That's all for now, I really miss talking with you ladies. The garden will be next for me too. My girls and I are starting a market garden this summer, so busy times ahead.
God Bless you all.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  5:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies from sunshining Colorado.. I too have mud up to my rear and it does make those legs work twice as hard. I guess we are getting more snow soon but I just deal with what is here now.

So sorry to hear about the lambs Sarita - those are the days that we just cry thru but as I keep saying to myself "It is what it is - this is what I do". Just know I am sending hugs, prayers and good energy.
My Sunday was another stress filled day - before my son and daughter in law arrived and while my mother was talking my ear off I went outside at 5 am to do chores. When I came in the barn there way Oliver caught between two pens - he was always walking between them so I could not understand what was wrong. Ran in grabbed him up and ran to the house. I tried to bottle feed him, checked him from top to bottom. He had broken ribs and one lung was calapsed. I thought it would be quick but all day and into the night we held him, loved him and cried for him. He passed at 9:15 pm.

As for all the starting of seeds, hoop houses and seed ordering - it has fed my spring fever. I too started seeds last weekend so we shall see - my house is looking like a nursery - pots, seedling trays and plants in every room - life growing is such a renewing feeling.

I can not wait to see the boxes too!!! I love also the felted hats - such talented ladies you are. I finished sewing 154 nursing pads, two reversible bibs, a dirty diaper sack, 200 cloth baby bottom wipes and hope to get to the quilt very soon. I cut out four aprons and finished one reversible one. I have been dyeing some Merino Lamb's wool on the side along with several pounds of silk rods and cocoons. Work is my best friend when life gets too much - boy, has it been too much this last week.

Well, great hearing about your goings on and hope we all have a much smoother week then last. Keep looking for the brighter side because it is too easy to stay in the dark. Besides who want all those wrinkles?

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  10:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies! I didn't realize it had been so long since I last posted!

Grace and Sarita, I am so sorry to hear about Oliver and the lambs! I don't know how you all do it because I would be crushed forever!

It has been a busy weekend and week so far! I helped work on the house Sunday, ran errands Monday and then Tuesday was Hannah's birthday! I made cake twice yesterday! I also have actually had some more sales! I sold both of my sets of wool combs and have an order for another!

Barb, We don't sleep much!!!:)

I will have to sit down and catch up with what's been going on lately!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Toots
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Barb
Brussels Ontario
Canada
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  04:42:49 AM  Show Profile
Grace, how do you do it all? You make me tired thinking about all of it. I have decided to give up the farm books so I can do some things that I need and want to do. I hate doing books anyways. There are people in this world that like it so they may as well do it.

I can't find anymore roving to practice with! I think that I need to make a few more phone calls. Does anyone have any tips for me? The wheel is calling my name, but, without roving I can't do much!
I'm so sorry to hear about your little Oliver Grace. We had to put one down 2 weeks ago. It was born with 2 broken legs. I still don't understand what happened, but the twin of this one has weird legs too. It doesn't seem to be able to run around as much as the others. Thank goodness, mom looks after him well.
Hope you ladies have a great day. I'm off to finish chores and make more bread.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  08:33:29 AM  Show Profile
Sun is shining in Missouri today! Looking for snow Saturday...shearing tomorrow. My Socks ewe had a nice big baby boy yesterday afternoon. All is well with the world!
I want to share this with you all because I know that you all go through this too and us good old farm girls bounce back quit...yesterday I was down and out, the ordeal of loosing the 3 big beautiful lambs, afraid I was loosing their mother, Molly, which was a bottle lamb that went everywhere with me a few years ago, and then the things at work and the meeting held yesterday to tell us that certain persons were being let go...my eyes were red, my heart low as I drove home from work (admit it...you know and have been at that low in your life too.) I got home and went to check on the sheep and cows, had a ewe that has been looking like she is going to have a flock..in labor. I had to assist in delivery and thought here we go again, big lamb, repeat of the night before. The sun is shining and all I had to do was pull one little leg out and mom pushed and out comes this big baby boy. His mom is the size of a corridale and she is half shetland and half corriedale and she is black with white socks. That baby hit the ground running, up and down, trying to suck in no time, he was so comical and I am on my knees out on the wet ground, the sun is shining and I was laughing....while I was on my knees I gave God the biggest thank you and had a wonderful feeling come over me that everything was going to be alright.
Jami, my lambing kit is already a mess, just cleaned it up 2 weeks ago. I have things out that I have used so far and I have cleaned and sterilized these used items, I will need to get my kit back together.
Barb, I wish you lived close, I have over 20 fleeces in my tack room. Have you already sheared your sheep? (ummmmh...take the scissors out....a little washing, etc.) I have been known to take a few locks, wash and spin it when my curiosity gets the best of me. Isn't spinning relaxing? Glad you like it.
Monica, are you back on with the house now?
Grace, I am so sorry but your little guy.
Rae, is your school doing any cuts?
have a good one!
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  10:32:58 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I am praying that everything works out at school for you!

