oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  3:07:35 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I checked on your sold items on etsy and saw the yarn! It's absolutely beautiful! I had a lot of fun doing the tags and I actually have a billion more ideas for more! Once I figured out the computer program for doing them, they are really fun to do! I will keep Ebony in my prayers! I am so sorry to hear about your hens! I will be praying that you are feeling better too!

Sheri, Thank you for the wonderful surprise in the mail today! You are way too sweet! Everything was lovely and the fiber is wonderful!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  3:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Monica, I'm glad you received the package ok. I knew you've been feeling a bit frazzled of late and thought something unexpected might lighten your spirit.

Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well, Grace. I hope you will be feeling better soon. I will keeping Ebony in my prayers and sending you light and love.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  4:17:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh my talk about brotherly love!!! Billy was laying on the ground and Basil is standing on top of him, then he jumps off, runs and jumps on top of him again, licks his face and ears and jumps back on!!!
Oh just made my night
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  4:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Aren't they a kick? When Roddy was little, he used to stand on Barrick to eat pine needles off a small tree in the pasture.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  6:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Rae, Oh that would be so much fun to see! If you ever want me to post more pics for you just send them to me! I would be happy to help to see more pics of your sheep!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  4:38:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls. We got the sheep sheared and now I have a garage full and it's way more than 3 bags full!

Sounds like things are moving along for everyone. Sheri, not sure what these boxes are others are talking about but I'll try to find them and check it out.

Monica, I would probably do the same and sort through things as you unpack. I am in a constant state of purging around here. But I must be acquiring more stuff too or otherwise I'd run out of stuff to purge! Right?

Just got back from the Sewing and Stitchery Expo. Great fun and spent too much but got some new scissors, some great knit fabrics and found a new designer I really like a lot, Marcy Tilton. Some fun sassy designs that are age appropriate but way far from some of the frumpy stuff everyone else sells for middle aged women or whatever category I fit into. Pendleton Mills had some fun stuff. I got some wool binding to use on my wool purses. Very classy looking.

What kind of "kit" do you keep on hand for lambing? How about for general sheep care?

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  05:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Jami sounds like the expo was a lot of fun!!

Thank you for the "kits" question.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

lsarah
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Lori
Greenwood Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  1:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Things sure are changing here in the Brown household! At the moment, I am listening to 19 baby chicks chirping away in a box in the kitchen! We haven't had chickens in about 10 years - I sure have missed fresh eggs. Also found some 4'x4' heavy duty plastic shipping containers that were being thrown away. They are about 3' high - going to do some container gardening this year. We have tried gardening in the past a couple of times, but it became an all you can eat buffet for the squirrels. Maybe being closer to the house with the dogs around will keep them scared away. Talked to the kids this weekend after some pure ugliness went on between them. We all decided that TV is having a terrible influence on our family - attitudes, behaviors, empowering laziness - so it is going to remain off for the majority of the time. Hubby and I have been praying about living a simpler life, and things just seem to be falling into place! Now, if I could just quit teaching this year and become a stay at home mom again.........hmmm, the possibilities...... :)

She works with eager hands...Proverbs 31:13
http://www.sarahkatefibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  2:01:30 PM  Show Profile
I've always wanted to go to the Sewing Expo but never falls when I can get away or have the money...Glad to hear you had a good time Jami.

Sounds like things are really hopping around your house Lori. Baby chicks are always so cute. How cool that you found the containers - I hope they work out well for you. You might covering them with bird netting to help with the squirrel issue. I know what you mean about kids and TV. When my boys were younger they would act out stuff in each other - especially cartoon stuff. It got so I wouldn't let them watch any of that stuff. The other thing TV does is influence "wants". If we never saw any of this stuff would we even think we wanted or needed it?.....

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  6:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies - Guess what - it is snowing again!!! BURRRRR... No new babies but the one's in the barn are getting cuter by the minute.

Lori sounds like you have some great plans - I have been figthing the notion to have chicks right now - not enough sleep with the goats to take on the care of little beepers... I had two of my old hens pass last week and I miss them but I will hold off a bit.

I agree about the TV thing - when my young sons and I moved here I did away with them having cable and such. I figured if you where awake you where to be outside. We had movies on VHS and now I have them on DVD but still not cable or such. I love PBS and a very few shows but I agree with the WANTS - TV is just about selling you something or dumbing us down with plastic people - not the way to raise kids.