I know exactly what you are talking about when everything seems to be going wrong! Things have been so up and down with getting moved. The pressure to get moved out has lightened a bit since the family that is moving in here is staying in another house in town until we get moved out, but it's still a strain on Gary and then on the other side Gary wonders some days if Steve isn't going to just say enough with the house and it seemed for a time that Gary might get replaced which means he would be out of a job and there are not many options for work up here at all! Then praise God we got a motor home for really cheap so if all else fails we can move into it! It would be a tight squeeze and yes we would all be sleeping on fiber because I am not going to part with it and friends and family have offered to take us in and that makes everything good to know that you have such dear friends! I think it's easy to get of focus when everything is crashing down and I know that at just the right time God gives us those reminders to say "It's all good! I am still in charge!"

Things for the moment seem to be on track with the house and Gary had the whole front addition on now and he is putting in the new front door as we speak! I am just praying that things will continue smoothly! I am getting excited about moving into my craft room! The room will be about 11 1/2 feet x 9 feet! I have come to the conclusion that guys get their own form of PMS so I am starting to think that in the end everything will work out with the house!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  11:26:42 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning. I'm glad to hear that things seem to be back on track with the house, Monica. I know what you mean about things seeming to come apart all at once. This issue with my van is a real biggie for me as I am so financially strapped right now. All I can do is pray that it isn't the transmission but a sensor or something needing to be reset in the computer as they informed me yesterday if it is the transmission, they can't be repaired and have to be replaced and that's if they can even locate one...as they rarely go out!! If it is it will be around $3,500 to fix which is pretty far out of my reach right now. It is my only transportation and I am 15 miles from the nearest town. The kicker is it only had 41,000 miles on it. So I'm pretty stressed too and I won't know anything until Saturday. Sorry for the whine but it's difficult not to worry (or panic).

Glad to hear you had a successful delivery of a new one Sarita. I hope your shearing goes well too. I need to call and get that lined up for mine as well but I've had so much other stuff going on I haven't got to it yet.

Sorry to hear about Oliver, Grace. It sure has been the season for difficulties all the way around for a lot of folks. Hopefully it will all smooth out now for us all.

Barb - now that the spinning bug has caught you, you will be loath to do anything else!! Have you tried locating wool on line in your area? How about a scissor....bet those sheep wouldn't mind a little snipping!!

Gotta Run, my friend is coming to give me a ride to town for supplies. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  1:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Sheri I am so sorry about the transportation problem - I know what you mean for those of us who live far away from town - sometimes when my truck acts silly - 260,000 miles on my sweet Ford F150 I pray that the universe is not trying to tell me something. Everyone keeps telling me to get something new but first I LOVE my truck, second it was the first transportation I purchased after my husband passed, up till then he always picked them, Lastly I only go into town so rarely and do not travel all over the countryside for shows so I feel safe in this metal friend. I pray that it will be something minor and that it will be well within your price range.

Today we have sunshine before another big storm coming our way. I let out the babies to play and we had a great time - they are all napping because of the running, jumping, head butting and that was just me - they truely are a joy to watch...

Fiber - did someone say they need fiber??? I have been trying to get new fiber on the shope site - going slow - dial up and all but I sure do have some goodies to share...

Monica - love the pictures of the house - Gary and you sure have been busy. Did you save me a slice of Birthday Cake??? How old is Hannah now?? They sure do grow up fast.

Barb - great to hear from you - figured life was way too busy your way but glad to hear that you are focusing in on those that bring you joy. I know it is hard to give up things that we can do but just do not bring us joy anymore. I am working on doing the same thing too. Share if you would have you made those decissions? I find I just get stuck in a rut or routine and can not pull myself out...