Jami - I love Sewing Expos but I just can not keep my pocketbook closed and I already have way too much stuff but I am so happy for you getting to go and finding new goodies. Congrat's on shearing that is in all of our futures.

Rae those four leggeds are tons of fun to watch - I get lost in their playtime. Today one of Rebecca's new boys got out of the pen and ran around till he was so tired he just curled up in a feed bucket. I came into the barn and she was screaming for me to find him. I looked everywhere and just when I was getting frantic Cheif (my Pry) walked over to the bucket and stared at it as if to say "What are you blind"? I picked him up and gave him a big hug, put him in the pen and Rebecca sure gave him a talking too. The brother ran at him and jumped on him which flattened him - Well, I guess he wont be getting out anytime soon.

I hope Monica your packing is going smoothly - I tell you it sure has got me thinking that I sure need to lighten my load - heck I had that dream again of moving to a foriegn country and just sitting and spinning. I sure love what I do but I sure would love to have less responsibilities and overhead... I think I need more sleep and a break with the weather. Oh My, I am whinning!!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  6:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Grace, I had a question about what type of herbs you feed your goats for worming? Thank you so much for all your help!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  03:21:14 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone is really busy. Grace sorry about your rotten weather, we are having 30's and low 40's this week, t-shirt weather!!!

I am the one in need of help in knowing what all people always keep on hand for their sheep. First aid, general care and lambing kind of stuff. Need to get that built up now so I have things more readily when it is needed.
Really dumb but Jami and all, how can you tell if a sheep is pregnant. My Nellie is looking a little big but just not sure as Sally is so thin after her babies.
Thanks
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

nanny
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

cyndy
st eugene ontario
Canada
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  09:09:12 AM  Show Profile
I am wondering how to market the fiber from angora goats .. who buys it an how would I go about finding buyers ?how do you price it as well .. am totally new to this and really want to get started , thanks everyone
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  10:13:28 AM  Show Profile
Cyndy, Welcome to farmgirl connection! There are a lot of people who buy angora, including myself! You may want to look into opening a store on etsy! There are also spinning and fiber groups on Yahoo where you could list it and there are market place listings on Ravelry. As far as pricing, that is always a hard one! Grace could tell you better, but once place to start is to maybe see what others are selling it for and that may at least give you a rough idea of the going rate, but it still can vary quite a lot! I have seen Lincoln wool for anywhere from $1.00 to $10.00 an ounce.

Grace, Don't wear yourself out! I am still trying to get things packed! I am trying to pack up all of the things I don't need right away, but I still get lost in trying to sort things out! Things are progressing nicely at the house though so hopefully we will be moving soon!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  5:30:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi all - hope everyone is having a good day. Welcome to the forum, Cyndy. I'm sure Grace will have valuable info for you re goats.

Hopefully you didn't get buried, Grace. Any new babies yet? Jami it sounds like you have a lot of skirting and picking and washing on your horizon. I'm not sure when I will shear yet as it's been pretty cold at night - down in the low 20's. They haven't started scratching yet which is a good thing. Once that happens I'm on the phone cold or not. The gal I get my sheep from has a 1 yr old black wether that I might get to replace Chisolm. Might be fun to have one that is such a different color. I try to keep variety. I haven't decided yet but I know I will replace him sooner or later.

Glad to hear you are making progress in your packing. Any date as to when you will actually move? What about the tenants that are barking at your heels to get in the house you are in?

The three boxes I have finished got sprayed today - yea!!! It was about 52 and sunny here, a heatwave. I hate heating the shop to spray so try to wait for a warmer day to do it. Tim (my partner) does the spraying - although I am on him to teach me how. It's an art with the big sprayer. So now my house smells like lacquer which is a smell I actually like. Strange huh? To me, lacquer has always had the sweet smell of completion. Now they have to cure for several days before I can put the lids on to photograph. I have been working on another box - a smaller one which actually is harder since the pieces are smaller.

Have a great evening everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls:
Yes, Sheri, a garage full of fleeces await me! Tonight we will bag up the fleeces going to the wool pool and just shelve the ones I will have processed as I usually skirt and wash them piecemeal. Once we start lambing, my focus is elsewhere. We shear no matter what the weather about 3 weeks before lambing. So far, so good on the weather. We did have a few cold nights right after shearing but now it's warmed up although it's been wet. Girls have been out grazing the new green shoots the warm weather is bringing. Odd winter.

Rae, I have just accumulated stuff for the sheep as we've moseyed along this sheep path of ours. It seems you never have what you need for an illness and it takes something new every time or what you have has expired. I would do a basic health kit just to start with, and I believe I emailed that you a while back. Add stuff as things come up.

Lambing kit: Nutri-drench, bands and a bander for docking tails and castrating (get fresh bands each year), syringes and needles for shots (we give Bo-Se shots at birth). I like the 20 gauge 1/2" needles and 3 cc syringes. Some colostrum either your flock ewes that you've frozen up some or get some of the fake stuff for emergencies. Bottles and nipples. I like Pritchard teats only...don't even mess with others. A spare pop or water bottle or 2. Some milk replacer for bummers or triplets that you need to supplement. Ear tag applicator and tags. Coats for cold lambs. A box to make a warming box for cold lambs. I use a hair dryer through a cut hole in an apple box lid turned upside down with a hole cut for the lamb to stick its head out (they are usually not ambulatory if they need warming up). I throw it out every year after we're done lambing. You definitely need a tubing kit which comes with the tube and a 60cc syringe for administering colostrum or milk to weak lambs. I buy all of my sheep lambing stuff (except the Nutridrench which I get in town at the feed store) through Premier Sheep Supplies online.

That's all I can think of for now. Of course, this is just my system and who says it's right? Not me. But I don't lose lambs often, maybe one a year and it's usually some little freak thing I miss and catch too late. That's not bad out of 60 lambs or so. Rae, get yourself a good book or 2 on raising sheep. I have several that are go-to books, like Laura Lawson's Managing Your Ewe and her Newborn Lambs. That book is amazing. I believe in a way she goes way overboard on throwing the medicine cabinet at every problem but she sure does cover her bases and discusses lots of different scenarios with sick lambs or ewes. If you've got an issue, it's usually in her book and she covers what to do.

Have a great week girls. Happy trails until next time.

Jami

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  03:19:00 AM  Show Profile
Jami I have the book by Laura Lawson! Funny also because yesterday I got my package from Premier! Ordered some syringes and needles and a hoof cutter! I have gathered old baby receiving blankets and have a baby sweater as well ;-)

I really appreciate the info!! Basil is really growing and ventures a little away from Mom with the other sheep. Of course they are close together and only 5 total but still our little boy is growing up

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  03:58:17 AM  Show Profile
I have just about all the same in my birthing kit with some exceptions. I do highly recommend those books but I also have many that are with respects to herbal treatments and then also animal vet books.

I use canned goats milk along with the powder. I mix half and half and as the water source I use pedialite. That gives them electrolytes and also keeps them from getting the runs which can kill a weak baby. I had those same nipples but I found that regular baby bottles and nipples work for me because I can also poke holes in the nipples to assist a very weak sucking action. I have save many babies of many kinds with this method. yes, you need to know how to tube an animal I have even done llamas. Other things that are always in the kit are saline to wash out eyes, noses, wounds, cords and many other things. I also have rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, plenty of gauzge, bandages, vet wrap, rubber gloves, scissors, scalpules, needles, thread, clamps, clothes pins, safety pins and cotton twine, somthing to take a temp. Then there is the towels, coats, and washclothes that I keep wrapped in plastic inside a plastic laundry basket in the barn for cleaning them off if need be and I can use the basket it contain or carry to the house of need be. I also make a work space in the barn so I can care for any animal without doing it in the general population. In that separate area are all the supplies, a raised table so I can work with being on hands and knees, plenty of light, a chair for sitting thru those long hours, extra blankets for me or animals. I also have plenty of electrical cords for heating lamps, also to run a electric kettle for hot water for bottles, tea for me, warm up water for new mothers and such. I also have my books in a plastic box so they are there when needed. I have molasses and sugar to get energy into a weak mother.

I know it sounds like a lot but over the years this is what I have learned works. Also, if you can take classes from vets, show assoication, 4H groups - anywhere you can I suggest it. I can not even count how many my boys and I have taken and given over the past 13 years and each time you can come away with a trick to save a life or at least know that you have done everything you can. You can never be prepared too much or learn everything in one year so I am still reading, taking classes and talking to folks. That is why this group is important.