Well, back to work I go - will check in later - what's for dinner?? I am in a rut there too.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  10:08:06 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, i will be praying that it's a minor fix on your van! It always seems to be something!

Grace, I saved you a piece of cake, but you have to come and get it! Bring Monica with you! Hannah is 6 now and Olivia will be 5 on April 12th! I will have to post some pics here of the house! Gary got the front door on and the window in my craft room put in yesterday!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Mar 19 2010 10:08:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  5:25:49 PM  Show Profile
TGIF girls and happy almost weekend! We woke up to 2 twin ewe Southdown/Texel lambs up and adam and covered in dirt in the drop pen. Both are doing well but are pretty dirty looking little girls. We reseeded the lambing paddock last year and it's not come in real thick yet so lots of dirt areas and of course, the ewes choose those to paw and lamb. : )

Well, Sarita, yes, I figured life is kind of like the ABC sports announcer's motto, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Some days you can't win and another moment the simplest thing can make you feel like the luckiest girl in the whole wide world.

Monica, you crack me up with the fiber in the motorhome comment. Love your attitude.

Sheri, girl, I do know what you are going through with the van...my truck has 165,000 miles on it and it gets "needy" every once in a while. Last week the service engine soon light came on and I was thinking "no, please not now!!!" as money is a bit tight at the moment, and lo and behold it went off when I got gas. Once before the light came on when I had filled up and hadn't put the cap on tight enough. I learned how to fix it by disconnecting the battery and connecting again. Of course, if it were something serious that fix wouldn't work and the light would come back on. I'll be thinking of you. I have a sign on my office wall that says "to enjoy living in the country requires the mind of a philosopher, the feeling of a poet and a really good stationwagon." Isn't that the truth?

Grace, what in the world are you doing with all of the baby items? New business? I'm sure I've missed something along the way about your latest venture. You do keep busy.

Barb, thinking of your broken legged lamb (sorry to hear it), I've fixed a few broken legs with a piece of PVC pipe and vet wrap. They heal up real quick. Of course that was one broken leg at a time, not 2! I'm sure you did the humane thing in your case. Spinning is good therapy. Glad you're enjoying it so much. I have some nice Coopworth roving that drafts and spins nicely. If you're interested you can PM me.

Rae, sounds like your weather is improving. We're sunshine with warmer days and cool nights. Hubby is doing field work now harrowing the fields. Soon we'll be irrigating.

Hugs and happy trails until next time.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  6:08:28 PM  Show Profile
Taking a break from the carding machine - snow has been coming down since late last night - have drifts to my hips in front of the barn.. Heck, that sounds like a country song. Making a great blend - Mohair, Alpaca, Wenslydale, very long Merino, French Angora and Tencel. I must say it is wonderful. I will post pictures Saturday on my blog - love the way it feels and I even had to spin just a bit.

Jami, I so miss my Southdowns - great cross - would love to see what they come up with on fleece. I know what you mean - I can have dry ground all around but they always find the mud. Glad you are getting some field work in - we wont see ground for a bit longer... Great moisture to those patches of grass.

No new business althought when I had my first son I did have a sewing business for children with special needs and preme's. Nope, this is for my first grandson which should be coming the first week in April. My son is also requesting a quilt for the crib made by me along with all the other items. I also gave him one of my Large Icelandic Ram Hides with the fiber on it - I brought it back when he and I went there some 12 years ago. He wants his son to get to sleep with it like he did - Nick was 13 years old then but the memories are still fresh in his mind.

Broken legs are never fun - we have fixed our share too. Infact, Dr Watson (a bottle billy) had a malformed and fractured front leg - the vet gave him no hope but with a brace I designed and physical work out everyday (jumping on my leather furniture, running up and down the stairs after my sons and just being silly) - he is now a big strong billy with a perfect leg. I do understand when there is not much you can do and the kindest thing you can do is give them a peaceful end. Doesn't make it easy but that is what we have to do sometimes...

Well, since the sun is going down I better get outside and clear the snow drifts away from the doors again - hate doing that at midnight. I think I am done with babies but you know the rule - the moment you stop checking in a snow storm is the moment you will have a surprise little one.
Stay warm and safe everyone.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page