As for the herbs there are many books out there that will teach you preparations, requirements, even how to plant them. I will have to go digging to find the books - they are around the house somewhere but I am not sure if my fav's are even in print anymore but I will find them. Farmstead will give you predone herbal wormers, mineral, supplements and such also once you connect up with local folks you can find what you need there.

Sorry for the length but when I teach this class is a day long with tons of hand outs and hands on work. I have just scratched the surface but I hope that helps.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  04:33:15 AM  Show Profile
You all provide such great info. We are getting more and more things that will surely be of help. It just gives a good idea of what to think about. When Basil was born really didn't do a whole lot as Sally was so good she took care of everything. Just made sure he could find her teat and he was off to the races!!!

Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  06:31:52 AM  Show Profile
Your so right Rae - most of the time it is never needed but I can honestly say we have had over a thousand animals on this farm and the numbers do require some assistance. We also have been there for more farms then I can even count with their problems too and always the folks we came to help had no supplies that would have been of use. I even travel with a kit in my truck because I have been known at shows and along the road to assist so my requirements are for the sheer number of animals I come in contact but I sure would not have a single animal without all the necessary supplies.

My motto is hope for the best and always be prepared for the worst..

No new babies which is fine with me - still battling this stomach business which is keeping me week as a kitten but farm life goes on, chores to be done, fiber to be worked and kids to enjoy (at a distant with my mask on and gloves on - no need on spreading the creeping crud).

Hope everyone has a great day - weather is to move in again - I am up to my eyeballs in mud from the quick thaw but that is Colorado - one da 50 the next snow...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  06:57:43 AM  Show Profile
Well I know I am not going to be unprepared again!!! No matter if things are perfect I want supplies and also to be able to help others if they need something, isn't that the farmers creed?

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  07:24:33 AM  Show Profile
Your SO Right Rae

That same kit or supplies have seen their way thru 9 litters of puppies, injuried duck, geese, and countless chickens. Heck I have even doctored us two legged with what is in my vet kits. I found once I moved out here it was up to me to make sure I could do the best I could and know who to call when I was in over my head, which trust me for the first year was most of the time - but we all learn with time.

I have visions of Basil jumping around and getting into all sorts of fun adventures. I so enjoy watching the kids hopping on each other, running until their legs just give out and their peaceful sleeping - that makes all the hard work, heart ache and pain worth it.

I might also suggest if you can get a vet to let you go with them or watch for a day that is great training. My oldest son even did lazer surgery on one of his little icelandic lambs. The sweet thing broke his hind femur and the vet said that he had only observed the surgery. So with my permission and check book Nick and Steve performed lazer surgery to repair the femur. The lamb did very well for about two weeks and then suddenly died of a blood vessel that burst in his brain - it was so sad because that is how Micks father passed - but to this day Nick feels that he did everything in his power for his sweet lamb and would not trade that time for the world.

Well, back to moving furniture in the basement for Nick new baby which is due next month. Finally his childhood dresser is making it way out of the basement along with other needed supplies. Monica I found a way to make somethings go away...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  07:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much Grace! So how many of you here have fiber goats? I am thinking about adding some to my goat farm but have a few questions. Right now I need to get some things done around the house but will post questions a little bit later today. Have a beautiful day ladies!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  07:45:51 AM  Show Profile
Good morning all. Glad to know all is well with you. I was surprised that you have no new babies yet, Grace. I finally got back to some spinning last night - I had a brake band break and with Stitches West going on, the shop I get mine from wasn't shipping. Finally received it yesterday so am back in business. I didn't want to switch wheels in the middle of a bobbin! I am also working on another box. I am getting ready to work on the linings on the ones that got sprayed. I like to give them a few days to cure before I do much with them. It is pea soup foggy here this morning. I'll bet that was a fun commute for those who work in Spokane....

Hope everything is going well with your packing, Monica. Have a great day all.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  10:51:54 AM  Show Profile
Sheri, The packing is moving along slowly right now! A lot of the stuff won't be moved until we actually get moved into the house! Gary did get the new roof finished yesterday so I am very excited about that! If things stay on track we should be moved in the beginning of next month!

Grace, I can't believe the baby will be here next month! How is Brooke holding up? I remember very well that the last month always seemed as long as the prior 8 months! I can't wait to get the Icelandic Lambs Wool from you! I had a bunch of sales including a set of combs so I decided to treat myself, and of course I wanted all of it!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 157 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Sheep and Goats Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page